• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protomen concert cancelled by Capcom cease and desist? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
XNdlY.jpg

What do you guys think? Is Capcom really trying to erase Mega Man from our memories?

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
1 month ago, this would have been ok. Now it's just poor timing and really feels like spitting on the fans just a little more.

Nairume

Banned
As much as I hate to side with Capcom, it was kind of crazy to expect them to not go after a band that was actually profiting on using their IP.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If this is true, Capcom is trying to erase themselves from our memories.
I think Protomen are mad overrated, and they're only popular because of the Mega Man shtick, but this is still ridiculous if true.

Beth Cyra

Depsite the resent issues which do suck, this is Capcom being in the right.

If the band was using Capcom's Ip they are doing the same thing any other company in the industry would do regardless of the recent Rock issues.

Ahahahahahahahahaha!

I like how Capcom is just trademark squatting now. These guys should have known better, but it's just funny because it's not like Capcom is going to do anything with the characters.

Oh man.

It would be awesome if Capcom started pulling a Lucasfilm and making all things Megaman go away, the way Lucas monkeys with his old movies.

Nairume said:
As much as I hate to side with Capcom, it was kind of crazy to expect them to not go after a band that was actually profiting on using their IP.

Except they have to have known about the Protomen for years now, Capcom's too tied in on the community side not to, and the lawyers can't be that slow on the draw. So what's changed, what have they done differently to deserve the sudden smackdown?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"It's been an open secret for a long time," said an industry figure who is definitely not made up. "When we make a videogame, we don't need permission from fans to put in the characters we want. If Capcom wants to include Firebrand and not Mega Man, based on what will make a more balanced videogame, it can do that, because Capcom's making the game. Not the fans."

Also, from that one journalist that we don't like. Take it with a grain of salt.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh God, I didn't see the date on that cease and desist. It happened way before Legends 3 was cancelled.

GSR

That thing is either fake or old news, and I don't recall hearing anything about them getting C&D'd in February. Probably just someone trying to stir up trouble again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think this is probably fake and capitalizing on MegaMan fan's thirst for internet drama right now.

Has any company burned through good will from it's fanbase this quickly before? Jesus Christ this is madness, they've gone into Bobby Kotick levels of jackassery.

ultron87

You have to be kidding me.

They've fucking played at Capcom's booth at a trade show before.

God damnit, if this prevents them from playing at Gencon in 2 weeks I'm going to be extremely unhappy.

And they aren't "copying Megaman". They make prog rock concept albums that are extremely loosely based on Megaman. They don't even use any of the music or anything.

Nairume

Banned
Kulock said:
Except they have to have known about the Protomen for years now, Capcom's too tied in on the community side not to, and the lawyers can't be that slow on the draw. So what's changed, what have they done differently to deserve the sudden smackdown?
Perhaps there was a change in the amount of money/publicity the band was bringing in.

Andrefpvs

Didn't Capcom Unity post Protomen videos in the past, or at least mention them before?

This is weird.

Also,

Wikipedia said:
In 2007, The Protomen played at Capcom's booth at San Diego Comic Con by Capcom's invitation.

Edit: Oh, so it's fake? It never made much sense tbh.

Nairume

Banned
hardcastle_mccormick said:
You have got to be kidding me.

Act 2 was barely Mega Man related at all. A couple of names as best.
Those names happened to be Albert Wily and Thomas Light.

Slime

Banned
Into every generation it is born: one company in all the world, a chosen one. It alone will wield bastardry and bad PR to piss off the devoted fans, the loyal supporters, and the core demographics; to stop the spread of their goodwill and the swell of their number. It is the Douchey Publisher.

Guess the "gift" has passed from Atari to EA, and now to both Activision and Capcom. I guess the death of Activision's music games at the end of season 1 caused a loophole allowing for two at once.

Interesting that they would C&D the Protomen, but seem to totally support the Megas. In fact, the Megas music is even featured in official trailers for Megaman Universe, and their lyrics were incorporated into the new comic.

What the hell Capcom?

Luigiv

Well if they're making a tidy profit off of this then they should be paying who ever owns the original compositions royalties. That's the way things work in the music business (seriously, it's ruthless). That being said, I don't see a concert of Megaman covers making enough profit to be worth the fuss of paying lawyers to write a C&D letter. That'd be like going after those shitty cover bands who play at pubs on the weekend.

ultron87

Luigiv said:
Well if they're making a tidy profit off of this then they should be paying who ever owns the original compositions royalties. That's the way things work in the music business (seriously, it's ruthless). That being said, I don't see a concert of Megaman covers making enough profit to be worth the fuss of paying lawyers to write a C&D letter. That'd be like going after those shitty cover bands who play at pubs on the weekend.

They don't really use any Megaman music. There are a few homages in their but it's almost entirely original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcDoZnN8ac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTaqc3_5oYg

Edit: Phew. Fake.

Nairume

Banned
hardcastle_mccormick said:
That's where the "barely" comes into play. I don't see the point of your reply.
They are two of the most prominent characters in the franchise behind Mega Man himself. If Capcom doesn't like that they are using their characters, no matter how little, it is their right to say something.

The Protomen went into this knowing exactly what could happen.

Lijik

This sounds like a bad joke from the MML3 fallout thread.
Im shocked that this happened, especially with such poor timing
EDIT- Oh it was a joke. Whew

ultron87 said:
You have to be kidding me.

They've fucking played at Capcom's booth at a trade show before.
God damnit, if this prevents them from playing at Gencon in 2 weeks I'm going to be extremely unhappy.

And they aren't "copying Megaman". They make prog rock concept albums that are extremely loosely based on Megaman. They don't even use any of the music or anything.

That's crazy. I was going to say that CAPCOM was in right if these guys were selling CDs and stuff of Mega Man music. But if CAPCOM previously knew about it and even kind of promoted it, that's pretty messed up.

Luigiv said:

Except from what I've heard of their work, and what I've seen others say, they don't remix existing Mega Man music. They write their own music, with the stories of their albums a loose reinterpretation of the Mega Man plot.

Edit: Oh good, fake.

ramine said:
1 month ago, this would have been ok. Now it's just poor timing and really feels like spitting on the fans just a little more.

This is just unbelievable. What kind of boneheads do they have working there? Do they not fucking think? I seriously want to punch capcom in the face.

I wish everyone would boycott capcom products for awhile. They can seriously go fuck themselves for all the shit they've been pulling in the last year.

Edit: Joke? I really hope so. I still want people to boycott capcom lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom