• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Protests escalate in Hong Kong, violent clashes with police

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Ok now people can't tell me this is going way beyond Antifa level. Burning down stations and trying to derail trains?? Wtf
The issue is not going beyond 'Antifa level'. You seen to try to slyly defend Antifa on a regular basis by conflating and misrepresenting action and motive.

At the Boston Tea Party they dumped 342 chests of Tea into the Ocean as a sign of protest. They were even disguised and masked! In fact, later, the American Revolutionaries actually killed people!

The difference, of course, is that their movement was against the foreign, imperial authoritarian force of China England.

Antifa, on the other hand, is the side preaching authoritarianism and calling people calling for liberty fascists. Antifa are not the good guys, they are not fighting for freedom, and they are literally attacking innocent people [not government] on a regular basis.

If Antifa was resisting the authoritarian regime of China I'd support them too. But no, Antifa are the ones flying the flags of communism and supporting authoritarianism, burning 'free speech' signs, and trying to shut down opponents from talking. They are the bad guys.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
they are literally attacking innocent people
I didnt call Antifa the good guys but trying to derail a train seems to me as attacking innocent people. What if they succeed and an accident happens. Also burning down stations could pretty much harm innocent people...

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
I wonder how MrTickles' HK police training is going? Well, at least we still have Shad0w59 fighting the good fight.
People need to know what these terrorists are doing to Hong Kong. This is not freedom fighting.

Enjoy your free coffee:

Last edited:
Reactions: RSB and Tygeezy

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Have there ever been a revolution consisting of randos destroying property that succeded?

Because every successful revolution or fight for independence that I can think of consisted of organized groups that had plans.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Have there ever been a revolution consisting of randos destroying property that succeded?

Because every successful revolution or fight for independence that I can think of consisted of organized groups that had plans.
Well, to be fair, the US revolution started out with a bunch of randos destroying property, then they organized.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
It's a high speed train that goes directly to China.

I support the protests but at this point I also wonder what all these random attacks towards anything China related is going to accomplish. Seems kind of futile. China is not going to give HK democracy even if you burn the whole city down. Seems like a much more productive thing to do is to just protest against Carrie Lam and the HK govt.

lyan

May 21, 2017
It's a high speed train that goes directly to China.

I support the protests but at this point I also wonder what all these random attacks towards anything China related is going to accomplish. Seems kind of futile. China is not going to give HK democracy even if you burn the whole city down. Seems like a much more productive thing to do is to just protest against Carrie Lam and the HK govt.
well the people there have been doing peaceful protests throughout the past 10+years for voting rights and there has been nothing but regress in general. The HK govt can't decide by themselves and China ain't gonna yield.

Reactions: Hayfield and pramod

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Its getting out of hand and seems to have move past its original goals, but this is also a message to China whats coming as we approach 2047.

Thats the main event. At that point this one country two systems deal is over and HK becomes China. So HKers are showing China that its not going to go down smoothly.

Problem is unless HKers demand independence and to become their own country there is nothing they can do. And we see how well independence goes over in China.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Well the original "hope" was that China would gradually democratize and become more "free", ie more like Hong Kong, as 2047 approaches...but right now looks like the opposite is happening. Thus the HKers are starting to panic. I feel bad for them but at this point maybe the best thing is to move somewhere else.

Reactions: cryptoadam
Oct 26, 2018
Well the original "hope" was that China would gradually democratize and become more "free", ie more like Hong Kong, as 2047 approaches...but right now looks like the opposite is happening. Thus the HKers are starting to panic. I feel bad for them but at this point maybe the best thing is to move somewhere else.
Personally, I think all these HK people are overreacting.

If China was clamping down on communist policies in every corner of China trying to control everything and keep wages down, it wouldn't be where it is now with tons of industry, lots of people with great jobs, and big time companies.

That goes for business policies.

Now for prison, punishment, and being a jackass kind of policies, HK people should be scared shitless. A guy committing a crime in HK might get a western influenced kind of sentence.

But if China reforms punishment like mainland, you can kiss that prisoner goodbye. Probably never see him again.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Personally, I think all these HK people are overreacting.

If China was clamping down on communist policies in every corner of China trying to control everything and keep wages down, it wouldn't be where it is now with tons of industry, lots of people with great jobs, and big time companies.

That goes for business policies.

Now for prison, punishment, and being a jackass kind of policies, HK people should be scared shitless. A guy committing a crime in HK might get a western influenced kind of sentence.

But if China reforms punishment like mainland, you can kiss that prisoner goodbye. Probably never see him again.
Well yeah that and also the fact that all media including internet will be completely state controlled. I would not want to live in such a place for that reason alone.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
U know i hear people complaining why doesnt Trump say something to support the HK protesters.

He doesnt have to. He is already speaking loudly thru the trade war and standing up to China. In fact i would argue his trade war is what inspired the protests. I mean after 70 yrs someone finally stands up to the communist regime....people saw that and got the courage to do rise up.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Knch

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
Language in the mainstream western media is changing to get you hooked on that sweet news cycle.

Notice how “protesters” has become “rioters”:

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Language in the mainstream western media is changing to get you hooked on that sweet news cycle.

How many renminbi are you paid per post? 3 kwai?

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018

that old lady, when reality of the real world clashes with the internet hipsters.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
Not sure if this was posted yet but Blizzard banned and took away the earnings of a Hearthstone player for supporting the HK protests (as well as two casters)

People are trying to make Overwatch's Mei be a symbol of the protest in an attempt to get Overwatch banned in China, since China likes banning stuff they don't agree with.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Not sure if this was posted yet but Blizzard banned and took away the earnings of a Hearthstone player for supporting the HK protests (as well as two casters)

People are trying to make Overwatch's Mei be a symbol of the protest in an attempt to get Overwatch banned in China, since China likes banning stuff they don't agree with.
That's great. haha.

Last edited:

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Just make a deal with the US. Take all the leftists that support communism and move them to Hong Kong and bring these people to the US. Everyone wins.
This plan is for sure somewhere in a White House filing cabinet, written in crayon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009

Also Tim Cook during 2019 Standford Commencement Speech

https://www.businessinsider.com/tim-cook-stonewall-inn-riots-stanford-commencement-speech-2019-6
"When the door was busted open by police, it was not the knock of opportunity or the call of destiny," he said. "It was just another instance of the world telling them that they ought to feel worthless for being different. But the group gathered there felt something strengthen in them, a conviction that they deserved something better than the shadows and better than oblivion. And if it wasn't going to be given then they were going to have to build it themselves."
Only be woke when it is convenient!

Also Tim Cook

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Also Tim Cook during 2019 Standford Commencement Speech

https://www.businessinsider.com/tim-cook-stonewall-inn-riots-stanford-commencement-speech-2019-6

Only be woke when it is convenient!

Also Tim Cook

Corporate cowardice.

And it's especially amusing to see it most from those who've used feel-good branding and charity and woke buzzwords to prop their corporation up as some force of good in the world.

We are talking about the company involved with the Foxconn suicides.

I think it's high time we stopped giving companies our money just because they say nice things about our skincolor or our biases. This is the eventual result and I don't like it.

-Arcadia-

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2019
Corporate cowardice.

And it's especially amusing to see it most from those who've used feel-good branding and charity and woke buzzwords to prop their corporation up as some force of good in the world.

I think it's high time we stopped giving companies our money just because they say nice things about our skincolor or our biases. This is the eventual result and I don't like it.
Red pills being handed out like suppositories for people who thought corporations were good, their friend, and on their side.

It couldn’t be more obvious that they’ll virtue signal when it’s easy, but the second it takes the tiniest bit of effort or sacrifice, they turn back into those cold corporate monoliths.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Corporate cowardice.

Are you suggesting a BDS movement pressuring companies to stop doing business with China? Could actually be effective.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Red pills being handed out like suppositories for people who thought corporations were good, their friend, and on their side.

It couldn’t be more obvious that they’ll virtue signal when it’s easy, but the second it takes the tiniest bit of effort or sacrifice, they turn back into those cold corporate monoliths.
Somehow we went from the "yeah greed is bad but it feels good to indulge" attitude in the 80s and 90s to full-blown "greed? That's not greed. You should feel good about being a consumer."

There will always be a market for making customers feel righteous after they part ways with money. It's just really funny to see it pop up in unusual places like a smartphone company.

Are you suggesting a BDS movement pressuring companies to stop doing business with China? Could actually be effective.
My impression is that such a thing is already in motion. I suppose we're talking about it right now, aren't we?

Choose your purchases accordingly.

Last edited:

Shad0w59

May 18, 2018
Middle school kids are being coerced to go to riots with alcohol and who knows what.

Won't someone think of the children!?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Miku Miku

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
My impression is that such a thing is already in motion. I suppose we're talking about it right now, aren't we?

I'm just surprised since I saw so many conservatives on here so opposed to any BDS movement against Israel, with a ton of detailed posts calling it racist, against local businesses in the region with nothing to do with the government, and even fine with the US passing laws to make BDS protests illegal in the United States.

Personally, I think they're fine, effective, peaceful, and should never be made illegal. It's people's right to choose where to spend their money, and use their free speech to organize it.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Somehow we went from the "yeah greed is bad but it feels good to indulge" attitude in the 80s and 90s to full-blown "greed? That's not greed. You should feel good about being a consumer."

There will always be a market for making customers feel righteous after they part ways with money. It's just really funny to see it pop up in unusual places like a smartphone company.

P.S. I ordered this a week or so ago when you recommended it. Found it for like $2 on Amazon!

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Eh, idk. Giving up Hong Kong is not something that is on the table. China will never allow Hong Kong to become it's own independent nation.

The only economic pressure that would even have a chance of working is official U.S sanctions which just is not going to happen.

finowns

May 10, 2009
Redbull has come out in support of Hong Kong

This could get a bit spicy since part 4 of the F1 Grand Prix next year is in Shangai. Are they going to ban a whole team (Red Bull Racing-Honda) from competing?
That's actually really good. Red Bull gives you wings commercial were everywhere back in the day.

Reactions: pramod

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I'm just surprised since I saw so many conservatives on here so opposed to any BDS movement against Israel, with a ton of detailed posts calling it racist, against local businesses in the region with nothing to do with the government, and even fine with the US passing laws to make BDS protests illegal in the United States.

Personally, I think they're fine, effective, peaceful, and should never be made illegal. It's people's right to choose where to spend their money, and use their free speech to organize it.
The opposition to BDS is in regards to government spending, not individuals. The government of the US or various states don't want to do business with a movement they find antisemetic. Its as if the KKK wanted to boycott Nigeria because its full of blacks and Texas decided to not give funding to anyone who joined that boycott.

Trump is in a way doing a "BDS" with his trade war and tarriffs. He even called for chinese companies to be delisted from the stock exchange(went nowhere). Individually if people decided to not buy Iphones because of foxconn or whatever thats their personal decision. The US government could also reverse Billy's EO and put the hurting back onto China in regards to trade.

Now the irony would actually be that those who support BDS of Israel are all China apologists. Go look at the letter signed by a bunch of countries saying what China is doing to its Uigher population is just for security reasons and the UN should keep its nose out. You had luminaries like Saudi and State of Palestine on there. 1 Million muslims being interned and their culture erased don't care. Jews moving to JUDEA the ancient Jewish homeland, BDS BDS BDS.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Wow, mad respect for Red Bull. Losing the China market is going to be a huge blow for them though.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
Kidnapped, likely sexually assaulted, "accidentally" killed and then thrown in the ocean by the police.

Cantonese news link below to other teenage girls getting harassed by the police.