• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zomboid?

ZZMitch

Hey Gaf,

So a youtuber I subscribe to posted a video of an indie game that I have never heard before called Project Zomboid. It looks really interesting, because I have been looking for a "realistic" zombie game with day/night cycles, food requirements and that sort of stuff. As of right now you can only try out the early alpha version if buy one of the devs other games, or something.

Anyone else tried this game out?

Here is the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4lNOuE3FU&feature=feedu
Here is the site - http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

Looks promising in my opinion

I have been watching this game for a few months. Thought about donating but decided to wait until a demo came out.

Edit- Video looks good. Great music!

One of the developers has an account here as well.

lemmy101

Ha yup thanks for the post. I posted about this a while ago but got lots of anger and the thread closed. :p

Cheers guys,

Chris

lemmy101

just read that back. Cheers guys was genuine wasn't meant as sarcastic or anything. I mean cheers guys for your interest, not for closing the thread before :D

<3

fernoca

lemmy101 said:
unlikely for now. It's in Java. Would need a full rewrite. Maybe one day tho?
Cool.
Game always looked awesome, so good to see there's still progress and it's alive.

lemmy101 said:
unlikely for now. It's in Java. Would need a full rewrite. Maybe one day tho?

What is the time frame for the future online play? Or is it just a "someday" kind of thing.

Also are there any plans to allow paypal again? Or are they still giving you trouble?
I like what I see so far.

Should have turned my oven off after cooking the soup. Just got roasted alive with my wife!

I hope they add right-clicking to add stuff to your inventory, it's a tad cumbersome to have to drag everything to it.

doomguy64

Neo Member
Just tried the alpha demo. Same thing happened to me, my oven caught on fire after trying to cook soup. I ran up stairs and to see Kate and actually picked her up by accident so I brought her downstairs, almost half of the kitchen was on fire. Opened the front door and bam! Overrunned by zombies.

They've already released a pretty great patch for the alpha demo which fixes loads of stuff and balances things a bit. This has the potential to be really fun once it's finished.

owlbeak

Just bought this earlier today after seeing a video on Reddit about the game.

Awesome. Can't wait until there's more to it, but I literally spent about four hours this afternoon holed up in the sixth floor of an apartment complex, raiding nearby buildings during the daytime for supplies, after smothering my wife with a pillow!

Been waiting forever for a SURVIVAL game like this.

Borman

My only complaint is the controls (and the interface, but that relates to the controls really). Graphics are great, music is amazing, atmosphere.. etc, all great. Looking forward to seeing it get even better.

owlbeak

Borman said:
My only complaint is the controls (and the interface, but that relates to the controls really). Graphics are great, music is amazing, atmosphere.. etc, all great. Looking forward to seeing it get even better.
I really wish it was playable outside of a browser. I am also not a huge fan of this whole Java-based indie games trend that seems to be going on as of late.

This game has huge potential, though. I really hope they keep adding to it and making it better. It's already one of the best zombie games I've played.

It's going to be downloadable at some point I think. Stuff that will be in the next patch:

Build 0.1.4a

1) N, E, S, W / NE, SE, SW, NW directional control toggle
2) Inventory grows to fill vertical space of sidebar.
3) Fixed various bed related bugs. Added option to sleep to avoid accidental clicks, or to inform player why they can't.
4) Fixed pot dupe bug.
5) Fixed the death sound screw up. WHEN DID THAT START HAPPENING?
6) Planks of wood will be useable melee weapons
7) Ripped down barricades turn into wood plank with that much health taken off, so can be reused but with reduced health.
8) A few stragglers aside, zombies flock together and slowly migrate around the map in one or more groups, meaning the zombie density around the map will differ massively, and this will change over time. This means that your safe-house may be left alone for some time before suddenly being in the centre of a massive shambling swarm.. This may need some balancing in future updates, but should provide more strategy to avoiding the horde. (Also running nonchalantly down an empty street at night then bumping into a ton of zombies is cool)
9) Scratches have only 25% chance of infection, and you will only find out a day or more later when you get queasy if you were infected. Bites are 100%.
10) Added something little to the tutorial that was missed off due to time.
11) You survived for...
12) Bite / scratch / death sounds.
13) Uhoh! Something that'll catch people out a fair few times before they adjust their plans slightly.

Borman

birdcity said:
I really wish it was playable outside of a browser. I am also not a huge fan of this whole Java-based indie games trend that seems to be going on as of late.

This game has huge potential, though. I really hope they keep adding to it and making it better. It's already one of the best zombie games I've played.

There are tutorials to play offline. The game doesnt load correctly in-browser for OSX so I had to load it directly.

Kuran

Banned
Got this last week, it's already worth the price of admission. Although it is quite buggy still, and doesn't play nicely in Mac. Its fine in Windows though.

At such an early stage, the game already has an amazing sense of atmosphere.

Jira

Bought it yesterday, this is one of my dream games. Something I'd never thought would be made and yet here it is. The indie gaming scene is really starting to become my most loved developers because these guys make those type of games that no one else has the balls to make. They don't waste all that time on graphics and get right down to the meat of everything with diverse gameplay ideas. Keep up the great work guys!

Jira said:
Bought it yesterday, this is one of my dream games. Something I'd never thought would be made and yet here it is. The indie gaming scene is really starting to become my most loved developers because these guys make those type of games that no one else has the balls to make. They don't waste all that time on graphics and get right down to the meat of everything with diverse gameplay ideas. Keep up the great work guys!
I agree about indie devs. This game, S.P.A.Z., minecraft, Hawken...my favorite games lately haven't been coming from big developers.

Lemmy: keep making the game you want to play and keep up the good work. By all measures that count, you're game is already a success.

This is the kind of stuff people want to play. A real sanbox to mess arround in with interesting mechanics.
You make your own rules and you set your own goals, just like minecraft. Most gamers are sick and tired of extreme handholding and setpieces. The more freedom the better.
I think that thing is awesome.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any chance I can get one of you to buy me this, while I gift you something back on steam?

No credit card and no paypal is a shitty combination.. sorry, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

notsol337

marked forever
I tried to get Droids! so I could play zomboid, and google checkout refuses to accept my mastercard D:

The damned thing works on steam, but google hates it, I guess.

Jira

Patch is out!

Word is the NPC systems patch will be out in a few weeks with other smaller patches in-between.

Build 0.1.4a

This has been deployed. May take 10 minutes or so to distribute to your corner of the world.

Note, this is just main features there will be numerous fixes not mentioned here. There may be new balance issues / bugs due to some of these but hopefully it'll improve a lot more than it causes new problems. ;D

1) N, E, S, W / NE, SE, SW, NW directional control toggle
2) Inventory grows to fill vertical space of sidebar.
3) Fixed various bed related bugs. Added option to sleep to avoid accidental clicks, or to inform player why they can't.
4) Fixed pot dupe bug.
5) Fixed the death sound screw up. WHEN DID THAT START HAPPENING?
6) Planks of wood will be useable melee weapons
7) A few stragglers aside, zombies flock together and slowly migrate around the map in one or more groups, meaning the zombie density around the map will differ massively, and this will change over time. This means that your safe-house may be left alone for some time before suddenly being in the centre of a massive shambling swarm.. This may need some balancing in future updates, but should provide more strategy to avoiding the horde. (Also running nonchalantly down an empty street at night then bumping into a ton of zombies is cool) This makes the opening section easier since you can find areas with low zombie numbers. It also makes it harder since if you happen to have a swarm around your house you're in trouble!
8) Scratches have only 25% chance of infection, and you will only find out a day or more later when you get queasy if you were infected. Bites are 100%.
9) You survived for...
10) Bite / scratch / death sounds.
11) Uhoh! Something that'll catch people out a fair few times before they adjust their plans slightly. :)
12) Can barricade with hammer in your offhand. Forgetting to do this if you have wood selected and try and barricade a door, it will fail but NOT open the door to all the zombies you're trying to protect yourself against.
13) Context sensitive clicking is disabled when CTRL is held.
14) Beds can only be used when within 'open container/open door' range.
15) Skipping tutorial will retain the 'safe zone' until you venture out, to make it a way of skipping the tutorial without punishing the player and thus making it a more attractive option. You evil, evil person. :p
16) Experimental - Raised day length to 20 minutes from 15 now we have fast forward. Have also doubled speed of fast forward (CPU dependent)
17) Food / pills can be eaten by putting them on the heart icon, in parallel to putting things in inventory.
18) Couches / sofas can be slept on.
19) Eating / pill popping no longer clears item from mouse. So eating multiple is just multiple clicks.
20) Restarting after death. Will skip front end and load the map again immediately. May cause obscure 'second playthrough' bugs from restart we'll have to deal with as they become apparent. May also be pushing it for memory on lower end PCs if the old map hasn't been garbage collected in time.
21) The heart icon does a little wiggle (like the moodles) when you sustain injuries, as a reminder that you might need to tend to some new ailment.
22) Mouse hotspot offset removed on Mac until proper cursors are working. Also option in lwjgl cache to disable on PC or re-enable on Mac.
23) Options file saved in lwjgl cache with game resolution. For those Mac users that need a different res for offline. Will have no effect when played in the browser.
24) Random buildings / doors will be locked and only openable from the inside. Fire axe can attack doors. (Well everything can but most are ineffectual)
25) Craftable full-tile barricades made from 2 plank + 2 nails + hammer. Exact #'s still to balance. :)
26) Smashed doors either by player or by zombie yield some planks to pick up.
27) Game pause/resume and speed control buttons on the hud.

Borman

Patch made the game that much better. Aiming and controls are still a bit wonky, but that took care of a lot of my complaints. Good job guys.

Since I can't use Google Checkout to buy the game, I've been watching gameplay footage on Youtube. I was quite impressed. The game really delivers an amazing intense atmosphere which I didn't expect from just the looks of the game. The line of sight and music are great. The little event with the intruder at the start really helps set the tone as well. I think it would be awesome to have similar encounters occur randomly.
Can't wait to play it myself.

Jira

Herbspicesoy said:
Since I can't use Google Checkout to buy the game, I've been watching gameplay footage on Youtube. I was quite impressed. The game really delivers an amazing intense atmosphere which I didn't expect from just the looks of the game. The line of sight and music are great. The little event with the intruder at the start really helps set the tone as well. I think it would be awesome to have similar encounters occur randomly.
Can't wait to play it myself.

Yeah they're working on the NPC system and it should be out in a few weeks. It's the first step in getting a random encounter system going. Eventually you'll be able to choose different character role types that determine your role in the world and base stats and such. You'll also be able to choose where you spawn too.

Jira

Upcoming 0.1.5a patch notes:

Unrelated to the patch, the code is in place for skills and leveling up and all that, but the UI just isn't finished. They expect it to be in around 1.7/1.8.

1) Added padlock to lock inventory open.
2) Can remove planks from barricades and reclaim them. They will retain health in between uses.
3) Various zombie spotting chances changed. A player not moving inside a building will never be seen by a zombie from outside, they just don't have the cognitive ability to pick them out through a window, and higher floors the chances diminish too since they tend to look ahead.
4) Sounds in buildings are muffled so don't travel as far outside.
5) Some horde balancing / fixes.
6) Some aiming tweaks.
7) Reduced footstep range slightly.
8) Zombie spotted music will not play if the zombies are miles away or many floors below you.
9) Made the horde prefer outdoor locations and generally ignore doors without any stimulus from inside. They will on occasion disregard this inclination, to keep you on your toes. After all if a zombie starts thumping he'll attract attention from others.
10) Bug meaning scratches were 100% infection fixed.
11) Removed accidentally left in 'debug shotgun shells'.
12) Beta blockers, anti-depressants, sleeping tablets and extra effects for booze.
13) Pills now work over time instead of immediately and can be stacked for faster / more powerful effect. No consequences... YET.
14) M to toggle music on and off (in lieu of a real option screen)
15) Something along these lines (WIP):

WIP.png

Jira

0.1.4b Released:

* Fixed ATI crash bug. We're not sure but this may cause a slight slowdown as it was an optimization that we had to remove to fix it. We'd like to hear how this affects anyone? We'll work on pulling back performance to what it was, but non-ATI owners have to admit this needed resolving fast. We'll upload a performance fix asap.
* Fixed camera bug.
* Removed custom mouse pointers entirely, for now. Too many issues on macs and some PCs.
* Various zombie spotting chances changed. A player not moving inside a building will rarely be seen by a zombie from outside and higher floors the chances diminish too since zombies tend to look ahead.
* Sounds in buildings are muffled so don't travel as far outside.
* Some horde balancing / fixes.
* Some aiming tweaks.
* Reduced footstep range slightly.
* Zombie spotted music will not play if the zombies are miles away or many floors below you.
* Made the horde prefer outdoor locations and generally ignore doors without any stimulus from inside. They will on occasion disregard this inclination, to keep you on your toes. After all if a zombie starts thumping he'll attract attention from others. ** may need tweaks **
* Bug meaning scratches were 100% infection fixed.
* Removed accidentally left in 'debug shotgun shells'.
* Beta blockers, anti-depressants, sleeping tablets and extra effects for booze.
* Pills now work over time instead of immediately and can be stacked for faster / more powerful effect. No consequences... YET.
* M to toggle music on and off (in lieu of a real option screen)
* A secret thing.

Let us know how it goes :S if you don't download new files, then try again in a minute or two.

Like any patch release, be prepared for potentially multiple downloads as we quick fix any issues that crop up.

<3

Jira

Upcoming 0.1.4c notes, will update as more are added:

1.) Adjustments and tweaks to Panic system.
2.) Fire Animation rate fix.
3.) Fire-system memory leak fixed.
4.) A bug un-spotted so far with the Clock has been fixed.
5.) Infection rates from zombie scratches and bites modified after _extensive_ testing.
6.) Memory leak in the rain system fixed
7.) Based on extensive play-testing - Fixes to incorporate the specific number of bruises, scratches, bites has been factored into the body damage calculations.
8.) Bug with moodles always being shown in the lower right on Hi-Res displays is now fixed.
9.) Body part status updated to reflect being on fire/burning.
10.) Alcohol helps you calm down and combat the panic-state moodles and their negative effects.
11.) Player can become drunk from consuming too much alcohol.
12.) Drunkenness moodles added.

Enjoyed what I played of the demo.

First time I died as a result of a
kitchen fire.

Second time,
some random dude came in with a shotgun and blew me away.

Is there a save function at the moment? I'd love to give it another shot but it's a bit frustrating having to start from the very beginning each time.

Mailman 007

Neo Member
Crimson Clown said:
Is there a save function at the moment? I'd love to give it another shot but it's a bit frustrating having to start from the very beginning each time.
No, there isn't one yet.
hopefully there's one soon.

Plissken

Saw Notch's tweet about this game the other day, checked it out. I love the demo so far, only managed to survive 5 days at the most, but I'm hooked. Once the option to purchase is back up, consider this bought!

Kahoona

I can't wait for the multiplayer to be implemented in to the game. I also like the idea of the longer you survive, the more the environment changes. I wonder how far along they are on the actual project and if the tech demo will be implemented in to the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Someone should bug a mod about changing the title to something which includes "free public demo available now". Most people checked it once and were put off because they couldnt play it, i guess.

Top Bottom