• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They both have both.

The camera provides positional tracking to be used in-concert with the motion tracking output from the headset.

Cameras, actually.

This tech seems to be exciting a lot of people. But I want to know how it will affect the eyes and the brain too, since it sits on top of the prefrontal cortex

I believe the head tracking is using those things, the camera is for positional tracking.

I imagine the sensors inside the unit, with some predictive wizardry are handling the most immediate things, with move style trackers being used as a continuous 'calibration' as it were, and there to pick up on the difference between a full body lean and a head tilt.

Atrophis

LOL nice

I saw the words invest / kickstarter and dev kit, I saw pictures of what looked like a mobile phone screen stuck inside a scuba mask...Forgive me for not taking it seriously

Occulus got 2.5 million US in funding, come on, that's ultra small scale company turnover, it is no way main stream. I view them as they are, no more, no less. I sold more than that in my job...LOL..

Sony are a 72 BILLION US$ revenue company.

Look at Morpheus prototype, then look at the scuba mask....come on...

If you think Occulus and Sony are playing the same game you my friend are just wrong, they are not on the same planet.

I hope Occulus takes off and grows in size and becomes mainstream for the PC market, but you have to put things in context.

Dude just stop. You've admitted your ignorance so you are in no position to compare these devices.

You can't even get the funding figures right.

Such BS, there are 3DTV titles support on PS4. Nor the PS3 or PS4 firmware removed stereoscopic support.
I was talking specifically about games from Sony. Looking more closely I guess they didn't stop completely, just mostly. Going by Wikipedia's list, I see Sony with about 7 3D PS3 games in the last half of 2010, 9 in 2011, 6 in 2012, and 3 in 2013. I don't know of any for PS4, but I don't know where there's a list of 3D games for PS4 either.

MaLDo

LOL nice

I saw the words invest / kickstarter and dev kit, I saw pictures of what looked like a mobile phone screen stuck inside a scuba mask...Forgive me for not taking it seriously

Occulus got 2.5 million US in funding, come on, that's ultra small scale company turnover, it is no way main stream. I view them as they are, no more, no less. I sold more than that in my job...LOL..

Sony are a 72 BILLION US$ revenue company.

Look at Morpheus prototype, then look at the scuba mask....come on...

If you think Occulus and Sony are playing the same game you my friend are just wrong, they are not on the same planet.

I hope Occulus takes off and grows in size and becomes mainstream for the PC market, but you have to put things in context.

Is this real world?

This tech seems to be exciting a lot of people. But I want to know how it will affect the eyes and the brain too, since it sits on top of the prefrontal cortex

I have completed Half Life 2 and Doom 3 in VR, with my longest session being, I think, something in the region of 3 to 4 hours. I haven't suffered any ill effects.

I say that as someone who can't stomach wearing my T1 for more than an hour and a half before I get wicked nausea.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wow, the PS4 Camera is $90 on Amazon right now. Dat thirst.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The last paragraph in the Edge article. Sony is whooping ass

Perhaps it’s a little mischevous to mention at this point that shortly before Sony unveiled its ambitious new tech, its main rival Microsoft had held its own GDC event a few blocks away. It was for the impending launch of its self-publishing initiative, ID@Xbox, and in dashing from one to the other, we couldn’t help but compare the two; where Microsoft was readying a long overdue program that makes its platform more developer-friendly, Sony, having already achieved that, was busy dangling futuristic new technology in front of a developer audience that is already on side. Should we read all that much into this quirk of scheduling? Perhaps not, but in announcing Project Morpheus today Sony has continued to stay one step ahead of Microsoft.

Not only with that, but also with:

- Vita Remote Play
- PlayStation Now (Gaikai game streaming)
- And now VR headset for the PS4 (maybe also PC support)

Bishop89

I love the fact the prototype is called morpheus.

Now we just need that fight scene between morpheus and neo (the one) in humorous gif form.

Make me proud gaf. (possibly morpheus wearing the headset!)

Atrophis

Not only with that, but also with:

- Vita Remote Play
- PlayStation Now (Gaikai game streaming)
- And now VR headset for the PS4 (maybe also PC support)

Its a little embarrassing how badly Microsoft seems to be out of touch with future gaming trends. If they announce some crappy AR device now...

TAJ

Please let this stuff take off, it will render 2D monitors utterly obsolete, this shit has to happen

No, it won't. People will probably always want to chill together in front of a screen.

geordiemp

Dude just stop. You've admitted your ignorance so you are in no position to compare these devices.

You can't even get the funding figures right.

The initial funding as of Wiki is correct. If they got more, good on them.

Just stop trying to compare consumer products from a small company that's got a few million in funding to a multi billion corporation.

MS is a competitor to Sony and is mainstream

Nintendo is a competitor to Sony and is mainstream

Occulus is not mainstream.

Deal with it.

these are actually the reason most gamers "hate VR" as these headache inducing non-vr devices were trashing up the market in the 90s.

They were just headmounted monitors, not actual VR.

And I firmly believe that the ones dismissing VR and calling it a gimmick clearly have never used the Rift.

To quote you

Last time I checked BBC and The Guardian are mainstream media and they have published plenty of articles about Rift.
One of my friends works for the BBC and she tried it out when the Oculus team brought a dev kit around for them to test out. So it certainly has gotten attention.

takoyaki

This looks great. Was/Is there a stream of the presentation? Sorry if I'm the 500th person to ask the question, but Dark Souls 2 has basically consumed all my free time.

IvorB

Susceptible people don't need VR for that. Actually, with VR they will have to take longer breaks because of how much more uncomfortable it will be after prolonged use compared to a traditional monitor.

I think when it's VR people are going to take it to a whole new level.

What? It's called the PS4 Camera, not the PS4 Cameras.

That's pedantic to the point of absurdity.

I think his point was that the ps4 camera is stereoscopic so it is actually 2 cameras in one. It allows it to position things in 3D space like the human eye. A standard PC camera is only capable of 2D positioning.

So although Sony and Occ both use Cameras the sony camera is doing more.

Atrophis

You post numbers like $ 75 million and we are supposed to consider that mainstream electronics...?

You serious ?

I am laughing my head off

You're shouting at clouds here, arguing about something that no one is even talking about. What's wrong with you mate? You are trying desperately hard to start some VR fanboy war. It's quite sad :(

My buddy was surprised that the FOV was only 90 degrees. My response that the 40" TV he was watching was probably taking up about 5 degrees of his field of view. 90 is still a lot. Sure, there will be black in your periphery, but you don't move your eyes much at all when you look around, you move your head. It shouldn't break immersion.

Extremely hyped for this. As cool as Oculus Rift is, I don't really feel like Valve is the right company to be pioneering the technology. I would like to actually use a VR device within my lifetime. This could be HUGE.

How many more years to wait for a device until we're actually in the game?

well there is studies on brain/mind movement tests.... really in its infancy

then there is studies in eye movement tech

and lastly studies in dreaming

I say they may be combined into VR starting after 87 years

:DDDDD

your probably dead by then

SHADES

What is the point of unveiling a dev kit prototype that has no release date and no concrete specs and no examples of games it will run with???

Hence why it was unveiled at GDC to gets more dev's on board/input. There's very little point of going any further without it. The more people on board the better the tech matures, better software support, hopefully a competitive price that will give it a better chance of being a mainstream success.

What you don't want to do is come straight out with a release date & price now because that's basically crippling all of the above so dev's wouldn't be able to support it fully in time, the tech couldn't be improved be caused they'd have to mass produce what they have now.

I think Sony have gone the right way about it thus far, but also reminds the mainstream that it's not just Oculus in the race, we have options, win win.

Top Bottom