• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ProTips for Life - Things everyone should know.

jadedm17

Does anyone have any genuine tips for life everyone should know?

I'll start :
Recently I need a social security card or birth certificate for a new job - The social said up to 10 days so to help my mom ordered a birth certificate on rush order from me. Sadly her first website was a scam. (Protip 1 : Watch for (AD) next to Google searches.) After paying $100 for a rush order and realizing her mistake days later she then had to spend hours on the phone to be denied a refund. My advice?

Protip 2 : Gas and groceries are cash, everything else is CREDIT.
If you can utilize credit wisely and pay off your balance then you'll only have positives.
My Chase I've used for over 15 years and any issue I've had has been corrected within a 20 minute call. Game code didnt work? Refunded. Card duplicated and $500 stolen? Refunded. After this ordeal I realized I didnt pass on to my 67 yo mother information that would have saved her hours on the phone and $100 to a nonsense website. I know I'd have had that money right away.

(I also used this when I paid $300 to a Kickstarter as insurance, as again I'm sure to keep my happy they'd just refund me then deal with the issue themselves. Thankfully my Kickstarter I backed did get made.)

I'm found as a general rule that getting credit refunded is infinitely easier than cash.

Does anyone else have similar information to just help lead a better, easier life?

My social arrived exactly 10 days later, a full day before she finally got a real birth certificate, and barely in time to stop annoying my new boss. lol

Last edited:
What about at the urinal where there is no toilet paper
the stalls should have toilet paper, at least in america

i don't know how they do it down in austria, but we have toilet paper in the stalls

and we also have napkin dispensers right next to our state of the art blow driers

nush

Gold Member
after you pee dab your piss hole with toilet paper once then wait a few seconds then dab it again

if you don't do this that fucking last drop will kamakaze your fucken leg

The other faster more effective way is after finishing peeing push the underside of your dick between your asshole and balls, gets all the excess out. Just don't do it if there's someone next to you at a urinal or you'll look like your being a wierdo.

Papa

Banned
the stalls should have toilet paper, at least in america

i don't know how they do it down in austria, but we have toilet paper in the stalls

and we also have napkin dispensers right next to our state of the art blow driers

Yeah but who’s gonna walk from the urinal to the stall to grab some dick paper

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
after you pee dab your piss hole with toilet paper once then wait a few seconds then dab it again

if you don't do this that fucking last drop will kamakaze your fucken leg
what kind of gigantic soda bottle dong do you have where it holds so much piss that it keeps enough to run down your leg after a pee

highrider

Banned
Unless you want to have a family, don’t get married or enter long term relationships. Learn state laws on cohabitating. I know it’s kind of grim, but I find myself watching a lot of train wrecks lately. And I do understand the appeal of pair bonding, I’ve done it as well, but just trust your old boy on this one.

jadedm17

Unless you want to have a family, don’t get married or enter long term relationships. Learn state laws on cohabitating. I know it’s kind of grim, but I find myself watching a lot of train wrecks lately. And I do understand the appeal of pair bonding, I’ve done it as well, but just trust your old boy on this one.

My roommates recently screwed me over, after many times stating "After all you've done I'd never screw you".
The balance here is what you give and what you get, an understanding of best and worse case scenarios.

I've been searching for a serious relationship for years but I also understand the sacrifice, commitment and work that goes into it.

"Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy." - Scrubs

Don't use Air Fresheners. Ever.

They are poisonous and contain VOC's like acetone, ethanol, and formaldehyde.

I didn't know that, thanks.

Protip : Google everything.
What snacks your dog can eat, what scents are poisonous.
I never thought about how those cute color bones at Walmart use acid to strip fur then bleach to remove color, then dangerous dyes to add cute green and red color. It's all garbage.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Before you order anything online, always google coupons for whatever place you’re buying. Very good chance you might get a coupon for free shipping of even like 20% off your order just by doing a quick google,

Lower toilets to the floor help you with bowel movements as your colorectal canal is more naturally aligned for stool to pass through. 15” is typically the low standard, always buy em low if you want a new toilet, even if you’re tall.

Don’t dig out the corners when you cut your toenails, you are supposed to cut straight across, or they could grow back incorrectly and give you ingrown toenails which are incredibly painful. Plus it’s kinda dainty to do too especially for dudes. No one cares how your toenails look guys, unless they are really long and gross, just cut them normally.

Wearing sandals and flip flops and walking around barefooted is bad for your back. Doing it a lot could cause back pain.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I was just thinking about making a thread like this yesterday, to share my mustard application method for burgers.

Generally with squeeze bottles of mustard, it's tough to get an even distribution, as the first squirt usually releases way more than you want. What I do is get a napkin, and hold it near my burger, then I squirt the mustard onto the napkin, and while maintaining the squeeze, transfer the bottle over to my burger and apply the amount I want. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I was just thinking about making a thread like this yesterday, to share my mustard application method for burgers.

Generally with squeeze bottles of mustard, it's tough to get an even distribution, as the first squirt usually releases way more than you want. What I do is get a napkin, and hold it near my burger, then I squirt the mustard onto the napkin, and while maintaining the squeeze, transfer the bottle over to my burger and apply the amount I want. Works like a charm.
That's some next level mustard application. I salute you.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Websites like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Gamestop all have algorithms where if you do certain things (like return too many items in a given month or say a year or ask for exchanges or refund) will get you blacklisted and banned, and they may even blacklist your shipping address to prevent you from making another account since you're "a liability" to them. Don't take those retailers for granted and go hog wild with returns and stuff.

There's a specific and easy way to cut most fruits to get the most out of them. Youtube it if you ever hate cutting or preparing fruits.

If you have a home, always know where the main shutoff valve is for the water in case a pipe blows and you aren't helpless while your home is being hopelessly flooded and getting thousands of dollars of damage by the minute. Believe it or not a lot of people don't even know where theirs is.

Washing off raw chicken before you cook it is actually more dangerous than not. It splashes bacteria around. The heat from cooking it will kill off all the bacteria just fine.

Toilet wipes are a billion times better than toilet paper, I don't care what toilet paper you use. Once you switch to that damp aloe-coated goodness, you'll never use toilet paper ever again. You feel so much cleaner every time.

Last edited:

chemspida

Banned
Since I'm new and I can't make threads, I'll ask here.

So basically I come from a very working-class family where me and my brothers are the first to go to university. We went through financial troubles during my formative years that really set me back and has left me with trauma. My mum took out her anger on me and my dad was not totally there to support us emotionally. Now I see many of my friends who had 'normal' upbringings doing fine in life. They have absolutely nothing going for them but because they didn't have the same issues as me yet everything seems to just come for them.

I am thankful everyday for what I do since compared the the vast majority of the people on Earth and history, I am living like a king. But at times my bitterness can take over and I find it difficult to get on with my life. Can someone give me some advice to help me get over it?

bitbydeath

So basically I come from a very working-class family where me and my brothers are the first to go to university. We went through financial troubles during my formative years that really set me back and has left me with trauma. My mum took out her anger on me and my dad was not totally there to support us emotionally. Now I see many of my friends who had 'normal' upbringings doing fine in life. They have absolutely nothing going for them but because they didn't have the same issues as me yet everything seems to just come for them.

I am thankful everyday for what I do since compared the the vast majority of the people on Earth and history, I am living like a king. But at times my bitterness can take over and I find it difficult to get on with my life. Can someone give me some advice to help me get over it?

I’m no professional but have you made peace with your mum? You’re bitterness may go away if you make up.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Toilet wipes are a billion times better than toilet paper, I don't care what toilet paper you use. Once you switch to that damp aloe-coated goodness, you'll never use toilet paper ever again. You feel so much cleaner every time.

They ruin your pipes. All you need to do is wipe dry until almost no poop, then wipe with wet toilet paper. You can use a spray bottle if you can’t reach the sink.

Papa

Banned

Mental health advice these days is tailored mostly to women (e.g. talking through feelings etc.) but is thrust upon men even though it’s not how we deal with these things. Ignore such advice that encourages you to wallow in feelings.

My advice is to find something that gives you purpose. Something that makes you want to wake up in the morning so you can keep doing it. For me, I’m an engineer and I love what I do. I don’t dread going to work because it’s not a chore — I design something, it gets excavated to my design, and I get to see the end result and say “I designed that”. I get paid well for it too which is a bonus. You say you’re going to uni but whether that is a good thing depends entirely on what you’re doing. Most subjects in the arts and humanities will put you deep in the debt hole and will give you a lifetime of financial stress likely while working a dead end job in an unrelated field. If you’re doing a novelty subject, you’re better off switching to something in STEM or health (if possible) or learning a trade. There is absolutely no shame in becoming an electrician or plumber. In fact, I’d be more proud of my kid if he learned a trade than if he got a participation degree. Uni is not the be all and end all, no matter what anyone says.

Family is the other big factor. As a man, you are hardwired to provide for others. This is where much of your motivation comes from. Find yourself a good woman and work towards building a future together. If you have a long term vision and can see how all the small things along the way fit in, it can provide a lot of motivation to keep going and push through the difficult times. I have known people who lived through severe trauma (one was repeatedly and violently gang raped at school over a period of three years) and the best way for them to deal with their trauma was by living for others. There is a great sense of satisfaction in being a provider.

Also the fact that you can recognise and appreciate how lucky you are to “live like a king” despite your own personal adversity will help you go a long way in life. Never stop being thankful for the good things in your life, no matter how many troubles come your way.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
They ruin your pipes. All you need to do is wipe dry until almost no poop, then wipe with wet toilet paper. You can use a spray bottle if you can’t reach the sink.
I’ve heard that from people but I came up with a solution that is TMI. I personally need to use them, regular toilet paper is bad for me.

Don't return items for someone else. (The items could have been stolen.)(And there is limits on how many things you can return a year.)

Always wash new clothes before wearing especially ladies undies. (I know this because I was friends with a security guard who told me about once a month he catches some weirdo making a mess in ladies undies in the dressing room when they go out they get arrested if the guards catch them.)

Don't take prescription drugs without someone nearby. (I almost died from one that I had been taking for months then out of the blue got hit with a side effect and luckly someone was nearby to help me delute it with water because I couldn't breathe at all had non stop white smoke coming out my nose and mouth until deluted the buring.)

Don't make fun of anyone ever. It could instantly turn into a fight.

If a fast food joint messes up your order I would suggest just eating it or throwing it away. (I had a friend who worked in fast food for many years with some stories about how people would spit in food or drop it on the floor on purpose and give that to them for making them do extra work. I don't think everywhere this happens but it just depends on the staff cooking.)

Don't let stranger's borrow anything from you unless you can live with them keeping it forever. (Almost always the word borrow means keep.)

Don't ever give out your credit card number on the phone especally if you didn't call them. (Scams are getting smarter they can get details about the kinds of accounts you have linked to your phone number so if they call you claiming to be company you deal with it's most likely a scam especially if they ask for any personal information like dates or your credit card number.)

Never give out your credit card number through an email or a letter. (This is scam that is common when trying to get a replacment ss card. They have fake sites that look very legitimate.)

Never give any money to someone you meet from an online dating site. (They are commonly taking advantage of lonely people with scams. No matter what they say if if you haven't meet them in person and they ask for money it's a scam.)

If your a trained fighter walk in the back of your group. And keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Don't ever login to an account on a VPN server unless your ok with anyone using the account because they are commonly stealing stuff from accounts. Your litterally using someone elses computer when your on a server like that so they can have any info you give them.

Last edited:

BigBooper

This is a hard thing to overcome, but you can do it with practice. You have to realize and accept that the bitterness you feel will do nothing to better your situation. Practice putting that out of your mind. Try not to focus on the past that you can't change and instead focus on what you can change, you.

Also, since you are young, but not dumb, don't just float through life. My greatest regret was that I didn't just pick a career path and stick with it in my early 20s. Like me, you probably can't afford to go to college to party and waste time. You can get a huge leg up if you stay focused.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Your parent qualify for social security supplement income at 65, so if they intended to transfer their properties to you, make sure you plan ahead and do it 3 years ahead. SSI have a 3 years look back on asset transfer.

If your parent owes a house, and they are in Medicaid that recoup asset after their passing. Make sure you help them put their properties in a trust. Even if they are not on Medicaid, just have a trust, it is worth the money.

Ask your lawyer to put a poison pill in the trust, so if the trustee ever have a divorce, his/her spouse won't get anything from the trust.

Fushitsusha

Banned
damn that's bleak, but understandable.

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

If you're baking a casserole or meat cutletts, put a layer of baking paper under the aluminium foil. It has a much rougher surface at the microscopic level than foil, and encourages steam to condense back into water. It will keep your casseroles much more moist, and will help keep your meat from drying out.

ammodotcom

Neo Member
Does anyone have any genuine tips for life everyone should know?

I'll start :
Recently I need a social security card or birth certificate for a new job - The social said up to 10 days so to help my mom ordered a birth certificate on rush order from me. Sadly her first website was a scam. (Protip 1 : Watch for (AD) next to Google searches.) After paying $100 for a rush order and realizing her mistake days later she then had to spend hours on the phone to be denied a refund. My advice?

Protip 2 : Gas and groceries are cash, everything else is CREDIT.
If you can utilize credit wisely and pay off your balance then you'll only have positives.
My Chase I've used for over 15 years and any issue I've had has been corrected within a 20 minute call. Game code didnt work? Refunded. Card duplicated and $500 stolen? Refunded. After this ordeal I realized I didnt pass on to my 67 yo mother information that would have saved her hours on the phone and $100 to a nonsense website. I know I'd have had that money right away.

(I also used this when I paid $300 to a Kickstarter as insurance, as again I'm sure to keep my happy they'd just refund me then deal with the issue themselves. Thankfully my Kickstarter I backed did get made.)

I'm found as a general rule that getting credit refunded is infinitely easier than cash.

Does anyone else have similar information to just help lead a better, easier life?

My social arrived exactly 10 days later, a full day before she finally got a real birth certificate, and barely in time to stop annoying my new boss. lol

Developing a low time preference is free and if used correctly it will be responsible for most of your best decisions.

45 years old geezer dropping some knowledge:

* If you take care of your friends you will never be alone . Women come and go, but good friends will stay.
* Have at least the amount of money you'd need to stay afloat for one year on your bank savings
* Don't get children before 35. Don't marry. If you really wanna get married, get a prenup.
* There is no "special one for you" or your "soulmate". Women have a completely different goal in relationships than we men have. And that doesn't make them "bad", they are just different. Don't become a misogynist when you realize this.
* get shredded.

Papa

Banned
45 years old geezer dropping some knowledge:

* If you take care of your friends you will never be alone . Women come and go, but good friends will stay.
* Have at least the amount of money you'd need to stay afloat for one year on your bank savings
* Don't get children before 35. Don't marry. If you really wanna get married, get a prenup.
* There is no "special one for you" or your "soulmate". Women have a completely different goal in relationships than we men have. And that doesn't make them "bad", they are just different. Don't become a misogynist when you realize this.
* get shredded.

Totally wrong on point 3 but otherwise not bad

buizel

Banned
Before you order anything online, always google coupons for whatever place you’re buying. Very good chance you might get a coupon for free shipping of even like 20% off your order just by doing a quick google,

Lower toilets to the floor help you with bowel movements as your colorectal canal is more naturally aligned for stool to pass through. 15” is typically the low standard, always buy em low if you want a new toilet, even if you’re tall.

Don’t dig out the corners when you cut your toenails, you are supposed to cut straight across, or they could grow back incorrectly and give you ingrown toenails which are incredibly painful. Plus it’s kinda dainty to do too especially for dudes. No one cares how your toenails look guys, unless they are really long and gross, just cut them normally.

Wearing sandals and flip flops and walking around barefooted is bad for your back. Doing it a lot could cause back pain.
Theres that voucher thing Honey that h3 is sponsored by. It automatically applied voucher codes to ANY online purchase so you get it cheaper :)

Top Bottom