• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5 Review Thread

I don't understand the reviews saying the game controls poorly. It controls fine though a bit slow. My advice to people is to download the free chapters and then decide if the full purchase is worth it to you. Fatal Frame is as niche as they come, and most of the reviewers have likely never played the franchise before.

I'll be doing a 1hr livestream tomorrow night for the title.

True. The only thing I can fathom is that people don't like the tank-ish controls, because the GamePad serving as the camera works perfectly fine.

That's exactly what it is. Using the Wii U GamePad to manually control the Camera Obscura is fantastic and works really well, but the tank controls are pretty frustrating throughout the whole game. I am not new to this series at all (loved the first two games, didn't play the third) but I still feel like the tank-ish controls have not aged well at all and the game would have been better without them.

Still had a great time with this game, though. The sluggish controls definitely aren't enough to ruin the whole experience.

Nice informative review. Although as a non native English speaker i do have some problems with the speed of your talking. It could slow down a bit. the pauses in-between sentences is well done.

edit:nvm i already saw it a post above me

Thanks for the feedback! I admit, I do have a problem with talking too quickly and I find it difficult to read my reviews at a consistently clear and even pace. It's actually a lot harder than you'd think! What you heard was the result of several retakes. :p

I may think about it, but Jim Sterling's review is damning, especially since he's coming to this with prior experience with the franchise.

I am too. :p Played and loved the first two games in the series. Not saying Jim is wrong - it's his opinion, and the game must not have meshed well with his tastes - but I've had plenty of experience with Fatal Frame and had a great time with this one. Do you, though. If you don't feel it's worth your time, maybe it isn't for you!

TheJRPGamer

Neo Member
Even though it's digital only, at least the game has a pretty hefty demo attached to it, so people can gauge their interest in it before deciding whether or not to dive in for the full purchase.

That's exactly what it is. Using the Wii U GamePad to manually control the Camera Obscura is fantastic and works really well, but the tank controls are pretty frustrating throughout the whole game. I am not new to this series at all (loved the first two games, didn't play the third) but I still feel like the tank-ish controls have not aged well at all and the game would have been better without them.

Still had a great time with this game, though. The sluggish controls definitely aren't enough to ruin the whole experience.

Thanks for the feedback! I admit, I do have a problem with talking too quickly and I find it difficult to read my reviews at a consistently clear and even pace. It's actually a lot harder than you'd think! What you heard was the result of several retakes. :p

I am too. :p Played and loved the first two games in the series. Not saying Jim is wrong - it's his opinion, and the game must not have meshed well with his tastes - but I've had plenty of experience with Fatal Frame and had a great time with this one. Do you, though. If you don't feel it's worth your time, maybe it isn't for you!

Pretty much mirror all this. Jim also reviews games for a living. Burnout can and does occure. Maybe this is a case? Only Jim knows. I do it as a hobby and sometimes I'm just not in the fucking mood for certain games or their gameplay types. He loves Deadly Premonition and so do I. He disliked fatal frame and I loved it. It's all user preference. One thing can be said, this isn't a bad quality game at all from a production wise stabdpoint. Excellent visuals, great scares, good story, fabtastic atmosphere. Reviews seem to be more in line with saying why it didn't line up with their expectations or hopes of the franchise turningn into versus it just doing what it's always done well.

JJD

As a fan of the series the Destructoid review feels like my worst nightmare.

I was going to get this on release but with my huge backlog and all those negative reviews I think I should wait a bit.

The fact that I have always hated the tablet controller is probably going to be a deal breaker for me considering how reliant on it the game seems to be. The only WiiU games I enjoy are the ones I can play with the Classic or Wiimote and nunchuck controllers.

This thread reminds me a lot of the ZombiU review debacle. Seems like a game you need to try for yourself, and one that is firmly aimed at Project Zero aficionados.

With a current meta at 65, this is far below your typical ,,injustice" (ZombiU for example is at 77).
I mean, we can either accept reality or turn this into review thread bingo.

Evilmaus

Some really varied reviews here, but then that's quite typical for horror games anyway.

I'm staying cautiously optimistic. I don't have super high expectations anyway, so I don't think it'll take much to satisfy me,

I'll take a mediocre horror game that at least stays consistent, than an overall disappointing title with glimpses of greatness any day.

Just wondering but if I try to get an EU physical copy, is the Wii U region locked? I already have other things like NSMBU installed and some dlc for games, so I'm worried about space for the long run. I know I can buy an external harddrive but I sort of don't want to take that cost right now.

SexyFish

Banned
Just wondering but if I try to get an EU physical copy, is the Wii U region locked? I already have other things like NSMBU installed and some dlc for games, so I'm worried about space for the long run. I know I can buy an external harddrive but I sort of don't want to take that cost right now.
Wii U is region locked.

Kid Ying

It's strange to have the same opinion as most of the press, but the game really is quite boring. Had much more fun with Devil's third, even if as a game FF is much better. Since there is a big demo for western audiences i think people will not fall for the same trap i did and whoever chooses to continue actually like the game, but for me it wasn't a good experience at all. Doing the same stuff over and over for hours is not my idea of fun. Although i don't think the controls are bad. You can even change them if you dont like the gamepad.

Pretty much mirror all this. Jim also reviews games for a living. Burnout can and does occure. Maybe this is a case? Only Jim knows. I do it as a hobby and sometimes I'm just not in the fucking mood for certain games or their gameplay types. He loves Deadly Premonition and so do I. He disliked fatal frame and I loved it. It's all user preference. One thing can be said, this isn't a bad quality game at all from a production wise stabdpoint. Excellent visuals, great scares, good story, fabtastic atmosphere. Reviews seem to be more in line with saying why it didn't line up with their expectations or hopes of the franchise turningn into versus it just doing what it's always done well.

Ah, yes, the not-scratching-my-itch syndrome...

kunonabi

http://www.trustedreviews.com/project-zero-maiden-of-black-water-review

"Koei Tecmo's efforts to maintain interest include making sure that the female leads in the game remain as nubile and sexually appealing as possible at all times. They wear revealing clothing (you can even unlock bonus outfits which are little more than underwear)"

If that review is to be believed then NoA and only NoA removed the outfits.

That or the review didn't actually unlock the costumes and is just going by prerelease stuff. It would be nice if we could get a straight answer to this whole mess.

I'm undeterred. Sounds like what I would want from a Fatal Frame game.

I loved the first four, and I don't expect this one will be any different.

Damn, I'm bummed about these reviews, but I still plan to pick it up on Thursday. I'm okay with the game staying close to its' roots like SlasherJPC said. I really love the atmosphere of these games. I'm excited to play it and form my own opinion of it on Thursday. The only thing that really sucks is the fact that this game is 20 GBs and digital only. That's more than half my harddrive :/

ohlawd

I'm undeterred. Sounds like what I would want from a Fatal Frame game.

yeah, the lack of innovation and whatever buzzword journalists like to use is getting me more hyped. and I'm already hyped enough as it is

I WANT more of the same and it looks lke I'm getting it

Sounds like a game I could potentially really like, and thus forgive the repetitiveness, or not gel with from the get go, and just find it painful slog.

I think I'll stick with my preorder, but try out the digital version before opening it, and see how it feels. Worst comes to the worst, I'll just take it back for a refund.

Damned shame it's not been better received though. Loved Project Zero on PS2, so I'll be gutted if this ends up killing the franchise in the west.

Mithos

So, it won't be sold at Retail in Europe?
I'm not a fan of digital in the WiiU, those eShop prices...

It IS being sold at retail in Europe, HOWEVER only as a Limited Edition Pack/Collection, and it is truly limited (sold out, sold out, sold out), if you didn't pre-order months ago, chances are you will not get a physical copy.

Damn, I'm bummed about these reviews, but I still plan to pick it up on Thursday. I'm okay with the game staying close to its' roots like SlasherJPC said. I really love the atmosphere of these games. I'm excited to play it and form my own opinion of it on Thursday. The only thing that really sucks is the fact that this game is 20 GBs and digital only. That's more than half my harddrive :/

I feel like I'm crazy for enjoying it as much as I did. I mean I went in wanting to return to Fatal Frame and I got just that. It was nice, familiar, and new all the same.

Also OP, do your job and update the reviews please.

KainXVIII

Expected scores, game don't won't to change and fix inherited serious flaws from past games = gets what it deserves

Zombi U has guns, this game does not.

You're not giving enough credit to ZombiU. It had a very steep difficulty curve right from the beginning that required the player to adapt to the survival horror environment. It's brilliant. One of those games where the further you get, the more accomplished and experienced you feel. And I love the mechanic of dying and then playing as a new survivor that has to scavenge the corpse of the last fallen character. Still my favorite game on the Wii U after all these years.

Ulysses 31

It IS being sold at retail in Europe, HOWEVER only as a Limited Edition Pack/Collection, and it is truly limited (sold out, sold out, sold out), if you didn't pre-order months ago, chances are you will not get a physical copy.

gamemania.be, bol.com are still taking pre-orders.

Hope your Dutch is good. >.>

ASIS

I did not expect this at all, very disappointing reviews.

I'm still gonna play it cause I'm really hungry for an FF but.... Yeahh.

This definitely seems like a hit or miss title for most people.

Unfortunately the sad reality of it is that in "gamers" eyes a 7/10 is an absolute abomination, financial fiasco, and all around disaster that must be purged with fire!

When in reality the average score makes it seem like an solid "good" title.

This.

Coupled with the free-to-start demo, there's no reason to make a presumptive judgment based on the scores of reviewers who, like you, have their own preferences. Not to mention the fact that these scores run the gamut from great to poor.

JoeFenix

Can you start on Nightmare difficulty for your first playthrough? Normal mode sounds boring quite frankly, what are the differences in Nightmare?

yeah, the lack of innovation and whatever buzzword journalists like to use is getting me more hyped. and I'm already hyped enough as it is

I WANT more of the same and it looks lke I'm getting it
Yup. I'm fine with someone still making old-school survival horror. We're getting great stuff like ZombiU, Alien Isolation and SOMA and I think there's room for something that's more of a throwback like classic Fatal Frame.

I imported FF4 last year, and I really liked it. It might be my favorite of the four. I really appreciated that they modernized things a bit by going with a behind-the-back camera, but it still felt like Fatal Frame. In fact, I found that the new camera made the experience more engrossing and claustrophobic.

Obviously, I'll form my own judgment on FF5 but in this instance, "more of the same" is more of a positive than a negative to be honest.

This.

Coupled with the free-to-start demo, there's no reason to make a presumptive judgment based on the scores of reviewers who, like you, have their own preferences. Not to mention the fact that these scores run the gamut from great to poor.

There is if you want the EU retail edition, which could potentially see a rapid price spike.

Top Bottom