• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone Dated for June 25th (NA)

nmanma

Day 1, really liked the endless frontier battle system and the main problem I had with NXC (the slow transitions) seems to be much less of an issue

On the other hand I was planning on playing through the Xenosaga series before starting PXZ (<3 KOS-MOS)... Seems I won't make it in time

Oh well, I can't really complain about having too many games to choose from

Weiss

Banned
not sure if want

On the one hand, it looks like an absolute blast of fanservice, and I'm itching to try more turn based SPRGs since I played Devil Survivor and I know that a game like this will be almost impossible to find after release.

On the other hand, I'm buying a lot of 3DS games soon (Soul Hackers, DKCR3D, SMT4, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team), and I hear this game isn't that good.

On the other, other hand, where the hell is Klonoa?

I feel bad about people saying it sucks, because I bitched and bitched on twitter so much for this game... and man do I want more localized crap from Namco like Tales.

I'm buying it ;-;

cluderi

Holly balls.

Nintendo have turned into the Simpsons devil. "Oh you like Nintendo 3DS games eh? .. HAVE ALL THE NINTENDO 3DS GAMES IN THE WORLD !! THIS SUMMER !!"

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Didn't it have less-than stellar sales?
I'm supporting their choice to bring it over her either way, but I'm not expecting it to be overly-successful. I guess I'm more interested in how many won't buy it because of the lack of English voices.

How did WO3 or DW7E do?

DaBoss

I'm not all that excited since I heard this game isn't all that great. It is just a lot of fan service.

But nonetheless, it is quite nice of Namco (Harada) to push this game to come to the west.

It's tough having diverse interests in The Year of 3DS&#8482;

Turn in your hat Zeer0id, KojiKnight had to correct you. For shame. :p

tkscz

NJcFA4z.jpg

Funny how an average game, but with a lof of fun and characters (basically the selling point of the game) becomes "trash" for some people. Can't wait for the PAL release, though!

Young Magus

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Between this, SMT IV, Soul Hackers, AND Luigi's Mansion, I'm going to be a busy man during summer.

I haven't even finished FE: Awakening yet

Videoneon

Maybe I'll switch to a Project X Zone avatar as the release date approaches.

In any case, sweet. I don't expect it to rock my world, but I'll have some fun nonetheless.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Game falls apart in the 2nd half, is relatively fun up till then (I like it better than nxc). Don't expect depth if you're looking for a an actual strategic gameplay experience. The game's shining feature are its character interactions/conversations. I wouldn't recommend it at full price though.

Stark

Banned
Game falls apart in the 2nd half, is relatively fun up till then (I like it better than nxc). Don't expect depth if you're looking for a an actual strategic gameplay experience. The game's shining feature are its character interactions/conversations. I wouldn't recommend it at full price though.

Sounds like its worth the full price. :O

zroid

Banned
Well to put it bluntly, it's one of the game's only redeeming features. The story and gameplay will become a chore.

Back when the localization was announced, I looked into the story, and holy shit it sounded awful :lol

I don't care about stories much, but still :p

I'm not exactly 'hyped' for this game, per se, but I'm not really one to stick my nose up at an ubercrossover high-concept either. It'll probably be fun for what it is.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That's in less than 3 months!
iLV0YjyCa7KeX.gif

Day 1 baby, I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Gameplay is too simple?
I'll just cross post from the announcement topic

By about a little over halfway through the game you'll have unlocked every character as well as all of their attacks, so the feeling of character growth is completely gone and every stage is just a grind to get to the next one. Characters will almost be indistinguishable from each other at this point since there's no unique gameplay mechanics/classes and you'll be whipping out the same combo for every character for every battle. Later on stages can take a good 1-2 hours to complete (not because of difficulty, but bad level design with hordes of high-HP enemies getting thrown at you) yet the stages themselves are pretty barren with with no meaningful terrain mechanics other than some walls and obstacles. They might as well be flat chessboards and the game wouldn't change.

It's generally agreed that the game falls apart after about the halfway point. They use the same plot element over and over again to explain why you need to go onto the next stage with the villains doing the same thing over and over as well. The story doesn't make you eager at all to see what will happen next.

The game has already had bomba bin fire sales at Japanese retailers mere months after release and maintains a 3/5 star average on amazon jp. The feeling definitely isn't just from an outspoken minority in this thread or anything.

That said, I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy the game. Local sales are going to do nothing but help show namco bandai that there's a market for niche games here.
If you love these characters the game may be worth playing. Just don't expect a great, or even good game if you're looking for gameplay.

The sprite work and animation is some of the best in gaming though, and the remixed series themes used for the soundtrack are really really good. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that unless you absolutely were planning to buy this blindly on concept alone, wait a while since the price is probably going to plummet. If I had to sum the gameplay up in one word, it'd be "shallow".

And one last word of advice, if you do plan on buying the game, don't watch the 16 minute PV namco bandai put out for the game. It literally shows nearly every super/ultra move in the game so you'll have even less to look forward to when you start playing.

Should've had Sonic and Klonoa (NxC had Klonoa), we got Mega Man X so that;s fine, but no mascots from the other corners? LAME!!!

Still would've been better than Sonic Chronicles no contest, Klonoa got an RPG on the GBA called Klonoa Heroes (without the SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK), don't know if that was any good as it was JP-only. :( Way to not make a 3DS compilation of all three GBA games Bandai Namco! :'( Could've tied it with the Wiimake.

Top Bottom