• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Bastion

An interesting thing just showed up on PSNow on my PS3. It is showing all the games I bought digitally as playable via PSNow that are on the PSNow service. There is a shopping bag showing that I had paid for it. I will have to check it out more tomorrow and see if it allows me to play them on the PS4.

It would be awesome if it did.

jwk94

An interesting thing just showed up on PSNow on my PS3. It is showing all the games I bought digitally as playable via PSNow that are on the PSNow service. There is a shopping bag showing that I had paid for it. I will have to check it out more tomorrow and see if it allows me to play them on the PS4.

where do you see this?

Does this include PS+ games? I'm not home or else is check

Bastion

where do you see this?
Next to games on PSNow that I have bought digitally on my PS3. Now I did check on my PS4 and they are not free for me to play there and I do have these games installed on my PS3 where I can play them.

Two examples are Saints Row 2 and Stick it to the Man. They are free for me to play on PS3 but not on PS4.

jwk94

Next to games on PSNow that I have bought digitally on my PS3. Now I did check on my PS4 and they are not free for me to play there and I do have these games installed on my PS3 where I can play them.

Two examples are Saints Row 2 and Stick it to the Man. They are free for me to play on PS3 but not on PS4.
Interesting. Have you tried to play them on your PS3?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Have you checked whether you CAN actually play them?

by the way, there's already an article based on your Gaf post:

http://ps4daily.com/2014/07/psn-purchases-ps-now-rumor/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yeah, every game in the current list that I actually own has always had a 'purchased' shopping bag in the title. When you go to the entry it still makes you pay, but I hope that's a sign that whatever games you own are free to play when it begins.

Bastion

Yeah, every game in the current list that I actually own has always had a 'purchased' shopping bag in the title. When you go to the entry it still makes you pay, but I hope that's a sign that whatever games you own are free to play when it begins.

I can say that this is correct. Very strange that it says the game is "Playable" but not actually playable without paying. I am going to assume this will eventually work. It has to.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can say that this is correct. Very strange that it says the game is "Playable" but not actually playable without paying. I am going to assume this will eventually work. It has to.
The only thing that makes me think it won't happen is, can you imagine all the traffic on the network that would create that they aren't seeing any money for? Since it sounds expensive to keep this thing going so smoothly, you'd think they wouldn't allow for that much unpaid traffic.

CREMSteve

Allowing you access to games you've already purchased seems like a good idea, so you don't have to keep them on your HDD and you don't have to dl them any time you want to play them.

That said, I'd still prefer a full subscription model ala Netflix, which makes it a moot point.

mattiewheels

I rented FFXIII for a week out of curiosity, and man am I sold completely on this service. I'm scrutinizing the whole time I play, but every aspect except the hint of lag feels like I have the disc in my system. Picture never breaks up, full resolution. Sound never hitches at all. With a game like this the lag problem is minimized and I never had an issue. Feels seamless, no reminders that I'm streaming at all.

If they figure out a plan for giving us free or discounted access to all our old purchases, I could actually see relying on this as a primary source for them. Service is just unbelievably solid at this point.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

It would be awesome if sony some how managed a way to allow discs being put in to unlock these games on psnow, so my whole ps3 collection was playable on the ps4.

Seems the 4 hour rentals are back and the 90 day price is 14.99. Didn't like the pricing structure at first but this is a beta. Seems like they're figuring it out

mattiewheels

I kinda have to revise what I said about FFXIII up there, after playing it on Now for a week...even with just menu controls and forward movement, the lag got crazy in certain spots. Like trying to move up one spot on a menu would result in it moving way more than once, not very fun when you realize the battle system was built on quick selection. When you get used to the rhythm that the lag puts the game in you learn to adapt, but in spots like these you get messed up.

The amazing thing is that even though the input was finicky, the picture and sound never once barfed or showed any cracks. It really felt the same as having the disc in. I just suppose the lag issue is inherent and unsolvable. I'm still excited to try more stuff to see what ends up working the best.

Scottiths

Banned
I can't imagine who would rent a game for any period of time for $20.
Anyone who trades in games? If you buy a game for 60 and sell it a month later for 30 then you just effectively rented the game for 30 for one month... I think reselling games is stupid for exactly this reason.

netguy503

Anyone who trades in games? If you buy a game for 60 and sell it a month later for 30 then you just effectively rented the game for 30 for one month... I think reselling games is stupid for exactly this reason.

But you can't trade in these games or get money back for another purchase. You pay that high price on ps now, the money is gone forever.

Nipo

This aren't new $60 games. You can buy most older games for $10-20 and resell them on craigslist for what you paid or a few bucks left.

Hell, if you time it right you can buy a used game of craigslist, beat it, and trade it in during a store promotion for more than you paid.

Allowing you access to games you've already purchased seems like a good idea, so you don't have to keep them on your HDD and you don't have to dl them any time you want to play them.

That said, I'd still prefer a full subscription model ala Netflix, which makes it a moot point.

I can't see whatever subscription package them come up with allowing you access to all games. If they do will likely just be for PS1/2 Classics. I'm hoping they give a $5-ish/month option to use PSNow as a BC option. Allowing you to play any titles purchases on PSN and possibly even disc-based games.

tmtyf

I believe they went on record and said they were not going to let you use previously purchased games for free as psnow costs them money. It might just be since its the same marketplace it shows your history.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this always for streaming, or tied to the full download of the title?

Always streaming.

Game is rendered on the server and then streamed to the client. Because it is not tied to client download [like PlayGo on PS4], you can experience PSNow content on multitude of supported devices [home consoles, portable console, direct streaming to HDTV, surely later android tablets/phones and PCs...]. All you need is fast internet connection and PSNow server location that is close to you.

Krakn3Dfx

Interested in checking this out, but likely not something I would put much time into unless they have some import stuff available on the U.S. store that it would have been prohibitively expensive to obtain at the time, especially when they start dropping PS1/2 titles on the system.

mattp

Is there an option to buy the game instead of just renting it?

the issue with the concept of buying these games is:
you still don't own hardware to play the game on. even if you own a license to the game, sony is still providing the server(ps3 hardware in a serverfarm, basically) to run the game and also the streaming hardware to deliver the video to you

so i don't see how they could even run the service without still charging you something to play the game you "own"
and people would flip out if they had to subscribe to the service and ALSO pay a fee to own the game

i really don't see how this can be a viable business for them. they need to charge money to run all the servers and people don't want to pay that much for the content.

icespide

Banned
the issue with the concept of buying these games is:
you still don't own hardware to play the game on. even if you own a license to the game, sony is still providing the server(ps3 hardware in a serverfarm, basically) to run the game and also the streaming hardware to deliver the video to you

so i don't see how they could even run the service without still charging you something to play the game you "own"
and people would flip out if they had to subscribe to the service and ALSO pay a fee to own the game

i really don't see how this can be a viable business for them. they need to charge money to run all the servers and people don't want to pay that much for the content.

we don't know this yet

Varth

Always streaming.

Game is rendered on the server and then streamed to the client. Because it is not tied to client download [like PlayGo on PS4], you can experience PSNow content on multitude of supported devices [home consoles, portable console, direct streaming to HDTV, surely later android tablets/phones and PCs...]. All you need is fast internet connection and PSNow server location that is close to you.

Sigh. I wish they would offer a rental system like the movie one. Streaming is NEVER gonna be feasible for many of the games I like, even more so in Italy : \

icespide

Banned
Is this a fucking joke? 2.99$ for 4 hours? what should I do in 4 hours sony you stupid retard?

9nD5t3c.png

cross posting from the other PSNow thread

I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up on the 4 hour option. The other options are much more reasonable and the 4 hour option is there entirely to make those look good.

also, retard really?

What "rental" period could possibly be worth 20 bucks?

If you think about it, an RPG for a month at $20 is a really good price compared to $60 to buy. Under the right circumstances, it works. It really depends on the gamer and what their schedule is. For me it would take months to finish a typical RPG so for me it makes more sense to buy.

jwk94

cross posting from the other PSNow thread

I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up on the 4 hour option. The other options are much more reasonable and the 4 hour option is there entirely to make those look good.

also, retard really?

Like I said in the other thread, I like the 4 hour option. There are some games that I would only rent for four hours.

Top Bottom