• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

He's the creative mind behind Lost and the new Star Trek movies. I wouldn't say he ruined anything, but he has a very....TV-campy sensibility when it comes to scifi.

Well Lost started out fine.
That new Star Trek campy lensflare fest doesn't seem very compatible with the Alien Universe though.

EliCash

If we are to take Sci-Fi Ridley Scott as a separate director from the Robin Hood Ridley Scott, then we should be statistically golden, right?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
He's the creative mind behind Lost and the new Star Trek movies. I wouldn't say he ruined anything, but he has a very....TV-campy sensibility when it comes to scifi.

Lindelof didn't write the stark trek film in 2009 iirc

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I think the wide shot of them gathering around the light on the ground is the only film screen actually. The Big sculpture shot seems like something they specifically cropped and finished as some sort of poster shot. Either way, it just feels a bit odd to me. The costume design decisions seem to invoke more of a Star Trek feel than an Aliens feel, but maybe that's what Scott is going for this time? I dunno.

Edit: I'm talking about this one.

qVYmm.jpg

What's that dead body on the bottom right? That looks pretty "Alien" but I agree, the suits look Star-Trekie. Charlize Theron is a spitting image of Zero Suit Samus though.

People also have to keep in mind that this doesn't appear to be some random trucker mining team, which would explain why they have different uniforms.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
People also have to keep in mind that this doesn't appear to be some random trucker mining team, which would explain why they have different uniforms.

This!

You would imagine that some kind of top science exploratory team would have the best equipment available, contrary to the random truckers of Alien. But it does look a bit too high tech for a time period preceding that of Alien, but that's probably unavoidable.

It would have been great if they could somehow have reproduced that 70's future aesthetic.

The science team status explains something, but I think we can agree that Charlize is looking very seven-of-nine in that skin tight get-up.

Truant

My guess is that the suits in Alien were meant to be used in deep space, for fixing the Nostromo when it's not docked. These suits are just for exploring planets and such. I have no problem believing that they have thin fabrics that are both durable and resistant to extreme temperatures, when they can travel to foreign worlds.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I am sure the original suit design will somehow be featured in the film. It's way too iconic to just ignore and overlook. Stay positive gaf. Believe.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I haven't followed the plot details too closely but aren't these scientists/astronauts? I wouldn't expect them to look like space truckers. The dirt and grime is still there, but only in the places it should be. And I have a feeling we'll be seeing those nice, clean ship interiors get plenty dirty before the film is over.

jett

D-Member

That's really no excuse. What about the company man Burke in Aliens, or the marines? They didn't wear anything similar to this mass effect-looking stupid-ass pseudo-armor.

That's really no excuse. What about the company man Burke in Aliens, or the marines? They didn't wear anything similar to this mass effect-looking stupid-ass pseudo-armor.

Isn't this movie meant to be set at a different time than when Alien and Aliens take place? That would be a very good reason why they're not wearing anything similar to what was worn by the marines in Aliens.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the suits look great.

Yes it is a reason. It's also in the past (and way in the past compared to Aliens). If anything the suits remind me of 50s sci-fi anyway.

Tedesco!

So these guys are Trekkies? Is that it? Lol.

I have no idea. I've not seen Prometheus. It's pretty much been established in the Alien universe that the military dress like the military. With Burke being a civilian, I would guess that he wouldn't need to wear a special uniform.

This movie takes place before all other Alien events. Who the hell knows why they are wearing those uniforms? We'll find out next year.

So how many years before the first Alien movie does this take place? Considering the space jockey had decayed and grafted itself to the seat, are we talking 100s here?

Well, back when it was still an 'Untitled Alien Prequel'...
Scott: It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that?

MTV: Of course.

Scott: And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom