• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS one titles now on North American PS Store

Amir0x

Banned
Unison said:
That's pretty awesome. I wonder how these games control on PSP... what about games that use L2 / R2 / the right analog?

If you put in a PS2 / PS1 pad when playing these on PS3 will you get rumble?

No idea about the rumble thing. No idea about how they're conforming these to PSP... but my bet is that they will eventually have games that simply can't adapt to PSP, and for those they'll only be playable on PS3.

Flo_Evans said:
dude I am totally with you. I kept thinking playing motorstorm... man I wish they had a 'freestyle' area like jetmoto. Then I was like **** it I just want jetmoto done with these graphics :D

Seriously. It's now my most desired franchise revival. :(

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Is there a big disclaimer that you can only play them on PSP? I can imagine non-PSP owners downloading them and then becoming incensed when they can't play them on their PS3, which they used to download the game and which plays PS1 games on CD.

theBishop

Banned
Sony seems to have improved their server bandwidth. Syphon filter (383MB) is downloading MUCH faster than any of the demos i downloaded earlier.

jiggle

Guileless said:
Is there a big disclaimer that you can only play them on PSP? I can imagine non-PSP owners downloading them and then becoming incensed when they can't play them on their PS3, which they used to download the game and which plays PS1 games on CD.

"for PSP"

kenta

Has no PEINS
Amir0x said:
Seriously. It's now my most desired franchise revival. :(
Finally! More people in the Jet Moto Revival club!

It must happen and Evolution must be the ones to make it happen

For all those bitching about certain games not there-- it's the first ****ing week! I'm sure we'll see more of these every Monday. 5 new games a week adds up pretty quickly.

As far as the comparison to the VC-- different thing. This is for the PSP, at least for now.

Gigglepoo

Wow, those are dirt cheap. It's now a race between Sony and Microsoft to offer Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo with leaderboards and online play.

jarrod

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Wow, those are dirt cheap. It's now a race between Sony and Microsoft to offer Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo with leaderboards and online play.
Wait, do the PS1 games offer improvements like online play/leaderboards or are they straight ROM dumps + emulators like the VC? If it's the latter, that's quite the deal!

Bebpo

Banned
As much as the price is nice, they're still overcharging.

The games on the JPN store are <$5 at 525yen. They should've been $5, not $6 but someone got a little greedy figuring they could make an extra buck :\

Bebpo said:

The games on the JPN store are <$5 at 525yen. They should've been $5, not $6 but someone got a little greedy figuring they could make an extra buck :\

I guess you're unaware of the Virtual Console pricing?

Bebpo

Banned
_leech_ said:
I guess you're unaware of the Virtual Console pricing?

Oh, I've bitched about VC pricing already. I think it's absolutely absurd and just an excuse for Nintendo to rape their ever-loving fanbase all over again for 5 years.

I also think XBLA games that are PORTS, and not original titles, are a complete ripoff if more than 400points (aka, SFII).

scarybore

Very nice price if you ask me, hopefully the EU price will be similar.

Since these are for PSP, I hoping the EU releases are reworked NTSC releases with new language options rather than some kind of framerate or squished cluster****.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jarrod said:
Wait, do the PS1 games offer improvements like online play/leaderboards or are they straight ROM dumps + emulators like the VC? If it's the latter, that's quite the deal!

I think these are just straight rom dumps + emulators. I don't think these games have added features.

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
I think these are just straight rom dumps + emulators. I don't think these games have added features.
That's what I figured... the Puzzle Fighter comments threw me off. :/

I assume Neo*Geo releases will probably be the same?

Bebpo said:
Oh, I've bitched about VC pricing already. I think it's absolutely absurd and just an excuse for Nintendo to rape their ever-loving fanbase all over again for 5 years.

I also think XBLA games that are PORTS, and not original titles, are a complete ripoff if more than 400points (aka, SFII).

Oh, ok. I just think $6 for nearly decade old titles is a lot more fair than what the competition is offering, don't really see anything to complain about :p

hyp

okay so... are these games available for download or not? bitch all you want, the price is right for these games and being able to play them on the PSP makes them that much better. this was probably one of my most sought out features for buying a PS3. thank god it's finally happening. :)

and get that VC/XBLA talk outta this thread, it's getting goddamn annoying already -- so many ruined PS3 threads.

hyp

jiggle said:
theBishop is already downloading one

yay.jpg

megateto

Bebpo said:

Wait for the Euro price.

A nice choice of games there, im not a huge crash fan so I would pass on that one. Not played cool boarders for years! nice to see its available.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, the Virtual Console would have been significantly more interesting if Nintendo had allowed you to download games to a DS (I'm sure they could figure something out). Having these games in portable form is precisely what makes them so appealing. Even better, the PSP screen is surprisingly kind to PSX games. The PSP vertical resolution is 272, so PSX games are a close fit (and stretching them to fill the 480 horizontal isn't bad either). They aren't as sharp as actual PSP titles, but still very clean and crisp (despite the typical texture warpning and whatnot).

Can't wait to see some 2D games become available. I know everyone has demanded it over and over again, but SotN would be a great release for the PSP. I haven't played it in years either, so it would feel decently fresh and actualy look pretty decent. I'm hoping that they go ahead and release some less common games for PSP consumption as well. While I already own it (luckily), Klonoa 1 on PSP would be a real treat.

terrene

Banned
Bebpo said:

$6 is in "think twice" land, just because it immediately rounds up to $10 in my head. But it's actually quite a relief: VC aside, Sony was charging $10 apiece for those abysmal "arcade" games, which had me pretty worried. $6 for these games seems like a steal in comparison.

Remedy

Banned
excuse my ignorance, is there going to be a way to emulate the physical copies of PS1 games that i already own, on the PSP? Or is this purely for downloaded PS1 games?

hyp

dark10x said:
Honestly, the Virtual Console would have been significantly more interesting if Nintendo had allowed you to download games to a DS (I'm sure they could figure something out). Having these games in portable form is precisely what makes them so appealing. Even better, the PSP screen is surprisingly kind to PSX games. The PSP vertical resolution is 272, so PSX games are a close fit (and stretching them to fill the 480 horizontal isn't bad either). They aren't as sharp as actual PSP titles, but still very clean and crisp (despite the typical texture warpning and whatnot).

Can't wait to see some 2D games become available. I know everyone has demanded it over and over again, but SotN would be a great release for the PSP. I haven't played it in years either, so it would feel decently fresh and actualy look pretty decent. I'm hoping that they go ahead and release some less common games for PSP consumption as well. While I already own it (luckily), Klonoa 1 on PSP would be a real treat.

the exact two reasons why i'm VERY excited about PS1 games on PSP. and the fact that they're decently priced makes me that much happier. i'm very unhappy with VC pricing given that there's nothing else given to the consumer aside from a virtual instruction manual.

Mashing

I hope these three service (XBLA, VC and PS Store) start competing with one another so we can get some price reduction in the costs of XBLA and VC games.

$5.99 for PS games is pefectly acceptable.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Remedy said:
excuse my ignorance, is there going to be a way to emulate the physical copies of PS1 games that i already own, on the PSP? Or is this purely for downloaded PS1 games?

IMO there is ZERO chance of Sony ever offering what I've bolded.

terrene

Banned
So, here's a question:

I'm assuming remote play on the PSP will not require the PS3's WiFi once you're able to download these games FROM the PSP, right? Because right now, you have to have the 60gb in order to do remote play on the PSP, but I'm assuming that's just because the PSP is depending on the PS3 for everything. It can't be more efficient to "route" all the WiFi traffic through the PS3, and that just CAN'T be the only way to play online.

Edit: Question #2: Texture filtering?

Top Bottom