• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: PS3-to-PS4 Game Upgrade Details Confirmed

Some details about Sony's current to next-gen upgrade plan are finally coming out.

Gamers who purchase the digital version of any of these four games [Battlefield 4, CoD Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, & AC4] will not need to redeem a code to receive their PS4 versions. When your PS4 arrives, just look for the PS4 version of the game on PlayStation Store – it will appear on PlayStation Store on your PS4 for the discounted price of $9.99. Just purchase it and start playing!

There's some discrepancy in the article about how physical games will work, although it'll still be $10 for sure. (Nevermind, see update below...)

More on the PlayStation Blog.

Games: Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4

Edited into quote above as well. Thanks, demosthenes.

Update:

Went poking around in the "step-by-step" instructions found here and came across this...

8P7OOrY.jpg

Specific Text: **PS3™ game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4™ system.

Lasdrub

That's not so bad.

edit: No Diablo 3! Maybe that's because it's already out. I hope Sony and Blizzard can work something out.

V_Ben

Banned
Having to have the ps3 disc in to play the discounted ps4 version is smart. Prevents people from grabbing a cheap next gen version, and then flooding the market with pre owned copies of current gen games.

To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!

Screw this. If I can never give away the PS3 version, or trade it, or sell it, this is no deal.

sono

Article states this relates to:

Battlefield 4
Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag,
Call of Duty: Ghosts
and
Watch_Dogs,

When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the same game from PlayStation Store when it becomes available, at the discounted price of $9.99.

Screw this. If I can never give away the PS3 version, or trade it, or sell it, this is no deal.

That's offset by this quote two paragraphs down though...

For those of you who purchase the PS3 disc version of the games, you do not need a PS4 system to redeem your code, so feel free to redeem it as soon as you pick up your PS3 copy — you can download your digital copy later when your PS4 arrives.

...which is why there's still some discrepancy there. I commented on the blog, so hopefully they clarify this!

Bishop89

God, with the prices of the digital games, i could probably buy both the ps3 and ps4 version for the price of the digital ps3 version + $10 extra bucks (thats 10 US dollars, its probably gonna be more for us australians, if we even get this option)

Yeah, you're right. It is totally unfair that you can't game the system in order to get a Next Gen launch game for 10 bucks, and sell the last gen version.

I mean, come on dude. This is a pretty great deal if you can't wait for these games.

eh. the release dates are so close i guess it doesn't affect me since i'm buying a ps4 at launch so i won't bother with the ps3 version. i guess it would affect those that didn't plan to buy a ps4 later down the road i guess.

zewone

Gamers who purchase a PS3 Blu-ray Disc of these four games will find a code packed into the PS3 version that they can redeem on PlayStation Store. To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!

Samyy

It should definitely be free. Not sure how anyone could call this a good deal.

What the fuck why? It obviously costs money to port the games, people worked on that. This is really only for incredibly desperate people who can't wait two-three weeks anyway.

Lasdrub

I like this idea because it makes me feel better about buying current gen games if I decide to wait on a PS4. It doesn't make sense for people buying a PS4 at launch, so don't think of it that way. It needs to expand to more games, though.

Eusis

Why would I pay $10 extra dollars?
To play a game early!

This falls apart on Watch Dogs if you were buying a PS4 at launch in NA though, going by Amazon you'd just get the PS3 version LATER, thus only useful to those who really wanted to compare the versions. Personally I'll only try BF3 some more, try the beta, and if I want the game MAYBE I'll do it, it's probably a better comparison game in that I don't have to redo significant SP progress to get the full view of how improved it is.

Vol5

What the fuck why? It obviously costs money to port the games, people worked on that. This is really only for incredibly desperate people who can't wait two-three weeks anyway.

So I buy a cut down version for £40 on PS3, then pay an extra £10 to buy the next-gen version?

I've cross-buy games on my Vita. Why is this any different? These publishers make a fucking fortune and they still want an extra $10 on top of what you have already paid. yeah.

bluehat9

That's offset by this quote two paragraphs down though...

...which is why there's still some discrepancy there. I commented on the blog, so hopefully they clarify this!

Since there are the cut off dates to redeem the codes, I think the second quote means you can redeem the code before the end of the offer for the game even if you don't have a ps4 to download the ps4 version on yet. Then when you finally get the ps4, you'll still be able to pay the $10 price. You'll still the need disc to boot the game though.

But yeah, it needs to be clearer.

Top Bottom