• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero (Fatal Frame) 5 getting limited edition retail set and demo

Brhoom

Banned
Ok that's it, if this doesn't get released in NA I will stop buying anything Nintendo untill they go region free, this sucks!

Clov

Also confirmed for Australia.

https://ebgames.com.au/wiiu-202893-Project-Zero---Maiden-of-the-Black-Water-Limited-Edition-Wii-U

202893_detail.jpg

One huuuundred bucks. October 31st.

Nice that it's coming to Australia as well. Now to keep waiting on news for North America. I'm a bit worried though; NoA announced the Xenoblade X limited edition around the same time that NoE did, but nothing on this yet... :(

LogicGoat

Neo Member
Does anyone know what UK retailers are stocking this?

Also, just to be sure, it's 100% confirmed that's there's no regular physical edition, right?

EDIT: It looks like it comes with a steelbook and a regular case. Is that correct?

Evilmaus

I'm in.

I've yet to play a Fatal Frame game but I've been interested for quite some time.

Are the stories of each game related at all, or can I just jump right in without any real knowledge of prior games?

I'm in.

I've yet to play a Fatal Frame game but I've been interested for quite some time.

Are the stories of each game related at all, or can I just jump right in without any real knowledge of prior games?

They are interconnected in a way. Some characters and background stories are mentioned throughout games, but there are also a few characters that make multiple appearances in games. I haven't played Fatal Frame V yet, but I think the primary 2 girls of the game are new and another character (a woman) is related to one of the earlier protagonists in the Fatal Frame games. I don't think it has a significant impact on the story though, IIRC all the games can be played in a way that it handles a standalone story.

I'm wondering what the chances NoA comes through on this one after confirming Xenoblade will get a LE. I'm hoping we see a shift from NoA in regards to offering more of the LE that Europe gets.

That said, I'll be happy to have a Physical version at all.

After what happened with the Fatal Frame 2 remake I'm not holding my breath for a physical NA release.

At least we have Spirit Camera guys!

:(

Fucking Spirit Camera.

sector4

Wow I'm guessing games are usually expensive like that in australia?
Games have a RRP of $99.99, but on release day there's usually 2 - 3 other stores selling games between $50 - $79 tops.

Wii U games have been especially cheap, usually found for $58 on release date.

Also looks like it comes with both a regular case and a steelbook? Best of both worlds, I hope that's the case, I'm not a fan of steelbooks unfortunately.

cafemomo

Europoors get a copy while us burgerstans don't? I'm borrowing a Wii U for this and damn me if I'm going to have to get a digital copy for a system I don't own.

Is there any ANY logical reason why NoA can't at least pump out a physical copy? Jeez, slap a mario sticker on the cover if you must

Peltz

I feel like I'm going to waive goodbye to the small amount of credibility I have on GAF, but is Fatal Frame considered to be a Nintendo franchise now? I'm not too well versed on the series.

ASIS

Remember the days when NOA was badass and NOE was always the one falling behind?

.....What happened?

-Horizon-

Games have a RRP of $99.99, but on release day there's usually 2 - 3 other stores selling games between $50 - $79 tops.

Wii U games have been especially cheap, usually found for $58 on release date.

Also looks like it comes with both a regular case and a steelbook? Best of both worlds, I hope that's the case, I'm not a fan of steelbooks unfortunately.
Wow that is still pretty expensive (for anything other than Wii U games from what you said) :/

I feel like I'm going to waive goodbye to the small amount of credibility I have on GAF, but is Fatal Frame considered to be a Nintendo franchise now? I'm not too well versed on the series.
From some of the posts I've seen from some members and mods, no, Fatal Frame apparently still belongs to Tecmo. Spirit Camera game for 3DS IP belongs to Nintendo though.

No only Spirit Camera and the titles they funded are owned by them. Fatal Frame 1-3 on the PS2 can be freely rereleased by Koei Tecmo and any future titles funded by Koei Tecmo and/or some other publisher can be put on whatever platform they decide on.

^The old Fatal Frame games are on the PlayStation Network (1-3).

I think there was talk of that a long time ago, but was found that Nintendo do not hold the rights. It's probably due more to the fact that Tecmo just wanted to make Fatal Frame games using Nintendo's style of controllers (Fatal Frame 4 & Fatal Frame 2 Remake with the Wiimote, Spirit Camera with 3DS's camera, Fatal Frame 5 with the second screen being used as the camera). It's just a way for the developer to experiment and create new experiences for the series to keep it fresh, rather than any loyalty to any particular console (with the exception of Spirit Camera). They made the previous games for both PlayStation 2 and OG Xbox before moving to Nintendo hardware with the series. I'm personally happy that they've tried to experiment with the series so much and especially happy it's coming to Wii U, since that second screen being used as the camera to fight off the spirits, is just genius.

I think Nintendo co-owns the rights for the last few games published on their consoles, but the series still belongs to Tecmo.

Remember the days when NOA was badass and NOE was always the one falling behind?

.....What happened?

BbxjmiBCAAA5xjE.png-large.png

I think Nintendo co-owns the rights for the last few games published on their consoles, but the series still belongs to Tecmo.

I think that's how it is, yeah. If true, given that means Nintendo effectively owns the most recent half the series (FF4, FF2: Wii edition, FF5, and maybe spirit camera if you're counting that), it sounds like Nintendo does "own" the series from a certain point of view now. Obviously FF1/2/3 are still good everywhere as seen from the PSN releases.

Top Bottom