• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS: Dynamic Res XB1 Games Like Halo 5 Should Render at 1080p at All Times on Scorpio

Halo_Guardians.png

From Phil Spencer's interview with gamesindustries.biz.

There are games that were written on Xbox One, and we continue to evangelize this tech of dynamic scaling - Halo 5's a good example - when Halo 5 runs it wants to max out at 1080p/60 frames per second or highest resolution/60 frames per second. As scenes get more complex, the vertical resolution will shrink... to keep the 60 frames per second. When that same game's running on Scorpio, because of the compute capability, it's effectively is going to run at its max resolution the whole time. And so you will see advantages like that when your Xbox One games are running on Scorpio. So that's why we continue to talk to developers about dynamic scaling because I think as compute capability goes up on the hardware, they kind of get it for free. Now, it's not going to make Halo 5 run with 4K pixels. The frame buffer is not a 4K frame buffer for the game. But it will run more solidly. And certain developers might go back and decide if they've built a 4K version for PC already for some of their games, they might go back and decide to enable a 4K version for the Scorpio Xbox when it launches.

Yes, another Phil Spencer thread but this is something I know myself and a couple other folk were wondering. Please lock it up if we're reached peaked Phil Spencer.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Yeah this is pretty cool. Shannon Loftis was saying in an interview that they are suggesting more developers add dynamic res to their games so Scorpio can later take advantage of it.

I think Dynamic Resolution as a strategy will get more and more important as more hardware platforms start getting introduced. Of course, there should still be an option to select a Static Resolution and incur the FPS penalties concomitant with that, a' la PC games today.

Akai__

Called it.

Great to hear. I think this is a rather interesting tech and I wonder if that's a better solution than optimizing the game for each console iteration individually?

Freeman

Banned
No half steps, from sub 1080p to 4K in 4 years.

For real tho, dynamic resolution is a cool solution, I wonder why it isn't used more.

will this improve the weird half frame rate enemies?

Would be nice, but I suspect somethings may need to get re-written for that to be more smooth. Tho...yo, them enemies be looking funny af from far lol.

OT though, that is very nice to hear, makes a lot of sense. I quite excited for this new consoles.

But i thought you said if i own a Scorpio on a 1080p tele there's no advantage! J/K

it's obvious Scorpio is going to bring lots of advantages to all games. I'm super excited, very happy. Can't wait to own my Scorpio.

If a dynamic resolution is something we're going to see more of it's going to be really interesting to see what resolution Xbox One games output at after Christmas 2017, same for the Neo and PS4 as well.

But i thoughty ou said if i own a Scorpio on a 4k tele there's no advantage! J/K

it's obvious Scorpio is going to bring lots of advantages to all games. I'm super excited, very happy. Can't wait to own my Scorpio.

This sounds good. Really makes me wonder why he said what he said to Eurogamer then, because all that confusion was for no reason.

Synth

Yeah this is pretty cool. Shannon Loftis was saying in an interview that they are suggesting more developers add dynamic res to their games so Scorpio can later take advantage of it.

The best thing about this isn't even Scorpio seeing the benefits. It that even on the weaker machine we won't have to deal with shit framerates.

Yeah I knew this would be the case for games with dynamic resolutions, it makes sense if there's more GPU power to play with.

Games with an unlocked frame-rate like Until Dawn and Infamous Second Son on the PS4 will also run at higher frame-rates if the CPU can keep up.

Has anyone stopped and thought about why Phil Spencer and PlayStation have the same initials?

1408.gif

But a lot of games on ps4 wouldn't have this problem at all but would also go to 1080p and solid 60fps right?

I'd like to hope they would be able to get a 1080p/60fps at a solid mark on the scorpio and higher assets.

mosdl

Called it.

Great to hear. I think this is a rather interesting tech and I wonder if that's a better solution than optimizing the game for each console iteration individually?

You still have to optimize the game. Scorpio can just brute force it since its so much more powerful than a xbone is.

geordiemp

Its good that dynamic res games (Mainly Frostbite but there are others) should upscale without a patch. same for Neo.

You cannot guarantee because maybe the target for Xb1 games was 900p, I feel more comfortable with Neo for this as base ps4 games were 1080p target anyway.

Problem is we probably only need a 2.5 - 3 TF machine to do this 1080p all the time.

The TF arms race is a bit silly really, just give me a better CPU for dat frame rate.

Plasma

Banned
I still hope they go back and patch some games to take advantage of the better hardware. They use Halo 5 as an example but one of the things that will still be present even with Scorpio is the animation will still look jerky for anything in the distance because of the way that engine handles it currently.

Called it.

You still need to optimize it. It's like emulating a Wii game on a computer with a Titan X. It's just brute forcing that game so it doesn't matter. For newer games that want to take full advantage (think Uncharted 4 reveal level graphics at 1080/60) you still need to optimize.

geordiemp

I still hope they go back and patch some games to take advantage of the better hardware. They use Halo 5 as an example but one of the things that will still be present even with Scorpio is the animation will still look jerky for anything in the distance because of the way that engine handles it currently.

Think first party will just to help sell the new consoles, and a few select developers who really care (Thinking about Witcher 3 and CPDR).

Omg second son is going to look AMAZING!

Yeah second son was 1080 but struggled to get to 60 FPS (you had choice of locking at 30 or not). It should ramp up sweetly assuming there is a 60 cap....MMM that could be an issue..

Maybe we will need a frame rate limiter on console lol

Wow what a news, it should be the minimum for a 6 tflops Premium console

It's like like saying a Ferrari should be faster than a bycicle

naitosan

That's what I like to hear, so it's pretty awesome to know all Xbox One games you have won't go waste. They'll just 'remaster' them on fly on Scorpio via patch.

dealer-

That's what I like to hear, so it's pretty awesome to know all Xbox One games you have won't go waste. They'll just 'remaster' them on fly on Scorpio via patch.

I wonder if this will happen for third party titles too, would be great to play Dark Souls 3 with some improvements.

Think first party will just to help sell the new consoles, and a few select developers who really care (Thinking about Witcher 3 and CPDR).

the rest who knows.

TBH I'm not expecting CDPR to update Witcher 3 for Scorpio/Neo. I imagine that would take a lot of resources and they'll be deep into Cyperpunk 2077 development. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

Akai__

You still have to optimize the game. Scorpio can just brute force it since its so much more powerful than a xbone is.

Maybe I expressed myself wrong. When devs talked about the idea of Neo versions of Playstation 4 games, they said they don't like the though of it, because they would be required to make essentially 2 versions of the same game. One which runs optimal for PS4 and one which runs better for PS4 Neo (apply this to the Xbox One and Scorpio now). When using this dynamic resoultion tech, it would seem to me that they have to optimize dynamic resoultion tech, while the hardware does everything else. Of course they will still be required to optimize certain things, but it seems that this could make it easier for them, relatively speaking. I know it's much more complex than that.

BigDug13

Dynamic resolution seems to be the best way ahead for all games in the future to help make them future proof. Yeah eventually when we have the third iteration of PS4, new games might run as low as 720p on original PS4 but at least the PERFORMANCE will be adequate which is most important.

Top Bottom