• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Warlock Launch Trailer - Classic FPS like Doom, Hexen or Wolfenstein.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Project Warlock is a first person shooter that fans of Doom, Hexen and Wolfenstein cannot miss. It serves you an exploding cocktail of bullets, spells and monsters. In Project Warlock you battle through 60 levels of non stop action packed with bloodthirsty enemies and challenging bosses. The game offers not just firepower, but perk-based character development, weapon upgrades and unlockable spells system. This high-quality independent gem is priced to appeal to fans of polished indie titles and seekers of classic fps experience alike.

Project Warlock is an original, timed GOG exclusive launch title.

Oh. And John Romero thinks “it looks cool”.

Features
  • 60 levels
  • 5 worlds
  • 72 enemies
  • 38 weapons
  • 8 spells
  • 12 perks

https://www.gog.com/game/project_warlock

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Indeed looks cool, but I get the feeling that was kinda forced the references. "I feel lucky" and "I didn't asked for this"... Yeah... don't need that, bro

DiscoJer

Are they that bonkers? That recent Achtung Tactics is a turn based game and its minimum specs was this games recommended specs.

And the Bard's Tale Remastered also has really high specs, despite it basically being a 40 year old game, because it was made in Unity.

Link1110

Do I have to aim up and down? Cause I can't do that for the life of me. If all our has is arrow keys, stage, fire, open and switch weapons then count me in.

Orta

Banned
Looks mindless fun.

I take it no save points means each map must be restarted and not the whole game though :messenger_fearful:

Project Warlock is a first person shooter that fans of Doom, Hexen and Wolfenstein cannot miss. It serves you an exploding cocktail of bullets, spells and monsters. In Project Warlock you battle through 60 levels of non stop action packed with bloodthirsty enemies and challenging bosses. The game offers not just firepower, but perk-based character development, weapon upgrades and unlockable spells system. This high-quality independent gem is priced to appeal to fans of polished indie titles and seekers of classic fps experience alike.

Project Warlock is an original, timed GOG exclusive launch title.

Oh. And John Romero thinks “it looks cool”.

Features
  • 60 levels
  • 5 worlds
  • 72 enemies
  • 38 weapons
  • 8 spells
  • 12 perks

https://www.gog.com/game/project_warlock

Pocholo- jajaj what a character... nice name.

Why "Project Warlock" is a GOG exclusive?

Is a deal with the store or only a dev decision?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
A GTX1050 is recommended setting, what the hell?
Its Unity and clearly there are some shaders in use, despite the ZX Spectrum colore like pallette.

This is actually one i had on my to watch list, IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo we should get a proper thread for these retro games going!

Yes. The game looks like Doom, and I don't mean the 2016 one.
As amazing as it looks, i have a feeling it references the past too much. However, unlike other retroish FPS, this one has an otherworldy amazing artstyle.
Like a demake of Amid Evil.
Delicious.png

Hudo

This looks cool. But the trailer kinda made me wish for a new Hexen/Heretic, haha. (I wish Activision would allow Raven Software to use the CoD-Engine for a new Hexen/Heretic game...)

As far as exclusives go, GOG is a "platform" (I use this term loosely) that I absolutely do not mind exclusivity on. Exclusives are inherently anti-consumer but GOG is so pro-consumer, it balances out. It's only a timed exclusive so it's a moot point anyways.

Kagey K

Banned
I used to,love games like Heretic/Hexen/Doom/Decent, but I have let my M&K skills deteriorate significantly since then.

Last time I tried a WASD setup it felt complete foreign to me. I wish I could get some of my skills back just to try this game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Remember, Quake 2 is still awesome (and even more awesome in 3D) and can be bought for cheap on GOG - that's what this game is competing against. If it's not as good then it may as well go home.

drotahorror

Remember, Quake 2 is still awesome (and even more awesome in 3D) and can be bought for cheap on GOG - that's what this game is competing against. If it's not as good then it may as well go home.

What do you mean 'competing'? You act like there's not room for another retro shooter. This game has pixel art and looks like a Build engine game, doesn't even look like Quake. DUSK looks like Quake. This looks more like Ion Maiden (if you want a modern retro shooter to compare to) if anything, looks better actually imo.

Looks great, but I will play this on console, not PC.

Don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean 'competing'? You act like there's not room for another retro shooter. This game has pixel art and looks like a Build engine game, doesn't even look like Quake. DUSK looks like Quake. This looks more like Ion Maiden (if you want a modern retro shooter to compare to) if anything, looks better actually imo.

It's competing for time, competing for user attention, and on GOG it's competing for sales. You're looking for an awesome retro shooter, you're going to be choosing between this and Quake/Doom/other.

ymoc

It's competing for time, competing for user attention, and on GOG it's competing for sales. You're looking for an awesome retro shooter, you're going to be choosing between this and Quake/Doom/other.

I don't know.
I played the shit out of quake 2, 3, 99% multiplayer. I don't think I'm the only one.
This seems to be a single player game with a completely different art style, so I really don't see that much sameness.

For me it sure isn't competing with the older fps titles (been there, done that). It's something fresh and new.

Top Bottom