• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS Blog] PlayStation 5: Launch Day Ordering Update (online only, in-store pickup, no campers)

DonJorginho

Banned

Sid Shuman (Senior Director of SIE Content Communications):

Hi all – the launch of the PlayStation 5 console on November 12 (or November 19, depending on your region) is almost upon us! In the interest of keeping our gamers, retailers, and staff safe amidst COVID-19, today we are confirming that all day-of launch sales will be conducted through the online stores of our retail partners.

No units will be available in-store for purchase on launch day (November 12 or November 19, depending on your region) – please don’t plan on camping out or lining up at your local retailer on launch day in hopes of finding a PS5 console for purchase. Be safe, stay home, and place your order online.

Gamers who have pre-ordered for pick-up at their local retailer should still be able to do so at their designated appointment time, under the retailer’s safety protocols. Please confirm the details with your local retailer.

A special thank you to our entire community for your continued support this year. Here’s to the next generation of gaming!

ps5-featured.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so i´ll just order games online as well, since there will be nobody who is desperate to get a ps5 and waits for a miracle in store i could parade around and make fun of... sad but i´ll get over it. Or maybe scalp the system?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Whoever is in charge of writing these blogs needs to be sacked.

First paragraph to this paragraph confuse people:

“Gamers who have pre-ordered for pick-up at their local retailer should still be able to do so at their designated appointment time, under the retailer’s safety protocols. Please confirm the details with your local retailer. “

They’ve done an awful job with BC news and now this. Get someone who can write Playstation....

azz0r

Banned
So I'm understanding this;

They are basically saying that the traditional camp out and get it at midnight is dead, and no non-preorder stock will be on hand at launch.

Really this changes nothing right? I'll still be picking mine up in store on the morning of launch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whoever is in charge of writing these blogs needs to be sacked.

First paragraph to this paragraph confuse people:

“Gamers who have pre-ordered for pick-up at their local retailer should still be able to do so at their designated appointment time, under the retailer’s safety protocols. Please confirm the details with your local retailer. “

They’ve done an awful job with BC news and now this. Get someone who can write Playstation....

Those are the retailers doing this. The retailers don't want people camping out and having chaos.

Target announced this last week.

So I'm understanding this;

They are basically saying that the traditional camp out and get it at midnight is dead, and no non-preorder stock will be on hand at launch.

Really this changes nothing right? I'll still be picking mine up in store on the morning of launch.

Pretty much. You want one, you do in-store pickup for launch day stock if you're fast enough in your area. No camping.

I would assume that more rural areas have a better chance, just as you would traditionally as well.

Last edited:

RookX22

wasn't it 2 months ago?
Wow so helpful. Let me rephrase the question. I wonder when they will sale the in-store stock or stock they allocated for in-store sales. Maybe they don't have any stock at all but why do they say purchase online during release day?

A2una1

I wouldn't have lined up this time anyway. I remeber on PS4 launch I had several days off, and my amazon pre-order was canceled somehow. I went to an nearby electronics market wich was confirmed on having 10 ps4's at launch. I went there and waited from 4am till 10am when the store opens up. At first we were 5 or so people, but when the store opens we were 300 or so. I was first in line so I said to myself "well this is gonna turn out exactly as planned". When the store opens the majority of people ran in from the exit of the store and snatched the ps4s... I was still standing buffled at the entry :messenger_grinning_sweat: . So no PS4 for me at launch.... never will do this again :messenger_winking:.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow so helpful. Let me rephrase the question. I wonder when they will sale the in-store stock or stock they allocated for in-store sales. Maybe they don't have any stock at all but why do they say purchase online during release day?
Here is one retailer saying they will have launch day stock.

Kokoloko85

Those are the retailers doing this. The retailers don't want people camping out and having chaos.

Target announced this last week.

Pretty much. You want one, you do in-store pickup for launch day stock if you're fast enough in your area. No camping.

I would assume that more rural areas have a better chance, just as you would traditionally as well.

Maybe the tweet made it sound worse. Sounded like online orders were going to get there PS5

RookX22

I don't think you will be able to walk in and buy one from the wording. I think they are implying that they want you to order online and pick up on store.

Ellery

I do wonder that too. Sorry I can't be of more help I thought the entire stock was sold out and there are no more units available at launch.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't think you will be able to walk in and buy one from the wording. I think they are implying that they want you to order online and pick up on store.

Pretty much. No camping and no consoles in store. Sony probably asked retailers to provide them specifically of how many pre-orders they got and they’ll provide retailers with that many consoles only.

It’s like Sony is trying their hardest for us to not purchase their console. No problemo, Sony, I won’t and I wasn’t going to anyway (this year at least).

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I would think this would be great news for those of us who pre-ordered already.
Surely retailers would be obligated to using that allotment to fulfill existing orders before new ones placed on the 12th?

ManaByte

No units will be available in-store for purchase on launch day (November 12 or November 19, depending on your region) – please don’t plan on camping out or lining up at your local retailer on launch day in hopes of finding a PS5 console for purchase. Be safe, stay home, and place your order online.

Why?

COVID hasn't stopped masses of people going out in public for marches, rallies, protests or "other things", and that's been the case since June. Hell, the U.S is letting people with COVID go out in public to vote! So if we're to believe the (bogus) reports that somehow, there's been no spike in cases among all these thousands of people congregating at various protests and rallies, marches etc. (that happen to lean a certain way politically, I might add)...why are we suddenly worried there'll be a spike of cases from a few hundred people otherwise following the mask protocols at Gamestops and Best Buys to pick up units in person?

This kind of feels like a subtle reinforcement of rumors surrounding low launch numbers especially for markets they aren't prioritizing immediately. The fact the console is sold out yet people can still order peripherals is sort of a giveaway. If you don't have any amount of stock beyond what you allotted to preorders (and even had to cancel some preorders!), best to simply take orders online where you can guarantee a shipment within three months time, eh? But of course, put anything behind the excuse of COVID and it's suddenly a "moral, righteous, smart" thing to do.

Like I get it: take precautions. But is anyone considering the employees at the brick-and-mortar stores who'll be losing hours (and therefore money) from not being able to sell units in stores? Pretty sure those employees are going to be struggling even more than they already were due to lack of business since you've got a hardware provider telling everyone to not even bother going to those places to buy the new system. Why are people okay with this normalization of non-normal, anti-social behavior and procedures? Why are governments getting shut down again for a virus that's been scientifically proven only responsible for 6% of the deaths directly attributed to it? Is anyone else looking at this from the bigger picture?

But here we are, masses of people lapping it up as mega-conglomerates (who simply want your money at the end of the day) being the "good guy" and emotionally concerned. As long as they shake a piece of shiny plastic in front of their faces they'll lap up anything, huh?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I appreciate them coming out and saying this. I'm sure people are STILL going to wait at physical locations, which is unfortunate. But at least now they can say they told the public not to.

So there will be some stock for non-preorders?

I thought they said no units on launch day at all. That's nice, I can still hope to snag one somewhere online.

Codeblew

This isn't true. I just checked my works database (I am a software developer) and we are sending 10+ disc units to every store. Some stores already have them early due to logistic reasons. The discless version is in the system but we have none in the warehouses.

Why?

COVID hasn't stopped masses of people going out in public for marches, rallies, protests or "other things", and that's been the case since June. Hell, the U.S is letting people with COVID go out in public to vote! So if we're to believe the (bogus) reports that somehow, there's been no spike in cases among all these thousands of people congregating at various protests and rallies, marches etc. (that happen to lean a certain way politically, I might add)...why are we suddenly worried there'll be a spike of cases from a few hundred people otherwise following the mask protocols at Gamestops and Best Buys to pick up units in person?

This kind of feels like a subtle reinforcement of rumors surrounding low launch numbers especially for markets they aren't prioritizing immediately. The fact the console is sold out yet people can still order peripherals is sort of a giveaway. If you don't have any amount of stock beyond what you allotted to preorders (and even had to cancel some preorders!), best to simply take orders online where you can guarantee a shipment within three months time, eh? But of course, put anything behind the excuse of COVID and it's suddenly a "moral, righteous, smart" thing to do.

Like I get it: take precautions. But is anyone considering the employees at the brick-and-mortar stores who'll be losing hours (and therefore money) from not being able to sell units in stores? Pretty sure those employees are going to be struggling even more than they already were due to lack of business since you've got a hardware provider telling everyone to not even bother going to those places to buy the new system. Why are people okay with this normalization of non-normal, anti-social behavior and procedures? Why are governments getting shut down again for a virus that's been scientifically proven only responsible for 6% of the deaths directly attributed to it? Is anyone else looking at this from the bigger picture?

But here we are, masses of people lapping it up as mega-conglomerates (who simply want your money at the end of the day) being the "good guy" and emotionally concerned. As long as they shake a piece of shiny plastic in front of their faces they'll lap up anything, huh?

If some people are so selfish, moroning, stupid and violent that they go rioting when they should not, it doesnt mean that nobody should not try to limit it. Stupid rioters, party people and other bastards have already killed enough people so it is good that PS5 is online only as it would definetly cause riots+partying+madness in the same time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Better question is: why didnt goverments of all the countries that had terrorists and idiots rioting around just used all the force is needed to stop it? Just give out public notice "go to riots? then you will be jailed, try to fight? you will can be shot or gassed". And then people whom do it = they ask for it.

And it looks like you think that covid is a joke, so there is no hope.

demigod

This isn't true. I just checked my works database (I am a software developer) and we are sending 10+ disc units to every store. Some stores already have them early due to logistic reasons. The discless version is in the system but we have none in the warehouses.

Pretty sure what they meant is you can only buy it online and pick it up. You can’t walk into the store to buy it.

Top Bottom