• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Its old footage, at the time they were probably just using an HMZ.

Yup. Even in the public demo just before OR was first shown (using Datura on PS3) they were using HMZ.

Maybe a bit late to Rift and morpheus platform discussion, but the way I see it, someone will probably make driver for morpheus to work on pc and play Rift games, but Morpheus games can only be played on ps4 with morpheus. So if you only intent on buying 1 device, Morpheus is probably the safe bet, unless of course it works terribly.

Not quite confirmed but sounds like they probably will have a theater mode for movies, and maybe other non-VR games? I know there's the usual resolution caveats, but could be cool regardless.

If it can also display 3D blu-rays and conventional 3D games, it would be a serious benefit for me.
My TV can't do 3D, so I would rather buy this than a whole new TV as mine is still pretty great. Also a way to use the device even if the VR software support is slow.

elyetis

Hopefully sony is wise enough to not make this ps4 exclusive, and release PC drivers for it as well. Much like the kinect, Rift, or even the wiimote, this woudl generate a ton of free exposure as people use it for various tech demos, as well as increase the potential market.
It would be nice for us consumer, but I wouldn't get my hope up on that, they pretty much went the opposite direction with the Move & Move.me which still need a ps3 ( thought I do think there is now good unofficial way to use the Move on PC ).
Between that and the limited support Move ended up getting, I really keep limited expectation with Morpheus.

Atrophis

Online articles. Kim Kardashian has more exposure. I'm not arguing that noone reports about it. I'm arguing that it is not plastered all over mainstream media and that mainstream doesn't care.

I gave you links to articles on mainstream media. I'm sorry if your definition of mainstream media is incorrect.

Why don't you start a Occulus thread, this is about Ps4 and Morpheus.

I am sure Occulus will be a great platform for PC, but its not worthwhile trying to promote occulus here...

I'm not promoting anything, we were discussing presence of VR in mainstream media. Feel free to contribute if you have anything worthwhile to say on the matter. Oh wait you're the guy who's never heard of Rift, nevermind.

IvorB

It's so obvious that people are going to log into VR online games like WoW or Second Life and completely withdraw from real life. I wonder if we will have people found in a vegetative state for months plugged into some VR online game. I can just picture it now... *shudders*

Socky

Is there any kind of guesstimate cost breakdown available for the headset? I'm presuming the main cost here is the price of the panels, plus the sensors and casing. I can't see much else that would be very expensive although obviously the quality of the screens will heavily influence the cost.

The second thing I wonder is considering the inputs for the current kit are HDMI and USB, as long as Sony don't go all proprietary cable on us, surely this would be potentially hackable for PC use?

Man

Saw a couple of other slides on Game.Impress.

The Castle seems to be inspired by Mont St Michel - very cool!

21.jpg

20.jpg

A slightly better photo than I've seen elsewhere of the PS3 GoW demo:

07.jpg

Plus a slightly different angle on the set itself:

12.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140319_640418.html
Nice find. I'm going to visit Mont St Michel later this year.

If they could render Wind Waker HD-quality graphics and image quality in VR, I'd be satisfied.
I think Wii is the only home hardware of the last decade that couldn't manage that.
Galactic Barret said:
Won't games programmed for Oculus Rift have high chance of being ported to Morpheus, especially with PS4's architecture? So they aren't really competing, especially with proprietary plug-ins. More like, they would enjoy a symbiotic relationship.
Yeah, this should definitely mean both platforms will get more VR content than either one would've existing alone, since it will mean more reason for multiplatform games to support it.
cyberheater said:
I so wanted that to be real. Well now it is. But not by Nintendo. Late as always to the hardware party.
Or twenty years too early.
EmptySpace said:
that combined with move and ps eye are actually this vr headset, no?

multiple image display? 3d dof? head tracking? gyroscope?
The point is, they stopped bothering to support stereoscopic output with their PS3 and PS4 games.
YuShtink said:
Sorry to be a party pooper guys but I think it's looking more and more like the Rift and Morpheus are both 2015 releases. Not even because the hardware won't be ready, the software just isn't there yet. Developers are going to need time to test and figure out what works best. There has been absolutely no dedicated VR software (even EVE Valkyrie) that looks like it would be ready for release by end of year. I just don't see it happening.
I don't see why this is such a big deal for Rift. It doesn't stop new graphics cards from coming out when games are still being designed around 10% of that power. Thanks to the openness of PC and people who design custom mods and drivers, there's already a fair amount of Rift-compatible software for early adopters to mess with. Steam already has a VR Support category for games that support it officially.
SparkTR said:
So where are the release dates for VR devices? Have those Oculus conferences given any estimates?
Originally was supposed to be like late 2013. I didn't buy a dev kit because I couldn't justify paying more for an early version and the improved version so close to each other, but more and more I wish I knew a year ago that they were just going to keep draaaaaagging on.

Deku Tree

What is the point of unveiling a dev kit prototype that has no release date and no concrete specs and no examples of games it will run with???

hookurs

The last paragraph in the Edge article. Sony is whooping ass

Perhaps it’s a little mischevous to mention at this point that shortly before Sony unveiled its ambitious new tech, its main rival Microsoft had held its own GDC event a few blocks away. It was for the impending launch of its self-publishing initiative, ID@Xbox, and in dashing from one to the other, we couldn’t help but compare the two; where Microsoft was readying a long overdue program that makes its platform more developer-friendly, Sony, having already achieved that, was busy dangling futuristic new technology in front of a developer audience that is already on side. Should we read all that much into this quirk of scheduling? Perhaps not, but in announcing Project Morpheus today Sony has continued to stay one step ahead of Microsoft.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What is the point of unveiling a dev kit prototype that has no release date and no concrete specs and no examples of games it will run with???

Press and Hype. People talking about Sony, the more Sony remains at the forefront of the conversation the better for Sony.

StuBurns

Banned
Well two of those things isn't what happened, there were concrete specs, and they did announce games, but the release date is no different to any other system, developers didn't know the date PS4 would ship when they were given dev kits.

Hype? I'm sure hyped for this, I need VR in my veins stat. My body is so ready, this is so overdue for me - I've been waiting for this since the virtual boy.

Pungza

From the OP

Finally, we've come to Content. "At Worldwide Studios, we have a really good team." Sony's own studios will "seed" the VR landscape, but they need other devs, hence they're here at GDC.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not that how HMZ work. It basically same as 3DTV. Double frame rate spilt one each eye.

lolwut
No, it's two screens side by side, and can show left/right at the same time. Nothing like 3D TVs. And Blu-ray 3D is packed left/right side by side in one frame, btw. (at 3840x1080)

Maxrunner

I sure hope this wont cost more than 100€ and if it costs then bundle it with ps4 for a decent price, otherwise people wont care...

This is a developer conference you know. they had to announce it somewhere, and this gives a chance for those third parties who have been working with it to finally talk about it openly.

iceatcs

The point is, they stopped bothering to support stereoscopic output with their PS3 and PS4 games.
Such BS, there are 3DTV titles support on PS4. Nor the PS3 or PS4 firmware removed stereoscopic support. Only missing is bluray 3d on PS4 which likely will come.

lolwut
No, it's two screens side by side, and can show left/right at the same time. Nothing like 3D TVs. And Blu-ray 3D is packed left/right side by side in one frame, btw. (at 3840x1080)
HMZ don't do split from 1080p screen. It need to have full frame for each eye. Hence like you said 3840x1080

It's so obvious that people are going to log into VR online games like WoW or Second Life and completely withdraw from real life. I wonder if we will have people found in a vegetative state for months plugged into some VR online game. I can just picture it now... *shudders*

Susceptible people don't need VR for that. Actually, with VR they will have to take longer breaks because of how much more uncomfortable it will be after prolonged use compared to a traditional monitor.

geordiemp

Oh wait you're the guy who's never heard of Rift, nevermind.

LOL nice

I saw the words invest / kickstarter and dev kit, I saw pictures of what looked like a mobile phone screen stuck inside a scuba mask...Forgive me for not taking it seriously

Occulus got 2.5 million US in funding, come on, that's ultra small scale company turnover, it is no way main stream. I view them as they are, no more, no less. I sold more than that in my job...LOL..

Sony are a 72 BILLION US$ revenue company.

Look at Morpheus prototype, then look at the scuba mask....come on...

If you think Occulus and Sony are playing the same game you my friend are just wrong, they are not on the same planet.

I hope Occulus takes off and grows in size and becomes mainstream for the PC market, but you have to put things in context.

lolwut

Exactly, and if it wasn't obvious to anyone else from the resolution, the single frame (containing both eyes information) is one eye on the top and the other on the bottom.

I'm very glad Sony are on board with VR. They're saying the right things about framerate and latency. They definitely heading in the right direction. Until we see more of the demos / games and get pricing / release date I find it hard (as a rift dev kit owner) to get too excited about it though.

At the right price, I'm all over this. I'm going to keep following it certainly, but we really didn't learn much of anything new last night. We just had the long rumoured things confirmed. I suppose Eve Valkyrie was a bit of a surprise, but since I'm definitely buying the consumer rift too, when that happens, it's not like it was a game I wasn't already expecting to be able to play.

We're almost there guys. I'd just like to be able to have a countdown clock ;)

Rafy

Maybe a bit late to Rift and morpheus platform discussion, but the way I see it, someone will probably make driver for morpheus to work on pc and play Rift games, but Morpheus games can only be played on ps4 with morpheus. So if you only intent on buying 1 device, Morpheus is probably the safe bet, unless of course it works terribly.

unless Morpheus uses a proprietary connector which is unlikely since it needs to work in conjunction with the ps camera but you never know. Hopefully they use USB.
Also I'd prefer it be wired than rush a wireless version that has latency issues.

TAJ

Well, not exactly.
I had a brain fart about how 3D is sent over HDMI.
It's actually top/bottom with a small, blank buffer in-between. Oh, wait you said that in your post. Missed that somehow.

AngryMoth

So forgive my ignorance here but what is the advantages does using the camera offer for head tracking? Would it not be more cost effective and convenient for the user to use a bunch of gyros and accelerometers like oculus does?

DryvBy

Oculus Rift plastered over mainstream media? Wut? Mainstream barely knows that VR exists and they know jackshit about Occulus. VR is a total niche, mainstream doesn't care.

Uh, ok. No one cares. You do know if you don't want to play VR then you don't have to?

But for those who want to, we'll be able to. And a lot of people want to.

Mirrors edge 2 with this please. I could seriously only begin to imagine the pitfalls in my stomach as I jump from building to building.

I seriously wonder if it can go to the point at which I can't play the game.
*stuck in first level because I'm clinging to the railing screaming "I DON'T WANT TO JUMP OVER THERE, IT'S TOO HIGH"*

Btw a new LBP-esque project from MM would make perfect sense for VR. There should be something people can be creative with, basically a VR sandbox editor.
Imagine all the user generated content from LBP in a VR environment. This would also allow to play crazy stuff with it that would never appear in a big release because a high percentage of people would get motionsickness, fear etc.

StuBurns

Banned
So forgive my ignorance here but what is the advantages does using the camera offer for head tracking? Would it not be more cost effective and convenient for the user to use a bunch of gyros and accelerometers like oculus does?
They both have both.

The camera provides positional tracking to be used in-concert with the motion tracking output from the headset.

It HAS gyros and such inside it I thought. The markers allow for positional tracking too to prevent drift and to accurately track you when you lean, crouch, side step, etc. There's a reason the Crystal Cove Rift has similar markers that get tracked by a camera. It supplements what happens with the other sensors.

I believe the head tracking is using those things, the camera is for positional tracking.

beaten

Top Bottom