• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix scammed Kickstarter backers to create Tiny Metal?

Aurizen

From their Facebook Page

1rQAg04.png

That post is now deleted

dsier

This sounds truly horrible. And while I’m definitely no expert in law, this sounds like it is highly illegal.

Grinchy

Banned
Whether it's true or not, donating on Kickstarter is a good idea only like 5% of the time. Those are bad odds. Stop playing bad odds.

autoduelist

Whether it's true or not, donating on Kickstarter is a good idea only like 5% of the time. Those are bad odds. Stop playing bad odds.

eh? i have a 100% success ratio. it's not bad odds if you ensure you invest in things you want that appear reasonable.

just because some investments might fail doesn't make investing a bad idea.

eh? i have a 100% success ratio. it's not bad odds if you ensure you invest in things you want that appear reasonable.

just because some investments might fail doesn't make investing a bad idea.

I haven't had quite that good of a record -- still waiting on some projects that are extremely late like That Which Sleeps, and Yatagarasu never got the promised GGPO -- but I agree there's no way any reasonable person is going to fail 95% of the time in choosing a Kickstarter. I have no idea how you could even do that.

Obviously this scam is unfortunate.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Project Phoenix Answer:

TINY METAL Programmer about 2 hours ago
Calm down guys, we had an ex-employee who it turns out has made a career of sweet-talking his way into jobs he is not qualified for. After causing months of pain for everyone in the office we bit the bullet and bought out his contract. Afterwards I heard from people he worked with in past companies that he has been fired from about 5-7 game companies so far.
After he was let go with a generous severance package (about 3 months salary, money he did not earn by any definition of the word). He then turned around and stopped paying his rent thus trying to extract more money from us. So when he claims Project Phoenix money was used in TINY METAL keep in mind the truth is everyone except him has worked hard and at times with zero pay to be able to get investment for TINY METAL for the exact reason that we never used Project Phoenix money for TINY METAL. In fact other employees lent him money and had their own paychecks delayed so he could be paid on time.
Likewise when he writes "I left" the truth is "I was fired 3 months ago and am only writing these lies now because I want the company I barely contributed to, to pay my rent while I go on holidays to America with my severance package instead of paying the rent I owe".

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/comments

Is it normal for companies to slam someone that personally? Usually they say disgruntled employee... or we are looking into the matter... etc..... Maybe I’m just misreading this though..

The explanation makes zero sense. Why would a former disgruntled employee with a fairly long track record and good relationships in the industry risk exposing this if it was false? How does the former employee not paying rent prove anything?

Isn't it far more likely that what the employee said happened is accurate, particularly since literally zero visible progress has been made on this game in four years? I mean whoever is running the project has resorted to re-using assets that were presented years ago and calling them "new". Even the project creator posted this past week that he was counting on Tiny Metal to convince investors to back Project Phoenix. Considering many times the estimated budget was raised in the campaign, it doesn't make sense that investor funds would be needed to move forward, unless the campaign funds were squandered or spent on something else, like a different game.

From my perspective as a backer, it's pretty clear now that this was indeed a scam and that the game will never be made. Hopefully nobody else, including outside investors, loses any more money into this sinkhole.

CANLI

When I see those things, I'd never let my sons do game programming in the future.
In this industry, you'll never know if after 1 2 years, you still will be there.

WaterAstro

Only time will tell if this is true or not. If the game gets made or doesn't get made, we'll know the truth.

I'm always skeptical about kickstarters.

zpiders

4 years and not a single screenshot for a game that has a release date of 2015? If this isn't a scam, I don't know what is.

synce

Yes I totally believe this company's response given that they have literally nothing to show for years of development other than a completely different game.

I'm really tempted to believe this claim from a 'disgruntled ex-employee.' There has been rumours for years that this kickstarter has been fudged and each time an accusation is made, the creator puts out an update with an 'apology' that usually includes some concept art or something etc.

Just to show I supported this project:

Z1lKFx5.png

I sank $60 dollars into this when it was funded over FOUR years ago now. Since then the team has been through major revisions, they've told us all about these other projects staff are committed too and asked us to check them out etc. 145 updates later and we are nowhere near any kind of deliverable target or product. I've just accepted that I lost my money and no game will ever come out.

Something has happened here and it really needs to be investigated. Especially when the kick starter creator is making comments like this in his updates:

"I'm sorry this update is a little rough, I've been working around the clock but I really had to get this update out. Feel free to comment about the game, leave feedback and I'll try and get back to everyone as much as I can. And I'll just ask one more time, please, don't beat me up this update. I'm almost at my breaking point."
I legitimately believe this project is dead and gone. There's no point in denying it further.

EDIT:

Jesus christ, have you seen this comment? I guess they just want to piss everyone off. I don't want to go to old topics that have been and gone, I just think it's pretty bad to make a comment like that in regards to a situation they are no part of.

Blam

Jesus christ, have you seen this comment? I guess they just want to piss everyone off. I don't want to go to old topics that have been and gone, I just think it's pretty bad to make a comment like that in regards to a situation they are no part of.

What the fuck? Jesus this man is pandering to an unknown degree, and I honestly don't understand why he even brought up this?

What the fuck? Jesus this man is pandering to an unknown degree, and I honestly don't understand why he even brought up this?

Deflecting. I think the truth about this project is coming out. Using the recent commotion from GAF to re-direct the topic of conversation away from the big con that was this Kickstarter.

Aonuma

Well is this outcome better or is something like the mess of Mighty Number 9 better? They're both terrible, but maybe a different game is better than no game or a crappy mess of a game, at least from a zeitgeist perspective (since the backers are hosed either way).

Rodolink

It's all very fishy, I also backed them up (their really cool "promise" of a game got me, sadly I looked over the flaws (seggregated dev team, unknown director etc) )
And with the last backer update, it makes everything all more confusing. But whatever, it's a kickstarter and it could fail too, sadly it felt indeed as a scam specially with the Tiny Metal thing

RIP, to the wallets of those involved. I was really interested in Tiny Metal, I didn't know about this project so unfortunately I might not pick it up. I havent had a bad time with crowd funding yet, but I am very particular currently waiting to see how Re:Legend falls through,

Durask

Count me in among the duped. Well, $60 is not a big deal but of course it stinks that I was scammed by a con artist.

Of note, I backed a few more game projects and so far all of them have resulted in a game. Granted, more than half of them turned out mediocre but the people involved all delivered a game as promised.

Wulfric

Because their Project Phoenix scam thread is 6 pages long at the moment and two members mentioned they know Lacy.

Top Bottom