• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2 : Brave New World unveiled [trailer]

Loona

I wonder what the chains are.

Hopefully the plot device replacements for the Portalstone McGuffin that gave Mii her supposed importance in PXZ1 - her design was all over the place and so was Kogoro's, and his acting like a bit of a lech didn't help.

It's not hard to imagine the chains working as tangible connections between the worlds, but a bit of a change from portals conveniently located in doors and gates.

Ilvocare

I wonder what the chains are.

They look super sick. No doubt the OG boss of this upcoming game is going to be drenched with them.

Also I decided to look at the website to check out what they had set up. One picture caught my attention more than anything:

img_03.jpg

To be more specific, the picture on the right, which is the first shot of a battlefield map I've seen for PXZ2.

Instead of the mini-bars over all the characters being just health, there's a second bar below that which I believe is the XP/EP gauge (even the color of Kiryu's second bar matches the XP gauge). Since there's separate indications for each unit visible on the field, I'm hoping this is confirmation that each unit gets their own XP gauge. Because if not, then why add the indicator for it above everyone's head?

Loona

"In this game, the story is deeper so please look forward to that."

Not sure how deep they can go in a crazy cross over game.

Some examples from Namco X Capcom alone:

* the Soul Edge crosses dimensions by itself (justifying its own series' crossovers and functioning as a McGuffin), and is used to separate Darkstalkers' Morrigan and Lillith. whom in their own series essentially share a soul

* Dr Bomb from Bravoman works for Heihachi Mishima, and build Waya-Hime from his game based on the techniques of Taki from Soul Calibur

* Taizo Hori, whom you may know as Dig Dug, worked as a digger alongside Rockman Volnutt and Roll casket from the Megaman Legends series

* the concept of Namco's United Galactic Space Force series actually got used and referenced in a game, as Hiromi Tengenji from Burning Force and female-protagonist-before-Samus-Aran Mausyo Tobi from Baraduke teamed up, initially on a mission to capture Tron Bonne.

* the fact that Masuyo and Taizo are divorced, as established in the Mr Driller games, is ackowledged and used

* in the posters for Captain Commando, it's mentioned that Sho/Ginsu practices Bushin-Ryu, the same art as Guy from Final Fight - the two of them are a team in that game, and Guy helps out in Captain Commando's team super, essentially expanding the version we see in the MvC games

* the Tower of Druaga appears right in the middle of the demon village (makaimura) from Ghouls and Ghosts

* Zouna's desert pyramid from the Legend of Valkyrie has a portal in its center that's used as one of the dimensional gateways in the game. It also contains a room where in its original game its robot mooks Robodians were built - in NxC it also builds Phobos bots from Darkstalkers, Prototype Jacks from Tekken, Waya-Hime copies and Kos-Mos copies

* Kazuya's devil gene is a considerable part of his and the broader story's involvement with the Tower of Druaga and Ghouls'n Ghosts villains

* the time travelling elements from Dino Crisis are used to connect characters from the past like the Soul Calibur cast, and future characters like the UGSF cast, Strider and Captain Commando

* Master Meioh from Strider really takes a fancy to the Gnosis from Xenosaga, and the copying abilities from the Doppel enemy from Captain Commando

* speaking of Strider, I liked how the Unknown Soldiers from Forgotten Worlds were introduced in the game by being interrogated by Ton Pooh from that game, which was a frustrating task for her as they have no actual names to give

* on the topic of Forgotten World, the fact that Sylphie's shop just pops out of the ground in the middle of the levels is a plot point - that thing can apparently also cross dimensions. Also, despite her constant smiling she's depicted as an incredibly greedy creature and her attacks reference a bunch of really old Capcom games - she's pretty much Capcom personified

* while the most famous Resident Evil characters were's present, the Dead Aim representatives were still in, opening the gates to stuff like zombifying a dino from Dino Crisis

* the Black Valkyrie from the Valkyrie series is depicted as having power over the dead, which opens the gates to bringing back character who are/were dead in their games' canon, like the first Armor King from Tekken

* Valkyrie herself is shown as working for Ishtar from the Tower of Druaga series. At one point Ishtar makes Heihachi Mishima deliver the Golden Seed from Legend of Valkyrie to Valkyrie, so she can release the previously mentioned dead characters from the control of the Black Valkyrie.

There's a lot more than these, but these stand out to me. Of course, invariably the original characters tend to dominate the wider plot, but I really liked with MonolithSoft achieved with that game story-wise.
PXZ flt more disjointed and individual characters and series felt less important in comparison, but apparently there are people from the NxC team on board, and with a confirmed, "sequelable" success on their hands I think they have the tools to excel again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They look super sick. No doubt the OG boss of this upcoming game is going to be drenched with them.

Also I decided to look at the website to check out what they had set up. One picture caught my attention more than anything:

img_03.jpg

To be more specific, the picture on the right, which is the first shot of a battlefield map I've seen for PXZ2.

Instead of the mini-bars over all the characters being just health, there's a second bar below that which I believe is the XP/EP gauge (even the color of Kiryu's second bar matches the XP gauge). Since there's separate indications for each unit visible on the field, I'm hoping this is confirmation that each unit gets their own XP gauge. Because if not, then why add the indicator for it above everyone's head?

Whoa, I hope that is true that they have separate XP now.

Hopefully the plot device replacements for the Portalstone McGuffin that gave Mii her supposed importance in PXZ1 - her design was all over the place and so was Kogoro's, and his acting like a bit of a lech didn't help.

It's not hard to imagine the chains working as tangible connections between the worlds, but a bit of a change from portals conveniently located in doors and gates.

Probably, and they could probably destroy worlds too what we see from the teaser with them destroying stuff.

Ilvocare

Whoa, I hope that is true that they have separate XP now.

I just realized something else: the numbers above everyone's heads that used to indicate which characters were up next in the turn are gone. I'm aware that this, much like the guess about separate XP gauges, is gross overspeculation based off of one pre-release screenshot, but maybe the previous "character's speed determines when their specific turn is next regardless of alignment" way of passing turns has been replaced with a more traditional player and enemy phase-based system?

That's something I'd consider a definite improvement, since the hordes in PXZ felt toothless due to their disjointed turns to attack the player, along with them not really having any AI at all outside of "attack something controlled by the player". The sole exception being that if a unit in that chapter running out of health causes a GO then any enemy that could attack them normally DID.

Jawmuncher

Some examples from Namco X Capcom alone:

* the Soul Edge crosses dimensions by itself (justifying its own series' crossovers and functioning as a McGuffin), and is used to separate Darkstalkers' Morrigan and Lillith. whom in their own series essentially share a soul

* Dr Bomb from Bravoman works for Heihachi Mishima, and build Waya-Hime from his game based on the techniques of Taki from Soul Calibur

* Taizo Hori, whom you may know as Dig Dug, worked as a digger alongside Rockman Volnutt and Roll casket from the Megaman Legends series

* the concept of Namco's United Galactic Space Force series actually got used and referenced in a game, as Hiromi Tengenji from Burning Force and female-protagonist-before-Samus-Aran Mausyo Tobi from Baraduke teamed up, initially on a mission to capture Tron Bonne.

* the fact that Masuyo and Taizo are divorced, as established in the Mr Driller games, is ackowledged and used

* in the posters for Captain Commando, it's mentioned that Sho/Ginsu practices Bushin-Ryu, the same art as Guy from Final Fight - the two of them are a team in that game, and Guy helps out in Captain Commando's team super, essentially expanding the version we see in the MvC games

* the Tower of Druaga appears right in the middle of the demon village (makaimura) from Ghouls and Ghosts

* Zouna's desert pyramid from the Legend of Valkyrie has a portal in its center that's used as one of the dimensional gateways in the game. It also contains a room where in its original game its robot mooks Robodians were built - in NxC it also builds Phobos bots from Darkstalkers, Prototype Jacks from Tekken, Waya-Hime copies and Kos-Mos copies

* Kazuya's devil gene is a considerable part of his and the broader story's involvement with the Tower of Druaga and Ghouls'n Ghosts villains

* the time travelling elements from Dino Crisis are used to connect characters from the past like the Soul Calibur cast, and future characters like the UGSF cast, Strider and Captain Commando

* Master Meioh from Strider really takes a fancy to the Gnosis from Xenosaga, and the copying abilities from the Doppel enemy from Captain Commando

* speaking of Strider, I liked how the Unknown Soldiers from Forgotten Worlds were introduced in the game by being interrogated by Ton Pooh from that game, which was a frustrating task for her as they have no actual names to give

* on the topic of Forgotten World, the fact that Sylphie's shop just pops out of the ground in the middle of the levels is a plot point - that thing can apparently also cross dimensions. Also, despite her constant smiling she's depicted as an incredibly greedy creature and her attacks reference a bunch of really old Capcom games - she's pretty much Capcom personified

* while the most famous Resident Evil characters were's present, the Dead Aim representatives were still in, opening the gates to stuff like zombifying a dino from Dino Crisis

* the Black Valkyrie from the Valkyrie series is depicted as having power over the dead, which opens the gates to bringing back character who are/were dead in their games' canon, like the first Armor King from Tekken

* Valkyrie herself is shown as working for Ishtar from the Tower of Druaga series. At one point Ishtar makes Heihachi Mishima deliver the Golden Seed from Legend of Valkyrie to Valkyrie, so she can release the previously mentioned dead characters from the control of the Black Valkyrie.

There's a lot more than these, but these stand out to me. Of course, invariably the original characters tend to dominate the wider plot, but I really liked with MonolithSoft achieved with that game story-wise.
PXZ flt more disjointed and individual characters and series felt less important in comparison, but apparently there are people from the NxC team on board, and with a confirmed, "sequelable" success on their hands I think they have the tools to excel again.

They treated Dino Crisis better than capcom ever has after DC2.

TreIII

They treated Dino Crisis better than capcom ever has after DC2.

I think a good number of Capcom properties in this series can attest to that, by this point. PXZ gave a more a satisfying conclusion to the Zero-Iris thing than any MM game to follow ever did.

Atrarock

Hope I'm bumping this correctly, but here's a 6 minute gameplay video from E3 via Nintendo World Report showing some improvements/differences between the previous game.

First immediate difference you'll hear is the music quality, everyone having an individual "special" meters, bonus charge-thing at the end of a battle, more animation style differences in attacks, new attacks for returning characters, dialogue quirks, Player turns/enemy turns, and some other things.

And ontop of that, some new stuff in the game wasn't in the E3 build http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/1...-better-combat-but-the-producer-wont-say-how/

Edit : I feel like this was already in another topic, if so, I completely apologize for bumping this one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
they still share the same XP bar

with that said, everyone now has their own SP, which in SRW means is the "spirit commands" or spells. That means stuff like healing is probably more relegated to SP than XP.

Atrarock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuu4B4EQ1w

7 minute trailer from Japan Expo on Bandai Namco's European channel, showing off a bunch of shown characters, dialogue, a feature called "Mirage Cancel" and a new shinra agent.

Don't know if it applies for the US but Europe is getting a delay until 2016 for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxa4lasJJXs

In addition, the Japanese trailer on their Japan channel shows a new mini game featuring Xiaomu and some special edition extras starting at the 7:14 minute mark.

Top Bottom