• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Aeana

Alright so I'm loving the writing, aesthetic, and even the gameplay, but I literally can't kill any of the enemies. Am I doing something wrong? I can get them to "break" but then I keep attacking and nothing happens. I'm on the battle with Primrose's creepy master and I die after 2 turns without making a dent. Can someone explain what I'm missing/doing wrong?

For that battle, get him down to 1 shield left with your dagger, then use the ability that boosts your elemental damage, and then break him with another dagger attack, and then max boost and use your single-target dark elemental ability. Repeat.

Wamb0wneD

Alright so I'm loving the writing, aesthetic, and even the gameplay, but I literally can't kill any of the enemies. Am I doing something wrong? I can get them to "break" but then I keep attacking and nothing happens. I'm on the battle with Primrose's creepy master and I die after 2 turns without making a dent. Can someone explain what I'm missing/doing wrong?

- Did you get a better weapon at the shop in town? Silver dagger helped me out a lot.
- Use your boost. Either to break the enemy even more often, or to boost your defense.
- Also I leveld up to level 5 i think before doing the boss. Took me like 10 minutes.
- Focus the small guys first so you get less damage. I had to use 2 or 3 healing items as well.

For that battle, get him down to 1 shield left with your dagger, then use the ability that boosts your elemental damage, and then break him with another dagger attack, and then max boost and use your single-target dark elemental ability. Repeat.

I literally always forget about abilites or their equivalents in every RPG, ever.
Thanks for the help. You da bomb

Wait what?
you can see from here
DJppjUnUQAAXlSw.jpg

DJpprCzU8AEetM9.jpg
using boost will level up the abilities, up to lvl 4 (max) instead of multicasting it

Kinsei

Banned
The Primrose chapter made a really bad first impression. The story was tired and tropey and the combat was dull. The boss was way too tanky. He wasn't difficult, he just took for fucking ever to kill.

It seems extremely likely it's going to be $50 plus. I'm expecting a full blown jrpg here with something like 80 hours of gameplay. I could be wrong but that's the precedent from Bravely Default, etc.
This saddens me because I remember when Final Fantasy games were once full blown, complete experiences.

I know there are some people out there knocking the graphical style, but if it allows us to reclaim that "full experience" that Square USED to be known for on a regular basis, so... fuckin'... BE IT!

Aeana

The Primrose chapter made a really bad first impression. The story was tired and tropey and the combat was dull. The boss was way too tanky. He wasn't difficult, he just took for fucking ever to kill.

About 3 boosted casts of her single target dark element spell with the +elemental damage buff on should do it.

Delio

yes lol finally beat that damned Captain of the Watch!

that was hard

edit:
Jewel of Vitality eh

Yeah i made sure to beat him before i turned the game off for the night. Love the battle system and the game is super pretty. Cant wait for this.

ReaperXL7

Downloaded the game, played some of both of the available characters and then promptly deleted it. This is definitely an easy purchase so I'd like to not dig too deep right now. I'm hoping this demo and the fact that they seem to be working on the translation already means that it's going to released this year.

Kinsei

Banned
About 3 boosted casts of her single target dark element spell with the +elemental damage buff on should do it.

I wasn't going to waste a turn on a buff that might not have significantly enhanced my damage output when it seemed like the speed buff I used earlier in the fight did nothing.

Downloaded the game, played some of both of the available characters and then promptly deleted it. This is definitely an easy purchase so I'd like to not dig too deep right now. I'm hoping this demo and the fact that they seem to be working on the translation already means that it's going to released this year.

I wasn't going to waste a turn on a buff that might not have significantly enhanced my damage output when it seemed like the speed buff I used earlier in the fight did nothing.

she's already a fast character. seems speed boost isn't high enough to make her double the enemy

Aeana

Well, as long as you understand that it was your error that caused the boss to take a long time to kill.

Rayis

Just finished the Primrose story, I really liked the game! I spent 2 hours playing a demo which I almost never do, now to play with the other character.

Wamb0wneD

you can see from here

using boost will level up the abilities, up to lvl 4 (max) instead of multicasting it

Ohhh yeah now I see. Never realized it, just noticed they are stronger lol.

Abide + Boosted weakness = 1000+ damage

Yeah I did 2.5k+ on the boss in Olberics portion.
Abide > Weakness > Max Flurry (6SP sword skill) = wham bam bodied.

Not sure about Primrose, but can probably do something similar.

Wait I forgot already, kinda busy with other stuff right now, is abide the state the enemy is in when you did a break on them?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Spent about an hour on the swordsman scenario. Few thoughts:

- Music is on point. Immediately hooked on the battle music. I hope that each character will have their own leitmotif, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

- Combat system is fun and intuitive. Easy to grasp but I can already see the potential depth. Looking forward to seeing a party setup or other abilities.

- Graphics is a bit of a mixed bag. I am a huge fan of the style, but sometimes the lighting is a bit wonky and things are fuzzier than I like. Doesn't feel completely smooth either.

- Ui is super barebones. I would like to see a bit more flourish. How about a character portrait with that gorgeous art during dialogue?

- story is standard fare, but I haven't gotten to Primrose yet. The expositional dump is super duper awful though. It's a shame, because the multiple strand narrative structure is really amenable to just dropping a player into a character's life and letting them figure things on their own.

Lots of potential here. Looking forward to delving in later on.

Just finished the Primrose side, I absolutely loved it. I've spent the last 30 minutes gushing to my wife and friends, can't wait to check out the Olberic chapter tomorrow!

- Graphics is a bit of a mixed bag. I am a huge fan of the style, but sometimes the lighting is a bit wonky and things are fuzzier than I like. Doesn't feel completely smooth either.

It's the depth of field. I hate it when developers use this technique. It's as bad as crap like chromatic aberration. It's ugly, and kills performance.

Omnicent

Ohhh yeah now I see. Never realized it, just noticed they are stronger lol.

Wait I forgot already, kinda busy with other stuff right now, is abide the state the enemy is in when you did a break on them?

It is a skill that increases your damage for 3 turns for Olberic. I think Primrose has a similar skill.
Basically get the enemy to 1 shield, abide, break their shield weakening them, use 3 boost orbs to use a skill at Max power (use your strongest skill).

phanphare

Banned
finished the boss on primrose's side and then kept going

man, that desert area was so good. the way you can move forward and backward and the way things are revealed in the foreground and background was really cool. I can definitely see myself getting lost for hours exploring every nook and cranny of this game.

also once I figured out the boost system, exploiting weaknesses with a certain number of boosts, and using support the battle system became really fun

this is my most anticipated game of 2018 and it honestly seems poised to become a modern day classic. love everything about the demo. like someone else said my only complaint was the transition into battles. seemed crude in the sense that I doubt it'll be like that in the final version.

great demo though. will probably do the other character tomorrow and explore some more in primrose's save.

BigPete

Just ran through Prinroses first chapter and this game is fantastic. I haven't had this much fun with a JRPG in ages. I am so absolutely in love with this game. The pixel art, lighting, and music are all beautiful and really create a wonderful atmosphere. I was also surprised a bit with how mature the story is. Probably won't be letting my 9yr old kid play this one yet. At any rate definitely a day 1 purchase for me.

Logash

Is anyone elses download going really slow? I mean the game is like 700 mb and it says 9 hours. I thought maybe it was my internet but I am getting 200mbps.

Kevtones

I like the Saga Frontier-ish concept. The look reminds of Suikoden so that makes me warm inside.

'Octopath Traveler' is on par with Bravely Default in terms of name.

Aeana

I like the Saga Frontier-ish concept. The look reminds of Suikoden so that makes me warm inside.

'Octopath Traveler' is on par with Bravely Default in terms of name.

It makes more sense than Bravely Default.

8-path Traveler. It's pretty straightforward, I think.

jholmes

Maybe watch some gameplay or play the demo? The Easy allies stream was really fun to watch.

Don't have a Switch, can't watch video right now... didn't think "Is this basically SaGa" was too much to ask a thread with a bunch of people who have played the game

Top Bottom