• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: Firewalk’s AAA team sets its sights on creating memorable multiplayer moments for players.

yurinka

Japanese Sony strikes again.
Don't worry, Sony will continue having more Japanese exclusives than Microsoft and Nintendo combined every year and generation.

In addition to Japan Studio and Polyphony, Jim Ryan said they yesterday that will have more exclusives in PS5 than in previous generations, that the support from Japanese devs started very strong but that they are working on strengthening ties with Japanese devs to secure even more support and increase the number of Japanese market appealing games.

WTF? We are announcing studios partnerships before announcing actual games now?
Maybe they copied it from the Microsoft and Bethesda deal.

Now seriously, maybe you didn't notice it but they are announcing here a game: a multiplayer AAA new IP that will be 2nd party and made by the Destiny guys (+ veterans from Apex Legends, Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinite, etc).

Last edited:

sainraja

What?
That was heavily populated for close to 10 years and even after Sony shut it down the hardcore still found a way to continue with their own server.
I was going to respond to that and point out the same thing but if he actually played it, he'd have known that. He probably was on it for a little while and moved on or he is just trolling.

But I do miss that game and wish a return for it now would be awesome. And Starhawk! That was fun too!

Last edited:

sainraja

Nope, used the server browser. Was an awful time all around.

It was probably because Sony was too cheap to make servers more easterly in NA.
I played the game from the East Coast. And no....it was not an awful time all around. It was my main online game of the PS3 generation and I played the hell out of it. It must be your internet.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's incorrect.

Look at active game playing metrics from sources like SteamCharts and XBLive Most Played List. Then look at the completion rate for these types of games where 60% completion is considered exceptional.

Sony is pivoting exceptionally quick away from those types of games. (Don't worry, Sony's big single player hitters are still being made). Jim Ryan is has read the industry beautifully here. He's definitely cementing his legacy unbelievably fast during his tenure already.

2022 will be a blast.

You're wrong!

e&e

Banned
Don't worry, Sony will continue having more Japanese exclusives than Microsoft and Nintendo combined every year and generation.

In addition to Japan Studio and Polyphony, Jim Ryan said they yesterday that will have more exclusives in PS5 than in previous generations, that the support from Japanese devs started very strong but that they are working on strengthening ties with Japanese devs to secure even more support and increase the number of Japanese market appealing games.

Maybe they copied it from the Microsoft and Bethesda deal.

Now seriously, maybe you didn't notice it but they are announcing here a game: a multiplayer AAA new IP that will be 2nd party and made by the Destiny guys (+ veterans from Apex Legends, Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinite, etc).
Copied what from MS and Bethesda deal? Argue better since you make no sense. They didn’t announce a game they announced an idea with words on a blog lmfao.

Nubulax

Copied what from MS and Bethesda deal? Argue better since you make no sense. They didn’t announce a game they announced an idea with words on a blog lmfao.

I took from reading all about this that there is a game that is in a playable state that has been in development for a bit now, have I been wrong in this take?

From the blog
"We’re already hard at work on development and have been having a ton of fun playing our game as a team. In fact, while we continued to grow our team during this challenging last year, it was our daily online playtests that provided the most consistent point of joy and connection for our crew. The fun and laughter of playing together brought us closer, even if we were physically apart. Our goal is to be able to deliver that same joy to gamers and we can’t wait to share what we’ve been working on when the time is right."

I wouldnt be surprised if we see a small trailer or some more info about this game for Sonys equiv "E3" like presser this year. In the blog it said Studio was founded in 2018 so that is around 2-3 years now

Last edited:

yurinka

I jokingly replied that to "WTF? We are announcing studios partnerships before announcing actual games now?" because MS announced their partnership wih Bethesda/Zenimax and more than half a year later they still have to announce the first new actual Bethesda/Zenimax game for Microsoft. This is the similarity.

Which is very different to what we're talking about in this thread. Here Sony announced they have an upcoming 2nd party AAA multiplayer new IP, that has been in the works at Firewalk since 2018 with a great team of veterans and that they have been working on it with Sony since 2 years ago (so announced an actual game, but didn't show it). Since they have been working on it for that long, probably we'll see it this E3 and the game being released maybe next year or 2023.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Me when I see NeoGAF talking about a multiplayer story...

anigif_sub-buzz-26545-1550621760-1.gif

e&e

Banned
I jokingly replied that to "WTF? We are announcing studios partnerships before announcing actual games now?" because MS announced their partnership wih Bethesda/Zenimax and more than half a year later they still have to announce the first new actual Bethesda/Zenimax game for Microsoft. This is the similarity.

Which is very different to what we're talking about in this thread. Here Sony announced they have an upcoming 2nd party AAA multiplayer new IP, that has been in the works at Firewalk since 2018 with a great team of veterans and that they have been working on it with Sony since 2 years ago (so announced an actual game, but didn't show it). Since they have been working on it for that long, probably we'll see it this E3 and the game being released maybe next year or 2023.
There is no similarity...Microsoft announced they bought a company. No...similarity...

Last edited:

yurinka

There is no similarity...Microsoft announced they bought a company. No...similarity...
"We are announcing studios partnerships before announcing actual games now?"
Microsoft announced Zenimax studios partnerships before announcing actual games. It isn't a similarity: IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME. 6 months later Zenimax/Bethesda still have to announce their first new game for Microsoft.

In this thread Sony is announcing a very different thing: a new AAA 2nd party multiplayer new IP from the creators of Destiny, at the same time they announce their deal with this studio.

Can't you see the difference? The one announcing studio partnerships before announcing actual games was Microsoft, not Sony.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You're right, there is no similarity. Microsoft made the Bethesda announcement (when the purchase wasn't even finalized) a day before Xbox Series X|S pre-orders went live, to create hype. There were no Bethesda exclusive games announced.

MS actually bought Bethesda ~5 months later. There are still no Bethesda games announced for Xbox.

PlayStation announced the partnership along with a game announcement, i.e., AAA multiplayer IP from Firewak Studios.

There indeed is no similarity.

yurinka

Its easy to be psyched about any project in its infancy. Let’s see how it pans out in reality. Hoping for greatness.
I assume it's only a PR-like statement showing some hyperbolic fake excitement typical from execs, but I'd assume there's real optimism because the idea of to have a bunch of Bungie, Apex Legends, Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinite, etc veterans making a new IP with Sony money and support in whatever they may need has a lot of potential.

They started the studio and project back in 2018, so they have been working almost 4 years on it. Consider 5-7 years of development since it's a new IP, the challenges of building a new studio/team, covid, etc. I think we'll see this game announced later this year and to see it released in a year or two after that.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Any multiplayer game that got started in 2018 (post BR boom) is really exciting. The new era approaches and this will certainly reflect that. "Memorable moments" is the gift that BR brought to multiplayer.

Top Bottom