• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Q could revive Sony's relevance in handheld gaming reaching millions.

Neofire

One can hope but I'm skeptical because of the nature of the handheld that they are releasing. Stream only? I dunno if it will make a huge impact in the handheld space.

The Alien

Banned
I dunno. I dunno if something like this is necessary. The Switch is great - and still uses physical cartridges. It's not dependant upon internet connections.

They r saying the battery life is 3-4 hours which isn't that long tbh - and anyone who has experience using these types of things will tell u its more likely closer to 2-3 hours than 3-4.

I prefer MS's approach: GamePass sub & cloud gaming w/instant compatibility to tens of millions - if not hundreds of millions - of devices I already own (cell phones, tablets). Also compatible with a variety of existing controllers (PS5, XBX, etc.).

So it it cool? Sure.
Would I consider it? No.

consoul

Christopher Lloyd Realization GIF

OP had me going for a minute

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's already a meme and in the Spanish gaming community it has raised the "Sony always copy Nintendo" once again, so doubtful... Zero hype but laughs

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Sigh. Day 1, and the earbuds as well. I'm such a sucker for HW. Still have 2 PSTV, PSP, and Vita.

Seriously though 8 inch screen and two shoulder buttons, I'm in.

Reactions: TLZ

Shifty1897

If it's $199, I could see it selling a million or two units lifetime. It's never going to hit the mainstream, because it requires a separate $500 machine to function.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Summoning games via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or 5g is phenomenal when it works.

Nintendo switch is better, you’re not streaming.

sainraja

I think Sony is doing it wrong. They always get something wrong with their handheld devices. For one, it should not be streaming only. It should still have its own set of native games that it can play along with the remote play capability and it should allow developers to use it as second screen for maps and such.

It is a big missed opportunity.

GHound

Anyone who thinks this is going anywhere other than the same place the PlayStation/Vita TV went (the bargain bin and then discontinued) is delusional. This is a solution looking for a problem that may exist, but the problem already has multiple solutions and some of them people already have on hand.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Fuck the haters.

I'm in if it's priced appropriately. Two kids and a wife. I'm lucky if I get the TV at night these days and I don't have anything else to remote play on except my phone.

StereoVsn

Was thinking a bit more about it and if it's Android with Play Store and a decent SoC chipset, I would pay like $300-400 no problem.

Well, except for the size, that's pushing it way too much.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I think Sony is doing it wrong. They always get something wrong with their handheld devices. For one, it should not be streaming only. It should still have its own set of native games that it can play along with the remote play capability and it should allow developers to use it as second screen for maps and such.

Making dedicated mobile games takes away resources.
I think the best solution would be to give you the option to somehow download the game if you own it. This would separate it from other devices and be worth the premium. They could still give the streaming option if anyone prefers or if the storage is limited.

Last edited:

Nope. Splitting Sony dev teams to work on both PS5 and native portable games would be a massive mistake.

sainraja

Nope. Splitting Sony dev teams to work on both PS5 and native portable games would be a massive mistake.
They don't need to split up their dev teams. They can set up different teams to focus on it.

Making dedicated mobile games takes away resources.
Sure, but if we want them to release a portable handheld, we have to expect that.

I think the best solution would be to give you the option to somehow download the game if you own it. This would separate it from other devices and be worth the premium. They could still give the streaming option if anyone prefers or if the storage is limited.
That is what I am saying. Games that can run on the thing should be able to run on it without any issues. If a game just won't work, that is fine as well, it can use the handheld in other ways (e.g. the mini games in Rift Apart could be played on the handheld.)

Mr Branding

Not sure why everyone is so negative. I think a lot of people play handhelds at home. At least it will be high quality games with high quality real controller.
It's ps5 accessory more than a handheld though.
If I get it, it's nice to use on some days when I want to lay in bed or I am sick or something....
Implying Switch and Pc games aren’t high quality, lol. Repeat after me: Switch and Steam Deck play games natively..

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Last edited:
They're going to struggle to sell it just on the concept of streaming I think. Q isn't really portable, it's portable with a 'but' and experiences will vary massively depending on signal strength. Steam deck already does everything Q does and also has its own internals to run games discreetly.

That said, I've been really surprised at the quality of using chiaki4deck with the ps5 wired into my router. I was always against streaming due to the image quality hit and input lag but I've been playing phantom pain and hogwarts and it pretty much feels like they're running natively.

supernova8

Banned
We can now take the latest in technology on the go with us, no matter if we are in the bathroom, outside in the garden, or at a vacation house in Jamaica, you will now always carry the authentic experience with you.

Lol if you actually read it, it's a troll post.
Maybe that's part of the troll - showing how people will just open a thread and comment without actually reading what it says.

Jay Z Applause GIF

jm89

They could have done a bit more to make it more appealing. Give people a good reason why they would get this over using their phone with a dualsense mount/backbone.

Everything just feels like it's being sent to die. No idea what the long term play here is. Maybe they add ps premium cloud streaming in the future.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Introducing the Q U.
Now your wife can watch Next Top Model while you can game on your PS5, in the living room. So she wont moan that you left her alone and also you keep playing.
Come on Sony, I can't do marketing for you all day.

Drizzlehell

Banned
look-guys-its-project-q-v0-nwan7jtgqy1b1.jpg

Genius design, really.

The fact that they basically just chopped a PS5 controller in half and stuck a big ugly tablet screen in between two halves makes me think that: 1) they have no idea what they're doing, or: 2) they don't give a shit.

So not only does it look ugly but it's basically a redundant device that only the most hardcore consoomers are gonna be excited about because any regular person will simply use their regular phones and tablets to stream those games.

As far as handhelds go, this must be one of the shittiest ideas that Sony ever had. They should either make a proper handheld or just don't do anything at all and keep investing in PSVR 2 first-party games.

X-Wing

Fuck the haters.

I'm in if it's priced appropriately. Two kids and a wife. I'm lucky if I get the TV at night these days and I don't have anything else to remote play on except my phone.
I hear you. I want one too.

Announced at the showcase scandal people are mad about (didn't see it) Project Q was announced at the PlayStation showcase as the companies third entry into handheld gaming. This time however they are learning their lesson and throwing out everything proprietary, and instead choosing to go with a remote play streaming device. What people don't understand is that this is the most important project Sony has announced in decades, because it's adds upwards verticality to Sony's outreach.

The Project Q tablet is made to remote play your PS5 games on the go, including the UI interface as has been shown so far. It will reportedly have the battery life to rival current favorites in the field, and comes with a halved Dual Sense controller to produce an authentic gaming experience. This device at the unconfirmed rumored price of $199 is already going to be a big deal, but this goes beyond gaming:

• Right now there aren't any interactive tablets on the market. this means that people who may not have been interested in a PS5 or gaming in general, will see this as a step forward in how we interact with tablets everyday, leading people to consider them serious gaming devices for the first time.
  • The battery life is reportedly long enough for any player from the hardcore fan to the mom leaving work at the club needing some downtime, that will pressure the player into longer games instead of the shorter lowscale games generally associated with tablet play.
  • Having PS5 level games on a portable without compromise removes that feeling of having to compromise on your potential. We aren't seeing something stripped down to run on outdated 7 year hardware anymore, we are seeing the future. We can now take the latest in technology on the go with us, no matter if we are in the bathroom, outside in the garden, or at a vacation house in Jamaica, you will now always carry the authentic experience with you.
  • Real controllers included for the first time on a standard tablet framework instead of a shoddy accessory from a third party. You are now playing the same way as you played at home on your TV.
  • Accessibility. If you are handicapped, lost your house, involved in a flood, are always working at the office, always traveling city to city, or need something for the kids to do because the TV repair man hasn't come, you now have full access to your PlayStation 5 anywhere at any time, no matter what the situation.

This creates a form of interactive intersectionality that crosses over into audiences that go way beyond what a PSVita or Switch could contemplate because it's for more than just your average gamer or hardcore Playstation fan. Its for your child, your mom, your dad, your grand father, joey the construction worker, Timmy no legs in the wheel chair, this is reaching a much bigger audience without sacrificing the authentic experience.

Then there's the Turbine in the Woods that people haven't noticed. They announced Project Q just in time a week before June and what is June? LGBTQZ month! Project Q(ueer) will also be taking advantage of the festivities next month reaching millions of people worldwide who are aiming for a world of inclusivity, which Sony is now providing to all gamers for the first time.

The real Playstation showcase was the diversity that Jim Ryan showed us along the way. It's always good to see a gaming executive so Forspoken about his beliefs.

sony-playstation-showcase-project-q-9fa9.png

Here is a pictures genius in one thousand words. -Frederick R. Barnard
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

My favourite part is where Sony threw out all "proprietary" stuff

Sakura

Sigh. Day 1, and the earbuds as well. I'm such a sucker for HW. Still have 2 PSTV, PSP, and Vita.

Seriously though 8 inch screen and two shoulder buttons, I'm in.
This is why Sony is making this device. There is probably a pretty decent profit margin on it. Even if only half a million goobers buy this thing, they will still make millions. It isn't supposed to be anything more than an overpriced, niche product, just like their stupid controller that costs 200 dollars.
I think Sony knows very much what they are doing.

Davevil

Every thread on this device leads me to believe that it will never see the light of day

Last edited:
If the price is good then I'll be getting this.

Playing anything without Dualsense features feels really lacking now, so if I can get that without being glued to a TV for a few hours it is ideal.

nbkicker

Seriously waste of money in my eyes, youve got yr ps5 connected to a tv wtf do u want to play on a hand held that cant run its own games it can only stream from the ps5 to it

Top Bottom