• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: "Keeping it authentic: Atlus on the localisation process for Persona 5"

Yeah no... I am not even a native speaker and I found the translation to be clunky. There is a difference between authenticity and Google translate.

Cherry picking lines out of context is your definition of reasonable criticism?

Making the untrue accusation that people are trying to deceive others through selective examples doesn't help your argument. It undermines it.

I played for about 3 hours last night and the dialogue was poorly localized throughout the beginning of the game. Not in a few isolated instances. It was endemic.

I posted a few examples in the topic on the subject and others have posted more, which were not out of context or cherry picked. If you're going to keep insisting that everyone is lying then maybe you should consider the possibility that you are just wrong. That isn't cherry picking, it is acknowledging reality.

Nimby

Banned
Lol you 3 have the same Persona avatar

I'd say most of the people in here like Persona maybe even more than I do. And they think it's bad. So what's the point of that? I'm not trying to be a fanboy here.

There are some parts that are rough, but they're some genuinely good sections where the characters sound like they are talking to one another like actual humans. It's not all bad.

I have a friend who games shares with me, who tried out Persona 5 when I bought it. He's about as far in as I yet doesn't have any complaints about the lines. He usually never plays anything other than western RPGs or shooters so...

The quality has increased significantly since getting Yusuke. My biggest pet peeves with it before that though are just "wordiness"; who calls them "psychotic breakdowns" or "mental shutdowns" every time those specific subjects are brought up.

There are some parts that are rough, but they're some genuinely good sections where the characters sound like they are talking to one another like actual humans. It's not all bad.

The main characters in your posse are mostly okay-ish (though I wouldn't call it great dialogue). It's the side characters, especially characters they tried to write in a formal kind of style, that are really terrible. The principal, the prosecutor, Igor, even the gym teacher - pretty much all their dialogue is terrible. I'm over 12 hours in and still find a lot of the writing to be pretty bad. There's no cherry picking. This is a bad script overall. I think this would've been a pretty poor localization by late 90s standards tbh. In 2017, it's downright inexcusable and a super embarrassing effort. It reads like part machine translation, part non-native English speaker who's still in college doing his first freelance translation job.

Nimby

Banned
The main characters in your posse are mostly okay-ish (though I wouldn't call it great dialogue). It's the side characters, especially characters they tried to write in a formal kind of style, that are really terrible. The principal, the prosecutor, Igor, even the gym teacher - pretty much all their dialogue is terrible. I'm over 12 hours in and still find a lot of the writing to be pretty bad. There's no cherry picking. This is a bad script overall. I think this would've been a pretty poor localization by late 90s standards tbh. In 2017, it's downright inexcusable and a super embarrassing effort. It reads like part machine translation, part non-native English speaker who's still in college doing his first freelance translation job.

The next 'villain' is a lot better than those and Kamoshida. I didn't imply cherry picking, I thought it was rough at the start but it's gradually getting better here (25 hours).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It boasted the most number of translators and editors on a team, and everyone spent countless nights making the English version of P5 a reality.

Is it just me or is this sentence weird?

convo

The translation isn't much of a concern to me who is just playing the game and liking the sound of voices i understand. My own preferences in word use and pronouncation could turn out to be completly false at which point i declared languages a lost cause on me back in highschool.
I do appreciate people with more knowledge in that field breaking down what good translations are and the philosophy behind it. I can go that's cool and keep on trucking along with what i have.

Curufinwe

Cherry picking lines out of context is your definition of reasonable criticism?

What's the context that explains this line?

7E7CE087-658D-41BF-8030-6A650CA999E3.jpg

What's weird is that this guy has been staff at Atlus for ages...Pretty sure he was involved in the first Arena game, for instance, and that was totally fine. Maybe there were just too many cooks in the kitchen this time?

This is an example of phrasing i don't seem bothered by, but apparantly a native english speaker can shed some light on more naturaly sounding lines.

It works, but the issue is it's a bit stilted... "Serious about killing us" is clearer.

Yeah no... I am not even a native speaker and I found the translation to be clunky. There is a difference between authenticity and Google translate.

Nah, google translate is SAO Hollow Fragment. Now that was terrible.

convo

It works, but the issue is it's a bit stilted... "Serious about killing us" is clearer.

Things that go beyond grammar and into speaking experience are things i have been slacking on since i mostly talk to people who speak in broken english in person.
People can demand better, it's when people get way into the nitty gritty of word meanings of the japanese into english where i get weirded out and just nod to who ever seems to know what's going on.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The end there, "... serious to kill us!" is straight up Engrish. It's such a shame these few spots ruin an otherwise fantastic experience.

Is it just me or is this sentence weird?

My grammar isn't the greatest, but I think it's the use of a gerund, 'making', instead of a to + infinitive, 'to make'.

So, it ends up meaning that during each of the countless nights the English version was made a reality, rather than over all of them.

Fjordson

This is an example of phrasing i don't seem bothered by, but apparantly a native english speaker can shed some light on more naturaly sounding lines.
Serious about killing us would work. No one would ever say "serious to kill us".

Curufinwe

Another example of a small change that would make it sound natural, but perhaps they ran out of room in text box.

"...and are seriously trying to kill us."

RRockman

Banned

It's super stiff. I would have probably gone with

"It means they aren't holding back at all! It's do or die!"

But I don't really know about the character's personality or the exact context and both of those matter.

PixelatedBookake

Tbh I've been playing for like, 30 hours and barely noticed anything. Considering the game's scope, I'll let a few things slide all things considered. This shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the game.

Another example of a small change that would make it sound natural, but perhaps they ran out of room in text box.

"...and are seriously trying to kill us."

I swear, if this is the problem, I'm gonna eat a hat.

Based on how the text boxes are designed, I wouldn't be surprised there's a hard limit or something.

On the other hand, some of the text boxes look like there's too much text, so....

jjonez18

That's my impression after about 12 hours of gameplay. 1 or 2 that I had to re read. Nothing offensive or completely out of line though.

Who knows, maybe it gets worse.

Seems like they should've had one exclusively English speaker just read over all the lines at the end to clean up the odd phrasing into actual normal English sentences.

Still, most of these are still very understandable, just...strange.

Arkeband

Banned
What's the context that explains this line?

7E7CE087-658D-41BF-8030-6A650CA999E3.jpg

I've been more annoyed at some line deliveries that totally fail on intonation because they're reading them all individually, without any context of the previous or following lines.

I expect a talking cat to talk funny.

Ryuji has been the best VA thus far. I like the Papa Nier/Ovan VA too, but he's had some clunker lines.

I swear, if this is the problem, I'm gonna eat a hat.

Based on how the text boxes are designed, I wouldn't be surprised there's a hard limit or something.

On the other hand, some of the text boxes look like there's too much text, so....

You can just shift the word order to get something that at least sounds better:

It means they're serious and are
holding nothing back to kill us!

You can just shift the word order to get something that at least sounds better:

It means they're serious and are
holding nothing back to kill us!

It can really be shortened further, as "they're serious" and "holding nothing back" are saying the same thing.

So more like "It means they want to kick our ass!" or "It means they want us dead."

My feeling is Atlus did not do an editing pass on much of this text after they got it back from the translation house they use.

I wish we'd stop posting those dialogue boxes with no regard to who said it and what context. The "answer your expectations of me" line is bad, but it's a semi-professional conversation between a teacher and the principal, the teacher pretty slimy. So it isn't the worst thing in the world. It's not like the MC is talking to his friends.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

The use of the word 'serious' is awkward and is the real issue in that line. You can still glean the context and intent, but it's improperly phrased. "They mean to kill/attack/harm us"or "are serious about killing us" would be more ideal.

I've run into far worse stuff so far than that. Someone needs to screen cap like the entire initial interrogation sequence and responses. That was a true mess and I don't see it posted yet.

luffeN

tl;dr: people are way too concerned with whether the translated text covers all of the words in the original text, when that isn't what's important.
Ah okay, yeah, that is not important for lore/story/dialogue and this kind of stuff. There needs to be a good balance. between interpretation and accuracy.

Top Bottom