• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler info from TGS stream

Cerium

Thanks to Exentryk for pointing this out.

Hey guys, so I watched the stream on youtube (it's the first game shown) and wanted to share a little bit of what they said. They didn't really say anything that we don't know and mostly just walked the interviewer through the beginning of Olberic's demo. Here are some points, though.

• They had been quiet since January because they wanted to release the demo worldwide simultaneously. So, unfortunately, they had to hold a lot of information in until that was ready. They really wanted to to the demo because they wanted everyone to be able to see what the visuals looked like running on the switch to increase interest.
    [*] Hard to put the current development progress into a single number percentage, but, as we've seen in the demo, they've got combat, dialog, exploration, etc in the game and working. They're also still refining the visuals.
  • Interviewer was told by his boss not to play the demo so that he could be playing it for the first time during the interview today. He was super pissed that he couldn't play it. Haha.
    [*] Hopefully, there will be plenty of Switches when the game launches so everyone that wants to play it will be able to.
  • When the Japanese say "Octopath" オクトパス they pronounce it the same as octopus. Interviewer thought it had something to do with octopus until they explained the name. Laughs all around.
  • Told interviewer to use Obleric to show off the battles.
  • They really discussed and tested voice acting, but decided to put it in to be a little more immersive.
    [*] It will have English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian text on launch. Sounds like they'll have one version worldwide.
  • Door openings are their best use of HD Rumble. They originally had it rumble with every footstep and it was way too much, so they took it out.
  • Asked a Producer if he liked Romance Saga. He said yes. Interviewer said he was relieved, then. It's in good hands.
  • Developers explain that they intend the flow of battle to be: Find weakness -> Break -> Hit hard with Boost. It's simple, but it can get complex.
  • Interviewer loves Phillip. And Emma Watson.
    [*] Asano said they are looking forward for the feedback and the interviewer said that it will be a lot of work to look into all the feedback and taking notes then he said "but you guys have a year ahead until release" and Asano nodded. Seems like we won't be getting the game the first half of 2018 I guess

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
please make the game not feel like low budget jankware. for example, animating character sprites during cutscenes instead of fading to black every five seconds to make a sprite disappear.

Ozigizo

please make the game not feel like low budget jankware. for example, animating character sprites during cutscenes instead of fading to black every five seconds to make a sprite disappear.

Yeah, I really disliked a few bits like this, and I really, really hope it's just a super early build thing.

Oregano

It's a third party Switch exclusive. They are operating on a shoestring budget, I'm surprised it has VO to be honest.

Oregano

Care to share your insider information about their budget?

You don't need insider info. No one's making a big budget game exclusive to Switch.

That's without getting into specific things about this game like the fact it's developed by Acquire(who are as low rent as it gets) or the fact the last series/games from this SE team were notorious for their horrendous asset reuse.

DrWong

You don't need insider info. No one's making a big budget game exclusive to Switch.

That's without getting into specific things about this game like the fact it's developed by Acquire(who are as low rent as it gets) or the fact the last series/games from this SE team were notorious for their horrendous asset reuse.
Wow what an intel! No third party is making big budget exclusive for any system anymore, period.

Exentryk

Given how busy early next year is, I am glad this is later in the year. Plus I am hoping they'll add another mechanic to the combat, as the current one is a bit too simple for me.

PetrCobra

Played the demo, thought the combat was okay, didn't like the graphics as much as everyone else (especially the strong DOF effect), decided I won't be buying on release. Also I don't really see the point of having eight different stories if you're able to experience each sidequest in every story anyway. Even worse still would be demanding to play through different stories to experience different minor sidequests, which could still happen I guess. Bottom line, I'm not really feeling the whole octopath thing.

Top Bottom