• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone Dated for June 25th (NA)

Loona

Should've had Sonic and Klonoa (NxC had Klonoa), we got Mega Man X so that;s fine, but no mascots from the other corners? LAME!!!

Klonoa stuck out like a sore thumb even in an oddball cast like NxC's - he'd be a fine bridge for Sonic to be more palatable with the rest of the characters here though.

Still, the really odd thing in the cast is just how recent the sega characters are compared to some of the Namco and Capcom classics that made it.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Updated:
73162_10200924986316590_1581055951_n.jpg

ohlawd

aww yeah fanservice fix here I come.

everyone should get this just for the fanservice. It even delivers on two different types of fanservice.

B.K.

I'll buy it since it's a Monolithsoft game, but I'm not buying it at launch. I'll wait a few weeks for it to bomb and the price to drop. I really have no expectations for the game. The team that made it has never made a good game.

zroid

Banned
What does it say about this industry that these publishers were willing to put literally dozens their beloved, and often valuable IPs into the hands of a dev team which was practically destined to churn out a mediocre game?

Seda

I'll buy it since it's a Monolithsoft game, but I'm not buying it at launch. I'll wait a few weeks for it to bomb and the price to drop. I really have no expectations for the game. The team that made it has never made a good game.

What other games has this Monolithsoft team made?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What does it say about this industry that these publishers were willing to put literally dozens their beloved, and often valuable IPs into the hands of a dev team which was practically destined to churn out a mediocre game?

Nothing? Its not like it hurts their IPs.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
The Sega portion of the roster is really strange. Who the hell picked these characters?
(Unfortunenly for me, so I'll be just sticking to the Mega Man/Sonic crossover comic for my Capcom X Sega fix,) Not Sumo Digital.

(More seriously, comparing the rosters of both All-Stars Racing games to the Sega roster of this is pretty much an exercise into Sega according to the west vs. Sega according to the east.)

Videoneon

Thankfully not Sonic Team.

Team1: Sonic and Tails

Team2: Super Sonic and Super Shadow

Team3: Knuckles and Sonic

Team4: Shadow and Rouge

Team5: Sonic and Chris from Sonic X

Should've had Sonic and Klonoa (NxC had Klonoa), we got Mega Man X so that;s fine, but no mascots from the other corners? LAME!!!

Still would've been better than Sonic Chronicles no contest, Klonoa got an RPG on the GBA called Klonoa Heroes (without the SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK), don't know if that was any good as it was JP-only. :( Way to not make a 3DS compilation of all three GBA games Bandai Namco! :'( Could've tied it with the Wiimake.

Yeah as much as I love the Sega roster as it is I would've appreciated Sonic and Klonoa from NB. Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars and Resonance of Fate, awesome. Don't care about Shining Force. That whole all-humanoid thing doesn't surface in any significant way throughout the game as far as I can tell; it just seems like a superficial consistency to justify the roster choices.

Which is, okay sure it's hard enough to pool a ton of characters and their VA's from two other companies, but I'm still interested in why Sonic isn't actually in. This same team pulled off Klonoa in this series previous entry too, so...

Loona

(More seriously, comparing the rosters of both All-Stars Racing games to the Sega roster of this is pretty much an exercise into Sega according to the west vs. Sega according to the east.)

None of them care about Streets of Rage :(
Which is sad, I'm sure there's enough robotics in the plot to tie that series to some of those already there...

Tizoc

I find it rather funny that all the NB cast in this game are from series that appeal to anime/otaku crowd (no offense intended btw).

StayDead

Did someone who hasn't played this game at the top of the page call it mediocre? I got it at Japanese release and it's awesome! <3

Monolith Soft did a fantastic job with this game, you're all going to love it hopefully.

It's pretty amazing they were able to even keep the Japanese voice overs, as some actors sometimes have the Japan only clause in their contract, and this game has so many characters.

Broach

Banned
Team1: Sonic and Tails

Team2: Super Sonic and Super Shadow

Team3: Knuckles and Sonic

Team4: Shadow and Rouge

Team5: Sonic and Chris from Sonic X

Yeah as much as I love the Sega roster as it is I would've appreciated Sonic and Klonoa from NB. Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars and Resonance of Fate, awesome. Don't care about Shining Force. That whole all-humanoid thing doesn't surface in any significant way throughout the game as far as I can tell; it just seems like a superficial consistency to justify the roster choices.

Which is, okay sure it's hard enough to pool a ton of characters and their VA's from two other companies, but I'm still interested in why Sonic isn't actually in. This same team pulled off Klonoa in this series previous entry too, so...

JRPG's that Sega published or Anime merchandise characters as your main representative is just as bad as having a bunch of Sonic characters in it.
AiAi, Phantasy Star chars and Kazuma are popular in Japan, why not put in those? The whole cast from Sega, just doesn't give you a Sega "vibe" at all. Also Platinum Games characters? They made it into that Samurai & Dragons game as well. I think it's just poor choices.
A cool thing though are that Arcade characters are presented, like from Dynamite Cop, which is AWESOME.

I think Sega refused to give them approval for Sonic, since they didn't want the character to be associated with a very obscure kind of game.
Also Sonic Team would have likely to put more Characters like Billy or Nights, and not just Sonic like you presume.
They also would have likely made a better game too.

Stark

Banned
Did someone who hasn't played this game at the top of the page call it mediocre? I got it at Japanese release and it's awesome! <3

Monolith Soft did a fantastic job with this game, you're all going to love it hopefully.

I'll trust you StayDead. I read the impressions for the gameplay/story, but for the fanservice.

I find it rather funny that all the NB cast in this game are from series that appeal to anime/otaku crowd (no offense intended btw).

That's what makes me excited about it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not a fantastic game, but it has the energy, the animation, and good voice work. Also it removed most of my gripes in Namco X Capcom. Attacks don't take forever, enemies has skippable attack animation (and only bosses have special attack animations), etc.

Basically, this and SMTIV separated by not even a month. As well as Animal Crossing and this. Without even counting Mario&Luigi or Rune Factory 4. 2013DS in US, indeed.
It's really been crazy. I shudder to think what Q4 will bring us when the year so far has been so loaded.

Videoneon

JRPG's that Sega published or Anime merchandise characters as your main representative is just as bad as having a bunch of Sonic characters in it.
AiAi, Phantasy Star chars and Kazuma are popular in Japan, why not put in those? The whole cast from Sega, just doesn't give you a Sega "vibe" at all. Also Platinum Games characters? They made it into that Samurai & Dragons game as well. I think it's just poor choices.
A cool thing though are that Arcade characters are presented, like from Dynamite Cop, which is AWESOME.

I think Sega refused to give them approval for Sonic, since they didn't want the character to be associated with a very obscure kind of game.
Also Sonic Team would have likely to put more Characters like Billy or Nights, and not just Sonic like you presume.

Dude, slow down. You're incorrectly characterizing what I think of the roster.

-The "sonic and his shitty friends" joke is an easy one to make considering the All-star racing games (they make up a sizable fraction of the roster) and Sega's willingness to only really promote that brand over in the west (and in effect eclipsing the others). I'm sure you understand how I made the joke, if not I don't know how it went over your head. I understand that Sonic Team is responsible for other stuff like Phantasy Star or NiGHTS, too, what I'm talking about in bringing in Sonic is acknowledging that his icon status far eclipses the rest of Sega and is highly essential in that regard.

-Regarding AiAi, as much as I was supportive of Phoenix Wright in UMVC3, the attacks for him are fairly limited. I think he'd make more sense as an assist character but a fully-fledged "moveset" (moveset for purposes of this game) would be largely redundant, even if you're recalling his minigames for attacks. I recognize that Super Monkey Ball is fairly iconic and that trumps moveset issues but it's clear there are easier choices.

-Phantasy Star characters, the problem as I see it was Monolith Soft was hesitant to devote a playable team for any character that is dates too far back. Most every time I've seen someone ask for Phantasy Star they've wanted Alis or PS4 characters. Not Universe ones, whose characters' receptions tend to be wildly mixed be nevertheless aren't as great as the Classic PS series. The Phantasy Star Classic remakes were given limited release outside of Japan. And create-a-characters aren't a good choice for submission for a team. They could've created an assist character for someone from Classic Phantasy Star; they did it for Ulala, Bahn, Bruno, Arthur, and Valkyrie. The brand is popular in Japan, but the primary importance here is representing characters, which supersedes brand ever so slightly.

-You assumed I'd be oppositional to including Kazuma or a Yakuza team. I don't know why you thought this, but I'm not.

-As far as Platinum Games, requests for Bayonetta or a Bayonetta team far eclipsed anyone else from Platinum. Again, I'm not opposed to this.

-Regarding Samurai and Dragons, I've seen basically all of the Sega cards. That game skews more to "Anime merchandise" and "Sega published" characters. I see NiGHTS and Sonic, but I don't see Skies of Arcadia, Dynamite Cop, Fighting Vipers, Space Harrier, even if they have Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, and Shenmue. I don't think Streets of Rage is there either. I don't think it's an accident that with the exception of the Shining Force characters, every Sega character that is in a team in PXZ is featured here. And Samurai and Dragons heavily features PSP-era Shining, idolmaster/Hatsune Miku stuff and Valkyria Chronicles.

If you remember that each developer got six teams plus Reiji and Xiaomu, you should understand how limited the really are. It's not that I think six teams is a good cutoff point because I would've wanted more. But you're not accounting for the decidedly limited roster in appropriating why you think it's not good. Sakura Wars is/was insanely popular in Japan, too.

They also would have likely made a better game too.

Sonic Team would never think of creating a game that is anything similar to this, and to think that somehow they'd be inclined to just isn't serious.

Ghost23

Kinda off topic, but that picture reminds me. What ever happened to that game that looked amazing graphically with a girl walking through like a forest temple? That's literally all I remember about it.

RangerBAD

is on a dead platform which was dead in the west when it came out in japan and is beyond dead here now.

It wasn't as dead when it came out though. Of course it's dead now. Besides they could remaster the game for the PS3. However, my point is that a good SE game, that came out on a handheld, did not come over to the US. So I'm cautious about Bravely Default "confirmation" or not.

It wasn't as dead when it came out though. Of course it's dead now. Besides they could remaster the game for the PS3. However, my point is that a good SE game, that came out on a handheld, did not come over to the US. So I'm cautious about Bravely Default "confirmation" or not.

It was pretty fucking dead.

Soriku

Well, still has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make with my post. :p

The PSP would've been even more dead in 2012 when it came out. They brought up "market issues" when asked about the game. Not really the case with 3DS. Nothing's stopping them from doing a Type-0 remaster, but it would take some time to make.

geebee

Banned
Did you want more Tekken and Soul Calibur characters? I personally would've liked Ulala to team up with Reiko Nagase..

Top Bottom