• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix: Squad-based RTS with Uematsu & industry veterans [Kickstarter Up]

Clott

Damn! I really want to back this but the story is putting me to sleep already. I have already played this game, plenty of times.

duckroll

"It is within these tumultumous times that the troubled paladin Marcus Stern encounters Ruffles, an angel stricken with amnesia. Together with the elven princess Sylrianah, reserved but curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts, they form an unlikely bond. These four heroes must discover their place in a world brought to war by misunderstanding and ignorance, and perhaps ultimately even save it from itself."

This sounds like Eragon level writing. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My five minute take:
+ Great to see Japanese indies period. Great to see Japanese devs leveraging global development and crowdfunding
+ Great to hear a substantial non-F2P game being worked on for mobile platforms
+ A few good names
+ Concept art looks great
+ Music sounds great

- The project goal seems like nonsense. Assuming no team members other than those already listed, that's $6,600 a team member. That's not going to sustain development for more than a month or two. Now admittedly some of these people are contractors, but still this is not going to be done for $100,000 so they obviously are either committing to make a game they don't have the capacity to make or they already have outside funding on the hook and this is sort of a scam advertisement. Not a big fan of that. The disclaimer provided in the Kickstarter is gibberish as well. Okay, so these people are all going to work for free on this project until it's completed? And no one will drop out or not be able to complete work in a timely fashion or have another professional obligation that interferes?
- Concept doesn't really sound interesting at all
- Stupid character names

It might have been better to maybe... uh... prove that all these people are willing to work for free by launching the Kickstarter when they actually had some game to show.

epmode

True. But anytime I see a game that is going to be ported to a phone platform I get worried about the quality of the game that is going to be produced.

In my experience, any PC game that is co-developed as an iOS/Android game ends up with a half-assed interface on PC. But developers have learned that iOS-exclusive games do terribly on Kickstarter so a token PC port is almost always offered.

Assuming no team members other than those already listed, that's $6,600 a team member. That's not going to sustain development for more than a month or two. Now admittedly some of these people are contractors, but still this is not going to be done for $100,000 so they obviously are either committing to make a game they don't have the capacity to make or they already have outside funding on the hook and this is sort of a scam advertisement. Not a big fan of that.

Pretty much. I've given a lot to projects like Project Eternity and Dreamfall Chapters so I don't have a problem with giving money to established developers but this feels manufactured in comparison. It's sad to see because I would love a thriving Japanese independent/crowd-funded scene.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm unsure what to make about it.
To me, the essence of old school JRPGs are great characters, good story embedded in a charming world. The story writer thinks that "linear story" is a bad thing, which it isn't at all. Every good story is linear to a big degree. Linear story != Linear world.

Let the Steins; Gate guy write the story! :p

Artwork looks awesome, although the character seem to be very cliched; and yet again, teenager. :X
Where do all the teenager come from? On SNES you played man not boys for the most part.

Nowadays I hate chibis tho. :X Must be due to android/ios crap...

Anyway, Uematsu does the music so it's an insta back, but only at a low price point.

jschreier

de81444ae6fc18df4d60a88f7f2080f0_large.jpg

Great product placement. No wonder they're only asking for $100,000.

duckroll

- The project goal seems like nonsense. Assuming no team members other than those already listed, that's $6,600 a team member. That's not going to sustain development for more than a month or two.

Noooooooooooo don't you get it???? The $100k is just to make the 3D models they need! They're paying subcontractors to make those because 3D modelers are dishonorable and unprofessional people who actually demand MONEY for their work! Everyone else listed on the team so far are PROFESSIONALS, so they are willing to work for free until the project is done! That's why there is NO CHANCE of the game not being completed! I don't see why anyone is worried about this! Especially when the producer and director is a violinist and music industry manager who has zero game development experience! I'm sure there is NOTHING to be worried about! PROFESSIONALS! :D

Coxy

what an offputting video, puts them on about the same level as image epoch, the last self proclaimed SAVIOUR OF JRPGS

Negator

what an offputting video, puts them on about the same level as image epoch, the last self proclaimed SAVIOUR OF JRPGS

I was about to post this, as I really did get the same vibe from the video. But at least this has some talented people behind it. More than I can say for Image Epoch.

Fisico

Noooooooooooo don't you get it???? The $100k is just to make the 3D models they need! They're paying subcontractors to make those because 3D modelers are dishonorable and unprofessional people who actually demand MONEY for their work! Everyone else listed on the team so far are PROFESSIONALS, so they are willing to work for free until the project is done! That's why there is NO CHANCE of the game not being completed! I don't see why anyone is worried about this! Especially when the producer and director is a violinist and music industry manager who has zero game development experience! I'm sure there is NOTHING to be worried about! PROFESSIONALS! :D

This is the american way, those ones worked on Crysis and Halo, of course they want money, whereas the japaneses work for free !

duckroll

I was about to post this, as I really did get the same vibe from the video. But at least this has some talented people behind it. More than I can say for Image Epoch.

Image Epoch had Niinou. He was pretty talented. Too bad the only Image Epoch game he directed which was localized was... Black Rock Shooter. Lol.

I can't say the same here though. They don't have a single game designer who I have faith will make a game which feels like a good JRPG. It... isn't even a JRPG!

Instro

"It is within these tumultumous times that the troubled paladin Marcus Stern encounters Ruffles, an angel stricken with amnesia. Together with the elven princess Sylrianah, reserved but curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts, they form an unlikely bond. These four heroes must discover their place in a world brought to war by misunderstanding and ignorance, and perhaps ultimately even save it from itself."

Duckroll is a mod with internal conflicts, so mysterious.

Negator

Image Epoch had Niinou. He was pretty talented. Too bad the only Image Epoch game he directed which was localized was... Black Rock Shooter. Lol.

I can't say the same here though. They don't have a single game designer who I have faith will make a game which feels like a good JRPG. It... isn't even a JRPG!

If it's not a JRPG, then why are you worried about them making a bad JRPG!?

I don't know, it sounds like every Dragon Quest game ever to me and I like Dragon Quest.

Steffen Unger's enthusiasm is contagious. You can tell he is giving this project his all

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/820/956/de81444ae6fc18df4d60a88f7f2080f0_large.jpg?1376251791[IMG]

Great product placement. No wonder they're only asking for $100,000.[/QUOTE]

I was skeptical at first but fried potato girl won me over <3

wmlk

They could have put together a better Kickstarter video. You know...maybe have some form of gameplay or something? All I hear are promises.

I'm not too concerned about anything else just yet, though. I get the story sounds generic and all with the amnesiac angel and the princess who wants to see the world, but I think that's the point. They're trying to make it a throwback or an archetype to most JRPGs, but they're trying to make it different enough to where it's enjoyable. How? I have no idea. Like I said, gameplay for something that sounds that generic would have been nice. Character design looks good, though.

Hopefully a lot of people support this. I want these guys to do well...mostly because of Uematsu and Yura. Either way, I'll need more of a sample size to go on with.

Herla

The whole thing sounds shady as fuck, but I can't help but feel intrigued.
And, if Ni No Kuni taught me anything, sometimes a simple story can be the best story. Is anyone familiar with the writer?

Dropping $20 for now, let's see if keeping the pledge will be worth it...

Durante

- The project goal seems like nonsense. Assuming no team members other than those already listed, that's $6,600 a team member. That's not going to sustain development for more than a month or two. Now admittedly some of these people are contractors, but still this is not going to be done for $100,000 so they obviously are either committing to make a game they don't have the capacity to make or they already have outside funding on the hook and this is sort of a scam advertisement. Not a big fan of that. The disclaimer provided in the Kickstarter is gibberish as well. Okay, so these people are all going to work for free on this project until it's completed? And no one will drop out or not be able to complete work in a timely fashion or have another professional obligation that interferes?
That's my primary issue with this project. And it's a huge one, particularly if it's the "scam advertisement" kind.

I'm not at all opposed to lobbing unreasonable amounts of money at kickstarter projects, but only if they are genuine in their goals and requirements.

Vaughan Smith doesn't even appear in the L.A. Noire credits according to MobyGames. WTF.

According to his resume, he was a member of the L.A. Noire QA team.

There's nothing wrong with starting in QA and working your way up. It is rather sketchy to try to paint him as some industry veteran responsible for the success of a major game though.

Reveirg

Have you guys ever heard of a passion project?

It's not outlandish to believe they assembled ~15 people of small to mid-tier industry experience to work on this.

This money will never reach our members as salary. Our members are working on this game knowing that they will receive a royalty of the % of income based on how much time they've spent on Project Phoenix.

Our vision for Project Phoenix to revive the concept of the JRPG is quite lofty, and each one of us is well-known in our respective field of work. We&#8217;re putting our reputations (and honor!) on the line, and no matter whether we&#8217;re artists, game designers, musicians, programmers, or scenario writers, we&#8217;re committed to see this all the way to the end as we donate our blood and sweat to make a JRPG that aligns with our passionate vision and present it to the world, and not just Japan. We would love to hear what you all think!

The missing piece of the puzzle that will make Project Phoenix awesome is one that requires outside help: the 3D modeling. In our pursuit of making Project Phoenix dynamic and immersive, we&#8217;ll be relying upon Steffen Unger and his team of 3D modelers, whose works include game franchises as Crysis and Halo. So all funds raised through Kickstarter will go towards making the 3D models and making sure they&#8217;re as polished as possible.

With their reputations on the line I'm hopeful the project will come to fruition. We're talking about veterans.

Have you guys ever heard of a passion project?

It's not outlandish to believe they assembled ~15 people of small to mid-tier industry experience to work on this.

With their reputations on the line I'm hopeful the project will come to fruition. We're talking about veterans.

Doesn't seem particularly shady or complicated to me.

Vamphuntr

I don't think people from all these different genre of games can deliver what they want to do.
The game designer that worked on LA Noire, The Art Director that worked on FF games, the lead 3D modeler that worked on the Halo and Crysis series and the soundtrack will be done by Uematsu. I will also ignore the fact they throw Diablo 3, Tenchu and Skyrim on their resume too. What a mix :/

Donna Burke is involved and that's really cool I guess.

There is also this jewel in the pitch :

Our vision for Project Phoenix to revive the concept of the JRPG is quite lofty, and each one of us is well-known in our respective field of work.

Imageepoch style!

Goal seems ridiculously low for the game they want to make. Concept art screen looks bad too.

God luck for them though.

They list 6 artist leads/directors/supervisors under the staff & yet they need to raise money to hire artists to actually make the 3D game assets. It's like everyone wants to be in charge, but no one wants to actually do the work.

Reveirg

They list 6 artist leads/directors/supervisors under the staff & yet they need to raise money to hire artists to actually make the 3D game assets. It's like everyone wants to be in charge, but no one wants to actually do the work.

Well, that's legitimate since they're working on it for free/in their spare time... they get to use their talent for the fun part.

Thus, the need for money for the grunt work.

Well, that's legitimate since they're working on it for free/in their spare time... they get to use their talent for the fun part.

Thus, the need for money for the grunt work.

The only way something like this could possibly work is if the free staff is fully commited & dedicated to the game; not if they're treating it as a hobby & just doing the "fun part."

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A squad based RTS and it's being developed with iOS in mind?

No. Thank. You.

Nice talent lineup though, shame.

According to his resume, he was a member of the L.A. Noire QA team.

There's nothing wrong with starting in QA and working your way up. It is rather sketchy to try to paint him as some industry veteran responsible for the success of a major game though.

Yeah that sounds sketchy :( As far as I can see the only actual game veterans are Kiyoshi Arai and Nobuo Uematsu, and as good as their art and music are, they couldn't save FF XIV 1.0, so I'm really not sure what to think about this project.

All I want is depth in the gameplay (combat / character customization / good job systems) and exploration. Couldn't care less about the story. If it has that, then great.

A squad based RTS and it's being developed with iOS in mind?

No. Thank. You.

Nice talent lineup though, shame.

"we're reviving JRPG!"

*makes a RTS*

And seems like iOS and Android version will be quite different?. Sounds like they're doing a separate version rather than just using iOS as base, which is what probably what are they doing.

Top Bottom