• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proper support for Wii U GamePad for PC is imminent (incl. video streaming)

ITT: some people somehow don't see the novelty in being able to use a mobile device to play their favorite PC games wherever the hell

man gamers really are jaded these days

at least now you won't have to save and quit to menu in Dark Souls to take a shit rite guiz

all it takes is a Wii U to save yourself literally seconds of infuriating inconvenience... well worth the entry price

sekrit

Banned
The main problem is that this thing is currently Linux only... so someone will have to port it to Windows. And then it's likely Durante will have to fix it.:p

There is a TODO page in the slides and they mention windows and osx ports, streaming over internet, more user friendliness etc. Nothing is guaranteed of course.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh wow, that's a majority of the utility gone right there lol. Most games on Steam still require Windows to run at acceptable performance. (or to run at all).

It being Linux only at the moment isn't integral to the design, it just hasn't been made for Windows yet.

Because personally, I have no PC monitor - it's hooked up to my living room TV.

I'm not the only one who lives here, and Dark Souls II will demand my time and attention. Being able to throw the game onto the gamepad whenever someone wants to watch eastenders or whatever shit is on will be a life saver. Same goes for any PC game, really. I have to clarify too that I do not play games that require a keyboard and mouse because it's fucking horrendous trying to play a game like that in this environment.

It'll get ported to windows.

So nothing specific to Dark Souls II, just for video games in general?

Because everyone seems to mention it specifically in the case of Dark Souls II and I don't understand the link to it in particular.

Rich!

It being Linux only at the moment isn't integral to the design, it just hasn't been made for Windows yet.

So nothing specific to Dark Souls II, just for video games in general?

Because everyone seems to mention it specifically in the case of Dark Souls II and I don't understand the link to it in particular.

Because it's my most anticipated game, that's why. There's nothing further to look into.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
As a Wii U owner and someone just getting started with Steam and shit,

cool. I tried to pair up my Pro Controller with my laptop but to no success, I'll try it again soon enough. This would be pretty sweet though.

Rich!

So I assume you'll be able to map the controls to the gamepad buttons? Is such a thing even possible? 0_o

You can already do that. I played through half of Arkham City on my PC using my Wii U gamepad. Video streaming was the final thing missing.

KHlover

Banned
Still need to watch the talk, but that sounds amazing. Ironically - Super Smash Bros. on the gamepad with gamepad controls - here I come :D

wrowa

I hope this will work without latency issues. If I can play some of my PC games on the GamePad while in bed I can see myself crossing some games off my endless Steam backlog... :p

Some indie games and especially emulated software sounds like a perfect fit for the GamePad. Can't wait to play PSX games on the pad. Especially since the GamePad's resolution should be better suited to those old games than most monitors.

Rich!

I hope this will work without latency issues. If I can play some of my PC games on the GamePad while in bed I can see myself crossing some games off my endless Steam backlog... :p

Some indie games and especially emulated software sounds like a perfect fit for the GamePad. Can't wait to play PSX games on the pad.

Retroarch is all you need. SNES, CPS1/2/3, NEOGEO, NES, Mega Drive, PCE, PCE CD, PSX, and on and on

All on the gamepad in native res. It'll be amazing.

rpmurphy

I hope the framerate and latency for the streaming will hold up. Even better if they can map touchscreen controls to mouse clicks too.

DR2K

Banned
I can play mine on the front porch some 25 feet away but can't directly above it in the kitchen. I love when it can go far but damn it's inconsistent. More than likely metals, wiring, wireless jazz getting in the way but it's still silly. Would buy a signal booster in a heartbeat.

For me it stopped working as soon as I left the room. Game pad should be optional since it doesn't work as advertised depending on home or set up. Wonder if this exploit will allow it to function better.

javac

You can already do that. I played through half of Arkham City on my PC using my Wii U gamepad. Video streaming was the final thing missing.

What! :0 That's really cool. If I don't have to mess about with the gamepad itself I think this is really cool. Not for me personally because I don't game much on my laptop although it's pretty powerful but it's obviously got potential to be a great device for people who play pc games.

I hope the framerate and latency for the streaming will hold up. Even better if they can map touchscreen controls to mouse clicks too.

Touchscreen is working, and according to the stream, latency is good. Now they just need to make it more stable, userfriendly and port it to windows.

Rich!

Also, think outside the box a bit. It doesn't have to be used strictly for games.

It can be used as a second monitor for anything.

chadboban

It's good enough for what it is.

Gotta say I agree with this. I got a Wii U last week and pretty much expected to have my eyeballs melt out of my face with the way some people described the horribleness of the gamepad screen. Sure it's no retina, but I was pleasantly surprised at it's quality given what I was told. Also VC games are fantastic on it.

Hope a release of this isn't too far off.

jcm

Yeah, I can't think of a downside for Nintendo. Enhancing the functionality of off-TV play and getting the gamepad into more hands can only be a good thing for them. Really, they should be doing this themselves.

Nintendo sells hardware below cost in order to make money selling software. They don't want to sell hardware below cost in order to help valve sell software.

I've been using my to play a few games on the PC with Splashtop.

So this does interest me. Especially as I would prefer actual buttons to on screen keyboard buttons.
I may buy an extra Wii U controller just to do this. As I bought the most expensive ASUS router on the market to do this sort of thing.

I would really like to play Tales of Symphonia in this fashion. And if I could find a way to play MMORPGs, that would be really nice.
Though that would probably be very difficult.

Recettear is another game that would be fun to play this way. Though from experience, is also very easy to play with a touchscreen.
Touhou would be much easier to play this way than with on screen keyboard or gamepad controls. I've tried playing Touhou with an on screen gamepad, and it's very hard.

Son Of D

Nintendo sells hardware below cost in order to make money selling software. They don't want to sell hardware below cost in order to help valve sell software.

Pretty much. Sure there's the possibility that someone who buys a Wii U for PC streaming purposes may pick up a first party game or two, but I doubt that number will be high enough to make it worthwhile.

Anony

watched the video
this is really really early stuff, mostly working in linux only
from the impression they give in the video, don't expect it working (like the way you think it will, aka steam streaming) any time soon

Haunted

Realistically, I don't think this will be really usable due to latency, but it would be kinda funny if you could play the NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii catalogue on the WiiU gamepad via PC when Nintendo itself is incapable of providing that. :lol

Hackers do what Nintendoesn't?

jAlXUaE5ER8BB.jpg

I just want to say, that is the most beautiful picture ever.

Realistically, I don't think this will be really usable due to latency
I've mostly used Splashtop with my tablet to play Tales of the Abyss. But I haven't noticed any latency so far.

I assume if you are using a quality router and aren't far from the source, or the PC streaming your games, there shouldn't be that much latency.

I think it relates to being able to control the quality of the brand. By depending on a variety of computer and wireless technologies the experience will likely not be as good as with soley the WiiU - resulting in people blaming Nintendo (even if it their crappy computer or router). Why else would they have built independent wireless technology into the WiiU, as opposed to relying on wireless routers like the Shield.
The reason why it uses a wireless tech of its own instead of wireless routers is simply because if it used a router, then you'd practically need an internet connection to use the system (which Nintendo doesn't want to force naturally).

I can however, see one possible downside for Nintendo. At the moment I'm holding off on buying some indie games from Steam because I'd rather take them on Wii U for off TV play. Even with the higher price it's worth it for me in many cases. But now I'll just get them for cheap from Steam. That's less sales for Nintendo's ecosystem. But this might be quite a minority problem.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. Sounds awesome really. I've been thinking about how cool it would be but for whatever reason I thought it just wouldn't be possible.

Top Bottom