• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

A-V-B

This is how I feel as well. Playstation Move had much more appeal than this and didn't take off. I really can't see the general public being into wearing this or the Occulus Rift on their face. I think both will flop.

For your sake, I hope you're right. Otherwise you will be laughed at until the day you die an old man.

drgambit

Banned
tumblr_ma1hxfCDPr1qaw1eho1_1280.jpg

Future prototype?

rdrr gnr

I'm VR-curious at this point. I don't reject it wholesale as I did motion controls. Given that it's primary benefit is immersion, I'm interested mostly for its application in single-player games. Something like Skyrim, or the next ES, with good VR support would have great potential, I think.
I think I'm in the same camp. Real potential to make games better not just "different" (which is the kindest thing you can say about motion controls in isolation).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Then it might as well be $400 with the required Move and camera.

This thing is gonna flop like Vita if it's not $200

Who said Move is required?
Maybe you're confused because of the Move-like parts built into the headset or the pictures of the older prototypes?

Prototype

All things aside, I think Sony has really thought this out. Some of the slides for the show are literally right on. Seems they know what they are doing and know what to focus on. It's just a matter of making it affordable I guess.

A-V-B

All things aside, I think Sony has really thought this out. Some of the slides for the show are literally right on. Seems they know what they are doing and know what to focus on. It's just a matter of making it affordable I guess.

Well, their talking points are right from the Oculus presentations, so at least they agree on what should be done, which is good.

Liberty4all

Banned
This is how I feel as well. Playstation Move had much more appeal than this and didn't take off. I really can't see the general public being into wearing this or the Occulus Rift on their face. I think both will flop.

I'm just happy that I'll be seeing a serious attempt in my lifetime.

The 90's VR attempts were ultimately super dissapointing. I'm grateful that I'm alive to see a second run at it. You have to understand that based on watching STNG in the 80's and the promise of VR in malls in the 90's, alot of us thought VR was going to be fact accompli by the turn of the millenium, and were terribly dissapointed when it all fizzled out.

THe fact that it failed to materialize I believe to be one of the driving forces with OR and Morpheus ... We WILL get it right this time. The guys working on it were the same age as me back in the 90's. They want this as much as I do.

EVIL

Who said Move is required?
Maybe you're confused because of the Move-like parts built into the headset or the pictures of the older prototypes?
You will need a vr input device, something move can deliver and from the presentation it's obvious that they want to do just that, use move. Traditional controllers break immersion

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You will need a vr input device, something move can deliver and from the presentation it's obvious that they want to do just that, use move. Traditional controllers break immersion

They're not really any less of an abstraction than other controllers, unless you're talking about something like that custom frame someone made to use both halves on one hand.
And the transcript I read didn't say anything I'd interpret as requiring Move, unless it wasn't accurate or complete.

But thinking about Move-only games is killing my hype. Thanks a lot.

SegaShack

I'm just happy that I'll be seeing a serious attempt in my lifetime.

The 90's VR attempts were ultimately super dissapointing. I'm grateful that I'm alive to see a second run at it. You have to understand that based on watching STNG in the 80's and the promise of VR in malls in the 90's, alot of us thought VR was going to be fact accompli by the turn of the millenium, and were terribly dissapointed when it all fizzled out.

THe fact that it failed to materialize I believe to be one of the driving forces with OR and Morpheus ... We WILL get it right this time. The guys working on it were the same age as me back in the 90's. They want this as much as I do.
I've played a bad VR arcade game before so I understand. I just cant see this taking off to be honest. People need to acknowledge the hardcore gamers aren't everything. At the end of the day most people wont be bothered to spend extra money to pay for a headset to strap on to play a game. I can see some devs upporting this in its first 6 months or so before giving up.

A-V-B

I've played a bad VR arcade game before so I understand. I just cant see this taking off to be honest. People need to acknowledge the hardcore gamers aren't everything. At the end of the day most people wont be bothered to spend extra money to pay for a headset to strap on to play a game. I can see some devs upporting this in its first 6 months or so before giving up.

Non-believers are so cute :)

Don't worry. You'll see the light once these things are out on the town.

The difference this time will be, if they want to they can, it will be affordable and not very complicated... can make a world of difference.

JoeM86

This could be good, or it could be bad.

I feel having it to locked hardware could be severely detrimental to the longevity of the device, and considering the cost that could be a bad thing.

If it works decently, then huzzah. Though with things like this, it's all about the games. You can have fantastic technology and the worst games.

That said, having it as a peripheral, at least two years into the life of the console, it may not take off. Could be like Kinect where it's all big for a short time, then developers just stop caring and the only person pushing it is the console manufacturer.

We need to see more before I can judge.

TAJ

Is that a rigid band that goes around your head? I want to know how you're supposed to wear headphones with that thing.

Headphones don't make contact with that part of your head. They go over the headset.

I've played a bad VR arcade game before so I understand. I just cant see this taking off to be honest. People need to acknowledge the hardcore gamers aren't everything. At the end of the day most people wont be bothered to spend extra money to pay for a headset to strap on to play a game. I can see some devs supporting this in its first 6 months or so before giving up.

That this will be launching, at least, 1~2 years after the console and come with a 3 figure price-tag will limit its appeal. Especially if it's not well supported from the get-go. Sony can say it's a platform, not a peripheral, until they are blue in the face but it's still requiring a PS4 (or PC, if they add that support) and the market may well treat it as such when it finally hits, regardless of how cool it is.

GeoGonzo

I'm hyped! My brother already has a PS4 so I'll probably surprise him and get him this as a present.

Really interested to see how this stacks up with the recent Valve VR prototype
But... Valve doesn't plan to sell their product and wasn't constrained by things like how much it would cost to manufacture and sell it. It is not a fair comparison at all.

Prototype

I'm VR-curious at this point. I don't reject it wholesale as I did motion controls. Given that it's primary benefit is immersion, I'm interested mostly for its application in single-player games. Something like Skyrim, or the next ES, with good VR support would have great potential, I think.

Great post, this has been something I've been wanting for years. I honestly think it's a brilliant idea.

I think something like "Skyrim II" (TES VI) could be a great launching pad for VR.

mass consumer recognition, plus exploration based gameplay (combat has never been great(read: complex)in TES series) and this will work great in VR. I think another important element would be letting everyday people get their hands on it, which would sell them . Sony would need full demos and their reps at tons of stores, gamestops, best buys, malls, toyrus, ect, everywhere basically, because, Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix VR is. You have to see it for yourself.

The way I see it, this is how it will hopefully go down...

1) Hardcore gamer buys VR
2) Hardcore gamer shows VR to non-hardcore friend
3) Non-hardcore friend has a decent chance of going holy shit this is amazing
4) Non-hardcore friend decides he/she wants to buy it if the price is right
5) Non-hardcore friend shows VR to other non-hardcore friends
6)??
7) Profit

Seriously, just look at the reactions from people on youtube to the Occulus Rift. It's like nothing they've ever experienced before. Add in the higher level of accessibility on a console, and you never know what might happen.

I'm pretty sure that the most anticipated VR game, Eve: Valkyrie, will use a controller. Although I suspect that using a flight stick will be an option.

Azriell

It looks so slick and sexy in those pics. I admit, the shape baffles me a little and I don't think I'll fully understand it until I see people wearing it. I'm really excited about this, but part of that is my Rift excitement talking. I'm making assumptions about Morpheus based on Rift, such as only being able to see screen. But OP says prototype models have a 90 degree field of view, while google tells me humans have a field of view of nearly 180 degrees. If I'm understanding this correctly, that is a lot less exciting and will hopefully be changed.

I don't want to spin around while I play, but I would like to wear a headset while sitting mostly motionless, and just letting the game occupy my entire view, in 3D. I also want an ability to turn the motion tracking off, so I can lay in bed at night and play games or watch a movie without disturbing my wife.

Bradach

While I'm very excited for VR this seems like it won't be released for a long time. Hard to get hyped for something probably coming out in 18 months.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I still fondly remember the people who were adamant that the Vita would be 500+ dollars because of all the tech it was packing.
Same with the PS4. Both were priced way below what everyone assumed they would.

Sony is not going to price this thing above 250$, not a chance.

ZehDon

The way I see it, this is how it will hopefully go down...

1) Hardcore gamer buys VR
2) Hardcore gamer shows VR to non-hardcore friend
3) Non-hardcore friend has a decent chance of going holy shit this is amazing
4) Non-hardcore friend decides he/she wants to buy it if the price is right
5) Non-hardcore friend shows VR to other non-hardcore friends
6)??
7) Profit

Seriously, just look at the reactions from people on youtube to the Occulus Rift. It's like nothing they've ever experienced before. Add in the higher level of accessibility on a console, and you never know what might happen.
Nailed it. Add in possible demo kiosks, and the key to selling VR is VR itself. If the VR is good enough to justify the price point, it'll sell.

Carcetti

Well, there's been this 'fad' talk but for me:

- I hate 3D
- I hate waggle
- I hate Kinect
- I loved VR the first time I got to try it on Oculus

hepburn3d

I'm really happy that Oculus now has a hardcore rival. I want to see each team's competitiveness drive this technology through the roof.

Game on!

Top Bottom