• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS Blog] PlayStation 5: Launch Day Ordering Update (online only, in-store pickup, no campers)

Oddspeak

An understandable decision, considering a pandemic is happening and is worse than ever despite the fact everyone SHOULD know better than to fuck around outside for anything non-essential.

But I don't look forward to bots sweeping up units for months to come.

On Demand

Banned
I don’t see the point of this even with covid. How are stores going to regulate thousands of people going into store to pick up their orders? A waiting list and time frame doesn’t work since that would take days to set up individual people picking their PS5.

My bet is on launch day you’re still going to see hundred of people at retail stores to pick up the PS5. You can’t spread out that many people. It would take a long time.

I don’t see the point of this even with covid. How are stores going to regulate thousands of people going into store to pick up their orders? A waiting list and time frame doesn’t work since that would take days to set up individual people picking their PS5.

My bet is on launch day you’re still going to see hundred of people at retail stores to pick up the PS5. You can’t spread out that many people. It would take a long time.

Best Buy already does this with in-store pickup, what do you mean?

On Demand

Banned
Best Buy already does this with in-store pickup, what do you mean?

That’s a random set of orders. This a launch day of new console that’s been pre ordered by thousands of people. How are they going fill those orders without people going to the store in droves? Individually settings appointments is going to take along time.

On Demand

Banned
And online only orders on launch day is basically useless. Site crashes and scalpers will make sure of that.

This has to be the worse year for console launches.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Fine by me. At least some slight chance of scoring one with bits/scalpers spread out with it sounding like Walmart, Target and others are doing online orders for in store pickup so at least can just compete with people spamming your local stores‘ inventory than everyone foot after the same online delivery stock.

Probably a slim chance, but I’m too old and don’t care enough to line up, camp out etc anyway. Not the end of the world if I don’t get one for a few months, but I don’t mind refreshing some store pages a few times on the 12th and trying my luck. Especially if they all announce set times like Wal-mart did.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So more of a soft launch?

Nah, regular launch, just not wanting any of this.

SaCw.gif

That’s a random set of orders. This a launch day of new console that’s been pre ordered by thousands of people. How are they going fill those orders without people going to the store in droves? Individually settings appointments is going to take along time.

They are not selling consoles to people on launch day without a pre-order. At least that is the understanding that I got from reading the blog post.

Codeblew

Pretty sure what they meant is you can only buy it online and pick it up. You can’t walk into the store to buy it.
This company wouldn't make it so you had to order something online to come pick up in the store. It makes no sense to do that. There are always over 100 people in these stores at a time anyway. It is technically an "essential" business.

Who isn't?

There will be stores with launch day stock outside of pre-orders.

Besides target, which stores have confirmed that?

I don't think people realize just how limited the stock is for this console. I guarantee that Target will be a shit show.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Besides target, which stores have confirmed that?

I don't think people realize just how limited the stock is for this console. I guarantee that Target will be a shit show.

Walmart confirmed it, along with actual times slots to lessen the load.

Best Buy as well via sales flyers for next week.

On Demand

Banned
They are not selling consoles to people on launch day without a pre-order. At least that is the understanding that I got from reading the blog post.

Yes and people with pre orders number in the thousands. I’m curious to see how they handle that cause there’s no case where there won’t be a lot of people on launch day picking up their PS5. Which to me makes this covid safety thing moot. 🤷‍♂️

Yes and people with pre orders number in the thousands. I’m curious to see how they handle that cause there’s no case where there won’t be a lot of people on launch day picking up their PS5. Which to me makes this covid safety thing moot. 🤷‍♂️

I agree but they still have to be careful here because the last thing they want is for people to get covid while camping outside the stores for a console. Sony and none of these retailers want to be responsible for something like that, which is why they released this statement.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah they’re just avoiding having huge crowds camping and lining up. Doing online orders for in-store/curbside pick up will limit that (some won’t be aware and will still show up at opening etc).

I also think stick will be quite limited. The online stock trackers (popfndr etc) are showing licks targets having no more than 20 (many with 0 or 6, but it’s been updating daily). And I’m in a big city area. So it may not be that many pick up orders to deal with, though they of course have in site pick up preorders to get handed over too.

Neofire

Pretty sure what they meant is you can only buy it online and pick it up. You can’t walk into the store to buy it.
Exactly, people can't read context correctly these days.

These online orders will be for local customers. Hence why they will have stock but won't have walk in purchases. Would make no sense to send all those ps5 to stores from the warehouse only to send them back out across the country when people order them.

On Demand

Banned
I agree but they still have to be careful here because the last thing they want is for people to get covid while camping outside the stores for a console. Sony and none of these retailers want to be responsible for something like that, which is why they released this statement.

There’s also online orders you can buy and pick up too at launch. On top of pre orders.

Just like when pre orders went live, none of this is going to play like Sony or retailers think.

Can someone explain this simply...

So I’m in U.K. Do I log into to the usual stores (Smyths / Argos etc) at midnight the day before launch and try and buy plus pay for it then in the morning go down and pick it up from the store?

Is that how this is going to work?

//DEVIL//

Figured as much. That's what Best Buy Canada is doing for both the Series S|X and PS5 launches here.
Yeah they just posted an ad in the store that there is no in-store pick up for the PlayStation 5 and XSX. That means They probably won't have them in the store even. shipped from the warehouse directly.

HarryKS

Wonder how long will have to wait until someone can find one in-store. Might be until next year the way things are going.

So there will be some stock for non-preorders?

I thought they said no units on launch day at all. That's nice, I can still hope to snag one somewhere online.
Lol what? That has never been the case before. Actually I remember them saying there should be plenty stock at launch, they had just limited pre-orders number.

Can someone explain this simply...

So I’m in U.K. Do I log into to the usual stores (Smyths / Argos etc) at midnight the day before launch and try and buy plus pay for it then in the morning go down and pick it up from the store?

Is that how this is going to work?
Exactly. You will be able to buy a PS5 on the 12th, even if you not pre-ordered it, but you'll be able to do it online only. You then will be able to select in store pick up

Exactly. You will be able to buy a PS5 on the 12th, even if you not pre-ordered it, but you'll be able to do it online only. You then will be able to select in store pick up

Thanks, is that on the Sony site or just pick a retailer that’s near me and hopefully have luck in the online queue?

I had zero luck before and was hoping to walk in and grab one but then the 2nd lockdown f**ked that plan up

Last edited:
If some people are so selfish, moroning, stupid and violent that they go rioting when they should not, it doesnt mean that nobody should not try to limit it. Stupid rioters, party people and other bastards have already killed enough people so it is good that PS5 is online only as it would definetly cause riots+partying+madness in the same time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Better question is: why didnt goverments of all the countries that had terrorists and idiots rioting around just used all the force is needed to stop it? Just give out public notice "go to riots? then you will be jailed, try to fight? you will can be shot or gassed". And then people whom do it = they ask for it.

And it looks like you think that covid is a joke, so there is no hope.

You can't wage literal war against your own civilians, dude. Otherwise you lose what little democracy there's left. Too much of that's already been happening here in America as the police kept getting militarized, it was always a slippery slope.

You're clinging to excuses; there's ALWAYS been people doing dumb crap and breaking the law even when there was no pandemic. Did that stop companies in the past from operating as normal? No. Did countries fall apart as a result? Again, no.

I don't think COVID is a joke insofar as existing; we know it exists. What's a joke has been the claimed severity of the virus, and the responses from governments around the world treating it as more of a threat than it actually is. Most of the people suspectible to COVID already have health issues; either from poor diets, lack of exercise, illnesses gained through risky activity (hard illegal drug use, unprotected sex, etc.) or genetic conditions outside of someone's control. Only the last of those four is one I genuinely feel sorry for when it comes to someone contracting COVID, because whatever pre-existing condition that person may've had was in no way the result of some actions of their own.

Thing is though, people with pre-existing conditions are already at risk for a lot of other viruses too, including the regular flu, yet when the regular flu gets a LOT more people sick and has more deaths attributed to it as a result, we've never seen governments across the world literally shut everything down. Even Swine Flu IIRC had a higher mortality rate than COVID; that never got classified as a pandemic and governments never shut down for it, and it eventually went away.

That's what I mean when I say what I say in regards to COVID. The response has been absolutely overblown for what it actually is, and it's everyday people like you and I who are suffering the most due to these drastic responses (that ultimately benefit massive corporations and government).

GloveSlap

I get why theres no camping, but that sucks for people that weren't able to get an online order. That was always a nice option to have for the truly desperate.

Walmart having more stock online for November 10 makes me feel way better about my old preorder with them though.

Justin9mm

I wouldn't have lined up this time anyway. I remeber on PS4 launch I had several days off, and my amazon pre-order was canceled somehow. I went to an nearby electronics market wich was confirmed on having 10 ps4's at launch. I went there and waited from 4am till 10am when the store opens up. At first we were 5 or so people, but when the store opens we were 300 or so. I was first in line so I said to myself "well this is gonna turn out exactly as planned". When the store opens the majority of people ran in from the exit of the store and snatched the ps4s... I was still standing buffled at the entry :messenger_grinning_sweat: . So no PS4 for me at launch.... never will do this again :messenger_winking:.
What a shit store, they should of handled that better.. I got angry for you just reading that!

Last edited:
Thanks, is that on the Sony site or just pick a retailer that’s near me and hopefully have luck in the online queue?

I had zero luck before and was hoping to walk in and grab one but then the 2nd lockdown f**ked that plan up
Supposedly it should be the same for every retail partner. Best Buy said a couple hours ago that they wouldn't allow walk ins until 2021, so there's that. Expect the same for every authorized retailer.

carlosrox

Banned
Only took a sentence or two to pimp some COVID propoganda/virtue signaling.

Cool world we live in.

Due to the world ending COVID PANDEMIC that pandemiced us, the PandemicStation 5 won't be pandemiced in stores. You must pandemic online to secure your pandemic. Pandemic pandemic pandemic. Pan-DEMIC. COVID 4 LIFE Y'ALL.

I've never heard of COVID before. Can someone please mention it so I don't forget what it is please? I need to be reminded of it every 30 seconds. Thanks.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
Walmart will have more xboxes and PS5’s available online on their launch days.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned

This is just sony and stores trying to cover their asses.

Walmart will have more xboxes and PS5’s available online on their launch days.

Thanks walmart for letting ppl know when to set the bots for.

Last edited:

Orpheum

My country is under partial lockdown but the retailer i pre ordered from is still open. However i'm worried that they won't get enough units for everyone who pre ordered...

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They’re playing it safe. Imagine a mob of angry customers who say they got COVID and they didn’t even get a console. That isn’t Sony’s fault, but there are a lot of ways they could twist Sony’s arm over it.

Top Bottom