• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS: Dynamic Res XB1 Games Like Halo 5 Should Render at 1080p at All Times on Scorpio

Vashetti

Banned
I don't understand why all console games aren't being coded with forward compatibility in mind.

In regards to what we've heard about Neo, devs will have to go back and patch their games to allow it to take advantage of the better specs. A 900p game e.g. Battlefront should be already coded to auto-detect the better hardware and run better (res and framerate) accordingly. This locking to a resolution and requiring a later patch seems short-sighted to me.

Like how a majority of PC games auto-detect the appropriate resolution for your PC hardware and display.

Future PS and Xbox OSes should be able to 'reach' into any game's res and framerate hooks and scale them up accordingly.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Native 720p games like Battlefield 4/Quantum Break will stay the same?

Yes, just like PSNeo games will require a patch to take advantage of the extra APU power.

In the same article he mentions bringing PC versions to Scorpio, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see all UWP games get Scorpio versions. Hopefully that means we could see 4K updates for Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, and everything released on the Win 10 store in the future.

Halo 5 dips below that IIRC

Digital Foundry said the lowest resolution they recorded was 1152x810 (image here). Their system is pretty complex because it does independent x/y scaling which is why it can end up at strange resolution values.

What i wonder is......does this go for all games? So...Battlefront, Witcher 3 and so on? Or only X1 exclusives?

Yes, everything which uses dynamic resolution. Assuming the dev has their dynamic resolution system set up so that 1920x1080 is the maximum target size, and they determine whether to scale up/down based on how long a frame is taking to render. On Scorpio, because you have more compute power, naturally each frame won't take as long to render so the system should just decide not to scale down.

Witcher 3 looks to use a dynamic resolution system, so that should probably be running at 1080p on Scorpio. However, Battlefront seems to use a locked resolution (720p on Xbox One), so on Scorpio it's just going to be 720p still unless Dice patches it to use a dynamic resolution system.

I dont think that DICE is a fan of Dynamic Resolution (which i agree with).

When both Neo and Scorpio patches/versions will drop, they most likely up all the stuff.

Resolution bump, better Shadows, AA etc.

I dont think it will be just the Resolution that is going to change with Neo and Scorpio.

And why not just aim for 2k Resolution? That should downsample really nice and would provide a lot of headroom for other stuff to improve.

I don't understand this. Aren't XBOX One games supposed to run in native 4k on Scorpio? Why the talk about 1080p now?

Or does this only apply to XBOX One games which are launched after a specific date in the future.

icespide

Banned
I don't understand this. Aren't XBOX One games supposed to run in native 4k on Scorpio? Why the talk about 1080p now?

Or does this only apply to XBOX One games which are launched after a specific date in the future.

we're talking about old xbox one games that haven't been patched to take advantage of scorpios resources yet.

soco

This sounds a little like 'wishful-thinking' to me. I'm sure some games will do this no problem, but for ones that try to adapt, unless there are xbox api hooks for this, I bet a lot of engines doing similar things may be hardcoded and need updates :(

In the same article he mentions bringing PC versions to Scorpio, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see all UWP games get Scorpio versions. Hopefully that means we could see 4K updates for Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, and everything released on the Win 10 store in the future.

AFAIK all of those games already support 4K output. They'll just need to be patched to allow that on Xbox hardware platforms.

Vitacat

Actually, this thread has me completely rethinking my videogame purchasing strategy.

I own all current consoles, but generally only buy exclusives for Xbone, and multiplats for PS4 since PS4 versions have generally been better looking/performing. But considering that I'm often using an adapter to play my PS4 games with an Xbox Elite controller (especially FPS games), maybe I ought to start buying Xbone versions instead?

This week I picked up Doom, for example. So much better feeling with the Elite vs DS4. Perhaps I should've bought the Xbone version and a year from now I'd have it at 1080p constant 60fps etc. on Scorpio.

Man, this hobby is getting increasingly complicated. :p

amardilo

I think The Witcher has a dynamic resolution (although spends most of the time at the lower res). Hope that gets updated.

mcrommert

Banned
Its up to devs to make the choice but i think the right choice for AAA games will be higher framerate and better details and effects on scorpio

If 4k hopefully they have a good system for supersampling as low percentage will have a 4k tv in 1.5 years ( i won't for sure)

Not only 4k but high quality pixels. I would prefer high IQ 1080p60 patch for Halo 5.

Also, I bet Halo of all games will be a showcase for scorpio.

I do hope 343 industry will push scorpio with Halo 6 as a launch title for it.
Running 4k@60fps and only blue team playable.

DesertFox

If Scorpio will get me Witcher 3 at 1080/60, that'd be a nice benefit.

I think Witcher 3 is locked at 30 though on Xbox.

Gestault

I wonder if there's a way to optimize a game to max out at 4K (the way games theoretically can max out at 1080p even if they generally don't) on the regular XB1 so it would hit max resolution on Scorpio hardware, or if you can't spoof that framebuffer without causing problems.

I'm assuming they can be easily patched to support 1080p on Scorpio.

I don't know about easily, won't they have to upgrade all the textures in the game? Those games that run natively in anything below 1080p, probably have textures at the below 1080p res....If the game is dynamic, but 1080p isn't hit ever, it will need upgraded textures...

I'm sure someone can correct me..

I don't know about easily, won't they have to upgrade all the textures in the game? Those games that run natively in anything below 1080p, probably have textures at the below 1080p res....

I'm sure someone can correct me..

Nah, that's not how textures work. They can increase the resolution without having to upgrade the textures. I'm pretty sure texture quality in most third party games is basically the same on both PS4 and X1, with X1 just having a lower native res.

That's not to say that updating a game for Scorpio is easy, though. Even if they simply bump up the resolution, they would still have to run the update through QA.

Tommi84

Hold on a sec, did Phil Spencer not say shortly ago that only having 4k display I'll be able to benefit from Scorpio? Does MS have ANY proper PR cdepartment or they are just playing with us?

I have a heavy suspicion that all published games from MS will have dynamic res/scale/effects or whatever moving forward....

APEX was an example of what devs can do and i expect that engine to showcase the next Forza on Scorpio/OneS

I do hope 343 industry will push scorpio with Halo 6 as a launch title for it.
Running 4k@60fps and only blue team playable.
I'd rather 1080p/60fps with higher image quality and split screen for campaign and online. BTB is missing those guest accounts for cannon fodder. And a big yes for only blue team playable.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
But the Xbox One S will give no improvement at all, right? The S's improvement is only for HDR.

4KGate..... =P

Erimriv

This feature will be in many games from now on, Gears 4 will scale assets/resolution on Scorpio to take advantage of its power:

Taken from reddit:

xGeoThumbs

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/06/13/gears-of-war-4-interview-ign-live-e3-2016
At 6:27. The game dynamically scales assets and resolution if the hardware can run it. So if Scorpio runs this game in 4k 30fps, another future Xbox might run it at 5k60fps. Who knows.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...r_look_at_some_of_the_rain_effects_on/d4ao230

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Doubt it as that is probably CPU bound and would require a patch.

BTW and IMPORTANT FACT: I am absolutely not talking about Halo 5 here - (I have NO IDEA if our animation LOD is easy to adjust or not) - Some tech restrictions that exist to lock frame rates and so on, can be trivially changed with really simple updates, although you're correct that others may have untested or unintended consequences.

Point being that some games will be able to adjust significant elements quite "easily."

thelastword

Banned
Halo_Guardians.png

From Phil Spencer's interview with gamesindustries.biz.

Yes, another Phil Spencer thread but this is something I know myself and a couple other folk were wondering. Please lock it up if we're reached peaked Phil Spencer.
I think that's a good ploy for better hardware, but why wouldn't you just do a 4k version for Scorpio anyway. I guess the same applies for the Master Chief Collection and Quantum Break.

Though, it's neat that you get an automatic resolution upgrade without patches on Scorpio.. Well, on select titles anyway.

Erimriv

BTW and IMPORTANT FACT: I am absolutely not talking about Halo 5 here - (I have NO IDEA if our animation LOD is easy to adjust or not) - Some tech restrictions that exist to lock frame rates and so on, can be trivially changed with really simple updates, although you're correct that others may have untested or unintended consequences.

Point being that some games will be able to adjust significant elements quite "easily."

Please, make a campaign expansion for Halo 5 and release it at Scorpio's launch with all the graphic goodies you can put in.

Take your time with Halo 6.

I still hope they go back and patch some games to take advantage of the better hardware. They use Halo 5 as an example but one of the things that will still be present even with Scorpio is the animation will still look jerky for anything in the distance because of the way that engine handles it currently.

This. Really hoping they adjust the distance animations.

Top Bottom