• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

Traditional games on VR devices seem like such a waste. I want new experiences and not just rehashed games simply because that is the safe choice that will appeal to a wider demographic.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So 90 degrees... does that mean it won't do fill in the peripheral view like the Oculus?

The Oculus is apparently 90° as well. When they say 110° they mean diagonally.

Now, I'm not sure why GAF assumes Sony isn't doing the same (90° diagonally), but I've not read the whole thread yet.

doby

I get the feeling after GDC Sony will go quiet on VR until E3 2015 when they announce theprice and fall 2015 release. I can already see all the 'where's the VR headset?!' comments after this years e3 conference wraps.

I was expecting more Sony. Specs, release date and ideally a demo. What we got is basically them saying we are working on it, hey look a prototype with tentative specs subject to change.

The design of the thing itself is awful. White and round while the PS4 is black and with straight lines.
Why is this surprising? Vita was unveiled as NGP with a prototype design. PS4 was unveiled without a look at the console, or price. Seems pretty standard way Sony does things now, should get the full look at E3

Thin and angular isn't really a great look for headwear IMO

kyser73

I'm still trying to understand the appeal of this VR stuff. Why would I want to sit at home with a box on my head that makes me unaware of my surroundings? Someone could break into my house, steal all my stuff and abduct my loved ones and I wouldn't even notice.

You should probably give up on sleep then.

Prototype

Looks promissing, now make a Sword Art Online game and it'll sell millions.

Even though I'm always very excited with new technology, Oculus was interesting when I tried it (it's promissing, but I wouldn't buy it as it is... I think people are getting way too much excessively excited), not sure I'd buy the 1.0 versions...

Imagine how many different companies are going to release their VR heasets before one defines the real standards... I don't want to be the guinea pig... really hope this is going to evolve fast, real fas
t.

I could see this gen being Sony perfecting the VR and figuring it out then creating an integrated VR system as PS5.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Edge mentions a couple of things I hadn't seen in other reports:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pot...its-virtual-reality-headset-project-morpheus/

Sony isn’t working with Oculus to unify the development environment, but it is open to doing so and finally, the amount of power required to enable VR means Vita and mobile compatibility are unlikely at this point.

They also mention that the Castle demo will be a two-handed affair, a Move in each hand. Very keen to read about that.

geordiemp

Double standards everywhere.

This Sony unit is a dev kit.

There is no consumer model finalized, no date, no price, no nothing.

No game reviews.

Oculus actually has people(not just devs) playing on it already, with all sorts of games and experiences. And there is definitely talk about a consumer product, pricing and general timeline.

Anyways, sorry to get on you, but lets be real - you weren't interested because you thought it would be some 'PC' thing before. So you ignored it and didn't care about it.

And that's fine. Just glad you're excited about it now.

I am UK based, I have only ever seen Oculus rift online dev kits in dollars on some side forum, the first I noticed it was the Eurogamer coverage and talk about EVE (I have heard or that before......)

If you asked me what an Oculus dev kit costs last time I looked saw some crazy numbers like $ 1500-2000 and its a development kit...

You need to see this from a console guys perspective, if there was a £ 300 Occulus kit that is advertised in UK at some store and there was a game on the shelf I would probably have considered building a gaming PC...

I think Sony will bring this to the average console gamer, hence the excitement its coming my way

Angst

I'm still trying to understand the appeal of this VR stuff. Why would I want to sit at home with a box on my head that makes me unaware of my surroundings? Someone could break into my house, steal all my stuff and abduct my loved ones and I wouldn't even notice.
Wrong, they'd steal everything dear to you and you wouldn't even care about it.

A-V-B

I am UK based, I have only ever seen Oculus rift online dev kits in dollars on some side forum, the first I noticed it was the Eurogamer coverage and talk about EVE (I have heard or that before......)

If you asked me what an Oculus dev kit costs last time I looked saw some crazy numbers like $ 1500-2000 and its a development kit...

You need to see this from a console guys perspective, if there was a £ 300 Occulus kit that is advertised in UK at some store and there was a game on the shelf I would probably have considered building a gaming PC...

I don't remember the Oculus DK1 being 1-2 grand. What on earth?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I dont see this becoming viable until the PS5 or atleast very late in the PS4's life. Just feels pretty ambitious

geordiemp

I don't remember the Oculus DK1 being 1-2 grand. What on earth?

IOK, lets get this straight, from Wiki

The Oculus developer kit was an initial version financed by a Kickstarter campaign. The campaign sought to get the initial Oculus Rift into the hands of developers to begin integration of the device into their games.[16]...In August 2012, Oculus announced that the "dev kit" version of the Oculus Rift would be given as a reward to backers

I see the words Kickstarter, invest in the company and you get a kit called a dev kit...

Is it perfectly fair for a console guy to look at this and dismiss it ?

Anyway, enough of defending myself, the way Occulus pushed itself had zero impact on me at the time, that is not my fault

IvorB

Drool... I will totally get this when it comes out. One concern from the pic is that the aesthetic/design does not seem to match that of the PS4. Can't wait for hands-on impressions.

Yeah... I don't think it has ever been that price.

I don't know, I saw it a year or so ago, don't get on me, If you asked me where to buy an Occulus I would not know.
First of all the Oculus Rift is more available than this Sony prototype (so supporting the latter over the former due to reasons of availability is silly), secondly when it is commercially available I suspect you'll be able to buy it at any online retailer (Amazon).

To be quite honest I don't trust it to be supported. I'd rather have a more open approach to development, such as with Oculus Rift (or really any PC based VR equivalent).

For me it's the opposite, I don't think there's any way a PC-only device would take off. Hell, if it weren't for consoles I bet even gamepads wouldn't be as well supported on PC as they are now. Not to mention that only the big three would be interested&able to create/fund multiple games to give consumers some value early on.

Even just one of the big three pushing a tech may not be enough. Nintendo managed with the Wii (which in turn also benefited the Move, if only for having more software due to various ports of Wii games for the PS3).

The basic tech/application should be the same, so having more platforms with VR support should lead to more third party games specifically designed for it, even if the devices are platform specific.

Seanspeed

Banned

I think Sony will bring this to the average console gamer, hence the excitement its coming my way
What on earth are you talking about? Its a dev kit. You wont find the Sony dev kit in stores, either.

And you've actually been able to buy the Oculus dev kit for a while now(well they stopped just recently), no matter who you are. It only cost $300, not $1500-2000. lol

Stillmatic

So glad this VR stuff turned out to be legit, I can't wait! Hopefully impressions tomorrow are good.

When they mentioned 3rd person games work well with VR too I immediately thought Demon's Souls 2! This has got to happen.

geordiemp

What on earth are you talking about? Its a dev kit. You wont find the Sony dev kit in stores, either.

And you've actually been able to buy the Oculus dev kit for a while now(well they stopped just recently), no matter who you are. It only cost $300, not $1500-2000. lol
The Oculus developer kit was an initial version financed by a Kickstarter campaign. The campaign sought to get the initial Oculus Rift into the hands of developers to begin integration of the device into their games.[16]...In August 2012, Oculus announced that the "dev kit" version of the Oculus Rift would be given as a reward to backers
Sorry mate, but I perceived occulus as something else - I see Dev kit, kick starter and invest and I turn the page.

Don't hate me for it, that was my perception.... Was that my fault or the way Occulus is promoted ?

For me it's the opposite, I don't think there's any way a PC-only device would take off. Hell, if it weren't for consoles I bet even gamepads wouldn't be as well supported on PC as they are now. Not to mention that only the big three would be interested&able to create/fund multiple games to give consumers some value early on.

Even just one of the big three pushing a tech may not be enough. Nintendo managed with the Wii (which in turn also benefited the Move, if only for having more software due to various ports of Wii games for the PS3).

The basic tech/application should be the same, so having more platforms with VR support should lead to more third party games specifically designed for it, even if the devices are platform specific.
For me open support includes independent developers who can deliver new experiences. I use that word because I'm hesitant to attach VR solely to videogames, mostly because I think the technology has a greater potential than what we'll likely get if it is included among the Playstation family.

Big developers will shoehorn VR into call of duty, god of war or other games that were never really made for it. Those games don't excite me and neither will VR if it is just used to "enhance" those type of games.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sorry mate, but I perceived occulus as something else - I see Dev kit, kick starter and invest and I turn the page.

Don't hate me for it, that was my perception.... Was that my fault or the way Occulus is promoted ?
Except that Oculus has been in the news quite a bit since then....

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Something I read about headphone interface has me worried.
Apparently there's a headphone jack on the headset. That's a nice option, but I really hope that you can get the binaural "3D" audio encode straight from the console, too. The DS4 has a seriously weak amp and is basically unusable with all of my headphones except a cheap old pair of buds. I expect Morpheus's to be similarly pathetic.
If I can go through my own amp then problem solved. I could amp the output from the headphone jack but that is not optimal.

west

lets just assume the product is roughly occulus standard..... how much would people be willing to pay ?

me 300 :p i have a feeling it will be pricey

I don't think it will be that expensive. The Rift development kit was 300 dollars. Those where most likely sold close break even, but definitely not sold for a loss.

Now Oculus has some factors raising the production cost:

• The manufactured quantities are small ( Thousands of devkits? )
  • Little in-house part manufacturing, have to shop for parts ( Again in small quantities ).
  • Non-specialized assembly lines ( Again small quantities )

Simply these factors could almost double the price compared to a mass produced version. Sony on the other hand can make all the components in house. Say Sony produces a million units plus, the economy of scale alone would make the unit manufacturing price way lower than the Rift. I don't think an msrp of 199 or lower is impossible,

Now there has been some negativity towards the Morpheus from PC gamers. No, the ps4 will never beat a 3000$ SLI setup, and most likely whatever Oculus is bringing to market will end up technically superior. But in this day and age, who is making AAA games with PC as the leading platform? Valve is the only one I can think of and as Valve themselves pointed out, making good VR experiences is not about patching on VR to existing games. It does not work, causes nausea etc. VR is about new games and above all new design for VR gameplay. For VR to take of for real, beyond the journos and enthusiast, we need big studios behind this along with the indies. If anything this is the best thing that could happen to Rift users, since it will almost guarantee software support for the PC as well.

I don't believe Oculus alone could make a large enough splash to move the market in a new direction, they simply would not reach the critical volume of sales, marketing or manufacturing needed. Naturally the Morpheus has the same issue, an Sony needs to move a lot of units and fast for this to take off.

foxbeldin

I'm not jumping aboard until it's a confirmed successful supported product. I spent too much on accessories or hyped trend that ended up being useless. (my $4K 3D TV says hello)

Your fault. The Oculus has been plastered over both mainstream and hardcore media since E3 2012. Their "promotion" has been spotless, from their point of view.

Something I read about headphone interface has me worried.
Apparently there's a headphone jack on the headset. That's a nice option, but I really hope that you can get the binaural "3D" audio encode straight from the console, too. The DS4 has a seriously weak amp and is basically unusable with all of my headphones except a cheap old pair of buds. I expect Morpheus's to be similarly pathetic.
If I can go through my own amp then problem solved. I could amp the output from the headphone jack but that is not optimal.

The headset is wired so any jack on the headset would be wired as well

I just love the design on this thing, LEDs and all. I know it may not be as good as the Rift will get come another iteration, but I'm really excited that VR is going mass-market.

Hype!

Gothos

I want them to succeed but I fear it will turn out as another useless gimmick just like PS Move... Anyway, it'll be a while before it;ll be widespread enough to justify its purchase - maybe it 2-3 years...

geordiemp

Your fault. The Oculus has been plastered over both mainstream and hardcore media since E3 2012. Their "promotion" has been spotless, from their point of view.

Nah, I work in sales and marketing, if your message does not connect, that is NOT the consumers fault.

Words like invest / dev kit and Kickstarter does not make anything sound mainstream in my eyes...

as I mentioned, the ball is in their court. Sony are open in working with them but they want to go alone. The offer was there but "he" said no.

Anyway, doesn't matter now since Morpheus now exists and ready for making games on.

Do you think that at some point Sony was interested in acquiring them altogether?

From what I heard, if OR took the offer and didnt want to go at it alone, there would be no fighting

Huh.

bmipSeA.jpg

GeoGonzo

This is mostly true, but I still find it perfectly reasonable for console gamers to not have been following all that. We should all simply be happy about these news, no need for petty squabbles.

SighFight

as I mentioned, the ball is in their court. Sony are open in working with them but they want to go alone. The offer was there but "he" said no.

Anyway, doesn't matter now since Morpheus now exists and ready for making games on.

I would have preferred if they joined on this and agree on some basic standard. For now I still see Oculus as the more interesting option. As much as I am hyped for PS VR I feel that there will be much more to do on PC until console content catches up.

And today I excpect OculusVR to present their DevKit 2 (and still small hope for consumer version at the same moment). Very exciting!

Top Bottom