• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

StuBurns

Banned
Scaling can be a very good thing if you're doing it in the right direction.
Besides, I never said anything about it. You seemed to be suggesting something akin to needing a different version of Direct X for every resolution that people want to run games at.
No, I was talking about a single headset, not APIs. I really can't see why Sony, Valve and Oculus can't get together and produce a unified API for the tracking data and barrel distortions, etc.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So where are the release dates for VR devices? Have those Oculus conferences given any estimates?

Estimates are meaningless anyway. Oculus claimed that they expected to be in stores in about a year in September 2012.

I don't know why but I expected this to be further along. I'm also pretty disappointed that this is going to be limited to PS4. It would probably be pretty cool with the move controllers though.

Metfanant

So where are the release dates for VR devices? Have those Oculus conferences given any estimates?

GDC is a conference for developers..not consumers...hence the choice in naming of the conference itself...

Pricing and release date stuff comes at consumer shows like E3..,

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
No, I was talking about a single headset, not APIs. I really can't see why Sony, Valve and Oculus can't get together and produce a unified API for the tracking data and barrel distortions, etc.

Sigh...
If you had the same headset design and swapped out the screen for a panel that was the same size but a different resolution, getting the new headset to work properly would be trivial. Resolution isn't nearly the issue that the other things are. (and those things really aren't much of one, either) All I was saying.

I don't know why but I expected this to be further along. I'm also pretty disappointed that this is going to be limited to PS4. It would probably be pretty cool with the move controllers though.

That has not been ruled out. They aren't saying anything about that yet.

Sepp

Banned

Valve is working on OpenVR. Obviously MS and Sony will push their own APIs, that does not preclude having different hardware though.

Poor mans Rift, its freaking Move on your head
If this isnt below $100 its a flop

Addons dont sell, look at Move

Move has sold 15 million units. On a console that has sold just over 80M, that's a 18% attachment rate. 15 Million units for an add-on is great numbers wtf are you smoking?

And how could this possibly be under $100?

ido

I read otherwise, I think Valve's version had 2 HD screens.

Where?

Most people who initially tried Valves setup had yet to try the CC, as it had only been demoed once at that point.

Those quotes were in reference to the dev kit.

Move has sold 15 million units. On a console that has sold just over 80M, that's a 18% attachment rate. 15 Million units for an add-on is great numbers wtf are you smoking?

diy-virtual-reality-e1318898368559.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Kinect sold 25 million+ and no one gave a fuck and hardly anyone developed for it. The Move was a joke in comparison and no one developed for them either.

TAJ

The fact they were add ons meant they would have poor support from the get. Has and will always be true until the end of time.

Dual Shock. Boom, headshot.

nbthedude

It looks and sounds very early and rough and I'm not convinced Sony knows how to do it right by what they've said nor that the PS4 has the power needed to push this kind of 3D tech at 1080p for high end games.

Nevertheless, it probably does mean more support for VR tech in general which is good news for Occulus. If a 3rd party supports one, they will likely support the other. But my money is still on Occulus being the superior experience.

The fact they were add ons meant they would have poor support from the get. Has and will always be true until the end of time.

Which has nothing to do with my reply. Move sold well for an add-on and most likely was profitable for Sony, his point was add ons didn't sell, I disagreed, I never argued about the support.

imjust1n

Banned
Who wouldn't want a device that allows them to feel as if they're in the game that is priced very well... I sure would. For the right price and works flawlessly. Take my money sony

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dual Shock. Boom, headshot.

lol Of course that would be the reply.

Sony quickly packaged the DS into with the PS1 and completely fazed out the original. So, I guess that's true. The add on became the default.

Sepp

Banned
Where?

Most people who initially tried Valves setup had yet to try the CC, as it had only been demoed once at that point.

Those quotes were in reference to the dev kit.

Well it has 2 screens, so I guess its reasonable to assume those are HD, but no official specs. I don't remember where I read it.

Which means if it is possible to use this on a computer no games will support it.

The hardware needs the necessary drivers, but PC games will support OpenVR, or MS's solution (probably some add-on to DirectX).

Quasar

Agreed neither of those peripherals had a killer app to really push them. Also both where just used to answer to what Nintendo was doing with the Wii.

I guess not, which is sad. The games I did play with support I did enjoy.

For me the Move allowed me to enjoy console shooters for once. Which is why i was sad to see Shadowfall lacking Move support. I'm rather bummed Sony was unable to encourage more games to include Move as a alternate control scheme.

SparkTR

GDC is a conference for developers..not consumers...hence the choice in naming of the conference itself...

Pricing and release date stuff comes at consumer shows like E3..,

I know, but even when they announced the Move at GDC they had a launch timeframe. Everybody is so coy about a VR release date and I was hoping this would change that (first to the market, get the ball rolling).

wapplew

Sony need to make this easy to use and develop for.
If this thing can turn all non VR supported game like you play it on IMAX size screen, I can see the value of it.

It's a prototype...

And this doesn't look very bulky at all:

i realize it's a prototype.. it doesn't look appealing to me as a device that is meant to be worn on your head. that's my opinion, if that's something you'd strap on your head, cool. but as of right now, w/o seeing footage or a demo of how it actually works and without seeing a more streamlined design, my interest is pretty low for this piece of tech.

I predict a soft Spring 2015 launch. It could be as early as Winter 2014, but I doubt they'll have it together enough and they don't want to step on their normal Holiday 2014 sales advertising other than to mention that VR is coming.

It doesn't make too much sense to wait longer than Spring 2015. The PS4 that the goggles are attached to is a fixed quantity. Because of this I doubt that it would try to target higher than a 1080p output even if newer goggles could support it. So by Spring 2014 the basic capabilities of the goggles should be known. The only reason to delay at that point would be to wait for better hardware and lower prices. However, that ceases to be an issue if Sony treats this like a soft launch for early adopters. It'd be like what Google is doing with Google Glass. Sony could introduce updated VR goggles in the future, if needed, just like they could introduce a new controller design. Nothing would stop the old goggles from working as-is with games along with the new.

Sony should open this up to independent developers, and I'd expect that by Spring 2015 we'd have a good batch of smaller games to show off on the device. Think of all the best VR demos you've seen to date as a starting point for what to expect. AAA games should have a smaller VR mode that wold let you play a portion of the game in VR. As an example, imaging a game supporting a Horde VR mode.

If at all possible Sony should add the capability to the PS4 to display a non-VR image to the goggles. This would allow the Goggles to be used as a replacement for a TV for non-VR games.

yogloo

Reading some of the responses in here makes me face palm.
VR will change everything. Anything to push VR forward is good in my book.

lord pie

Kind wondering how 3rd person games will work in VR. How well the out of body camera works...

In any case I'm happy because this will mean more 3d games and hopefully more 60fps games. Also I'm very interested to know more about their sound tech, which I presume is some kind of virtualization system.

Also this:

2010o.png

:p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Kind wondering how 3rd person games will work in VR. How well the out of body camera works...
Same here. They're saying there's a "God of War" demo, not sure if that means they somehow converted GoW to first person or what.

Same here. They're saying there's a "God of War" demo, not sure if that means they somehow converted GoW to first person or what.
The gow demo this is way back then. Its using gow2. And they convert it to first person view. Just for small arena testing. You can look down and you see you have kratos body.lol

Top Bottom