• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: Firewalk’s AAA team sets its sights on creating memorable multiplayer moments for players.

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure I know them...but from the posts they were related to Destiny like stuff? Don't find that a bad thing.

But focused on multiplayer...thats an easy pass for me.

cormack12

Gold Member
My wife might remember the name of the game, and might have some pics.

200.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Super underrated quotes right here...

"But you know what? The lovely folks that we are talking to today at Firewalk Studios, they're story tellers just like the people at PlayStation Studios are. They are story tellers in a very innovative way. Matched with their deep experience as a collective in AAA multiplayer games, I think that is going to lead to some very interesting and very nice surprises for our fans." - Herman Hulst

"It is all about story in multiplayer, but the story comes from a unique place," says creative director Ryan Ellis. "It's all about those surprising possibilities that happen when two or more players interact in the system. I think it's best summed up with the phase: 'Remember that time when..." - Firewalk

The future of story is in gameplay, not cutscenes. The industry seems to be figuring it out.

cragarmi

PvP shooter, vehicular combat, Unreal engine 4, Possibly cross gen? It needs to have something unique about it or it wont stand out!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The future of story is in gameplay, not cutscenes. The industry seems to be figuring it out.
And these fucks need to make it skippable..

Sony drives me nuts with that stuff. "here's some fake ass not really gameplay you have to walk through for 5 minutes to be told story"..

My least favorite thing.. worse than an un-skippable cutscene, which they also love.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Strange, this implies the game is not in a early state but in an actual, playable state

The studio was founded in 2018, so it's possible they have been working 2 years already on this. I'd say they're past design and finished prototyping and the prototype is what sold the deal.

Just talking out of my ass, so take it with a grain of salt.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Imagine greenlighting this while saying no to Kojima.

I loved Death Stranding, but it was a money drain. Let's not ask Sony to babysit Kojima on every project. It's time for him to man-up and take risks on his own as he refused to be acquired by Sony and wanted to be "independent".

Well, enjoy your independency, Kojima-san.

Last edited:

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Super underrated quotes right here...

"But you know what? The lovely folks that we are talking to today at Firewalk Studios, they're story tellers just like the people at PlayStation Studios are. They are story tellers in a very innovative way. Matched with their deep experience as a collective in AAA multiplayer games, I think that is going to lead to some very interesting and very nice surprises for our fans." - Herman Hulst

"It is all about story in multiplayer, but the story comes from a unique place," says creative director Ryan Ellis. "It's all about those surprising possibilities that happen when two or more players interact in the system. I think it's best summed up with the phase: 'Remember that time when..." - Firewalk

Former Xbox/Bungie

Gameplay First.

mckmas8808

Banned
And these fucks need to make it skippable..

Sony drives me nuts with that stuff. "here's some fake ass not really gameplay you have to walk through for 5 minutes to be told story"..

My least favorite thing.. worse than an un-skippable cutscene, which they also love.

They love them because MOST GAMERS love them. It's been that way for years!

Mikey Jr.

I really really hope its not a hero based arena shooter or whatever the fuck.

If it targets e-sports, I am instantly fucking out.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s no more exclusive ps mp shooters we’ve discussed this before, PS3 had a bunch, shout out to confrontation but incorporating an exclusive mp shooter would be sick.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They love them because MOST GAMERS love them. It's been that way for years!

That's incorrect.

Look at active game playing metrics from sources like SteamCharts and XBLive Most Played List. Then look at the completion rate for these types of games where 60% completion is considered exceptional.

Sony is pivoting exceptionally quick away from those types of games. (Don't worry, Sony's big single player hitters are still being made). Jim Ryan is has read the industry beautifully here. He's definitely cementing his legacy unbelievably fast during his tenure already.

2022 will be a blast.

CamHostage

Strange, this implies the game is not in a early state but in an actual, playable state
Probably, I don't know that they'd bother to announce it if it weren't a few milestones deep and on track to reach the public.

We're in a weird state of production disclosure now where news reaches the public differently than it used to (this kind of news used to be in the trades, or just a note in the news crawl,) but the public is used to "Trailer or GTFO!" (even teaser concept videos are often scoffed at), even though productions now take several years to make. So, when is a developer (who needs good news about contracts with major corporations) allowed to announce, and is that a separate announcement from when the publisher (which is the voice representing the products it wants us to go consume) makes news public on its channels? And if the game dies in production, did the public never have the right to know it ever existed since it was never announced?

Weird times, but whatever, good luck to Firewalk, we'll see you sometime down the road...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Probably, I don't know that they'd bother to announce it if it weren't a few milestones deep and on track to reach the public.

We're in a weird state of production disclosure now where news reaches the public differently than it used to (this kind of news used to be in the trades, or just a note in the news crawl,) but the public is used to "Trailer or GTFO!" (even teaser concept videos are often scoffed at), even though productions now take several years to make...

It feels like big AAA single player games now take 4-5 years to make.

I'm not sure if that timetable is similar when talking about multiplayer games. I'd assume the length of development is considerably shorter, maybe 3-4 years on average (depending on the genre)?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
What?
That was heavily populated for close to 10 years and even after Sony shut it down the hardcore still found a way to continue with their own server.
Not sure what region, whenever I looked for a game with high speed internet the thing was laggy as fuck. Flying was a joke.

Lets hope this new title has actual Networking.

SSfox

Another loot fps shooter online... Waaaaa...

britney_yawn-DMID1-5db5rkpai-350x229.gif

So they closed Japan Studio to put money in this kind of sh1t?

Hermen Hult: "Who cares about Kojima, Platinium, or Fromsoft when you can deals with Jayde Raymond or some Destiny like shiet"

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Imagine greenlighting this while saying no to Kojima.
Halo - Multiple award-winning games - especially multiplayer/online awards
y6403lkb8fm01.png

Destiny - BAFTA best game 2015
B_7Tpf7W8AAjw7T

Apex legends - Game Awards best multiplayer 2019 - BAFTA best multiplayer 2020
maxresdefault.jpg

EUnyPJ-XQAIeY_t

It's pretty obvious Sony doesn't need more singleplayer IP's - they need a great multiplayer game.

tmlDan

Sony will keep partnering with up and coming studios because IP ownership is a must.
I think that's fantastic, there's a higher risk but we need fresh ideas, we KNOW what Bethesda is going to make its not gonna be a surprise most of the time. This industry needs a jolt of life and creativity which i hope smaller, new studios can implement. That goes for the two studios created from former blizzard employees as well.

bitbydeath

Well you were incredibly lucky, everyone I played with in my area had about the same shitty laggy time.
You’re probably thinking of a different game because Warhawk was flawless.

Edit: There was the option to create your own matches which would put the reliance on the hosts internet connection, that’s probably what you did.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
You’re probably thinking of a different game because Warhawk was flawless.

Edit: There was the option to create your own matches which would put the reliance on the hosts internet connection, that’s probably what you did.
Nope, used the server browser. Was an awful time all around.

It was probably because Sony was too cheap to make servers more easterly in NA.

yurinka

Will it be as fun as Bleeding Edge or Destruction All-Stars?
What have they done? Their site is scarce and the probablymonsters one isn't much better. They seem to just be a support studio maybe? They're very young as well - founded in 2018. Be interesting to see what they have brought to the table.
EDIT: Just saw this studio is really inexperienced and likely shit....
Unlike Bleeding Edge or Destruction All-Stars, this is a AAA game. The bosses of this games are mostly the same ones of the first Destiny, and the team has many experienced veterans who previously worked on Destiny, Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinite or Apex Legends to name a few. So they will know how to do both a good game and a good multiplayer game.

Their studio started in 2018 and they have been working with Sony for the last couple of years.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Who the fuck are these people? Please enjoy some select quotes from their website;

ProbablyMonsters is the first of its kind as a new category of independent gaming company. Neither publisher nor developer, we are a family of studios that create and launch original AAA games through a people-first culture.

A family that is knit with strong and compatible cultural bonds that transcend from studio culture, to games we develop, to community of fans, always setting higher bars for ourselves, our teams, our games, and our industry.

“I just love how people can go to a meeting and share candid feedback on each other’s work…I have gained a lot from these meetings.”

Word salad.

Top Bottom