• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scissors (Clock Tower spiritual sequel) announced (Vita/iOS/Android)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/20061927.html

hyzPQGh.jpg

RryYFHV.jpg

UFb2ACu.jpg

RbyR6uJ.jpg
Okay wow I didn't realize Ito was involved. Hype rising to higher and higher levels.

Guess i didn't read it closely!

This looks pretty cool. I like the original Clock Tower, so another game in the same vein sounds good to me. The ocean liner setting appeals to me as well.

Endesu

Here I thought CT had died with Haunting Ground. Nice to see it was still kicking around in the minds of a select few...

Looking forward to hitting this up on Vita.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Horror and Vita, music to my ears.

Inb4 sales snarky comment.

Ito hasn't done any games since SH3 (aside from art for card games), so it's going to be fun to see what he can come up with for the horror genre after all these years.

ang2d5c3l.jpg

sandlandkiddq.jpg

scu2s5edi.jpg

Sounds pretty cool. I love stranded vessel stories for some reason. There's something really scary and unique about isolation at sea.
This reminds me of Sur-de-Wave's thriller adventure Nostalgia 1907 (X68000), where you have to investigate the cruise ship you're voyaging on for bombs and defuse them. Difference is, Project Scissors is going to bend around horror.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
OMG

Mantears.

How I miss Clock Tower. ;_;

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
New Clock Tower on my Vita!?
hope it's successful enough for them to make a Nextgen CT
* The horror genre has changed a lot since the release of the original CT games. Has Kouno's opinion of how to make horror games also changed?
Kouno: Many recent games focus on action, and/or zombies. Others like FPS games try to be horror, but aren't. If Project Scissors isn't focused on being a real horror experience, there's no reason to make it.
I hope Kojima takes note, before its too late.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What? Implying P.T. wasn't scary, or that you think Silent Hills will be first-person only?
Atmosphere wise it was great but the rest was meh, couldn't do anything and nothing actually happened, might as well been an episode of Most Haunted.
I think I was more panicky by being locked in a room with PyramidHead in SH2 or by a confrontation in Clock Tower then P.T's first person peekaboos,
And the woman shaking at the end of a hall has been done with Nurses in SH before, but they actually pose a threat, in P.T she didn't.
And I don't know, people want it to be so maybe it is.

Atmosphere wise it was great but the rest was meh, couldn't do anything and nothing actually happened, might as well been an episode of Most Haunted.
I think I was more panicky by being locked in a room with PyramidHead in SH2 or by a confrontation in Clock Tower then P.T's first person peekaboos,
And the woman shaking at the end of a hall has been done with Nurses in SH before, but they actually pose a threat, in P.T she didn't.
And I don't know, people want it to be so maybe it is.

Hasn't it been confirmed that Silent Hills will be mostly third-person? Either way, I really don't see first-person being too prevalent outside of these teasers. Although, I'm hoping for some first-person moments in the actual game.

When I played P.T. I never felt safe. The lighting and general feel of that hallway was really freaky to me. I never wanted to interact with that ghost, ever. I thought the idea that something is there whether you see it or not was super-effective.

SerTapTap

Noice. Glad it's coming to Vita, even if it's going to control all by touch I prefer to have it on Vita over phone.

What is it, for you, that defines the Clock Tower series and that you’re trying to recapture in Project Scissors? On the other hand, what are you doing differently with Project Scissors? Perhaps it’s something you’re able to do with today’s technology, or maybe just in terms of fresh ideas – anything that will surprise fans?

Hifumi Kono, Designer: One of the most important aspects of this project is to let the original game concept naturally evolve. That is, the central concept of running and hiding. While it’s easy to come to the conclusion of a combat system as an evolution of this concept, that would muddy the original core concept and would inevitably make the gameplay end up like so many other existing games.

Instead, I think a challenge we need to overcome here is in incorporating more ideas that arise from analyzing the concept of running and hiding in order to allow the game to progress along a more orthodox path.

We can of course visualize the game in ways we couldn’t in the past, though. For instance we could place a camera inside a closet the player is hiding in so that the player can peek through the gap in the closet doors to make the scene dramatic and tense. The branching narrative will also be more complex and interaction with other survivors will be very important in this game.

Completing the game will probably be harder, but we’re trying to implement mechanics that will allow the player to enjoy the game without it just being frustrating. We’ve actually already laid out the specifications for the game, and we’re currently moving forward with development. We hope you guys are looking forward to the finished product!

What direction are you giving Masahiro Ito for his work on the creatures and props in Project Scissors? What does he personally bring to the game’s design?

He’s just full of talent and comes up with incredible design ideas that most people would never think of. However, if his ideas are either too unrealistic or out-of-this-world, it may be at odds with the atmosphere of the original title, so sometimes I have to ask for designs closer to what you might find in real life.

He also isn’t simply a designer but also comes up with a lot of ideas for visual presentation of the gameplay as well. Listening to those ideas and talking them over really helps my own creative process too.

In what various ways will we interact with the other survivors on board the ship? Are we just trying to protect them? Do they each have abilities or insight to offer, perhaps? Does it matter if any of them die, or will that just be scripted anyway?

While I won’t spoil any of the details, interacting with the other survivors in a variety of manners will be a very important aspect of the game.

You might have to calm individuals down who look like they may panic and make a commotion, thus drawing the killer to you, or maybe you’ll need to pry out important clues from certain individuals who might be withholding crucial information. This is why it’ll be important to try and keep as many survivors alive as you progress through the game.

Of course, you’ll also likely be able to just let them all die, so we’re planning on adding plenty of branching points that will accommodate the storyline for such a turn of events.

Is Project Scissors primarily designed for touch screens, and if so, how does it control? If not, how are you ensuring it works well on touch screens?

It’s being designed primarily for touch screen controls. We decided to go with a point-and-click interface like the original, so I think touch screen controls will work very well.

Of course, this input method isn’t as good in terms of its synchronicity with button inputs and character movement, but I feel that this better simulates the lack of control you have over your body when under intense fear (many people have probably experienced this in a nightmare) and in turn in its dramatic effect.

Can we expect Project Scissors to be released in the west, and do you have a rough guess of when that might be, or perhaps when you expect to finish work on the game?

Of course we’ll be releasing the game overseas as well! Developing a game strictly for Japan is unthinkable nowadays. “Clock Tower” will be reaching its 20th anniversary in late 2015, so we’re hoping to release the game around Halloween.

And on another note, I wanted to give you some news I’ve been giving to those who kindly requested interviews after we announced the project, which is that Nobuko Toda, well known worldwide for her work as a composer on games like the “Metal Gear Solid” series and “Halo,” will be joining our team!

I’m really looking forward to see what kind of music she’ll be making for our game. We’re also actually planning on adding more big-name development personnel to our team in the future, though we can’t make an announcement for any of them quite yet. Look forward to future updates!

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/2...j-horror-game-always-wanted-project-scissors/

He also mentions that he and some friends are funding the game (although after the announcement others have offered to help and they're currently negotiating). Which obviously limits the budget, but also excites him because they aren't bound by company contracts. And he says that because the reception has been so positive that they're now looking into higher end platforms.

Also, Toda being on board is awesome. For those that don't know, she was responsible for MGS4's Love Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Odu44wYk4

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We just posted the very first look at the main antagonist in Project Scissors, sketched by the amazing Masahiro Ito.

We posted it on Twitter: https://t.co/dmYEvIQq02

B6CBHU5IYAA3ldx.jpg

We've got plenty to show in the near future, but we have to keep things under wraps for now!

Maffia

Neo Member
I'm jumping on the hype train for this game!

From what I understand they don't own the actual rights to Clock Tower if I'm not mistaken. It would of been nice to get a Clock Tower collection (First Fear, 2, 3) to go along with this game.
Thank the heavens this is coming out on an actual console and not just ios and android. I'm not even sure how enjoyable this game would be on a phone, wouldn't it ruin the atmosphere?

Fady K

I'm jumping on the hype train for this game!

From what I understand they don't own the actual rights to Clock Tower if I'm not mistaken. It would of been nice to get a Clock Tower collection (First Fear, 2, 3) to go along with this game.
Thank the heavens this is coming out on an actual console and not just ios and android. I'm not even sure how enjoyable this game would be on a phone, wouldn't it ruin the atmosphere?

Should be fine hopefully; the Corpse Party series on the PSP (and soon, Vita :D) proves that horror can be done right on handhelds. Another very good example is Silent Hill Origins and Shattered Memories, both worked great on the PSP in my opinion.

Top Bottom