• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler's art style is a must for future Remakes.

Whether I enjoy an artistic expression of not does not mean it should be used for other things or not used for other things.

Appreciate this thing.

Maximo

Has there been a poll on GAF, asking if people like the artstyle in SoM Remake?
I'm getting a vibe that it could be 50/50.

I think after Octo reveal, I'm a bit let down, but it still looks alright and carries my interest.

I feel more don't *like it* but more accepting of it cause its a miracle were getting a remake at all.

CrassHoppr

Neo Member
I want this look for a Final Fantasy 6 remake. Would drastically cut down on the dev time needed for such a thing. Budget, too.

Not necessarily. Companies can hire a crappy third-party developer desperate for work that can wobble together some crappy 3D environments/textures (like in the SoM remake) a lot quicker/cheaper than it takes to find quality sprite artists these days.

Lots of people accept the SoM remake graphics because it's become the norm these days, and if they didn't grow up with pixel art, it just seems "old and boring" to them. But the truth is this stuff has absolutely no sense of artistry or uniqueness, everything is created at the absolute minimum standard and made "simple to recognize" so it appeals to the greatest common denominator. It probably makes them more money in today's market, but I sure don't like it.

zhixson

I think it looks kinda tacky, personally. Like somebody cranked every filter to the max with zero regard for how it looks.

I would KILL for a FFVI remake with this style.

It's not perfect and the style could be refined further, especially with the filters, but the vibe is just right.

Kneefoil

I'd prefer the FFVII remake treatment, but if we're sticking to a lower budget, it would be a good choice for remaking, say, Final Fantasy VI. Though they should ease up on the depth of field, and other visual filters and effects.

RPGam3r

I mean I love Octopath's look, but I also think SoM look looking good too. I wouldn't want this to be the default look. I appreciate the variety.

zeopower6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lnvBXy68Q

More of this.

Project-Octopath-Traveler-3.jpg

Less of this.

017-740x416.jpg

The complaints about SoM are pretty dumb imo. They made it that way because they wanted to do other remakes as well. [Adventures of Mana and Rise of Mana before that one] 2D was an option too but it would have meant remakes would have been unlikely.

Octopath IMO looks lazy. Yes, even lazier than the 3D.

Gestault

The complaints about SoM are pretty dumb imo. They made it that way because they wanted to do other remakes as well. [Adventures of Mana and Rise of Mana before that one] 2D was an option too but it would have meant remakes would have been unlikely.

Octopath IMO looks lazy. Yes, even lazier than the 3D.

So count me among those thinking that this art style will be more constricting to artists who want different looks than some realize, but the last thing I'd call it is lazy. Since you reference SoM, I find it even more surprising. Looking back at something like Threads of Fate on PS1, that's worlds better execution than SoM for straight-up 3D art design.

Kade

The lighting ruins it. Makes it look like a game with all the shitty lighting and shader mods enabled at the same time.

Dice//

Banned
The bloom is kinda ridiculous.

I actually really like bloom, especially in cases like this where it can make some of the 'jaggies' appear less apparent.
Hell they should have used it with the Final Fantasy X to hide some of its ugly.

If anything I could see the blurry depth of field getting old as well as the really dark vignette around the edges of the screen.
Project-Octopath-Traveler-min-700x394.jpg

Pepboy

I actually really like bloom, especially in cases like this where it can make some of the 'jaggies' appear less apparent.
Hell they should have used it with the Final Fantasy X to hide some of its ugly.

If anything I could see the blurry depth of field getting old as well as the really dark vignette around the edges of the screen.
Project-Octopath-Traveler-min-700x394.jpg

Good points. I think the walking speed might also get tiresome. The video made it seem like it will take forever to walk around. But I suppose that could get improved.

Widge

As someone who absolutely loved Secret of Mana, I am completely ok with how the remake is looking. It pretty much mirrors the original game and injects a bunch of life into the environments. We've seen it is taking notes from the Android port and is doing pretty much a 1:1 2D -> 3D of that.

What Octopath is doing would look utterly wrong for Secret Of Mana. Wrong sort of look, the angle is wrong... once you start to erode these things, you completely lose what it is that makes Octopath so striking.

I'd be completely behind saying this is how the FF series should be upscaled though. It'd work there.

BumRush

I'd rather FFVI wasn't remade into this weird mix of filtered and unfiltered textures, mismatched tile art and sprite art that doesn't fit into scenery. And what's that graphical artifact on the sprites when the camera is moving in the battles? Pixel crawling?

This game get A for effort, it's an interesting idea, but for me the quality is very uneven. I don't want to call it half-assed, but there's odd looking stuff in this game. You can see black outlines surrounding some textures, the kind you see in a poorly configured PS1 emulator.

I definitely agree that the filters need work for sure. I just feel that it captures the mood of FFVI

Top Bottom