• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: PS3-to-PS4 Game Upgrade Details Confirmed

Cornbread78

Great deal, I wonder why people hate the thought of paying a cheaper rate ($10) for a next gen version, or having to use the code/disk....interesting... Good deal for everyone....

Huh, that's pretty smart. I can also now see a scenario where you use Gaikai and your PS3 discs to play them on your PS4... very interesting Sony (now make it work outside of the US lol)

That's offset by this quote two paragraphs down though...

...which is why there's still some discrepancy there. I commented on the blog, so hopefully they clarify this!

Disc =/= code

You can redeem the code as soon as you buy the PS3 game, but you can not play the discounted PS4 game without the PS3 disc.

def sim

ZmL5IP7.jpg

i've been sitting here waiting for the kool aid man

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So we need to insert the ps3 into the ps4 to play the ps4 version?

Gamers who purchase the digital version of any of these four games will not need to redeem a code to receive their PS4 versions. When your PS4 arrives, just look for the PS4 version of the game on PlayStation Store – it will appear on PlayStation Store on your PS4 for the discounted price of $9.99. Just purchase it and start playing!

So if we get it from the store we won't need to keep taking out the disc to play either version? hmmm

Very tempting

should tweet @YOSP. he might answer you faster than the blog.

Since there are the cut off dates to redeem the codes, I think the second quote means you can redeem the code before the end of the offer for the game even if you don't have a ps4 to download the ps4 version on yet. Then when you finally get the ps4, you'll still be able to pay the $10 price. You'll still the need disc to boot the game though.

But yeah, it needs to be clearer.

Yep. Found definitive proof elsewhere. Updated the OP.

Unfortunately it looks like you'll need the PS3 disc to play on the PS4. Getting both versions for $70 instead of $60 is nice, at least...will be helpful on Battlefield and CoD if you want to play multiplayer with friends that haven't upgraded to the new consoles yet, but still want to have the next-gen version.

On the 360/XB1 you get to trade a physical disc for a physical disc through select retailers. So you pay $70 and at the end of the day you have a next-gen game that you own.

On the PS3/PS4, at the end of the day you've paid $70 and you have a last-gen game that you own, and a next-gen game that you don't own.

Anybody who can't see how this is a worse deal, well, I guess you really like Sony.

(I have a PS4 preordered FYI, and am buying BF4 for it).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sorry your right. I'm paying an extra $10 for 1080p. Sounds like a swell deal.

Well if you just want to buy the PS3 version and never own the PS4 version you don't have to spend the money. A lot of people want to play the game when it comes out (BF4 for instance comes out 2.5 weeks before PS4 launch) but want to upgrade to the PS4 version when it's out so they no longer have to keep the PS3 plugged in.

Not hard to understand.

That's offset by this quote two paragraphs down though...

...which is why there's still some discrepancy there. I commented on the blog, so hopefully they clarify this!

there is none.

you can redeem the code at any time, and when you do, it flags your PSN account.

when the PS4 version is available, the network checks your account, it sees the flag, you get the special $9.99 price instead of the normal price.

if you want to *play* it, you need the PS3 disk in the drive to allow the PS4 version to launch.

Eusis

The digital versions should have been cross buy to encourage more digital sales.
I sort of expect we'll be seeing that once the dust settles some. Though it's probably hobbled by retailers who don't want to be undermined by digital... though if they cared that much they should be pushing for nicer packages than just digital pre-order crap that'd only push me more and more towards it as the packages become otherwise lame.

Still, $10 for an upgrade on a hot new title's not too bad, that's usually what it takes to get me to doubledip on Steam anyway.
I was meaning why not just wait a week or so and just get the next-gen version, but I realize this promotion is for those impatient folks lol.
Funnily enough the most relevant case for being impatient (Final Fantasy XIV) IS a free upgrade. Figures really.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
there is none.

you can redeem the code at any time.

it flags your PSN account.

when the PS4 version is available, the network checks your account, it sees the flag, you get the special price instead of the normal price.

you can buy it for $9.99

if you want to *play* it, you need the PS3 disk.

and what if we go digital?

Could someone play BF 4 on my ps3 while I'm Playing it on the ps4? (using different PSN accounts)

I would think so

DirtyLarry

how many of those games have transferable saves? That's the key.
This.
Honestly I think the price is more than fair myself, however if the save files do not transfer between both systems, I would not do it myself, as my gaming time is very limited these days. I will probably finish GTA V by end of the year hopefully (not kidding there), so I just do not have the luxury (or time) to play games twice.

Battlefield 4 is the exception however, as all the stats should stick since I believe those are server side regardless.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Not sure why this is such a big deal that it is $10 for you. Just don't buy the PS3 version and wait for the PS4 version if that is what you want.

On the 360/XB1 you get to trade a physical disc for a physical disc through select retailers. So you pay $70 and at the end of the day you have a next-gen game that you own and a last-gen game that you don't own.

On the PS3/PS4, at the end of the day you've paid $70 and you have a last-gen game that you own, and a next-gen game that you don't own.

Anybody who can't see how this is a worse deal, well, I guess you really like Sony.

Updated your first sentence to make it seem a little less biased in one direction.

Seems like a matter of perspective to me. With the XBOX One version you have just a next-gen copy after you upgrade and you give back your last-gen copy.

With PS4, you still have the right to play both copies just by holding onto the PS3 disc.

I'd prefer to get a new PS4 disc and case for the upgrade, but this isn't a bad offer...especially if you like multiplayer games and you're the only one of your friends upgrading to the new consoles. Then you can at least go back and play on PS3 sometimes and play on PS4 when you want.

Jonboy

For me, it all depends on whether or not you have to keep the PS3 disc permanently. Is it just a one-time activation and then you're done? Or would I have to put the PS3 disc in every single time to play the digital PS4 game?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was meaning why not just wait a week or so and just get the next-gen version, but I realize this promotion is for those impatient folks lol.

Yeah, like I said the only game I'm thinking of doing it for is Battlefield, as it comes out 2.5 weeks before the PS4 launches.

That fact you are required to keep the ps3 game to play the ps4 game has caused me to loose interest in this offer, however amazon .Co .UK just announced a decent upgrade offer which actually interests me more even before this was offer was fleshed out.

Vire

Not everyone is buying a console on launch day.

Well sucks to be that person doesn't it?

But don’t wait: This program lasts for a limited time. You’ll need to redeem your code and make the purchase before January 31st, 2014 (for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch_Dogs), March 28th (for Battlefield 4), or March 31st (for Call of Duty: Ghosts) in order to participate.

Seems pretty silly to me. Just wait two weeks and then play the superior version.

8byte

Banned

It should definitely be free. Not sure how anyone could call this a good deal.

Entitlement evidence, lol.

"I didn't want to wait to just buy the PS4 version, so I should get both versions for the price of one!"

Jesus...

Edit: Also, :lol at the people who are upset that they can't exploit this and get next gen versions for dirt cheap by purchasing current gen, selling, and redeeming the code. Absolutely absurd, lol.

On the 360/XB1 you get to trade a physical disc for a physical disc through select retailers. So you pay $70 and at the end of the day you have a next-gen game that you own.

Why don't you own the game just because it is digital? If you're trying to say that one day the store could go down forever and then you're unable to retrieve it to play it, fine, say that it is an encumbrance, but that does not mean you do not own the game.

Doesn't matter which system you are getting, the better deal is a matter of opinion and not fact.

For me, it all depends on whether or not you have to keep the PS3 disc permanently. Is it just a one-time activation and then you're done? Or would I have to put the PS3 disc in every single time to play the digital PS4 game?

gonna guess that you have to keep the disk. i mean, if not, you could just buy the game, grab the code, immediately resell it and then Redbox the disk to activate.

I'd prefer to get a new PS4 disc and case for the upgrade, but this isn't a bad offer...especially if you like multiplayer games and you're the only one of your friends upgrading to the new consoles. Then you can at least go back and play on PS3 sometimes and play on PS4 when you want.

I can't really imagine wanting to go back and play the old games, but that's just me.

Bottom line is in the US, Microsoft (through a bunch of retailers like Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) is allowing you to trade disc for disc, and Sony is only allowing you to do a crippled digital upgrade (what's the point of digital when you need a disc?).

I guess for some people the Sony deal is as good or better, but in my world it is definitely worse. I've certainly known for a while that I'm not as big into this digital future as some people are.

That fact you are required to keep the ps3 game to play the ps4 game has caused me to loose interest in this offer, however amazon .Co .UK just announced a decent upgrade offer which actually interests me more even before this was offer was fleshed out.

Whats that offer? I was planning to get BF4 from Amazon UK.

That's not true as there are also retail trade-in programmes in addition to this.

But the availability of said programmes vary from country-to-country.

I'd also argue that even if it was just the two methods you outline that the PS3/PS4 one is better because you can access either game. Whilst you need to retain the PS3 copy, it makes no difference to retaining a PS4 copy, for all intents and purposes the PS3 disc is your PS4 disc and it also gives you the freedom to play on the PS3 if you want to play COD with friends who do not have the PS4 yet, etc.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well sucks to be that person doesn't it?

Seems pretty silly to me. Just wait two weeks and then play the superior version.

You can redeem the code on PS3 so there's no need to wait until you have a PS4 to redeem it. I'm guessing your purchase history will transfer over.

For those of you who purchase the PS3 disc version of the games, you do not need a PS4 system to redeem your code, so feel free to redeem it as soon as you pick up your PS3 copy — you can download your digital copy later when your PS4 arrives.

sense

if you don't like then just get the ps4 version for 10$ cheaper.....i don't get this entitlement stuff. publishers are spending money to make a ps4 version with unique controller features in the case of ps4 and the game is going to look better and obviously it would be smarter to wait and get the ps4 version but not everyone is going to buy the console right away. all you need is to activate the ps4 version before january via the app or the store and then when you get ps4 sometime next year you can get the upgraded version for 10$ and that is a nice feature and cheap upgrade program.

To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!
What the fuck is this shit?

Top Bottom