• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS one titles now on North American PS Store

If you'll be able to play this on your PS3, not only on the PSP, by the time PS3 launches in Euroland it's going to be amazing.

Both Nintendos and Sonys online downloads seems way better than Live Arcade.

Perhaps MS will get their shit together now.

Big-E

Why must we Canadians pay a buck more for everything? I thought Sony was going to be nice to us after only charging $59 more for PS3 opposed to the $100 more for a XBOX 360.

Wollan

jakershaker said:
Perhaps MS will get their shit together now.

You just know they're cooking up a deathmatch multiplayer enabled version of Dig Dug. It's going to be soo awesome.

My console froze when I went into the store to check this out. I turned it off because it wouldn't respond at all, and now it won't turn back on.

Shit.

theBishop

Banned
OK, on the playstation store, there's two files you need to download. One is the main "data" file (383MB for syphon filter), the other is the 100Kb License file. Once the license is downloaded it shows up in the new "Certification Manager" on the PSP:

sf003ob9.jpg

Once the data file is installed, it shows up in the memory stick area just like the free demos:

sf004gh9.jpg

Upon loading the game, you're greeted with a familiar logo...

sf005sq0.jpg

And after the requisite credit screens, you get the menu:

sf006rf3.jpg

Introducing... Gabe Logan!

sf008xb5.jpg

Pressing the home button brings up a number of options available to the emulator...

sf010lq5.jpg

... including the COMPLETE game manual:

sf011xw7.jpg

You also have the option of adjusting the video output to fill the entire screen:

sf012we5.jpg

This distorts the image a little bit, but i think its worth it to get the full sized image.

As far as the installation processes. The download went pretty quickly, and it will require the PSP to be plugged in prior to the download. Hopefully this restriction will be removed once the PS3 itself can play the games. It is clear the download is stored on the PS3 HDD, but it does not seem to be accessible from the XMB interface.

After the download is complete, there is an installation process to the PSP, which actually takes WAY too long. Clearly its doing more than just copying the file because 383MB over USB2 should be done in a few minutes. It took at least 10.

Also, the license download is probably going to be confusing for some people. Its not a big deal per se, but it isn't very elegant.

Including the manual was a pleasant surprise.

On the memory card, the game file is in /PSP/GAME/SCUS94240 and the eboot.pbp itself is 387MB, so we're clearly not just getting an ISO here.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
terrene said:
So, here's a question:

I'm assuming remote play on the PSP will not require the PS3's WiFi once you're able to download these games FROM the PSP, right? Because right now, you have to have the 60gb in order to do remote play on the PSP, but I'm assuming that's just because the PSP is depending on the PS3 for everything. It can't be more efficient to "route" all the WiFi traffic through the PS3, and that just CAN'T be the only way to play online.

Edit: Question #2: Texture filtering?

I'd answer question #1 if I could understand what you were saying... Remote Play doesn't have anything to do with downloading games from the PS Store.

Could you reword?

terrene

Banned
DarienA said:
I'd answer question #1 if I could understand what you were saying... Remote Play doesn't have anything to do with downloading games from the PS Store.

Could you reword?
Sorry: According to reports, you can only connect to others for remote play using the PS3 WiFi.

The reason I assume it's short-term is that the PSP isn't equipped to do the PS1 stuff all by itself in any case, depending on the PS3 for everything. I'm thinking that once they sort that out and enable direct-from-PSP downloads, "PS3-free" remote play will be enabled, too.

hyp

damn, those screens are sexy. thanks theBishop. i know what i'ma be playing tonight on my PSP... some syphon filter baby.

Mau ®

Hey that's actually pretty cheap. I was getting myself ready to pay 20+ so that's nice. I wonder if they'll charge more for titles like Final Fantasy. Probably.

Chris_C

_leech_ said:
Can't wait to see how The 1UP Show Team in the absence of Shane will spin this one on Friday.

Fixed.

I love the crew but it seems they're taking it too far with the Sony slamming, I can understand if they have a preference for the other consoles but a little objectivity would be nice. Even when there's something good to be had they make it seem negative. I predict they'll concentrate on how this is only available to PS3 owners at present, a valid argument, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Back on topic, I'm happy with the file sizes and prices, if I had a PS3 I'd be ALL OVER crash and Syphon Filter, I need another AAA platformer on my PSP.

I wonder how far original/new PSP games for download are down the line.

jiggle

terrene said:
Sorry: According to reports, you can only connect to others for remote play using the PS3 WiFi.

The reason I assume it's short-term is that the PSP isn't equipped to do the PS1 stuff all by itself in any case, depending on the PS3 for everything. I'm thinking that once they sort that out and enable direct-from-PSP downloads, "PS3-free" remote play will be enabled, too.

PS3 is used for going into the store and downloading only.

You have to transfer the game into PSP to play.
There is no remote play for these.

Chris_C

AltogetherAndrews said:
So what are the odds of Wip3out making it to the PS Store, ever?

Pretty darn good as far as I know, Harrison said they wanted to get as much as they could up there unless it was tied up in license rights. He said he wanted even the obscure titles up there so people could get a hold of them.

Bad_Boy said:
I think the most ironic thing is the lack of ridge racer there. :p

Hopefully we will have warhawk on there soon (but I guess they wont put that on there atleast until warhawk ps3 release is near)

:lol Ridge Racer!

Personally I can't wait to try out all those PSOne classics I never got to play.

Oddly enough, I'd much rather play these games on a handheld than a PS3, the option is nice, but mentally I can accept the low res graphics while holding a PSP in my hands more easily than I can a Sixaxis controller.

EDIT: Game I want most is RALLY CROSS!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm so tempted to go buy Syphon Filter

Vandiger said:
Awsome, will you be able to play imports. I never got a chance to play some of the PS1 jpn titles

You'll probably need to make a JPN Playstation Network account, which requires a JPN credit card

Chris Remo said:
My console froze when I went into the store to check this out. I turned it off because it wouldn't respond at all, and now it won't turn back on.

Shit.
Okay, now it turns on but it shuts off again after about twenty seconds, each time I turn it on. Anyone else having any problems?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Dear Sony,

If you release Einhander on here I promise to buy all my newphews PSPs for christmas. PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!

Vandiger

jiggle said:
I'm confused. Are you talking about PS3 running these games, but using PSP to view and control it?

I think it means you can play it on the PS3 than continue at the same point on the PSP. Very cool for the likes of FFT and other long term games.

Sweet, I'll be picking up Syphon Filter and maybe one other tonight. Syphon Filter 1 and 2 are two of my favorites of all time, it will be interesting to see how they look on the PSP.

Hero

Not interested in even one of those games listed but this is pretty cool, actually.

Full game manual included is a nice touch.

hyp

brocke said:
well there you have it. the psp will actually begin selling now.

not really, you still need a PS3 for this feature -- and we know how available those are.

Actually are these the ones that can be on five psps?
If they are like I think they are, you only need one PS3 for a few PSPs to have the game.

terrene

Banned
Vandiger said:
I think it means you can play it on the PS3 than continue at the same point on the PSP. Very cool for the likes of FFT and other long term games.
Erm, actually -- and I could be misunderstanding what the term "remote play" means for the PSP -- I was thinking it was online multiplayer. Is "remote play" Sony's term for the PSP/PS3 connectivity thing? If so, lol nevermind.

terrene

Banned
DarienA said:
There is apparently a bit of confusion going on. Remote Play has nothing to do at this point with the PS1 downloaded games.

Remote Play is currently only used for viewing of PS3 stored media on your PSP. Stored videos, stored music, etc. It has nothing to do with gaming right now.
Gotcha - thanks, Darien. :)

hyp

a little O/T, but now that this feature is out, i'm thinking of upgrading my memory stick. does the PSP support 4GB memory stick pro duos?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
OokieSpookie said:
Next run

Resident Evil
Battle Arena Toshinden
Jet Moto
Jumping Flash
FF tactics
Wipeout
SoulEdge

MAKE IT HAPPEN SONY!!!!

A weird part of me would pick up Toshinden, just out of the memory of the excitement my friend and I had, picking up our launch PS' with Toshinden, then playing it until we had the biggest blisters on our thumbs for days. A weird part of me wishes someone would pick up the property, and fix it and release a new Toshinden games that kicked ass.

Ah, if wishes were ponies.

Next Gen Jet Moto please too.

Haunted

Cool prices, definitely giving them the edge in that category compared to the offer of certain other companies. I think that service will really take off once people will be able to play them on their PS3 with their home theatre and TVs. :) The sooner the better Sony!

Top Bottom