• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS All-Stars Update: New Stage, New Characters, New Minions (Patch Live)

KalBalboa

Banned
I must say that this doesn't make any sense to me, is kinda like saying no zelda is a zelda game because there is not really a solid connection, neither Final Fantasy games are Final Fantasy.

Some people are just desperate to complain & crack wise on message boards, despite DmC getting rave reviews and All-Stars having a great fighting engine.

Oh well (=

Big Daddy isn't recognizable? Bioshock 1 and 2 didn't sell millions on PS3? Devil May Cry isn't a huge franchise?

News to me. Can't see why people would complain about new (free) characters. Unless they were just desperate to try and crack-wise on a message board.

He's only recognizable to "core" gamers, more or less. Plus Bioshock was an Xbox exclusive for awhile, which makes even less sense to have him as a "Playstation All Star".

When most people think of icons to represent the brand, they think of Crash, Spyro, Solid Snake, Cloud, etc, not Big Daddy, Heihachi, DINO (not the original) and Raiden. All of the previously mentioned icons were all obviously out of Superbot's budget or owners of said IPs just didn't want to play game, which basically goes back to budgeting issues.

A.E Suggs

I expected the new stage to be free for the 1st 2 weeks.

$5 bucks per character (after 2 weeks) seems pretty ridiculous - they should have went with $2 characters to get more conversion.

Ridiculous when you can get them free now without even having the game? This comment is ridiculous and the price even at that isn't that high especially considering you get more than just the character.

He's only recognizable to "core" gamers, more or less. Plus Bioshock was an Xbox exclusive for awhile, which makes even less sense to have him as a "Playstation All Star".

When most people think of icons to represent the brand, they think of Crash, Spyro, Solid Snake, Cloud, etc, not Big Daddy, Heihachi, DINO (not the original) and Raiden. All of the previously mentioned icons were all obviously out of Superbot's budget or owners of said IPs just didn't want to play game, which basically goes back to budgeting issues.
Heihachi is the one third party character that makes sense. Tekken is a PlayStation series and Heihachi has been in every one. Though I think Kazuya or Jin would have been a better choice.

KalBalboa

Banned
Added the Rival Arena to the list of additions. I used a screen cap from the Vita version, but if someone finds a higher-res one I'd be more than happy to switch it out.

Heihachi is the one third party character that makes sense. Tekken is a PlayStation series and Heihachi has been in every one. Though I think Kazuya or Jin would have been a better choice.

I'd argue Dante still does too, due to how long he's been on PlayStation consoles. I see no issue with Big Daddy either, but I can see why some would complain that he doesn't feel as exclusively PlayStation as others.

With that being said, every time my buddies and I play All-Stars we have one guy who always jumps at Big Daddy. I know a lot of big Bioshock fans who've only played the series on PS3.

J-Tier

Added the Rival Arena to the list of additions. I used a screen cap from the Vita version, but if someone finds a higher-res one I'd be more than happy to switch it out.

Finally, I had the same complaint about Marvel. They could've just used the final stage as another stage considering the assets are already there--though with slight modifications.

But this is good, it's a nice medium sized stage.

Akira_83

Banned
I must say that this doesn't make any sense to me, is kinda like saying no zelda is a zelda game because there is not really a solid connection, neither Final Fantasy games are Final Fantasy.

EDIT: I can' wait to try Kat and Emmett to see if I can finally find a character that fits me.

ok so if you could put ONE mainline Final Fantasy character in playstation all stars, are you gonna put Cloud from FF7 or Lightning from FF13?

remember this is PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS

pick carefully

Those minion characters, are they like the equivalent to the Smash Bros NPC in the trophy glass?

No, they're purely cosmetic. They appear during the character's intro and win/loss pose at the end of the match. They also pop up on your HUD when you get a multi-kill. They're essentially just cheerleaders.

Step

ok so if you could put ONE mainline Final Fantasy character in playstation all stars, are you gonna put Cloud from FF7 or Lightning from FF13?

pick carefully

Shoudln't be chocobos then?

And no joke, I rather Lightning with her paradigm shift would make a great adition to the roster.

pick carefully

You act like they had a choice.

They probably went to Capcom for Dante and the only way they would get Dante is if it would be the new one.

Same thing if they went to Square and Square would only allow Lightning..

The only reason Snake was in Brawl was because Sakurai and Kojima are bros and Kojima asked for it.

It really wasn't up to Superbot which verision of the 3rd party guys they could have access to.

and in the end..like it or not outside of Big Daddy, most of those characters got their starts on Playstation (Raiden and Dante...hell THIS VERSION of Raiden debuted in MGS4 a game that is still PS exclusive).

Complaints against the roster are pointless because Sony doesn't own most of their shit so they are at the mercy of the third parties.

Zomba13

Downloaded the patch, Kat and Starhawk guy aren't unlocked. I go to unlock them and it takes me to an old style PSN store with the network pass (which I should have as I bought this game digitally and can play online)

SmithnCo

Downloaded the patch, Kat and Starhawk guy aren't unlocked. I go to unlock them and it takes me to an old style PSN store with the network pass (which I should have as I bought this game digitally and can play online)

Need to wait for the store update tonight. Grace Chen time baby.

KalBalboa

Banned

Like it says on the first line of the OP: they'll be available when the store update goes live.

Mokubba

Downloading the patch as we speak. I can't wait to try out both. Kat has priority but Emmett's level 3 looks so good

I find them putting in a character from a studio Sony has relinquished ties from pretty funny. The beloved Emmett from the series that likely won't see another sequel!

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Damn why is the Vita patch for this game 825 MB?!? When the PS3 patch is only 550 MB?

Up until now they had done such a good job of keeping the file size on Vita down while offering a practically identical version of the PS3 game. The Vita version of the main game is 1/3 the size of the PS3 version, so why is the new Vita patch 50% bigger than the PS3 patch for identical content?

This just bugs me because storage space is at a premium for me (especially on Vita), so by taking up so much more space, the Vita version just became a much bigger target for deletion to make room for other things. Which makes it harder to justify paying $2 for the new stage...

It's cool that they're taking a pretty consumer-friendly approach to the DLC with this and I look forward to trying out the new characters and possibly getting back into this game, but I don't appreciate having as scarce a resource as Vita memory being wasted.

ZeroAKA

I really like the looks of the new Gravity Rush icons and backgrounds. What's up with Kat's character portrait though?

hatmoza

You forgot to include that the patch also added the new fugly old Dante look. The artist that added 50 years to Dante needs to be slapped awake.

Seems like they should make all the DLC free forever. Maybe drum up more interest in the game. I'm getting Kat and Emmett, but I don't see myself ever buying any of the paid DLC, especially if any future characters will be priced at $4.99.

Even Heihachi, as much as Tekken was exclusive for so long, he's an existing fighting game character. Most of the fun with these fighting game franchises is how they adapt the characters into fighting game combatants. Having a guy with basically all the stuff there already makes him boring IMO. Oh, he punches and kicks. That's basically all he's able to do - now if it was from a fighting game with a lot more flashy stuff I'd maybe think it could be cool but Heihachi is just boring IMO.

Top Bottom