• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix: Squad-based RTS with Uematsu & industry veterans [Kickstarter Up]

Reveirg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

---

Full reveal on August 11.

From Gematsu:

Creative Intelligence Arts today announced plans to develop Project Phoenix, an indie Japanese role-playing and real-time strategy game hybrid utilizing a team of “top developers” from the east and west.

The game is the “brainchild” of Creative Intelligence Arts founder Hiroaki Yura, will feature art direction from Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIV‘s Kiyoshi Arai, and have music led by Final Fantasy series composer Nobuo Uematsu.

Several members of the team have yet to be announced, but one is a secret designer from “a leading anime mecha title that changed the course of Japanese pop culture’s influence in the world.”

Other members of the team boast credits from works like Final Fantasy, Halo 4, Crysis 3, L.A. Noire, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Soulcalibur V, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryoiki no Deja vu, and more.

A Kickstarter seeking $100,000 to fund the game’s development will launch early next week. Backers will have the opportunity to secure digital and limited edition physical copies of the game, and the chance to be featured in the game as a non-player character (bar owner, etc.).

Stretch goals will include “the creation of additional areas, graphics and cinematics,” as well as “the talents of Grammy Award-winning sound engineer John Kurlander and the Eminence Symphony Orchestra bringing the music of Uematsu and his composers to life.”

The game follows the story of Ruffles, an amnesiac angel, who encounters a Templar named Marcus Stern after landing in the world of Azuregard. Together with Princess Sylrianah, a reserved woman curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts, the group must discover their place in a world brought to war by misunderstanding and ignorance, and “perhaps ultimately even save it from itself.”

The game is being targeted for a mid-2015 release on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Visit the game’s teaser site here. View some concept art at the gallery.

Artwork/Logo said:
6b612083aa394d958b3135ebc574ac93.jpg

61932a2a889f41c896e16bc562f8e116.jpg

3d9cd8db986f4ae48bbd98e6e5e33176.jpg

9311628a3ac44244859345aa89748b3d.jpg

From Hiroaki Yura's twitter:
Regarding the Kickstarter minimum goal, we've set the goal enough to create our 3D models. Most of our staff are veterans in their field and do not need to be paid immediately for our work for this project. And as with all indie devs who put stuff up on Kickstarter, we are all afraid about being able to reach our goals. Some of us may be somewhat famous but we're just people, and we really don't think we're special in any way. We just work real hard towards a passion we all have, which is to create an awesome game.In the end, we are listening. The fans are our boss and we all love JRPG! So please keep giving us feedback!

From the Project Phoenix twitter:
we are working hard to finalise the contract for the PS4 and PSVITA platform. We'll let you know soon

From the project's Facebook page:
Message from the Director, Hiroaki Yura in regards to iOS/Android port of Project Phoenix:
Why iOS/Android platforms? The thing is we want our game to be accessible to a wide range of people but when we are ready to port to other platforms, we don't know how developed the iOS/Android platforms will be.
The plan is, if it plays well on these platforms, we'll simply port it. If it don't, we have other exciting plans!
Never will our game set the PC/Mac/Linux standard to match these portable devices so don't worry!

Interesting!

I'm definitely looking forward to the kickstarter launching so we learn more about this. Mid 2015 is so far away though, its hard to feel excited. The concept art looks really good though.

Can't for all the "jrpgs get a phoenix down" headlines either :p

Reveirg

Release on iOS/Android makes me believe the quality won't be console-like, but they seem to be offering physical release for PC so that's a plus.

duckroll

Isn't Hiroaki Yura an Australian violinist? I saw him perform at a videogame concert here by Eminence. Mitsuda was there too. He's making games now??

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Only 100k?

Could be neat, though.

Yeah...

This whole thing reads like an April Fool's joke. And the official twitter according to the official site is suspended. lol.

And it looks like Creative Intelligence Arts is a music company? This is their site. I can't read japanese though so I'm not sure.

Either way, looks like this thing probably won't be worth the hype that a lot of the words and names in that post are going to generate.

Other members of the team boast credits from works like Final Fantasy, Halo 4, Crysis 3, L.A. Noire, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Soulcalibur V, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryoiki no Deja vu, and more.

These credits are less impressive when you realize that many of these credits could be attributed to Hiroaki Yura (who has the copyright on the official Project Phoenix site). He's a musician & runs a music group.

So they've got an art director & a bunch of music people - who are they getting to actually design & program the game? Moreover, if they're going all out with famous composers & what have you, that $100k kickstarter goal sounds miniscule. They must have outside funding.

The game follows the story of Ruffles, an amnesiac angel, who encounters a Templar named Marcus Stern after landing in the world of Azuregard. Together with Princess Sylrianah, a reserved woman curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts

These names sound like something stump would spit out to make fun of the idea of a crappy East/West hybrid RPG game.

duckroll

So where's the evidence that there are any old S-E or Blizzard staff working on this game? As far as I can see nothing has been announced.

100k for all of DAT? I don't believe it. At all. Though it does sounds promising.

I don't know, they mention ios as a platform so one imagines the scope might be more limited than what it seems. Whole thing seems a bit fishy, although I'd love to be wrong.

Shengar

I don't know, they mention ios as a platform so one imagines the scope might be more limited than what it seems. Whole thing seems a bit fishy, although I'd love to be wrong.

If it iOS, then that would explain everything, including the RTS part of the game. I love to wrong about it though.

So where's the evidence that there are any old S-E or Blizzard staff working on this game? As far as I can see nothing has been announced.

The (suposed) background of the team is quite surprising and varied:

Final Fantasy, Halo 4, Crysis 3, L.A. Noire, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Soulcalibur V, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryoiki no Deja vu

From Halo 4 to Steins;Gate...damn.

duckroll

The (suposed) background of the team is quite surprising and varied:

Final Fantasy, Halo 4, Crysis 3, L.A. Noire, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Soulcalibur V, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryoiki no Deja vu

From Halo 4 to Steins;Gate...damn.

That doesn't mean anyone actually ever worked at the developers who made those games:

These credits are less impressive when you realize that many of these credits could be attributed to Hiroaki Yura (who has the copyright on the official Project Phoenix site). He's a musician & runs a music group.

So they've got an art director & a bunch of music people - who are they getting to actually design & program the game? Moreover, if they're going all out with famous composers & what have you, that $100k kickstarter goal sounds miniscule. They must have outside funding.

Coxy

insofar as neptunia is a game from SE staff lol

it could have potential I guess but I'm pretty wary of the RTS, amnesiac and other aspects listed there

Gundam? Macross? Evangelion? Guilty Crown?

code geass, valvrave, quality plot!

That doesn't mean anyone actually ever worked at the developers who made those games:

So a guy that directs orchestral recordings for games and films is making an Indie Japanese JRPG? Sounds random.

Also:

Hiroaki Yura (born July 21, 1981) is a Japanese violinist who is the founder and Artistic Director of the Eminence Symphony Orchestra in Sydney, Australia.

Stretch goals will include “the creation of additional areas, graphics and cinematics,” as well as “the talents of Grammy Award-winning sound engineer John Kurlander and the Eminence Symphony Orchestra bringing the music of Uematsu and his composers to life.”

Hm.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Finally, a story about an amnesiac who meets a sheltered princess and sets out to save the world.

You need to send that big-ass list of RPG cliches that someone did like 10+ years ago around to all the JRPG devs. Seems like most JRPGs nowadays still have half that shit in it so obviously they haven't seen it yet. Maybe we need to translate it into Japanese.

duckroll

So a guy that directs orchestral recordings for games and films is making an Indie Japanese JRPG? Sounds random.

Like I said, I saw him perform before. Pretty weird that he's launching a game Kickstarter without any mention of actual developers who could design and make the game.

Dinda

Sounds great! But also kind of not, i don't know.

No matter what, i hope this kickstarter will be very succesful and make waves in Japan.
Japan getting on the Kickstarter (or crowdfunding in general) train is the best shot we have in getting "real" JRPGS in the Future.
I said a for a while now, but something like that in combination with the indy friendly nature of the new consoles (don't you dare pull a Nintendo and exclude Japanese Developers from this Sony!) could be really interesting.

Pooya

so, looking at their actual press release, a somewhat different wording here:

The Project Phoenix Kickstarter is seeking $100,000 to fund the programming and artistic development of the game.

so the money is specifically for programming and etc, sounds like they want to get it funded then hire somebody later to do the work. Possibly not including their own payment for their work? still $100k is little for hiring some programmers. They can get one or two guys full time for a year :v

edit: oh and another bit:

Game director Hiroaki Yura

there we found the game director, he's doing it himself.

Faustek

Mobile...this has me worried.

I don't really care for watered down console/pc releases that fit mobile.

But if it's just watered down on the mobile side and the pc/handheld/console is fully complete then sure.

Edit:spelling...

Reveirg

Feel free to edit the title to reflect that. The Gematsu article was kinda ambiguous on that subject. It mentions Hiroaki Yura and Kiyoshi Arai and THEN says "Other members of the team boast credits from works like ..."

I think it's safe to say that Hiroaki Yura must have many friends/contacts at S-E/Blizzard/etc. considering he worked on with them on numerous occasions.

As for the 100k target being low... I don' t think we should expect a AAA-like game or anything close, but a small-scale indie game featuring some nice talent.

Some quotes from Hiroaki Yura's twitter:
Regarding the Kickstarter minimum goal, we've set the goal enough to create our 3D models. Most of our staff are veterans in their field and do not need to be paid immediately for our work for this project. And as with all indie devs who put stuff up on Kickstarter, we are all afraid about being able to reach our goals. Some of us may be somewhat famous but we're just people, and we really don't think we're special in any way. We just work real hard towards a passion we all have, which is to create an awesome game.In the end, we are listening. The fans are our boss and we all love JRPG! So please keep giving us feedback!

And this exciting tidbit from the Project Phoenix twitter:
we are working hard to finalise the contract for the PS4 and PSVITA platform. We'll let you know soon

With S-E displeasing many fans lately, Atlus' future being uncertain, I think it's great to see familiar japanese talent joining the Indie bandwagon.

Top Bottom