• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Protests escalate in Hong Kong, violent clashes with police

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
Carrie Lam's announcement last week has been largely ignored by the "protesters".

They continue to target and destroy the transport system at the end of this week.

Last edited:

Dane

Jul 16, 2019
After all the shit they did, not suprising, and Lam didn't accept all of their requests, at this point they completely lost the faith on the system.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Carrie Lam's announcement last week has been largely ignored by the "protesters".

They continue to target and destroy the transport system at the end of this week.

The leaked tape probably didn't endear them toward believing anything she says.

Reactions: matt404au

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
Hong Kong is on fire:

Off duty policeman is harrassed at his wedding:

Confrontation with a driver:

Last edited:

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
"Protesters" are using tactics of handing out press vests in order to hide in crowds:

Fake press cards are among the items seized by police:

This kid obviously did not have any press training, trying to take a picture with the cap on.

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
According to a NYT reporter, rioters have moved to Hong Kong's downtown Central district this Sunday and have begun destroying the station there. They are also throwing bags of trash and hosing them down with water to make them harder to clean up.

Edit: this station is now on fire:

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Welp thats the end of that. The left just got their excuse to bury the HK protestors and side with the facist CCP. Pepe the frog wasn't enough but this will firmly push the protestors in WHYTE SUPREMACIST sexist, transphopic, racist, antisemetic, 2 scoop ice cream, orange skin camp.

What a gift for the left now they can support the totalitarian government without that tinge of guilt since its all part of the fight against Orange Man now.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
These people are 10 times more violent than Antifa. Whoever claims Antifa should be labeled a terrorist organization should also be up for these protestors labeled as terrorists. Ironically they are asking Trump for help instead.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
These people are 10 times more violent than Antifa. Whoever claims Antifa should be labeled a terrorist organization should also be up for these protestors labeled as terrorists. Ironically they are asking Trump for help instead.
Their country is being forcefully integrated into a dictatorship and they stood up against laws that would have them deported there. I have zero sympathy for Antifa, but it's not quite the same, and I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Their country is being forcefully integrated into a dictatorship and they stood up against laws that would have them deported there. I have zero sympathy for Antifa, but it's not quite the same, and I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.
It's all relative. The protestors in Hong Kong think their fight is righteous while many don't and the same with Antifa. They're both protesting their governments. Still their tactics are pretty similar but the Hong Kong protestors seem to be more violent than Antifa.

Reactions: Shad0w59

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
lol and you don't even get paid for spreading this kind of propaganda.
For the record, I'm in favor or protests as a general principle. I think any society should tolerate protesters as long as they don't go out of their way to harm and kill others. So I'm in favor of hong kong people protesting as well as antifa protesting. Where I see double standards is people supporting one and demonizing the other from each side because of their behavior when both behave so similar. Like I mentioned in this thread before, the perception of protesters from outside a country and inside are fairly different most of the time (I've seen that many times in my own country) and people that from the outside support protests in other countries are usually against protesters in their own country which is kind of ironic but speaks to how people love to see unrest and revolution from a vicarious position but not in their own backyard.

I also linked to this and the rhetoric and parties taking positions in favor and against the protesters in Hong Kong could pretty much be exchanged by antifa and their supporters and detractors inside the US and the parties taking sides will change little: government and conservatives against protesters while social organizations and celebrities in favor of protesters.

Reactions: Shad0w59

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
For the record, I'm in favor or protests as a general principle. I think any society should tolerate protesters as long as they don't go out of their way to harm and kill others. So I'm in favor of hong kong people protesting as well as antifa protesting. Where I see double standards is people supporting one and demonizing the other from each side because of their behavior when both behave so similar.
So you're simplifying the two situations down to very basic impressions and then drawing conclusions based on your simplifications, and then criticizing those who don't come to the same conclusions as you. Got it. These sort of meta-conversations about the supposed hypocrisy of a group are usually fruitless.

Like I mentioned in this thread before, the perception of protesters from outside a country and inside are fairly different most of the time (I've seen that many times in my own country) and people that from the outside support protests in other countries are usually against protesters in their own country which is kind of ironic but speaks to how people love to see unrest and revolution from a vicarious position but not in their own backyard.
You're ascribing motives that you couldn't possibly know and then basing your argument on those assumptions.

I also linked to this and the rhetoric and parties taking positions in favor and against the protesters in Hong Kong could pretty much be exchanged by antifa and their supporters and detractors inside the US and the parties taking sides will change little: government and conservatives against protesters while social organizations and celebrities in favor of protesters.

If you think the rhetoric of the protestors themselves -- and the rhetoric of the for/against groups -- are pretty much the same between Antifa and HK, then you're not paying attention (or a propagandist), falling into the very same criticism that people in other countries have a different perception than reality.

Arguing about the perceptions of outside observers is a dead-end conversation when you're making so many other unsubstantiated claims. How are the Hong Kong protestors "10 times more violent", and how is that not all "relative" (as you say in the very next post) considering the differences of location, size of protest, and most importantly political aims? We're comparing a string of protests from hundreds of thousands (if not millions) in a ~400 square mile city to a string of protests from a few hundred (maybe a few thousands) that appear in a few pockets across a 3.7 million square mile country.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
So you're simplifying the two situations down to very basic impressions and then drawing conclusions based on your simplifications,
No, it's actually a general observation that happens way too often. Like I said, I've seen the same behavior many times in my country and elsewhere. I'm just noticing the pattern.

are pretty much the same between Antifa and HK
Well not the same but really similar, at least in the article that I linked. You could substitute the hong kong protesters for antifa in that article and it will work pretty accurate to how the sides align in the US too.

We're comparing a string of protests from hundreds of thousands (if not millions)
Lol I showed earlier in this thread how those number are probably grossly exaggerated. There's no credible source that supports a number of millions.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
No, it's actually a general observation that happens way too often. Like I said, I've seen the same behavior many times in my country and elsewhere. I'm just noticing the pattern.

Well not the same but really similar, at least in the article that I linked. You could substitute the hong kong protesters for antifa in that article and it will work pretty accurate to how the sides align in the US too.

Lol I showed earlier in this thread how those number are probably grossly exaggerated. There's no credible source that supports a number of millions.
The millions are a disputed number, I'll grant you that, but it does not undermine my point: these protests are contained within one city. Even if you compare HK to Antifa Central (a.k.a Portland, OR) there aren't a whole lot of similarities other than mob violence.

Besides, you are guilty of your own observation:

the perception of protesters from outside a country and inside are fairly different most of the time (I've seen that many times in my own country) and people that from the outside support protests in other countries are usually against protesters in their own country which is kind of ironic but speaks to how people love to see unrest and revolution from a vicarious position but not in their own backyard.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you...

...living and/or a native of Latin America? Therefore, not a native of either country being discussed.
...in favor of China keeping the USA "in balance" on the world scene? Therefore, predisposed toward the government cracking down on HK.
...against the West's interventions abroad? Therefore, predisposed against Hong Kong and their desire for Western-style freedoms.

I'd say you are cheering from "a vicarious position" yourself. Heck, you're not even making an argument about the protests themselves but rather are stirring up (fruitless) disagreement about how those who cheer the HK protestors yet deride Antifa are contradicting themselves.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
The millions are a disputed number, I'll grant you that, but it does not undermine my point: these protests are contained within one city. Even if you compare HK to Antifa Central (a.k.a Portland, OR) there aren't a whole lot of similarities other than mob violence.
Well I would have to see the percentages of protesters vs whole population. But still my initial point was precisely about the behavior you mention as "mob violence". Because Trump and others are calling to designate Antifa as a terrorist organization precisely because of their behavior and then it would logically follow that groups that behave similarly should also be considered terrorist groups. Right now, because of the images and videos we have seen, it seems the Hong Kong protesters behave more violent than Antifa.

...living and/or a native of Latin America? Therefore, not a native of either country being discussed.
Yeah but I'm not sure why this is relevant. Like I said, I've have seen the same pattern with supporting and condemning protesters everywhere, including my home country, my resident country that is now Germany and I see it also in instances like this. It is practically almost the same predictable for and against groups within and outside the country.

...in favor of China keeping the USA "in balance" on the world scene? Therefore, predisposed toward the government cracking down on HK.
I am in favor of a more diverse world power stage but that doesn't mean I support a government silencing protesters and dissent. Any respectable country should allow protesting and dissent. This BTW could be a way for each country to put pressure on each other, if the US and others makes an ethical condemnation of the Chinese government squashing dissent then that can make the Chinese government behave less authoritative (in fact this already happened since they stepped back on the extradition proposal) because, since they need more protagonism in the world stage, they need also to behave more in tune with human rights standards. The same I would expect other powers to condemn the US if they label an opposing group like Antifa as a terrorist organization.

...against the West's interventions abroad? Therefore, predisposed against Hong Kong and their desire for Western-style freedoms.
I'm against any country's interventions abroad and not, I'm not predisposed against that. I prefer each country should decide their own faith without foreign powers intervening and manipulating. Sadly, that's not the world we live in and, sadly, the US is one of the biggest offenders here but of course not the only one.

I'd say you are cheering from "a vicarious position" yourself. Heck, you're not even making an argument about the protests themselves but rather are stirring up (fruitless) disagreement about how those who cheer the HK protestors yet deride Antifa are contradicting themselves.
Like I said, I just notice the pattern which for me is fundamentally contradictory but explainable. But yes, of course my position is vicarious in this case but the pattern not so much since I have noticed it where I live too several times. Also the vicarious part is not a criticism, is just part of the observation of how these things usually roll.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
At the heart of it, crowbrow crowbrow you think there's a contradiction if someone supports the HK protestors yet condemns Antifa. I don't see it that way at all, obviously, and I'm wondering how you come to that conclusion. The plain facts of the situation would seem to disprove what you are implying. You are trying to shoehorn this situation into a false comparison and additionally you condemn the "hypocrisy". You're more concerned about "what Trump and others" say instead of looking at what the protests are about.

When you say "Where I see double standards is people supporting one and demonizing the other from each side because of their behavior when both behave so similar", you are implying that people who support one and demonize the other are somehow following conflicting beliefs, which you go on to explain is because people like to approve of protests in other countries as a "vicarious" (selfish) experience.

This is quite a tall assumption on your part, and it is something you've not even lifted a finger to demonstrate.

I think the simpler, more obvious conclusion is that these are two different situations with two different groups in two different countries. It is only natural that a given person might support one and condemn the other. It is also natural that a person might condemn both or support both. Remarkably, there is a range of opinions that exists on this topic.

Here are some more differences I see between the two groups, other than the obvious stuff that I've already pointed out like location, concentration of protest, number of members, message, etc

Where are Antifa's five demands? One might almost come to the conclusion that Antifa is a generic "anti Fascism" gang that goes around looking for fascists wherever they might be found. Antifa is usualy protesting other US citizens, not the government. In fact, Antifa enjoys the protection and support of the government in some American cities (see: Portland, OR).

The Hong Kong protesters (are they even a unified group?) aren't roaming the streets with the support of their law enforcement. The HK protesters aren't enjoying the protection of city hall, and they are definitely protesting against the government (unlike Antifa).

Your views on the situation are simplistic, and therefore you see "contradiction" based on the most superficial of similarities. When you dig deeper, you see how different the situations are, and therefore supporting one and condemning the other is a perfectly rational standpoint to take.

When poisoning the well with a dose of "both sides", try to use more discrete toxin next time.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
you think there's a contradiction if someone supports the HK protestors yet condemns Antifa.
If the condemnation comes from their tactics definitely since both are behaving with similar tactics and the basis to propose putting antifa on terrorism lists is based on their tactics. So yeah I think there's hypocrisy there.

You're more concerned about "what Trump and others" say instead of looking at what the protests are about.
Because my argument has nothing to do with the reasons for the protests themselves but mostly for the tactics the protesters use (the violent ones mainly) and the groups that support and condemn the protests in both instances which are pretty similar within both territories. About the issues themselves, I also mentioned how I support protesting out of principle, so I would support people protesting even if I don't agree with their viewpoints or issues, people should have a way to show dissent against any government through protesting.

which you go on to explain is because people like to approve of protests in other countries as a "vicarious" (selfish) experience.
I don't think people do it consciously but there's definitely a pattern there.

I think the simpler, more obvious conclusion is that these are two different situations with two different groups in two different countries.
Yeah but the same with the other instances I've mentioned where this pattern emerges. They are always different reasons of course but the pattern is there: inside the country social organizations and left-leaning celebrities or public figures (most of them usually) support the protesters against government oppression while conservative and government voices go against the protesters. When this pattern happens so often even when reasons for the protests are varied then I have to wonder.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Hearing reports police have shot a 16 year old protestor in the chest at point blank range. Saw a still picture of it, details not confirmed. On my way out so if someone else can dig it up and post more info...

• Triggered
Reactions: A Regular Guy

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Hearing reports police have shot a 16 year old protestor in the chest at point blank range. Saw a still picture of it, details not confirmed. On my way out so if someone else can dig it up and post more info...

The cop may have technically been justified, but I think the cops there also deserve to be beaten with metal pipes.

Its kind of like the Boston Massacre. Sure, the solders probably were justified at firing into the crowd of rioters pelting them with stones and sticks and clubs, but it just made the anti-British sentiment worse in the long run.

Davey

Jan 30, 2014
Venezuela
For the record, I'm in favor or protests as a general principle. I think any society should tolerate protesters as long as they don't go out of their way to harm and kill others. So I'm in favor of hong kong people protesting as well as antifa protesting. Where I see double standards is people supporting one and demonizing the other from each side because of their behavior when both behave so similar. Like I mentioned in this thread before, the perception of protesters from outside a country and inside are fairly different most of the time (I've seen that many times in my own country) and people that from the outside support protests in other countries are usually against protesters in their own country which is kind of ironic but speaks to how people love to see unrest and revolution from a vicarious position but not in their own backyard.

Who told you that people fighting, literally, for their lives are being rational?

You cannot think properly in a moment like that, I've been the one calling for not destroying stuff so guards don't have an excuse to shoot at us and then there's always people driven by desperation, fear, frustration, etc.

This is something one cannot judge with a "politeness" lens.

I tell you this because it's the same thing people say when protesters get violent, as if they don't have to deal with the protest reason, the international community call of not getting violent, time passing with no one acting in their favor.

Heck, these "Trump" supporters are there because one of these:

1. Infiltrated "protesters".

2. They didn't have any support from the UN last week and are looking for whatever saves them because they are literally desperated.

Don't believe in the "ideal" of what a protest could be. There's no ideal, people get angry, people get violent, people get stupid, or people get more connected each other and can work in a peaceful way they wouldn't otherwise. Too many things can happen and at any given time.

Maybe if the UN had showed some support they would be acting in a more proper manner due to having some hope?

We don't know, but judging by "they should NEVER EVER get violent" after all this time passed and no support from outside is presented is being even more irrational, tbqh

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Who told you that people fighting, literally, for their lives are being rational?

You cannot think properly in a moment like that, I've been the one calling for not destroying stuff so guards don't have an excuse to shoot at us and then there's always people driven by desperation, fear, frustration, etc.

This is something one cannot judge with a "politeness" lens.

I tell you this because it's the same thing people say when protesters get violent, as if they don't have to deal with the protest reason, the international community call of not getting violent, time passing with no one acting in their favor.

Heck, these "Trump" supporters are there because one of these:

1. Infiltrated "protesters".

2. They didn't have any support from the UN last week and are looking for whatever saves them because they are literally desperated.

Don't believe in the "ideal" of what a protest could be. There's no ideal, people get angry, people get violent, people get stupid, or people get more connected each other and can work in a peaceful way they wouldn't otherwise. Too many things can happen and at any given time.

Maybe if the UN had showed some support they would be acting in a more proper manner due to having some hope?

We don't know, but judging by "they should NEVER EVER get violent" after all this time passed and no support from outside is presented is being even more irrational, tbqh
Ok, but I don't know why you are saying this since I never said protesters have to be rational. I just said I'm in favor of protests in any country as a general principle. But if Antifa or HK protesters are so desperate that they harass old people maybe it is time to examine their behavior. How much violence is justified? Are terrorist groups justified because they are desperate? The vast majority in those two groups are not out there harassing old people I'm sure though.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada

I don't know what is more incredible - the claim or the name of the person on radio :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That name confused the piss out of me. I thought it was talking about some type of fanny law and considering the topic of the article...

Last edited:

Davey

Jan 30, 2014
Venezuela
Ok, but I don't know why you are saying this since I never said protesters have to be rational. I just said I'm in favor of protests in any country as a general principle. But if Antifa or HK protesters are so desperate that they harass old people maybe it is time to examine their behavior. How much violence is justified? Are terrorist groups justified because they are desperate? The vast majority in those two groups are not out there harassing old people I'm sure though.
I get it, but context matters a lot. Not justifying just explaining that for them it's different than for us.

I don't like protesters destroying public property, but can at least understand the stupidity because they need to drain (and that's what chinesse regime are playing to, btw).

Antifa and HK protesters are nothing alike, Antifa is just... "fa" without "Anti", nothing else they're deserving to be said, if they as they look like in YouTube...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
I get it, but context matters a lot. Not justifying just explaining that for them it's different than for us.
Well but for all these groups is always different than for us. I am not in the HK protesters shoes, I'm not in Antifa shoes, I'm not in a terrorist shoes to understand exactly what led them to where they are or to what they are doing exactly because I don't live in their contexts. I could try to understand their motives for using some level of violence but I don't necessarily have to agree with them, that won't stop me or should stop anyone from criticizing excessive violence coming from these groups.

Davey

Jan 30, 2014
Venezuela
Well but for all these groups is always different than for us. I am not in the HK protesters shoes, I'm not in Antifa shoes, I'm not in a terrorist shoes to understand exactly what led them to where they are or to what they are doing exactly because I don't live in their contexts. I could try to understand their motives for using some level of violence but I don't necessarily have to agree with them, that won't stop me or should stop anyone from criticizing excessive violence coming from these groups.
Well, as I've said here in GAF, I've actually been (unfortunately) in that context and it's not easy at all, many will try to get violent, many will try to get them all calmed, most of the time probably the rational ones will be successful but there's always a time where emotions can't be contained anymore because the protest has lasted too long.

The problem here is, as I said, while they don't see some kind of support for their cause, their protest will be more and more emotionally driven and catharsis drain, because if they just stop, they're all fucked.

Why wasn't this an important subject in the UN?

This is what we should really ask since a proper answer to their problem would have, without any doubt, prevented more violence on protesters side.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Well, as I've said here in GAF, I've actually been (unfortunately) in that context and it's not easy at all, many will try to get violent, many will try to get them all calmed, most of the time probably the rational ones will be successful but there's always a time where emotions can't be contained anymore because the protest has lasted too long.

The problem here is, as I said, while they don't see some kind of support for their cause, their protest will be more and more emotionally driven and catharsis drain, because if they just stop, they're all fucked.

Why wasn't this an important subject in the UN?

This is what we should really ask since a proper answer to their problem would have, without any doubt, prevented more violence on protesters side.
The UN is far from perfect. There are always so many conflicts around the world going on where the people feel abandoned and desperate. In fact that's one of the contexts that helps terrorists recruit people for example, it's easy for a desperate person to agree to blow themselves in the middle of a market so they thrive from social unrest that creates desperation and throws people over the edge!

Davey

Jan 30, 2014
Venezuela
The UN is far from perfect. There are always so many conflicts around the world going on where the people feel abandoned and desperate. In fact that's one of the contexts that helps terrorists recruit people for example, it's easy for a desperate person to agree to blow themselves in the middle of a market so they thrive from social unrest that creates desperation and throws people over the edge!
I know that, here in Colombia the guerrilla (FARC and ELN) are recruiting young venezuelans that lost any hope and are wandering in the streets asking for money (for food or drugs, nvm).

And these are actual international issues that had to be attended there. BTW, not moving goal post. I'll leave it here. Hope the best for Hong Kong people, I'm gonna rant on twitter or whatever.

Reactions: crowbrow

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
It's genius of the US to leverage the genuine internal issue to weaken China by accelerating the protests and helping the protesters with organisation. Shame it's escalated the violence but still if you don't interfere in other countries' internal issues to push your geopolitical goals then you'll be left at the mercy of those that do the same in your country. I mean look at Soros/Israel funded groups pushing immigration in Europe. And China are pushing plenty of that fentanyl shit so they're not exactly innocent.

Not sure what the end game is for HK though other than scorched earth. Can't imagine China are going to tolerate much more interference - and worse still they can just say it's being orchestrated by the US (which they have been, and which is true) and therefore diminish the genuine issue, just like the US can blame China for the drug issue with fentanyl when really it's much more of a wider issue.

I'd like to live in a world where all countries respect each other's territory and don't seek to identify internal weaknesses and destroy them from within and I guess until we have far far stricter travel restrictions that is not going to happen. Maybe climate change agenda can be used to massively reduce international travel and the internet can be balkanised with national firewalls to increase border security.

/takes tongue out of cheek.

gimz

Nov 20, 2005
one of the live feed of what's happening in Hong Kong right now, after the Hong Kong government announced the anti-mask law during protest or public event effective in 3 hours.

Mar 28, 2017
Sheffield, UK
mixer.com
Antifa oppresses you for exercising your birth given rights for freedom. The HK protesters are oppressing their government to exercise their birth given rights for freedom.

Antifa, Chinese government? Seeing a pattern here?

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
This plague - the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
Antifa oppresses you for exercising your birth given rights for freedom. The HK protesters are oppressing their government to exercise their birth given rights for freedom.

Antifa, Chinese government? Seeing a pattern here?
No one affected by the bill was being oppressed, look at the list of serious crimes you had to commit to be deported. It was basically for charged pedos and murderers who had 3+ year sentences.

Furthermore, the bill was formally withdrawn so what are these rioters doing?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
No one affected by the bill was being oppressed, look at the list of serious crimes you had to commit to be deported. It was basically for charged pedos and murderers who had 3+ year sentences.

The withdrawal of the bill was one of five demands.

• Complete withdrawal of the extradition bill from the legislative process: Although Chief Executive announced indefinite suspension of the bill on 15 June, reading on it may be quickly resumed. The bill was "pending resumption of second reading" in the Legislative Council. On 4 September, Carrie Lam announced that the formal withdrawal of the bill will be processed by Secretary for Security John Lee in the Legislative Council later.
  • Retraction of the "riot" characterisation: The government originally characterised the 12 June protest as "riots". Later the description was amended to say there were "some" protesters who rioted. However, protesters contest the existence of acts of rioting during the 12 June protest.
  • Release and exoneration of arrested protesters: Protesters consider the arrests to be politically motivated; they also question the legitimacy of police arresting protesters at hospitals through access to their confidential medical data in breach of patient privacy.
  • Establishment of an independent commission of inquiry into police conduct and use of force during the protests: Civic groups felt that the level of violence used by the police on 12 June, specifically those against protesters who were not committing any offences when they were set upon, was unjustified; police performing stop-and-search to numerous passers-by near the protest site without probable cause was also considered abusive.[63] Some officers' failure to display or show their police identification number or warrant card despite being required to do so by the Police General Orders is seen to be a breakdown of accountability.[64] The existing watchdog lacks independence, and its functioning relies on police co-operation.
  • Resignation of Carrie Lam and the implementation of universal suffrage for Legislative Council and Chief Executive elections[65]: Currently, the Chief Executive is selected by a 1,200-member Election Committee, and 30 of the 70 Legislative Council seats are filled by limited electorates that represent different sectors of the economy, forming the majority of the so-called functional constituencies.

lyan

May 21, 2017

5 demands as mentioned by evilore.

In the past they have just kidnapped people they want directly, claim you killed someone a decade ago in their soil and the HK won't, nor they can, do anything. With how things work there "serious crimes" don't mean shit. Though In this regard the bill itself also doesn't matter, which to begin with, was probably some dumb idea from the Carrie Lam government to please the PRC with.

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
Carrie Lam withdrew the bill to open a dialogue on the other “demands” and they basically spat in her face. There was no attempt at armistice.

If you support this, then you support terrorism in my eyes:

Enjoy your free iPhones:

Disagree?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Hayfield