• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests escalate in Hong Kong, violent clashes with police (Update: HKG airport grounded; mainland military rolling in)

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
God damn what a cute doggo

Also Orange Man Bad, thats all there is too it. If Trump cured cancer the left would protest for cancer and start calling cancer great and wonderful.
Thanks, i'm a weirdo and like to make gifs of my dogs. I agree about the Trump derangement. I'm not sure how they can rationalize that. They hate China, but they want China to continue to take the united states to the cleaners on trade.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
This is why we need an RPG Codex-inspired rating system for posters, EviLore EviLore . If ever there was a post that needed to be rated "Retadred" this is it.
Ah yes we should put little arm bands on 'problematic' members so we can implement a final solution at later date. Sounds familiar. Almost killed gaf last time.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Gashtronomy
Oct 26, 2018
Things won't change much in the short term, just like the past few decades. But at some point it'll flip like a switch.

Best thing for Hong Kong people to do is bolt for a new country in the next few years to play safe.

Last thing you want is to be caught in some weird red tape as mainland China takes over and limits access.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: V4skunk and pramod

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Jun 8, 2004
Ah yes we should put little arm bands on 'problematic' members so we can implement a final solution at later date. Sounds familiar. Almost killed gaf last time.
Well, we could always take the more direct route and straight up call you a piece of shit, because you really came off as a massive piece of shit with that comment of yours that I quoted.

Reactions: hariseldon

Rudelord

Jun 11, 2013
No, what almost killed gaf was overzealous moderation. Calling you exceptional for acting the part but not banning you isn't the same thing.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Would you instead prefer a social credit system?
How about a banking credit score system. Basically the same thing in a capitalist country.

What if I were to tell you guys, that the protestors were the globalist, leftist, commie cucks all along....

-irate at 5,000 years of glorious Han nationalism
-waving flags of other countries
-embraced by the western media
-appeals to internationalism
-student leadership
-attacking celebs online that dare pledge support to glorious motherland

These are the DNC rats of China.

Like I said, I look forward to their squashing. Will be there in person by December to observe the results.

• Triggered
Reactions: Ornlu and V4skunk

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
How about a banking credit score system. Basically the same thing in a capitalist country.

What if I were to tell you guys, that the protestors were the globalist, leftist, commie cucks all along....

-student leadership

Like I said, I look forward to their squashing. Will be there in person by December to observe the results.

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
I see children without much idea how the world works.

Which is why I'm of two minds. I don't want their short lives ruined by a silly/futile protest. At the same time children should be taught important lessons on how to behave in the face of authority.

This is awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: God Enel

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Something I find interesting that I wanted to point out. The leftists here in America are on the side of the protesters and continually bash China. Those same leftists bash Trump for the trade war....

Because they have no principles and just parrot groupthink, they quite often find themselves mired in doublethink.

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018

Anti-protestor rally today, 500k in attendance but who knows if the numbers are accurate.

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
People don’t understand.

This is now a colour revolution.

Supporting the protestors wholesale without caution at this point is just falling for it.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Example of a counter Hong Kong protest in Canada.

Do all the people waving the Communist Chinese flag realize it's only because of democracy why both groups are allowed to hold protests in Canada?

Edit: Holy crap, I saw another video today and you can see all the rich sport cars owner are flying the Communist flag. What does that tell you?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Example of a counter Hong Kong protest in Canada.

Do all the people waving the Communist Chinese flag realize it's only because of democracy why both groups are allowed to hold protests in Canada?

Edit: Holy crap, I saw another video today and you can see all the rich sport cars owner are flying the Communist flag. What does that tell you?

I love protests.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Here's something to pay attention to about the protests held in foreign countries.

Who do you think the the pro-Chinese supporters are trying to appeal to? Are they trying to rally people to oppose democracy? Or are they just signal boosting to the Chinese government at home?

For example, here's another protest held in London, England and look at how the Pro-Chinese supporters are holding signs saying "they love China" and "a one China future". They're definitely sending a message that they're ready to do the government's bidding from all across the world.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

-student leadership

The social credit system is not at all the same thing as credit scores in America.

For someone who gets offended at being called retarded, you act really fucking retarded

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Here's something to pay attention to about the protests held in foreign countries.

Who do you think the the pro-Chinese supporters are trying to appeal to? Are they trying to rally people to oppose democracy? Or are they just signal boosting to the Chinese government at home?

For example, here's another protest held in London, England and look at how the Pro-Chinese supporters are holding signs saying "they love China" and "a one China future". They're definitely sending a message that they're ready to do the government's bidding from all across the world.

China has already invaded and bought most of London. Imagine if things were meant to get nasty, what defense would we have?

waxer

Aug 24, 2006
What type of crazy hell hole do you people imagine China being. The hyperbole is cray cray.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Chinese people within or outside China being proud of where they are from without agenda. Lol.

Id live there. I really enjoy my holidays there.

Next you'll start talking Muslim camps forced into eating pork lol.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
What type of crazy hell hole do you people imagine China being. The hyperbole is cray cray.
My rule when it comes to countries:
If there are obvious limits on freedom (i.e freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, free and fair elections) then it's hell.

Taiwan and Hong Kong are Chinese, but they've done away with the Communist repression. I support them.

The People's Republic of China is ruled by a 1 party dictatorship. You can't question their authority or you're dead.

Same principle when it comes to the two Koreas. If you're ethnically Korean but support Kim Jong Un's regime over the more free and democratic South Korea, you are crazy.

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
My rule when it comes to countries:
If there are obvious limits on freedom (i.e freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, free and fair elections) then it's hell.

Taiwan and Hong Kong are Chinese, but they've done away with the Communist repression. I support them.

The People's Republic of China is ruled by a 1 party dictatorship. You can't question their authority or you're dead.

Same principal when it comes to the two Koreas. If you're ethnically Korean but support Kim Jong Un's regime over the more free and democratic South Korea, you are crazy.
Nailed it. For all the throwing around accusations of fascism here there and everywhere, here we have an actual case.

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Chinese people within or outside China being proud of where they are from without agenda. Lol.

Are you denying the fact that China persecutes religious people and that they are jailed in concentration camps?

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

One that rates its citizens on their allegiance to The Party.

Vow

Dec 19, 2018

National Endowment for Democracy is a weaponised regime change NGO.

You can agree with the protesters desire for independence or democracy and still understand this point. As I said earlier in the thread, street movements are pretty much always co-opted. How you can tell:

1. Sudden increase in violence.
2. Sudden increase in legacy media coverage.

Only street movement that seems has not been co-opted is Gilets Jaunes because of the absence of 2.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

National Endowment for Democracy is a weaponised regime change NGO.

You can agree with the protesters desire for independence or democracy and still understand this point. As I said earlier in the thread, street movements are pretty much always co-opted. How you can tell:

1. Sudden increase in violence.
2. Sudden increase in legacy media coverage.

Only street movement that seems has not been co-opted is Gilets Jaunes because of the absence of 2.
Basically every "movement", revolution, revolt, etc is going to have some form of outside support. This is historically true as well.

waxer

Aug 24, 2006
Are you denying the fact that China persecutes religious people and that they are jailed in concentration camps?
I'm saying that I ate at several Muslim restaurants while on holiday and wouldn't consider certain statement s as fact. They were open about their religion. With religious pictures on walls. Woman wearing head scarves and no pork on the menu.

Not in the more international Beijing either. I'll believe my own eyes. If that point isn't real then I personally have to ask what else isn't.

Day to day living in China feels no different to New Zealand is my point. If you took media at face value you would never think that it was. Some people seem to not even realise why citizens would continue to live there and that they need saving from oppression.

Which isn't how the population is going to feel hence celebrities supporting the mainland.

Saying let's give them our freedom and liberties without even trying to understand them is about as silly as saying all trump supporters are racist. It will never help the situation either.

China like all countries isn't perfect. But if you deny reality then how do you plan on changing anything.

I would argue to be Careful not to get to close to point of Chinese should be ashamed of their country and anything done in past just like white males. Or attacking celebrities for being proud of their heritage. China just going to use the hate speech against you by not reacting publicly. Although of late they have been issuing some pretty funny statements calling out bullshit like the aussie minister visas.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I would argue to be Careful not to get to close to point of Chinese should be ashamed of their country and anything done in past just like white males. Or attacking celebrities for being proud of their heritage.
Who is talking about the past?

China is STILL a dictatorship. Taiwan and Hong Kong are the exact opposite but are ethnically Chinese and have heritage.

Also, the Chinese government stills censors their history.

Last edited:

Ownage

Nov 5, 2018
www.zombo.com
In Vancouver, Canada, a live screening of the police attacks in Hong Kong was cancelled after threats were made by armed Pro-Chinese groups.

Also, holy crap, Vancouver might as well be called Hong Kong 2.0. Look at all the people there.
Many HK here since 1997. Part of the fabric of Vancouver. More mainlanders here in the past 10 years, now making up a majority of Chinese immigrants. Much of the Chinese money is either stolen by mainland govt staff cleaning out the municipal coiffers and sending family abroad, or purposefully given to chosen families to settle in foreign countries and begin buying up real estate.

All things considered, HK is China. HK refuses to accept that the laws written and in place for decades are about to be enforced, and rather than comply voluntarily and get a high five with new localized investment or bounce the fuck outta HK for anywhere westernized, they're going to be dragged in, and it won't be pretty.

I'm laowai, and I have worked in HK, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing for years. Mainland China is awesome. Western media wants to paint a nasty picture about China, and feel free to believe it. In reality, it's my first choice to live and work abroad.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Hayfield

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I'm saying that I ate at several Muslim restaurants while on holiday and wouldn't consider certain statement s as fact. They were open about their religion. With religious pictures on walls. Woman wearing head scarves and no pork on the menu.

Not in the more international Beijing either. I'll believe my own eyes. If that point isn't real then I personally have to ask what else isn't.

Day to day living in China feels no different to New Zealand is my point. If you took media at face value you would never think that it was. Some people seem to not even realise why citizens would continue to live there and that they need saving from oppression.

Which isn't how the population is going to feel hence celebrities supporting the mainland.

Saying let's give them our freedom and liberties without even trying to understand them is about as silly as saying all trump supporters are racist. It will never help the situation either.

China like all countries isn't perfect. But if you deny reality then how do you plan on changing anything.

I would argue to be Careful not to get to close to point of Chinese should be ashamed of their country and anything done in past just like white males. Or attacking celebrities for being proud of their heritage. China just going to use the hate speech against you by not reacting publicly. Although of late they have been issuing some pretty funny statements calling out bullshit like the aussie minister visas.
Hey, so because you ate at a restaurant you think the concentration camps aren't real? How do you feel about tiananmen square? Or any of the documented human right abuses? Or s*** all the people who have criticized the CCP and been arrested or disappeared.

That's also ignored those because again restaurant.

China has a bad reputation for a reason. We are talking about the same communist government who shot live rounds at thousands of innocent people who wanted the bare minimum reforms

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018

1. China dictator crowned himself king when he removed a way for him to get removed from office
2. Social score system that disbars you from stuff like credits, travel etc based on your political views
3. China using violence to sqash people who don't like autocratic leadership.

That is literally what Adolf Hitler would dream about.

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
Basically every "movement", revolution, revolt, etc is going to have some form of outside support. This is historically true as well.
So you would have no issue if it came out that China was funding, training and coordinating a group in the US who were demonstrating against the US government?

Of course you would. So why are you ok with the US doing it in China?

Last edited:
Reactions: crowbrow and waxer

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
So you would have no issue if it came out that China was funding, training and coordinating a group in the US who were demonstrating against the US government?

I didn't say I was for or against either did I?

My point is that downplaying the legitimacy of a movement based solely on them having outside support is ridiculous. Every movement does.

The US meddles in basically every election around the planet. Do you think that means that any movement or party, anywhere around the globe that directly or indirectly receives US support is illegitimate?

waxer

Aug 24, 2006
Hey, so because you ate at a restaurant you think the concentration camps aren't real? How do you feel about tiananmen square? Or any of the documented human right abuses? Or s*** all the people who have criticized the CCP and been arrested or disappeared.

That's also ignored those because again restaurant.
You got me thats exactly what I wrote.

I'm saying that because Muslims are openly displaying their beliefs in places I have visited in China that media reports of them being forced to stop their beliefs and eat pork are clearly(to me) a load of bullshit. Nothing about anything else.

The world isn't black and white.
Its OK to vote trump and not be racist. One doesn't automatically mean the other.

Once you water down reality with to much fake news it's hard to tell what's real nymore. I think long term you do yourself a disservice.

Plus you have to look at the funny side of life. Like aussie ministers complaining about visas then having to go back on it when China made a rare public announcement not true.

China's tactics aren't what they were in the past. Western fear the unknown and their own imaginations. How can you defeat or predict an enemy you refuse to get to understand.

1. China dictator crowned himself king when he removed a way for him to get removed from office
2. Social score system that disbars you from stuff like credits, travel etc based on your political views
3. China using violence to sqash people who don't like autocratic leadership.

That is literally what Adolf Hitler would dream about.
Why must it be the government forcing celebrities to say nice things. Why can't they just be happy?
I see your bullet points and they didn't change my mind whatsoever. I still enjoy my time in China and would live there like many other foreign people do.

I still prefer new Zealand though at this point in my life. Hence haven't shifted.

The tone you phrase everything makes it sound like a bunch of poor oppressed people being marched to factories under gunpoint.

Why not just treat China as what it is instead of painting an image in people's minds that doesn't exist. Western media definitely influences people in this way.

If they weren't falsely painting that picture why are so many peoples reaction to any positivity that it's fake.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008

what are they demonstrating against?

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
You got me thats exactly what I wrote.

I'm saying that because Muslims are openly displaying their beliefs in places I have visited in China that media reports of them being forced to stop their beliefs and eat pork are clearly(to me) a load of bullshit. Nothing about anything else.

The world isn't black and white.
Its OK to vote trump and not be racist. One doesn't automatically mean the other.

Once you water down reality with to much fake news it's hard to tell what's real nymore. I think long term you do yourself a disservice.

Plus you have to look at the funny side of life. Like aussie ministers complaining about visas then having to go back on it when China made a rare public announcement not true.

China's tactics aren't what they were in the past. Western fear the unknown and their own imaginations. How can you defeat or predict an enemy you refuse to get to understand.

Why must it be the government forcing celebrities to say nice things. Why can't they just be happy?
I see your bullet points and they didn't change my mind whatsoever. I still enjoy my time in China and would live there like many other foreign people do.
I still prefer new Zealand though at this point in my life. Hence haven't shifted.
The tone you phrase everything makes it sound like a bunch of poor oppressed people being marched to factories under gunpoint.
Why not just treat China as what it is instead of painting an image in people's minds that doesn't exist. Western media definitely influences people in this way.
If they weren't falsely painting that picture why are so many peoples reaction to any positivity that it's fake.
You like it because nothing so far touched your baseline.

Here is more personal case. I was reading Chinese novel Tales of Reincarnated Lord. Novel itself is quality of Game of Thrones if not better. At start of this year Chinese officials cracked on such novels and completely limited what those writers can write. So no stuff about religion, no stuff about goverment criticism, no stuff about sexual relationship other than kissing.

Author had to cut novel. His work mostly erased from web as new censors scourged Quidian.

So fantasy novel which had nothing to do with politics of china was shot dead and author put into serious financial issues because of this shitty government.
And i and many other lost a fucking great book to read. AND Chinese novels have got their legs completely shot in time when they were going international and well known.

You are fine with it because you are not at receiving end of it. How chinese of you.

Your beloved Chinese goverment does exactly the same as that shithead mao did. Destroying amazing chinese culture because it doesn't fit into "communist" regime think thank. Just like in soviet union people live in alternate reality when they have to play game in order to live.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
People who interact with China primarily for business or education reasons aren't getting an accurate picture.

A foreigner to the USA could likewise come to this country, travel to numerous states doing business, and never encounter the ails that are held against us by these same foreign cultures (police brutality, shootings, riots). This person might also come to the conclusion that the picture of the USA is highly skewed. After all, they have done business in the USA! They've travelled to the USA! Wouldn't they have seen these things if they were happening? I saw this same "logic" being used to handwave the situation in Venezuela: "oh I travelled there on business. It's not that bad. I even found a supermarket with tons of food. It is exaggerated for the sake of US propaganda".

Meanwhile, those who experience China outside of the commerce bubble are still being persecuted and kicked out.