• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ProTips for Life - Things everyone should know.

Dai Kaiju

Find God before He finds you. If you aren't sure, ask for a sign. Don't be an atheist edgelord like I was or you'll spend years wondering if God will forgive you.

There was a long period of time after finding God that life was horrible. I was wondering why at church (as I grew up being told God will always forgive you no matter what) and a scripture came up on the screen that said "Make no mistake. God is not mocked. Man reaps what he sews."

Things are going better now, thankfully.

chemspida

Banned
Mental health advice these days is tailored mostly to women (e.g. talking through feelings etc.) but is thrust upon men even though it’s not how we deal with these things. Ignore such advice that encourages you to wallow in feelings.

My advice is to find something that gives you purpose. Something that makes you want to wake up in the morning so you can keep doing it. For me, I’m an engineer and I love what I do. I don’t dread going to work because it’s not a chore — I design something, it gets excavated to my design, and I get to see the end result and say “I designed that”. I get paid well for it too which is a bonus. You say you’re going to uni but whether that is a good thing depends entirely on what you’re doing. Most subjects in the arts and humanities will put you deep in the debt hole and will give you a lifetime of financial stress likely while working a dead end job in an unrelated field. If you’re doing a novelty subject, you’re better off switching to something in STEM or health (if possible) or learning a trade. There is absolutely no shame in becoming an electrician or plumber. In fact, I’d be more proud of my kid if he learned a trade than if he got a participation degree. Uni is not the be all and end all, no matter what anyone says.

Family is the other big factor. As a man, you are hardwired to provide for others. This is where much of your motivation comes from. Find yourself a good woman and work towards building a future together. If you have a long term vision and can see how all the small things along the way fit in, it can provide a lot of motivation to keep going and push through the difficult times. I have known people who lived through severe trauma (one was repeatedly and violently gang raped at school over a period of three years) and the best way for them to deal with their trauma was by living for others. There is a great sense of satisfaction in being a provider.

Also the fact that you can recognise and appreciate how lucky you are to “live like a king” despite your own personal adversity will help you go a long way in life. Never stop being thankful for the good things in your life, no matter how many troubles come your way.
Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I wholeheartedly agree, much of the advice out there is too vague/general and doesn't actually get to the root of a problem and how to fix it.

Luckily I happen to be studying a STEM subject and currently in my final year. I have a girlfriend who is extremely supportive and she has given my life a whole new meaning and direction. Being appreciative of everything I have has given me a lot of perspective on life, honestly life is too short and there is way too much suffering in the world to just live and die.

This is a hard thing to overcome, but you can do it with practice. You have to realize and accept that the bitterness you feel will do nothing to better your situation. Practice putting that out of your mind. Try not to focus on the past that you can't change and instead focus on what you can change, you.

Also, since you are young, but not dumb, don't just float through life. My greatest regret was that I didn't just pick a career path and stick with it in my early 20s. Like me, you probably can't afford to go to college to party and waste time. You can get a huge leg up if you stay focused.
I’m no professional but have you made peace with your mum? You’re bitterness may go away if you make up.
My parents despite their faults are good and loving. I have tremendous support from them and I always try to ignore and forgive their shortcomings. Unfortunately sometimes it feels like everything that went wrong is as a result of them and at times I can really lash out at them. Still I like to think of how far I have come as an individual and just how much more I have to give still.

DESTROYA

Since I'm new and I can't make threads, I'll ask here.

So basically I come from a very working-class family where me and my brothers are the first to go to university. We went through financial troubles during my formative years that really set me back and has left me with trauma. My mum took out her anger on me and my dad was not totally there to support us emotionally. Now I see many of my friends who had 'normal' upbringings doing fine in life. They have absolutely nothing going for them but because they didn't have the same issues as me yet everything seems to just come for them.

I am thankful everyday for what I do since compared the the vast majority of the people on Earth and history, I am living like a king. But at times my bitterness can take over and I find it difficult to get on with my life. Can someone give me some advice to help me get over it?
Yeah, suck it up and grow up. There are a a lot more people in far worse situations that have turned out well with hard work and determination.
Forgive your parents they were probably doing the best they can and move on, life is too short to be bitter about the past.

Catphish

*inhales deeply*

1. Don't marry unless you've dated your partner for at least five years, have been honest about everything during that time, and there are no red flags.

2. Don't have kids unless you're prepared to love them completely and willing to make the sacrifices necessary to put them first in your life.

3. Don't tear others down to build yourself up.

4. Don't think yourself superior or more valuable than anyone else.

5. Don't take on more debt than you can afford to pay off in one year (except, perhaps, for a house or car). If at all possible, stay the fuck away from student loans.

6. Eat at least two cups of leafy greens or cruciferous vegetables per day.

7. Lay off the sugar.

8. If you haven't started nicotine, don't start. If you have, quit.

9. When driving, don't be an asshole. Stay off the phone, and keep your eyes on the road. Also, be prepared for the stupidest thing the people around you can do. Eventually, it'll happen. --edit: actually, this all applies to life in general.

10. Don't let anyone tell you how to feel about yourself. Validation is nice, and criticism can be helpful but, at the end of the day, the only opinion you need to listen to is your own.

11. Do what makes you happy, without prohibiting others from doing the same.

12. The price for love is loss. Be prepared to pay up eventually, and don't let it destroy you when the time comes. It's only the rules of the game.

13. Drugs and alcohol can be fun, but every high comes with a low. Try to feel happiness without them.

14. Before you resign yourself to a diagnosis of depression, consider the possibility that the system we've designed for ourselves is simply inadequate for the healthy function of human beings.

15. You pay for what you get. Always.

16. Do no harm, but take no shit.

17. Gratitude is the key to happiness.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
*inhales deeply*

1. Don't marry unless you've dated your partner for at least five years, have been honest about everything during that time, and there are no red flags.

2. Don't have kids unless you're prepared to love them completely and willing to make the sacrifices necessary to put them first in your life.

5. Don't take on more debt than you can afford to pay off in one year (except, perhaps, for a house or car). If at all possible, stay the fuck away from student loans.

7. Lay off the sugar.

9. When driving, don't be an asshole. Stay off the phone, and keep your eyes on the road. Also, be prepared for the stupidest thing the people around you can do. Eventually, it'll happen. --edit: actually, this all applies to life in general.

10. Don't let anyone tell you how to feel about yourself. Validation is nice, and criticism can be helpful but, at the end of the day, the only opinion you need to listen to is your own.

12. The price for love is loss. Be prepared to pay up eventually, and don't let it destroy you when the time comes. It's only the rules of the game.

13. Drugs and alcohol can be fun, but every high comes with a low. Try to feel happiness without them.

14. Before you resign yourself to a diagnosis of depression, consider the possibility that the system we've designed for ourselves is simply inadequate for the healthy function of human beings.

This motherfucker knows some things. Good life lessons found here, youth GAF

ROMhack

A few:

Set long-term goals and if you find something hard — good. Learning isn't easy and you'll plateau early but over time you'll be amazed at how much you've learned.

Resist the urge to swipe on your phone when bored. Nobody likes being bored but the only way to really think outside of the box is through contemplation (good for creativity too).

Downtime is great but only when you've done enough to appreciate it. The entertainment industry (e.g. gaming) makes it feel like fun should be the main focus of your life but it shouldn't.

With regards to women and dating, seek to be rejected. You'll learn much more from it than inaction.

If you want to make friends or get to know people, always ask about them. People love talking about themselves.

Don't get into an argument with Matt. You won't win.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I wholeheartedly agree, much of the advice out there is too vague/general and doesn't actually get to the root of a problem and how to fix it.

Luckily I happen to be studying a STEM subject and currently in my final year. I have a girlfriend who is extremely supportive and she has given my life a whole new meaning and direction. Being appreciative of everything I have has given me a lot of perspective on life, honestly life is too short and there is way too much suffering in the world to just live and die.

My parents despite their faults are good and loving. I have tremendous support from them and I always try to ignore and forgive their shortcomings. Unfortunately sometimes it feels like everything that went wrong is as a result of them and at times I can really lash out at them. Still I like to think of how far I have come as an individual and just how much more I have to give still.

Keep going with uni, mate. Graduating and starting a job with a set routine will help give some structure to your life and help you feel productive. This in turn will help with mental health.

Hudo

Be honest, lies always make a comeback in some form or another

They'll hurt you, those around you, or both
Can't stress this enough. Telling the truth might hurt but that pain is usually very temporary and compared to the pain you'll cause to yourself and others by letting a lie snowball (which is usually what happens with lies; they never come alone), it's nothing.

Tesseract

Banned
don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, never throw the first punch but always throw the last

if someone hurts your family, burn down everything, destroy their soul and devour their flesh

groups and cliques and clans aren't family no matter how much you tell yourself they are

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Shirts have buttons, is this one of those American things to not call a Tshirt a tshirt?

Shirt

Originally an undergarment worn exclusively by men, it has become, in American English, a catch-all term for a broad variety of upper-body garments and undergarments. In British English, a shirt is more specifically a garment with a collar, sleeves with cuffs, and a full vertical opening with buttons or snaps (North Americans would call that a "dress shirt", a specific type of collared shirt). A shirt can also be worn with a necktie under the shirt collar.

I'm Canadian, but yes I use the term shirt as a catch all as described above. But it should have been obvious just from what I was describing, you don't worry about stretching necks on button up shirts.

Drake

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and blend in. I work in tech and therefore A LOT of the people I work with are super crazy SJW. I don't agree with what they say at all, but I don't let on that I think they are fucking idiots either. This has lead me to get several promotions because if I don't let politics get in the way I can get along with just about anyone. At the end of the day it's all about the Benjamins.

Last edited:

thief183

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and blend in. I work in tech and therefore A LOT of the people I work with are super crazy SJW. I don't agree with what they say at all, but I don't let on that I think they are fucking idiots either. This has lead me to get several promotions because if I don't let politics get in the way I can get along with just about anyone. At the end of the day it's all about the Benjamins.
Honestly... I don't really agree, is this attitude that made us reach this situation.

Winter John

Gold Member
Never interfere in a boy and girl fight.

Beware of whores who say they don't want money. The hell they don't. What they mean is they want more money. Much more.

If you're doing business with a religious son of a bitch, get it in writing. His word isn't worth shit, not with the good Lord telling him how to fuck you on the deal.

Avoid the fuck-ups. You all know the type. Anything they have anything to do with, no matter how good it sounds, turns into a disaster. They are trouble and that trouble will rub off on you.

An old junk pusher once told me, "Watch whose money you pick up." Wise words for anyone.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If you have kids, teach them to fight back if they are being picked on or bullied. If they are being hit, teach them to hit back. And hard. "Two wrongs don't make a right" is a cliche and if your child doesn't learn to fight back at a young age they will be prime targets for bullying and potentially grow up with social anxiety that stunts their social growth.

Listen to intelligent people talk. A lot. It will make you smarter just listening to smarter people than you discuss things.

Don't be afraid to go old school and write shit down. Ideas, anything that comes to mind you think you'll forget.

Read up on and study history. You will forever learn from it. Speaking of which, I was gonna start an ongoing history discussion thread at some point. Maybe one day I will.

brap

Banned
If you have kids, teach them to fight back if they are being picked on or bullied. If they are being hit, teach them to hit back. And hard. "Two wrongs don't make a right" is a cliche and if your child doesn't learn to fight back at a young age they will be prime targets for bullying and potentially grow up with social anxiety that stunts their social growth.
Based. If kids don't fight back they're just gonna keep getting bullied.

nush

Gold Member

Papa

Banned
I have heard this a lot from people recently. Definitely looking forward to being productive with my life, even if it means I have way less time to play games.

One last thing -- I'm not sure how much advice you were looking for and I don't wanna keep harping on at you -- but educate yourself financially as soon as possible. As a STEM grad, you're likely going to earn reasonable money, and you can make your future life much easier if you use it wisely. As rykomatsu rykomatsu said above, compounding interest is a powerful tool that you can use to separate yourself from the pack. Learn about stocks and bonds (securities is the general term) but don't invest until you are comfortable with your level of knowledge and understanding of/appetite for risk. If you are just buying securities based on gut feeling or emotion rather than real knowledge derived from thorough research, then this is speculation, not investment, and speculation should be avoided as a general rule.

Depending on where you live and where you expect to go in your career, it may be worth keeping your money in a savings account or term deposit for use as a deposit on your first home (where I live, you can avoid lender's mortgage insurance if you have a deposit of 20%). However, owning your own home isn't necessarily the best move investment-wise unless you're sure you're going to live in it for an extended period. Despite the mainstream rhetoric, house prices don't always go up, and any capital gains are eroded by inflation. This means that if your house price increased by 5% in one year but inflation was 6% for that year, your investment actually lost 1% of its value in real terms. Houses can actually be really bad investments if people don't know what they're doing (I suppose this applies to anything, but conventional wisdom tends to assert that property is a "safe" investment even though it's not strictly true). If you expect to be geographically-transient for the first part of your career, you may be better off renting and putting the money into more liquid investments like securities, savings accounts, or short-term deposits (liquid means you can access it easily/quickly -- a mortgage on a house is the exact opposite of this). In my experience, millennials like to whine about being unable to buy a home close to the city even though it isn't necessarily their best move financially.

Psychologically, the best way to harness the power of compounding interest is to embrace Delayed Gratification as a foundation of your financial personality. When you first start earning good money, it's tempting to buy expensive toys like fancy clothes and cars, the latest flashy gadgets, etc., but these are not investments as they depreciate (reduce in value over time). They will no longer be "flashy" in 6-12 months anyway and people who are on the consumerism treadmill are in a spending trap in which they have to constantly keep up with their friends and/or social media followers (learn to not give a fuck about social media in general). Don't blow money on expensive one-time entertainment events like concert tickets or major sporting events (the $/entertainment is incredibly poor value), but also don't be afraid to reward yourself at regular intervals (but make sure you actually deserve the reward). For example, my wife and I always make a point of going out to a nice restaurant for major events like getting a new job or a promotion. In fact, we eat out quite a bit, but this is a conscious decision based on our good financial health, a sound and thoroughly-researched financial plan, and an understanding that every dollar we spend delays our retirement by some finite amount of time. Having a good job that you enjoy doing allows you to make such decisions without feeling guilty about it.

For me, my gaming time has also gone down significantly (I'm a little more than 10 years into my career) but my investment portfolio has filled that part of my monkey brain somewhat. I get a lot of satisfaction out of that part of my life in the same way I used to get satisfaction from playing and beating video games. My net worth has supplanted my gamer score lol.

Papa

Banned
Also everyone, no matter what life circumstance they are in, should learn about the concept of Risk. It is used in every single industry on the planet but can also be used to frame life events when you are overwhelmed and struggling to make a decision. Understand risk and you can understand why communism always fails and capitalism as a core economic model is the only way to build a successful society.

Tesseract

Banned

Listen to intelligent people talk. A lot. It will make you smarter just listening to smarter people than you discuss things.

Don't be afraid to go old school and write shit down. Ideas, anything that comes to mind you think you'll forget.

Read up on and study history. You will forever learn from it. Speaking of which, I was gonna start an ongoing history discussion thread at some point. Maybe one day I will.

first paragraph is truth

i said this before in another thread but again:

school bully in 5th grade sucker punched me so i tackled him and punched out most of his teeth, kicked dirt and leaves all over him, dragged him by his left ankle 10 feet or so to a puddle of water (was gonna drown him but a teacher stopped me)

story became legend in my class until the end of high school and i was never bullied again

Last edited:

brap

Banned
school bully in 5th grade sucker punched me so i tackled him and punched out most of his teeth, kicked dirt and leaves all over him, dragged him by his left ankle 10 feet or so to a puddle of water (was gonna drown him but a teacher stopped me)
lmaooooooooooooooooooo savage af 💯💯💯:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:👌:messenger_tears_of_joy:👌👌💪

nush

Gold Member
first paragraph is truth

story became legend in my class until the end of high school and i was never bullied again

Having a couple of fights in your first few years of school means nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's usually some 5-10 year olds slap fights no worse than what they have with their siblings. But getting that respect and not being a victim pays off for the rest of their life. As long as you teach them fighting is wrong, but sometimes the wrong thing to do IS the right thing to do. Just don't apply it to every situation.

brap

Banned
i had serious behavior problems k-5, there's nothing good about what i did and it's not savage af or commendable
That's what he gets for sucker punching you like a little bitch. Maybe that made him think twice before hitting somebody again. You never know when there's gonna be somebody like you that's gonna go apeshit.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
first paragraph is truth

It's funny I give that advice because I had the rare exception. I had a neighborhood bully growing up who bullied the entire neighborhood, not just me. But he was a black belt in some form of martial arts and he wasn't a pussy, he walked the walk and would beat up badly on kids who tried to fight back.

So we used to fight back in more clever ways, like throw shit at him and run. Fuck with him.

We found out he was plotting to really beat one of us up badly. But it never happened. The reason? He ended up killing a kid who tried to fight back and he ended up going to jail.

But most bullies are not like that and kids should still always fight back.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
That's what he gets for sucker punching you like a little bitch. Maybe that made him think twice before hitting somebody again. You never know when there's gonna be somebody like you that's gonna go apeshit.

It's funny I give that advice because I had the rare exception. I had a neighborhood bully growing up who bullied the entire neighborhood, not just me. But he was a black belt in some form of martial arts and he wasn't a pussy, he walked the walk and would beat up badly on kids who tried to fight back.

So we used to fight back in more clever ways, like throw shit at him and run. Fuck with him.

We found out he was plotting to really beat one of us up badly. But it never happened. The reason? He ended up killing a kid who tried to fight back and he ended up going to jail.

ja

my opinion is that if someone gets violent, they are in it to kill you and have to be put down by any means necessary

go for the eyes or throat, cripple or maim and then destroy or run away

Papa

Banned
Having a couple of fights in your first few years of school means nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's usually some 5-10 year olds slap fights no worse than what they have with their siblings. But getting that respect and not being a victim pays off for the rest of their life. As long as you teach them fighting is wrong, but sometimes the wrong thing to do IS the right thing to do. Just don't apply it to every situation.

Fighting is only wrong if you're the one initiating it. Otherwise, swing freely, brother.

nush

Gold Member
I had this one group in secondary school that would jump me on the way too and from school "It's not IN school, so the teachers can't do anything" mentality. There was this one kid who was a bit hard, but three other kids that were pussies hiding behind him. 4 against one, I wasn't going to win. I eventually got so pissed off that I went fucking Death Wish one breaktime and hunted the three pussies down one on one. They obviously were not so hard by themselves so just begged, pleaded, blamed someone else so I would not give them a well fucking deserved one on one. The three all got a massive slap and left me alone.

The "Hard kid" I knew I could not beat, but as fortune would have it when a large group of kids try to rush into the front entrace of the school building like there a Black Friday TV deal inside he just happened to get shoved and fell down right infront of me. He had no idea who it was that kicked him in the face hard by "accident" when he was down on the ground.

Anyway, he still continued to give me trouble but those other kids just stayed away. 75% victory, I'll take that.

Papa

Banned
i had serious behavior problems k-5, there's nothing good about what i did and it's not savage af or commendable

obv you are gassing me a bit here, that's fine

Shrug, I think you did the right thing except for the intention to drown him. Taught the little shit a lesson and likely prevented him from continuing to bully other kids.

nush

Gold Member
Fighting is only wrong if you're the one initiating it. Otherwise, swing freely, brother.

My boy understood this and was telling me how he fought back against a bully. "Good lad" I said and he continued "She wont hit me again..". Ahhhh, hold on there son, there's a rule you've forgotten. No biggie, he was only 6 at the time.

Papa

Banned
My boy understood this and was telling me how he fought back against a bully. "Good lad" I said and he continued "She wont hit me again..". Ahhhh, hold on there son, there's a rule you've forgotten. No biggie, he was only 6 at the time.

At that age, there's not much physical difference between boys and girls, so again, swing freely, brother.

Tesseract

Banned
Shrug, I think you did the right thing except for the intention to drown him. Taught the little shit a lesson and likely prevented him from continuing to bully other kids.

yeah i'm glad i was stopped because i'm reasonably certain i would've (tried to) drown him or worse

strong memory of blood lust in my veins, teacher grabbed me and threw me aside, i pounded the dirt for a good minute, uttering harsh prolonged gibberish

boys will be boys i guess

Last edited:

brap

Banned

But most bullies are not like that and kids should still always fight back.
Lol that reminds me of this big black dude that transferred to our school in 5th grade. He was 13 and like 6 feet tall. He'd bully everybody and when he hit you with one of the giant deflated bouncy balls it stung like fuck.
We used to make plans on how we would deal with him at recess. Mainly involved jumping on him and trying to knock him into the corner that was lower than the rest of the playground and smelled like piss.
I still have those plans stashed away somewhere.

farmerboy

Here's my protip, read this post.

*inhales deeply*

7. Lay off the sugar.

Great post, particularly number 6!😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom