• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2 : Brave New World unveiled [trailer]

This makes me wonder about the roster. If it sold well because of the west, will they include more characters that're bigger in the US than in Japan? Though perhaps they'll go for a balance, considering the simultaneous release.

Assuming this is the case, the Sega roster should prove interesting this time around.

Eolz

Does this have Breath of Fire cast in it?

Also are these guys mostly cosmetic or do they, ya know, like, actually have stories/personalities? never played original

They all had personalities, even supports (like Juri), that's the point of fanservice games, interactions that characters would never have! :p

IronLich

I'm laughing my ass off at the fact that there's been a mass cleansing of female waifu characters, considering PxZ1 was filled with bouncing breasts. But I'm not complaining because trading Xiaoyu for Haseo is a rather fair trade that I am fine with.

alexein

really surprised for this , i didnt know it sold so well in the west
even more than they sub it in efig for eu this time.
i really have to play the first one that i bought day one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
maybe they chose the dead souls renditions of all yakuza material in order to appeal to the west (lol)
They did it so they can interact with Frank West.

.....speaking of which, wonder if they'll pair him up with Chuck Greene, considering they could work in all those combo weapons.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They all had personalities, even supports (like Juri), that's the point of fanservice games, interactions that characters would never have! :p

Well, I tried Dissidia Final Fantasy, and that was such a one-note distillation of 'personalities' for each character, that after a few hours I found it to be a pretty big turn off.

It wasn't much fanservice as much as, 'let's amplify 1 single 'mood' of our character in every single possible moment we can so it 'feels' familiar' but really it just diluted each person to a boring and stereoypitcal facsimile.

wasnt sure if this was the same or if it actually attempted to make these characters well, feel like the characters haha

Videoneon

maybe they chose the dead souls renditions of all yakuza material in order to appeal to the west (lol)

holy crap you folks are right. it only just came to me. What if when Bamco was just starting out to approach Capcom and Sega to make PXZ2, they indeed just went with Dead Souls because it's the latest localized Yakuza game and plans for localizing Y5 weren't solidifed yet? I mean, as is the Yakuza characters have tons of fighting potential without guns

Well, I tried Dissidia Final Fantasy, and that was such a one-note distillation of 'personalities' for each character, that after a few hours I found it to be a pretty big turn off.

It wasn't much fanservice as much as, 'let's amplify 1 single 'mood' of our character in every single possible moment we can so it 'feels' familiar' but really it just diluted each person to a boring and stereoypitcal facsimile.

wasnt sure if this was the same or if it actually attempted to make these characters well, feel like the characters haha

The dynamics aren't going to be particularly robust. There are going to be obscure shoutouts and stuff. It's just like the plot, generally speaking, it's mostly shallow but still involve things that on the surface make sense or involve a believable execution of creativit

Backflip

The way it's written in your article makes it confusing, as GhostTrick said I understood it as "400k copies sold in the west" too.

What I meant is that even though the game only had English subtitles in non-English speaking countries, Bandai Namco managed to sell 400.000 copies of the game (English-only is a big no-no for a lot of French players).

TreIII

Appealing to us first could be bad though... all they need ta do is do what they did with the first game only better! Ruining the magic formula to appeal to a certain group is rarely a good thing!

Oh, don't worry, I actually do agree with you on this.

But at the same time, I can see why they may want to go this way, for more than one reason. Say, for example, they actually do go ahead and (yuck) put Sonic in this game. You can't have him in a game like this, and start marketing this game to his target audience and still have all the "fanservice" intact, too. Something would have to give.

Tagg9

I kind of hate the artstyle. Also surprised they announced it for 3DS, but clearly there's a market for fighters on the handheld after Smash Bros sales.

cj_iwakura

The writing in PxZ was fantastic. They did their homework.

And maybe Sonic isn't it because it would draw kids to the title. PxZ is kind of risque for kids.

But at the same time, I can see why they may want to go this way, for more than one reason. Say, for example, they actually do go ahead and (yuck) put Sonic in this game. You can't have him in a game like this, and start marketing this game to his target audience and still have all the "fanservice" intact, too. Something would have to give.

Considering how eyeroll worthy the "fanservice" is, if that's what would have to happen if Sonic were in, I'd have no issue if that was the casualty. (Purely my opinion, though!)

Not that I want Sonic here either, though. There's far more interesting Sega characters I'd like to see. (Skies, Phantasy Star, hell, even some of the Burning Rangers)

Eolz

Oh, I see what you mean.
To be honest, unlike Final Fantasy, some of those characters (fighting games) didn't have a lot of dialogue of the past, so this felt good to hear more from them.
Maybe it was a disappointment for those that had more story-focused games before, but since it's full of references, I found it funnier.

oh boy, Resi 6 Leon

tumblr_mae4wz7iN31rpfx57o1_r1_500.gif

OuterLimits

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed the first game. Yeah, it would get boring if I played it for long periods. I would play it an hour sporadically and had fun though.

Looking forward to the sequel.

cj_iwakura

That ice burn.
Secretly hoping for more cartoony characters but the game seems to favour human characters. Wonder why? NxC was more open about it.

I think the Sonic comment made it clear. They want this to appeal to older audiences. If they throw in Klonoa and Sonic, kids will be interested, and since this has all the fanservice... clash of interests.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If they indeed are changing the roster/previous teams because of what they think will appeal to the West, doesn't that say something incredibly interesting about some of the niche stuff that's been more readily localized (NISA stuff, etc.) compared to having to pull teeth for Yakuza 5 to be localized ?
Speaking of teeth pulling... where's Dragon Quest VII 3DS?! SE and their BS "western rpg fans aren't on 3ds" is BS and this release proves it! Heck, the original selling as well as it did proved it! Plus all those other well selling 3DS rpgs!

I don't think they would market it towards Sonic fans though! Sadly either way Sonic just doesn't fit into a crowd like this (pretty much all humans / humanoid in appearance) which means no Ammy and that's the real crime ;_;

Sgblues

Nah I think they chose the Dead Souls versions of Kiryu and Majima for characters that use guns along side Leon and Erica, since everyone else introduced/re-introduced(if they were in NXC or PXZ) uses swords/bladed weapons or their fists in their respective games(X is an exception, Dante was in PXZ and Vergil used a gun for like a brief moment), which makes sense.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god they're going to do that aren't they? Unlock those three with the amiibo.
& then they'll only be solo units, mwahahahahaha.

....actually, I would laugh so hard if Namco made it so the Ace Combat jet or Ridge Racer car were solo units.

AerialAir

Banned
As long as they change the story and the gameplay, and reduce the repetitiveness in it, I'll be getting it day one, but the screens make it look like they just took the engine from the first game and pasted some new characters and text lines in it. Not a good sign.

Videoneon

I kind of hate the artstyle. Also surprised they announced it for 3DS, but clearly there's a market for fighters on the handheld after Smash Bros sales.

Yeah, didn't Super Street Fighter IV do fairly well on the 3DS?

it's not a fighter

TreIII

Considering how eyeroll worthy the "fanservice" is, if that's what would have to happen if Sonic were in, I'd have no issue if that was the casualty. (Purely my opinion, though!)

Not that I want Sonic here either, though. There's far more interesting Sega characters I'd like to see. (Skies, Phantasy Star, hell, even some of the Burning Rangers)

For me, it's basically just a thing where I've gotten so used to Banpresto's style of "fanservice" in their games, that's it more or less a thing that it doesn't bother me so much or anything I really pay much attention to.

All I really care about is that it doesn't make it so characters such as Morrigan and Kaguya Nanbu aren't taken just "because" of this new direction, nor would it keep characters like Trish or Bayonetta from even being considered.

I don't think they would market it towards Sonic fans though! Sadly either way Sonic just doesn't fit into a crowd like this (pretty much all humans / humanoid in appearance) which means no Ammy and that's the real crime ;_;

Well, I'd think it's safe to presume, if Sonic was at all in this game, his crowd would at least be interested. And that's where this "concern" would come in.

Klonoa was able to get away with this waaay back in NxC, likely because a) Namco didn't care as much about their kid-friendly mascot being depicted alongside such characters and b) he never had as large of a following to even warrant the possible concern in Japan. But even there, Klonoa hasn't been a part of this series since then, which may only do a lot to suggest that his ilk of mascots aren't really being considered here.

D-Man

The first game was way too long and pretty repetitive, but I did enjoy my time with it. I'll probably pick this one up if they fix up some stuff and/or add an Ace Attorney character into the roster. I need some Phoenix action up in here.

Loona

Natsu instead of Taki. You assholes.

Taki was already in Namco X Capcom, at least.

Jill, Erica, and Natsu (and teaser Xiaomu) are the only females shown in this first trailer everyone else is a dude. Guess they're holding out on the other kind of fanservice for future trailers lol.

I hope they keep Valkyrie around for some nice old school presence.
What would really be neat by now would be teaming her up with Arthur, since they were both in NxC as solo units, and in PXZ as support - they're veterans by now!

More cross-company teams would be nice - maybe that's planned, and a reasonf or the limited reveals so far?...

As for more female characters... I'd love to see Jane from Fighting Vipers and Blaze from Streets of Rage, although nowadays Bayonetta is likely to get more attention on the Sega side of things. Selvaria Bles as a playable would make sense, since she's in at least 2 games of her series, and they already have the animations, not to mention she's in that one anime fighting game where Akira is a boss.

From Capcom, I'm betting some SF and Darkstalkers presence is likely, but as for other sources of female characters... the protagonist from Remember Me might work well with the .hack digital factor...

Mostly unrelated, but Kage being in makes a lot of sense, especially considering Dural was in the original PXZ - then again, that was V-Dural, which is apparently more based on Vanessa from the later VF... it would be pretty cool to include her.

As for the more raunchy fanservice, I wouldn't miss it - I'm more about the references to obscure canon and tying series together in interesting ways... I wonder if all those ninjas will have a story arc of their own, much like the zombie-related guys had some stages that fit them nicely in PXZ1...

What are the chances of Konami or Square-enix to jump into action? Zero?

In this one, pretty much - then again, this started with Namco X Capcom... who knows what the future holds if these games keep selling. (I want SNK in, personally).

B.K.

I'm laughing my ass off at the fact that there's been a mass cleansing of female waifu characters, considering PxZ1 was filled with bouncing breasts.

This one will be too. You really don't think the characters in that video are all the characters in the game, do you? They aren't going to announce the entire roster on day one.

Busaiku

Yeah, this reveal was at an Italian event.
When they show it off in Japan and stuff, expect there to be a ton of life and plot for their hometown.

IronLich

This one will be too. You really don't think the characters in that video are all the characters in the game, do you? They aren't going to announce the entire roster on day one.

While it obviously's not the whole roster, the fact that several returning characters aren't accompanied by their respective female comrade from the first game is a strong clue that this is less a fanservice game, and more of a MANservice game.

Loona

....actually, I would laugh so hard if Namco made it so the Ace Combat jet or Ridge Racer car were solo units.

That I doubt, but Ace Combat is part of the UGSF meta-series, which was acknowledged in NxC...
And now I want a Masuyo Tobi and Taizo Hori team, both o remind the world Masuyo precedes Samus as a female protagonist in a game, and because the banter between those exes could be fun to read, but there wasn't that much of it in NxC that I recall.

Why can't this just be a cross over 2D fighter?

More animation to draw, more balancing to handle, less room for fun dialogue and interactions for the amount of characters it has.

Maybe if it sells really really well, in a distant future where MonolithSoft added that sort of thing to their expertises...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Still hoping for Mega Man.exe and a partner or two to show up. Gotta build up the "cyberspace/virtual world" roster PXZ had going for it ("The World", Gain Ground, MMX Cyberspace).

Oh and Neneko totally needs to return.

cj_iwakura

Still hoping for Mega Man.exe and a partner or two to show up. Gotta build up the "cyberspace/virtual world" roster PXZ had going for it ("The World", Gain Ground, MMX Cyberspace).

Oh and Neneko totally needs to return.

Na no da, na no- oh god no more.

Top Bottom