• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Triangle Strategy demo discussion - available now for Nintendo Switch (new SRPG from Octopath Traveler devs)

Music wise we will see, but in my opinion the entire point of a demo is first impressions. The Octopath demo was chock full of amazing music that all made it into the final game. Several amazing town themes, battle themes, and even character themes. Granted comparing it to soundtracks like Octopath is a bit unfair, because not many games have soundtracks that great period.

I do want to fill out the survey because I think the difficulty needs tweaking. Right now the demo feels too difficult/punishing for a newer player. So I'd say either tweak the difficulty or allow the player to grind out levels in random battles to even the odds to their liking.

You're right Octopath's demo music was really great and varied. Keep in mind though the Octopath demo released 10 months before the game, whereas this game only has a "2022" release date and we're barely into 2021. So this game has a lot more time to bake. I'm sure they're still composing because they haven't written all the scenarios yet to know what music they need.

I'll pay attention next time I try to see that dithering effect you mentioned. Honestly, I'm not sure I want grinding in a tactics game. I think that's more fitting for an rpg (and one of the reasons I don't play jrpgs). I'd rather just have a difficulty selection.

drganon

Tried out the demo. It looks pretty but gameplay wise I didn't like it. Same problem I had with octopath traveler.

I finally finished the 2nd battle and it was actually pretty hard. I didn't use the traps since I was too impatient but I lost 2 mages and the prince (lol). I knew I'd lose the prince to Avlora when I charged down the stairs but I just couldn't resist 3 enemies lined up in a row... Probably shouldn't have swapped out Erador for another mage but I wanted to see how they all played. After the battle, people said we suffered serious casualties - I wonder if you don't lose units during the battle do they still say that?

Ezana's lightning is very strong but she doesn't seem to be able to gain new skills and enemy AI seems pretty good at avoiding puddles. I'm not sure how good the ice mage is. The enemies always destroyed my walls in a single turn - even with ice attacks. The spy is very survivable but fairly low damage. She's good for sneaking up behind enemy lines and positioning for double attacks. Serenoa's hawk dive is pretty OP, especially since you don't need to be standing right in front of an enemy to do it, so you can get some squares back out of range of mages/archers and do it.

How’s the performance? I remember octopath FPS taking a hit when certain effects where in play
I saw some people say that the fires in the 2nd battle defending the prince made the framerate take a hit. I haven't seen myself though.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I saw some people say that the fires in the 2nd battle defending the prince made the framerate take a hit. I haven't seen myself though.
I just played that scene, and yes, the frame rate does take a hit when the fires start burning. Didn't bother me much, but it was clear. Then again, there is quite a lot of time before this game is released, so anything can happen.

It looks like producers seem to be going for entirely different way this time. While Octopath Traveler was about gameplay options with the story taking a background, this one seems to go story first instead. I don't usually enjoy TRPG's but the story seems captivating. I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

Oh another thing, I ended up having to change both the x and y axis camera controls. But I swear their "inverted" setting is actually non-inverted...

Top Bottom