• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project XCloud tested in Halo 5

Romulus

In our video tests, the time between tapping the A button and seeing a response on the smartphone screen took 16 frames of a 240fps video (or 67 milliseconds) across three subsequent tests. That's almost imperceptibly slower than the 63ms (milliseconds) input latency Digital Foundry measured on the Xbox One version of Halo 5 in 2017 tests.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Good lord, what kind of wizardry is that?!

To be clear, I can play my current Xbone library on Xcloud at XBX performance, and my home game saves carry over?

"Project xCloud demo of Halo 5 nearly indistinguishable from local play"

Maybe because it was local gameplay ?...

Microsoft are real liars ... Always be wary with them ...

l2GN75p.jpg

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Game streaming results are based on all types of factors including the compression/decompression tech software/hardware, image size being compressed, number of hops, speed between all the hops, bandwidth, distance, etc. Even when you stream on your own local network you will see input latency, and image compression issues.

Let's put it this way Epic had to move Switch Fortnite users to their own pool group because the Switch was rendering one less frame every 33ms.

For the record, I don't think game streaming is the worse thing in the world, but to me its going to be a lessor quality generally speaking and really is just a tool to use in a pinch for single player games.

Last edited:

Romulus

"Project xCloud demo of Halo 5 nearly indistinguishable from local play"

Maybe because it was local gameplay ?...

Microsoft are real liars ... Always be wary with them ...

l2GN75p.jpg

Zooming in on the right side of the pic looks suspicious up close. Appears to have been photoshopped. Not that MS is some holy company but that looks way off.

DanielsM

Banned
so someone on THAT OTHER website did some math and if the server is 400 miles away (which is apparently what they said?) then they have broken the laws of physics

Just a simple ping packet to the Azure in Virginia I am getting in the 45-90ms range (with spikes above 100ms) for latency, this is just small ping packets, plus you add latency within azure as that is probably the outside, the input has to be taken and processed, the image than has to be compressed, travel back to the client, decompressed.

Its not against the laws of physic to travel that far but depending on the number hops i.e. latency is real and isn't going away.

Last edited:

Starfield

I call bullshit. I mean, I'm no expert but I doubt its possible to have a streaming experience without bad input lag with our current technology. I want to be convinced otherwise, but for now, atleast to me, its a thing of the future.

DanielsM

Banned
I call bullshit. I mean, I'm no expert but I doubt its possible to have a streaming experience without bad input lag with our current technology. I want to be convinced otherwise, but for now, atleast to me, its a thing of the future.

We use streaming on local network and there is noticeable input lag and image compression issue. I find all of this pretty hilarious, Google is trying to sell a service for gaming but the video they show up from youtube are of horrible quality.

Starfield

We use streaming on local network and there is noticeable input lag and image compression issue. I find all of this pretty hilarious, Google is trying to sell a service for gaming but the video they show up from youtube are of horrible quality.
Google Stadias reveal was so shit lmao. The stream constantly stopped and dropped the quality to 240p and had so much lag

Just a simple ping packet to the Azure in Virginia I am getting in the 45-90ms range (with spikes above 100ms) for latency, this is just small ping packets, plus you add latency within azure as that is probably the outside, the input has to be taken and processed, the image than has to be compressed, travel back to the client, decompressed.

Its not against the laws of physic to travel that far but depending on the number hops i.e. latency is real and isn't going away.
Well right, but i meant that for a streaming solution to apparently add only 4ms of lag is impossible, because the speed of light would take longer to go to the server and back on a straight line, let aline through fiber, switches, and servers.

DanielsM

Banned
Well right, but i meant that for a streaming solution to apparently add only 4ms of lag is impossible, because the speed of light would take longer to go to the server and back on a straight line, let aline through fiber, switches, and servers.

If they are saying the inputs are going to a remote server 400 miles away (over say 5-10 hops) being processed in, image is being compressed sent back, decompressed locally in 4ms, yeah, that's a whole level of bullshit.

I've played Halo 5: Guardians on Project X Cloud yesterday at the Xbox Showcase. After that I had an interview with one of the members of the Xbox Backwards Comptability team, which is the same team that handled Project X Cloud as well dome stuff for Project Scarlett. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll go back to my audio recording of the interview and see what I can grab from it. I have a guy working on the transcript as we speak and will post the full thing later today

Overall, from the 5 minutes I've played I was pretty amazed. The phones were using the Data Centers over st San Fransisco if I remember correctly. There was 0 lag and for an FPS game it would be noticable easily if there was or was not. Traversing the 2nd level of Halo 5: Guardians felt very smooth and equivalent to Xbox One. The game did not stutter one bit and was running at silky smooth 60FPS on an Android phone. It was kind of surreal if you ask me.

After playing this I am a full on believer and was skeptical at first.

At this point the only thing I have yet too see is how this would function with my current internet and my closest Data Center and I live on the East Coast so I am not sure what Data Center they have closest to Florida. Either way, I cannot wait for this personally. Thankfully. I have a Fiber connection with 1 gig download and upload so I am not too worried about that.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've played Halo 5: Guardians on Project X Cloud yesterday at the Xbox Showcase. After that I had an interview with one of the members of the Xbox Backwards Comptability team, which is the same team that handled Project X Cloud as well dome stuff for Project Scarlett. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll go back to my audio recording of the interview and see what I can grab from it. I have a guy working on the transcript as we speak and will post the full thing later today

Overall, from the 5 minutes I've played I was pretty amazed. The phones were using the Data Centers over st San Fransisco if I remember correctly. There was 0 lag and for an FPS game it would be noticable easily if there was or was not. Traversing the 2nd level of Halo 5: Guardians felt very smooth and equivalent to Xbox One. The game did not stutter one bit and was running at silky smooth 60FPS on an Android phone. It was kind of surreal if you ask me.

At this point the only thing I have yet too see is how this would function with my current internet and my closest Data Center and I live on the East Coast so I am not sure what Data Center they have closest to Florida. Either way, I cannot wait for this personally. Thankfully. I have a Fiber connection with 1 gig download and upload so I am not too worried about that.

Was the demo only on phones?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This picture is from an E3 event when Xbox One only had Devkits available. I'm not sure what this is proof of.

At the time they weren't even devkits. They were full blown PCs. Xbox uses AMD not nVidia, Samsung not Corsair.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

If you are not experiencing latency than you either don't notice such things or you're in a simulation.

Even the microsoft progranda site Comedy Center said there is noticeable lag, why? Physics. We notice lag when streaming on our own network, meaning 1 hop i.e. less than 5ms latency. Your experience is not unusual, same thing was said by people that tried Stadia, some people that don't care about lag say its not a big deal, but as soon as you play a MP game or a game that requires precise controls - you will notice.

I'm not saying people can't enjoy it for what it is, I do occasionally remote play in a pinch for short periods of time.

Overall, my experience with xCloud felt comparable with my time with services like Google Stadia and Shadow. I’m still not convinced that the future of gaming is in the cloud, but it seems like a handy option for when I want to chip away at a few non-competitive games on the go.

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned

Were you on Wifi or hardwired cause a lot of reviewers say Microsoft had to hardwire them to get it to work well

Were you on Wifi or hardwired cause a lot of reviewers say Microsoft had to hardwire them to get it to work well

It was hardwired they confirmed during my play session when I asked. They did say the day before they were running off Wi-fi but due to the massive amount of people at E3 and massive web traffic because of that they started having some issues which makes total sense.

They also admitted that a hardwired connection will always be better no matter what when I asked them in regards to wired versus Wi-fi (I already knew this, but wanted to hear and see if they would dodge it or be honest, which in this case they were honest and told the truth which is a good thing and I respect)

However, they said in the comfort of your own home where there are not a massive amounts of people you should be okay with Wi-fi depending on your internet connection as well and how close the data center is.

They've said this is always an going process that is constantly being worked on and will be improved as time goes.

DanielsM

Banned
They've said this is always an going process that is constantly being worked on and will be improved as time goes.

That's what game streaming companies have been saying for a decade. Wait till you put that streaming image on a modern full-screen at 30-100 inches instead of a 5-6 inch phone, all the artifacts will start to be noticed and the latency even more so.

That's what game streaming companies have been saying for a decade. Wait till you put that streaming image on a modern full-screen at 30-100 inches instead of a 5-6 inch phone, all the artifacts will start to be noticed and the latency even more so.
Was the demo only on phones?

At the booth that I was yes. They had a different game on each phone. Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War 4, Halo 5: Guardians, Halo Wars 2 and Hellblade. I played Halo 5 because it was the most easy game to notice if there was any lag or latency problems which in my case there were not.

DanielsM

Banned
At the booth that I was yes. They had a different game on each phone. Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War 4, Halo 5: Guardians, Halo Wars 2 and Hellblade. I played Halo 5 because it was the most easy game to notice if there was any lag or latency problems which in my case there were not.

If you are saying there is no lag, not sure whether to trust you with anything as far as your opinion going forward. Its not really an opinion, its an opinion as whether the lag is acceptable to you but to say there is no lag is just factually incorrect.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Still going to wait on some home testing, don't know where they put the server here or if it wasn't a direct line. It's undoubtedly going to be more variable with variable distances to the server, shared lines, etc etc.

If you are saying there is no lag, not sure whether to trust you with anything as far as your opinion going forward. Its not really an opinion, its an opinion as whether the lag is acceptable to you but to say there is no lag is just factually incorrect.

I could care less whether you trust me or not to be honest. I am telling and expressing my personal experience with Project X Cloud. If you have a problem with that you can kindly go on ignore list because its quite obvious you are grasping for straws. Much love <3

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
It was hardwired they confirmed during my play session when I asked. They did say the day before they were running off Wi-fi but due to the massive amount of people at E3 and massive web traffic because of that they started having some issues which makes total sense.

They also admitted that a hardwired connection will always be better no matter what when I asked them in regards to wired versus Wi-fi (I already knew this, but wanted to hear and see if they would dodge it or be honest, which in this case they were honest and told the truth which is a good thing and I respect)

However, they said in the comfort of your own home where there are not a massive amounts of people you should be okay with Wi-fi depending on your internet connection as well and how close the data center is.

No ones gonna be hardwiring their phones at home

DanielsM

Banned
I could care less whether you trust me or not to be honest. I am telling and expressing my personal experience with Project X Cloud. If you have a problem with that you can kindly go on ignore list because its quite obvious you are grasping for straws. Much love <3

I never said that wasn't your personal experience, its just that your personal experience isn't very trust worthy as you apparently think there is no lag, so if you can't perceive lag like normal people.... why would anyone trust you as to whether the lag is acceptable or not?

I'm grasping at straws, its called science. Everyone else is reporting lag.... duhhhhhhh, and than they offer their opinion as to whether the lag is acceptable or not.... you on the other hand believe there is no lag. There is lag for displays even, some displays are not going to acceptable to everyone for latency and gaming.... same thing... its not whether or not there is lag.... that is a given.... its whether the lag is acceptable.
I've tried quite a few of the services over the years, I would say most of them are acceptable if one isn't paying for it, and its a single player game and doesn't require precise controlling.... but I would lying my ass off if I were to say there is no lag.... why? because that is impossible.

Most people on normal connections are going to be running 50-150ms lag on top of their existing setup.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned

Every game has lag he means no more noticeable lag than normal obviously lol

scalman

this is what runs xcloud for you . 8 X1S consoles in one box
D4Crg7g.png

1GkHBCv.png

they making some prototypes controllers for phones and tablets as well for now just testing them
xbox-mobile-joysticks.jpg

xbox-mobile-controllers.jpg

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I'll wait to see its results under a regular ip and not in a controlled gigabit or T1 internet closed environment

Even if streaming works, I don't get what the need or demand is. Play games on a console or PC, I don't see why we need to stream? All it will do is alienate your consumers who can't stream due to internet restrictions.

If only all this time, effort and money was put in to VR instead.

Microsoft are yet again making the HD-DVD (streaming) when the Blu-ray exists (VR)

DanielsM

Banned
Even if streaming works, I don't get what the need or demand is. Play games on a console or PC, I don't see why we need to stream? All it will do is alienate your consumers who can't stream due to internet restrictions.

If only all this time, effort and money was put in to VR instead.

Microsoft are yet again making the HD-DVD (streaming) when the Blu-ray exists (VR)

Well, streaming technically works, and to be honest its been working for a decade+. I agree with your point though, meaning there really isn't any demand... countless services have been around for 10+ years now.

Companies were overselling game streaming 10 years ago and losing money, they're overselling it today and losing money.

Tesseract

Banned

once 5/6g arrive, latency issues are basically over, packet loss however will remain a threat

Last edited:
Top Bottom