• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zomboid?

todahawk

Toma said:
Someone should bug a mod about changing the title to something which includes "free public demo available now". Most people checked it once and were put off because they couldnt play it, i guess.

sweet, thanks for the heads up... i'll be checking the demo out.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
greenjerk said:
sweet, thanks for the heads up... i'll be checking the demo out.

Hm, I guess I'll just make a new thread if no one is asking for a title change during the rest of the day. Definitely deserves more attention.

bengraven

A friend has been playing this for a while and I checked it out on his PC. Not bad at all, though I think I'll buy it to hold me off until Dead State arrives.

Which isn't an insult to the game, it's pretty fun.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
angelfly said:
It's actually more than a demo. The alpha lets you play as long as you can survive.

Yeah, its the compelte alpha, true. They call it demo for making clear that its not representative of the final form the game will be in later, with a lot of features still missing.

Toma

bengraven said:
A friend has been playing this for a while and I checked it out on his PC. Not bad at all, though I think I'll buy it to hold me off until Dead State arrives.

Which isn't an insult to the game, it's pretty fun.

And another game to add to my "to watch" list.Looks like a playable version might still be a bit off though.

Edit: forgot not to double post, sorry.

Toma

Stitch said:
oh shit i suffocated my wife with the pillow

cad-20110603-93bfc.png

And yup, nice idea for cancelling the tutorial. The game also plays differently if you try to care for an extra person, which makes you stationary or if you can roam around and sleep where you want.

bengraven

animlboogy said:
The most heartbreaking method of skipping a tutorial in the history of the medium. It has to be.

I think that's actually generous.

Dropping her in front of the horde to save yourself is the only way I could survive that intro.

Toma

bengraven said:
I think that's actually generous.

Dropping her in front of the horde to save yourself is the only way I could survive that intro.

This game has way too much potential for all the stuff that should be possible in a game like this to survive. "I got a friend ingame? Well surviving is more important so..." The crafting system is also very thought out. But at the moment I am very annoyed at small stuff, for example that you cant climb over fences. They said it will be possible but they simply havent finished the animations for it yet.

bengraven

Toma said:
This game has way too much potential for all the stuff that should be possible in a game like this to survive. "I got a friend ingame? Well surviving is more important so..." The crafting system is also very thought out. But at the moment I am very annoyed at small stuff, for example that you can climb over fences. They said it will be possible but they simply havent finished the animations for it yet.

That's why I worry about the limitations of using 2d art. It's also more time consuming to the developers. Looks pretty cool though.

Apparently you can save your wife and find a hideout with her, but it requires a shotgun. I didn't even realize a guy appears with a shotgun in the first house if you wait long enough without starting the oven.

Toma

bengraven said:
That's why I worry about the limitations of using 2d art. It's also more time consuming to the developers. Looks pretty cool though.

Apparently you can save your wife and find a hideout with her, but it requires a shotgun. I didn't even realize a guy appears with a shotgun in the first house if you wait long enough without starting the oven.

Doesnt make too much sense yet though, because your starting area is the most ressourceful with a lot of empty areas a bit farther away.

Another thing where the potential of what might be possible later truly shines.

atre324

Yea, I know the point of the game is to see how long you can survive, but having to start from scratch every time is kinda annoying. I had fun with the demo but I dunno if I want to play the full version just yet. Is there some way to get past the dude with the shotgun? I stood there swinging at him and nothing happened, lol

Toma

atre324 said:
Yea, I know the point of the game is to see how long you can survive, but having to start from scratch every time is kinda annoying. I had fun with the demo but I dunno if I want to play the full version just yet. Is there some way to get past the dude with the shotgun? I stood there swinging at him and nothing happened, lol

Oh yeah reminds me. Another minor annoyance, being able the save the game would be nice.

bengraven

How do you heal yourself?

I can take pain meds by clicking on the heart, but bandages don't work. My guy literally sat there trying to use a bandage until I just died.

bathala

Banned
started playing the game. thanks for Weekend Confirmed for mentioning it and Keyser for providing the DL link.

I'm guessing combining woods, nails, and hammer creates the barricade. If want to get in, how do i break the barricade?

encountered a bug crafting option won't appear even clicking it. Restarted the game. it worked.

F!ReW!Re

Just found out about this game through another forum I'm lurking on, Alpha Tech demo is surprisingly fun!

Check out the Alpha tech demo here;

Fileplanet;
http://www.fileplanet.com/220702/220000/fileinfo/Project-Zomboid-Pre-Alpha-Tech-Demo

Or get it via Torrent;
http://www.projectzomboid.com/test666/ProjectZomboid_PublicTechDemo_0_1_4c.zip.torrent

For people who want to see more about the game check out these youtube vids;

Walkthrough vid1;
http://www.youtube.com/user/paulsoaresjr#p/search/3/Qm2JMjKH9Ck

Walkthrough vid2;
http://www.youtube.com/user/paulsoaresjr#p/search/4/M3t_SNJ2sZQ

Walkthrough vid3;
http://www.youtube.com/user/paulsoaresjr#p/search/5/FJ-MYxncFmA

and some images;
pz5.png

pz1.png

pz2c.png

Toma

New interesting tidbits:
JtGuH.jpg

The update seems to be tomorrow/day after tomorrow.

Professions / Traits (95%)
Curtains (100%)
Burglar Alarms (100%)
Some… STUFF ;) (50%)
Important fixes (fire crash etc) (100%)
Craftable Doors (75%)

Of course these numbers probably mean little but just know we’re close and each day we’re hoping we’ll be able to get it out there, so very possibly tomorrow. If not then the day after.

It looks pretty cool but I'm sort of getting sick of seeing the pretty-obviously-astroturfing posts on places like Reddit and /v/.

Plus wasn't this the game that started out with a blog saying "hey it'll be like minecraft give us money before we give you any product!" and went dark for a while? Or was that another indie zombie game? Lord knows, there are plenty of them.

Toma

BigJiantRobut said:
It looks pretty cool but I'm sort of getting sick of seeing the pretty-obviously-astroturfing posts on places like Reddit and /v/.

Plus wasn't this the game that started out with a blog saying "hey it'll be like minecraft give us money before we give you any product!" and went dark for a while? Or was that another indie zombie game? Lord knows, there are plenty of them.

They need to gather some attention somehow. And this game shows a LOT of (up to now unfulfilled), potential. You should give the demo a try.

It still has loads of issues. But it might become really interesting.

Toma said:
They need to gather some attention somehow. And this game shows a LOT of potential. You should give the demo a try.

It still has loads of issues,though. But it might become really interesting.

Sure, but obnoxious undercover marketing isn't going to win me (and many people, I hope) over.

Same thing happened with Interstellar Marines. Their SEO was so bad it hurt me.

Toma

BigJiantRobut said:
Sure, but obnoxious undercover marketing isn't going to win me (and many people, I hope) over.

Same thing happened with Interstellar Marines. Their SEO was so bad it hurt me.

Yeah, this is annoying, true. But I think we had quite a few people here on Gaf with quite good game projects, and they almost always fail due to not enough marketing/attention grabbing mechanisms.

I mean if they need to resort to shady means of getting attention to promote a game they are convinced of because otherwise they'd drown in the crowd ... well, lets just say that I can relate to that, even though it might leave a bad taste.

Toma said:
Yeah, this is annoying, true. But I think we had quite a few people here on Gaf with quite good game projects, and they almost always fail due to not enough marketing/attention grabbing mechanisms.

I mean if they need to resort to shady means of getting attention to promote a game they are convinced of because otherwise they'd drown in the crowd ... well, lets just say that I can relate to that, even though it might leave a bad taste.

No offense intended here or anything, but do you think it might be because the games aren't always that interesting? I mean, I'm a hopeful graphic artist, and if something I put up doesn't get any attention I assume it's because there's something I need to improve about the piece (and my skill). Failure is a learning experience, I feel that it's sort of cheating to resort to these sneaky methods of canvasing.

It just seems weirdly dishonest to resort to such underhanded tactics on an independent project.

Toma

BigJiantRobut said:
No offense intended here or anything, but do you think it might be because the games aren't always that interesting? I mean, I'm a hopeful graphic artist, and if something I put up doesn't get any attention I assume it's because there's something I need to improve about the piece (and my skill). Failure is a learning experience, I feel that it's sort of cheating to resort to these sneaky methods of canvasing.

It just seems weirdly dishonest to resort to such underhanded tactics on an independent project.

I wouldnt really say that for everything. If I remember correctly we had one Gaffer posting about the sales for his puzzle game on IOS. It was a good game and had a charming style, but still went under because he wasnt able to gather a bit more attention.

Of course its sad that people need to resort to these means, but I can understand why.

Anyway, sorry for arguing :) Way too tired actually. Just wanted to update the thread as I was checking the progress of a few Indie Games a while ago.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Man i'm watching a Project Zomboid and it looks like a better version of Rogue Suvivor which i loved to death despise it's shortcomings. I'm not sure if Zomboid is gonna have the same sense of scale as Rogue Survivor (a massive city to explore) but it looks promising. I'm gonna try out the alpha and see what's up.

JoeBoy101

Just played the demo and really liked it, though first dying in the fire, and then by the dude with the shotgun? Anyway to get past that point, or is it curtains then, with the wife?

Also, brilliantly used music in the game too.

Mafro

JoeBoy101 said:
Just played the demo and really liked it, though first dying in the fire, and then by the dude with the shotgun? Anyway to get past that point, or is it curtains then, with the wife?

Also, brilliantly used music in the game too.
You can
hide in the bathroom then creep up behind him and hit him in the head with the hammer

Mafro

Toma said:
Minor Update I guess:

Geez, people can be such a pain in the ass:

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/07/it-had-to-be-said/

I really hope they get the community to shut up about obligations. Its like people are forgetting what they actually want to support. The sense of "entitlement" for an unreleased game is so fucking stupid.
I can see what some of the whiners are getting at, though. Don't say the update will be released "in a few days" if it's clearly not going to be. I'm glad they won't be announcing release estimates in future.

Salsa

Been playing the alpha today, loving it as i knew i would. Sad this thread isnt getting the recognition the game deserves.

First run of the demo turned out painfully tragic

ieu2gQ.png

Nelo Ice

Banned
bleh so u still cant buy the alpha? been wanting to get this since i saw that it'll be using steam in some fashion but i guess the paid alpha still isnt available =(

this game intrigues the hell out of me. going to purchase it soon to support the dev, but i may wait until it is more complete to actually dig into it. don't want to get addicted to an early build and burn out a la minecraft. it helps that i have a bunch of new steam games to play.

Mafro said:
I can see what some of the whiners are getting at, though. Don't say the update will be released "in a few days" if it's clearly not going to be. I'm glad they won't be announcing release estimates in future.
it is pretty laughable to attack a tiny indie team for slipping up in this manner when even massively funded teams with their high salary project managers often can't nail down release windows. if anything it's good to see them learn from their mistakes.

Azriell

This looks so good. I've been away from my house for close to a month and haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I can't help but wonder how well it might work on iOS. Seems exactly like the sort of thing I'd love to have in my pocket with me at all times.

Marco1

I bought this and have given up waiting.
I know the devs have had their difficulties and I am sure they have learnt a lot from this release.

Kahoona

SalsaShark said:
Been playing the alpha today, loving it as i knew i would. Sad this thread isnt getting the recognition the game deserves.

First run of the demo turned out painfully tragic

ieu2gQ.png
My first run was pretty hysterical. I went to cook a can of soup and didn't realize you had to turn the stove off so it started on fire...then the walls..then me. I start running around trying to figure out how to put myself out and then I say to my self "hey, it's raining outside!" so I run to the door, open it, and get run over by about 25 zombies flooding in through the door!

Seraph-

If you have not checked out this game, I highly suggest you do. It is so entertaining! For those who don't know, this is an isometric zombie survival RPG in which crafting, looting and fighting for survival are key. In the intro it states "This is the story of how you died" because in the end you will, it's just a matter of how long can you survive. The devs have some absolutely wonderful plans for this game, and as is it is a great way to kill some time. Definitely worth the price of admission, which I believe unupdated is free, or you can pay for the newest (and very sizeable) release. Cooking, crafting, all kinds of weapons, barricades, and tense chase scenes....great game

Edit: Here's a link to the free tech demo, I hope you guys will give this a try and it will manage to lure you in to paying these devs for their great work!
http://www.fileplanet.com/220702/220000/fileinfo/Project-Zomboid-Pre-Alpha-Tech-Demo

bought this on Desura (omg another DD store!).
http://www.desura.com/games/project-zomboid

Since the only 2 choices to get the game right now are desura or google checkout.

However both choices WILL LEAD in the future to a code to activate on steam also, so essentially itll be on steam someday hopefully, and buying it on desura allows you to have a steam version down the road when its ready.

ZZMitch said:
Is there any new info on when this is coming to Steam?

here is some infos from one of the devs on the steam stuff

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/08/just-to-clear-something-up-re-steam/
There have been a lot of questions regarding what’s happening with Steam. We are not going on the Steam store. It will not be possible to purchase Project Zomboid on Steam for the foreseeable future, and no agreement has been made to do so in the future. We’d love to be on the Steam store, for obvious reasons. But we’re a bit early on for that kinda thing.

Instead they are letting us use their servers, their library, their update system, their DRM (no more logon boxes!) but we will not appear in any form on the store and the game will only be able to appear on your Steam library via redeem codes.

So to go through each issue that’s been raised in comments / tweets / forum posts:

1) When we are on Steam (just as in using their servers and DRM and library via redeem codes) we plan to allow you to transfer from Desura to Steam. The details of how this will take place are not clear at the moment, but there is nothing stopping us from being able to do this.

2) If you’re waiting to purchase the game until it’s on Steam, you could be looking at a year, perhaps more. Perhaps it’ll never be on the Steam store. We just don’t know. I’d like to think we will be, though.

3) Now the update is out (barring a few fixes and optimizations that need sorting when our brains work again) we can go full gear into getting onto Steam. There are a few things we need to do, a bit of PHP programming and whatnot to handle the codes, that we just couldn’t find the time to do while working on the update. So hopefully we’ll have Steam support very soon. However you won’t be able to buy any other way but Desura and Google Checkout for a good while, and both these paths can lead to Steam codes, so if you want the game, don’t let waiting for that stop you.

4) I should add for clarity, that you don’t actually need to go to Desura to ultimately get a Steam code, though the benefits of using Desura (like having auto-updating) that you’re after in Steam in the first place should be the reasons you decide to use it (also, to be honest, it makes our lives 1000x easier and Scott has done some awesome things for our game and other alphadonationware indie titles with the service). The route from Desura to Steam is through our own user database. Desura will offer a way for you to register on our servers and get a PZ username / password to your e-mail, and it’s once you’re in our database we’ll be able to assign you a Steam code.

Obviously it’s up to you where you purchase from, but we will say that if you’re easy either way, going with Desura is our preferred choice. Firstly we feel they more than deserve their cut and our support for being so accommodating to our game on their service, secondly they cut down severely on the amount of administrative stuff we need to deal with and thirdly, it’s a lot easier to update the version there and lastly it keeps us once removed from the terrors of online merchants ;) Obviously at the moment Linux and Mac users are not able to use it, but once we’re on Steam and Desura releases on Linux, we should have a distribution platform for each and every platform.

Thank you! :)

Indie Stone

now to actually play more of it.

ZZMitch

ZombieSupaStar said:
bought this on Desura (omg another DD store!).
http://www.desura.com/games/project-zomboid

Since the only 2 choices to get the game right now are desura or google checkout.

However both choices WILL LEAD in the future to a code to activate on steam also, so essentially itll be on steam someday hopefully, and buying it on desura allows you to have a steam version down the road when its ready.

here is some infos from one of the devs on the steam stuff

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/08/just-to-clear-something-up-re-steam/

now to actually play more of it.

Alright, thanks for the info!

I will buy it now then.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I have a strong urge to buy this game (8 bucks is cheap) but i just can't get the damn demo to run on my PC, maybe the full version will solve that problem but i'm still wary of being burned. I might just buy it anyway just to support the devs because i'm dumb like that.

bengraven

Holy shit, the creator is having a meltdown on Twitter.

Apparently they lost two laptops with most if not all the code on it. To top it off, they've been getting non-stop abuse for months on Twitter and I think it's too much for him.

http://twitter.com/#!/lemmy101

Two laptops robbed from flat. Last couple of months work on it stupidly backed up on tbe other.

Police on their way. Binky and nick out at a club. Feeling sick in tears. They came in my bedroom

We're fucked basucally. How I envy those guys a few hours of blissful ignorance

I expect i'll either get a lot of disbelief or a lot of flak for no regular off site backup. I deserve both

We still have code but its basically before the last update. Tbis will probably finish us. Sorry let everyone down

Fwiw couldnt, give a shit about the laptops even tho one is less than a week old. its the code :(

For the record we will.carry on. We'll need peoples patience though and only reason I say we fucked......is I worry thats a tap we've ran dry. Pz will still be developed as long as we're breathing tbo

Fuck wish I never read that reddit. Cheers captain hindsights

@DickRichardson1 fuck you not what I need now. Check the incident number photo prick.

DickRichardson1 DickRichardson
by lemmy101@
@lemmy101 You are a fucking con artist.

To all those reddit arseholes. You haven't got nothing you got the game stop saying you got nothing

And it was a fiver jesus christ! And reactionary freaking out aside we're obviously carrying on.

Well fuck em had most traumatic night of my life don't need being called a crook into the bargain

I'm also drunk which I think you can agree is justified right now

Call me a con artist if u want i'll take ur fucjing money and jump out a fucking window

Apptrackr Apptrackr
by lemmy101
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, @lemmy101 really seems like he's going to kill himself because of how careless he was with his source code.

sympathy_ebooks Sympathy 3000-21
by lemmy101
@lemmy101 hey you're a retard and your game blows. see ya. [not a lot of "sympathy" lol]

You know a few hours ago I was all of course we're gonna continue. Now i'm tbinking I can't deal with this nasty shit

Call me a scammer if u like but I wasn't strong enougb to handle nasty comments before. Def not now

Gonna go back into business programming. Fuck games. Totally not worth it.

But yeah fuck you everyone else and I mean that sincerely

Point is I cant. i've had enough. I knew we'd get this vicious backlash and I can't deal with it.

You can call me a dick but you know nothing. Nothing.

Top Bottom