• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS All Stars Battle Royale first DLC revealed: Kat and Emmett (Free)

KalBalboa

Banned
Emmett can summon supply drops during fights, calling down auto-firing turrets — a real nuisance — and a generator that emits AP (All-Star Power), the energy that fuels super meters.

Emmett can also request drops for different weapons, a reference to Starhawk's "Build-in-Battle" system. In addition to his standard rifle, he can call in drops that outfit him with a shotgun or missile launcher, each with limited ammo that can be refilled from the supply drop container. Those containers can cause damage to other players as they fall, making Emmett an annoying force to be reckoned with.

I love it.

Hires_0000_epic.jpg
take that Radec spammer! :D

Shahed

While the news and images are awesome, especially the Wipeout Stage, Kat's icon is horrid. That neeDS to be changes. Make it more 2D or something

KalBalboa

Banned
Hires_0000_epic.jpg

take that Radec spammer! :D

Hah! That's great.

While the news and images are awesome, especially the Wipeout Stage, Kat's icon is horrid. That neeDS to be changes. Make it more 2D or something

Someone else pointed out that every character's icon changed over the course of development up until a month prior to release, so I bet it'll conform a bit. I think it looks fine as is, but I don't really notice them anyway.

A.E Suggs

As much as I think GR being neat, why are people lapping over Kat? She feels so lacking in GR outside from being your average female character.

I agree with this. People act like she's some amazing character. I've beat Gravity Rush and don't see it at all.

All she really has going for her is her design.

People act like every character is an amazing character, and most of them only have their design going for them. What is unique about crash moveset? Nothing yet people want him, that said kat moveset potential is high and she's not your average character troupe either.

Seriously what is up with this hipster attitude all of a sudden, people seem to do this with every character that seems to have a surge in popularity. Its also always followed by a parrot like above like everyone on earth likes the character, why can't you people let people like who they like?

KalBalboa

Banned
Private...:[

I must've clicked at just the right moment- I got to watch it.

Seeing Kat do a melee combo on Nathan was pretty cool to see, and Dusty was definitely in one of her super animations. Emmett's dropping of structures onto other players was pretty awesome to see in motion too.

SykoTech

Will never get used to bald, sideburns Sessler.

And that pic w/Crash, Lightning, and freaking Skylanders Spyro....salt in the wound.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Finally, some video!

Kat: Haha, that's kinda... exactly what I wanted her ground chain to work like, but actually a bit better, as she's rooted to the ground a lot less than she would be in a full high-level ground combo in Gravity Rush.

As one of few people who thinks "Kick chains!" for Kat, even before "Gravity kick!", you can tell this pleases me greatly, haha.

I hope that 140 AP threshold combo she shows off stays exactly like that; it's the kind of simi-risky stuff I pull off with Nariko already, but with a character I personlly like better, and such a combo style already has obvious "Fodder for team-mate" weaknesses, plus fairly positon-critical (probably wouldn't work as well near corners, for instance.)

Level 3 looks very solid, and devently balanced (notice her charging taclke doesn't hit in the jump, but only at the point of impact; and the fury swipes leave her rooted, but are faster to activate), lvl 2 looks like it has a good spread, is broken up with enough timing to be avoidable by solid players, but is wide-spready enough to FEEL like something you should save meters for (inlike some lvl 2s, which feel underpowered for all the time you go through waiting for them.)

Emmett: Woah, he looks pretty solid so far, too! So his lvl 1 will change depending on the weapon he has... the example show seems to be similiar to Nariko's lvl 1, in that the projectile does nothing, until it explodes at the goal point. Not mr favorite type, but that seems to fit in well with his playstyle. Also, it's very reasonable for a guy who has "moddable supers" to have some restrictions applied to them.

Lvl 2 looks pretty good, but I do wonder how much control you have over the pod drop? is it always a few character spaces away from him, or can he decide betweem multiple distances? So far, I'd assume it's like Toro's starfall, in that it's very set, depending on where you stand.

He looks like a great person to play in a stage like Sandover Village, as he'll be a master of "King of the Hill" style tactics, with that auto-turret. I hope he has good guns to "perster" (like a quick, worthwhile machine gun) as well as "blast away" type tools, to make him feel more well-rounded. He'll be pretty similiar to Sackboy in some ways, as far as space control goes, but I kind of hope he does't have something as annoying as Sack's Shockpad.

---

All in all, the 2 new character here look great, and I'm impressed with the overall quality; These character seem to be closer to the Sir Dan level of animation and art design. Superbot seems much more knowing with what works for their characters, and how to approach those goals, even from this early preview.

This all speaks very good for the quality of DLC for this game, going forward. Hopefully, that Troll-title image will end up being more truth than fiction, when all is said and done with this game.

Top Bottom