• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS one titles now on North American PS Store

Alright if we get:

TOBAL 2
VAGRANT STORY
KING FIELD 1 AND 2(HAHAHA I LOVE THESE GAMES!)
DESTRUCTION DERBY
DRIVER
MGS1

I WILL SH!T MYSELF.

VicVip3r

Legend of Dragoon
FFVIII
FFIX

por favor, never got to finish these ever since my memory card crapped out years ago.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Tobal 2 with online play would be awesome.
Really, all of the competitive games should be online. I dont see myself ever buying them otherwise.

Tumalu

How does saving work for these? Did they re-work the saving altogether or does the PSP use a separate virtual memory card for each game? Is it possible to use PS1 saves from the PS3's HDD with the corresponding downloadable games?

Doctor_No

Once PS3-play support and PSP-download service is added this would be a fantastic service.

Sony would have an strong competitor to XBLA and VC if they can release ~4 games a week.

GreekWolf

I'm slowly beginning to notice a pattern emerging here. Each online service caters to a completely different demographic.

XBLA is for 30+ year old geezers. (primarily retro arcade titles from the 1980's and early 90's)

The PS3 store is for children of the 1990's, who grew up during the PS1/Saturn/N64 era.

Virtual Console is strictly for Nintendo diehards, who cherish their 1st party titles above all other series and franchises.

Of course, this can and probably will look radically different next summer, when XBLA and PS3 begin cranking out more indie titles like Castle Crashers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this is an AWESOME service. ****ing nintendo charging 8 bucks for SNES/genesis games :mad:

Hot Shots OH HELL YES! Never played the first Syphon Filter either, maybe I'll give that a try.

What if I delete a game from my PSP or my Memory Stick breaks down? Can I reinstall just by hooking up my PSP to the PS3?

hyp

whatdidyousay said:
Hot Shots OH HELL YES! Never played the first Syphon Filter either, maybe I'll give that a try.

What if I delete a game from my PSP or my Memory Stick breaks down? Can I reinstall just by hooking up my PSP to the PS3?

i'm assuming the game will be tied to your PSN account like everything else. according to theBishop, the game is stored on the PS3 hard drive, so you should be able to get the data off there. if we have to re-download the whole thing, that would be some bullshit.

Ginko

Finally! I was thinking of opening a thread ranting about it not being released. Love the prices too.

I'm just worried about the file sizes.

hyp said:
i'm assuming the game will be tied to your PSN account like everything else. according to theBishop, the game is stored on the PS3 hard drive, so you should be able to get the data off there. if we have to re-download the whole thing, that would be some bullshit.

That would seem the way to go. Okay, off to try it...

hyp

Ginko said:
I'm just worried about the file sizes.

same here.. i only have a 512mb memory stick right now. =\ which means that there's no way i can play tekken2 on my psp. it also makes me want to upgrade my PS3 hard drive from 20gb to 120gb or so.

Gigglepoo

consoul said:
Oh God. Tobal 2. Online. *swoon*

If they localized it as well, I would die.

Didn't that have a huge quest mode? I thought that was why Sony/Square/Dream Factory didn't bring it over to begin with.

Mooreberg

This could be really good going forward but I hope they're not just going to distribute "Greatest Hits" that you can still find at every Target and Best Buy. There were a lot of PSOne games that people missed and were not huge sellers that would be a perfect fit for something like this.

Ginko

hyp said:
same here.. i only have a 512mb memory stick right now. =\ which means that there's no way i can play tekken2 on my psp. it also makes me want to upgrade my PS3 hard drive from 20gb to 120gb or so.
Yeah I think it's time to buy a new memory stick. When the big fishes hit the shelf we'll start to see 600+ mgs.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
those games don't really do it for me. might download hot shots or crash just to give the feature a try. they ought to have shrunk down the files as well.

hyp

Ginko said:
Yeah I think it's time to buy a new memory stick. When the big fishes hit the shelf we'll start to see 600+ mgs.

a coworker had a good point... what's gonna happen w/ multidisc games? :lol hopefully we can store each disc on the PS3 and download for later use. who knows. but i do remember there being a lot of multidisc games on PS1. FFVII says "hAY GuYZ".

hyp said:
a coworker had a good point... what's gonna happen w/ multidisc games?
3 transactions? :D

I would think you only need one cd's data on your psp at a time, how many hours was on each FF7 cd again? I supose its a pain though if you go on holiday and beat disk 1.

consoul

FF7 was three discs, so a 2GB stick would handle it no problem.

I guess FF8 is going to sell some 4GB sticks then.

theBishop

Banned
hyp said:

My only indication that its on the HDD is because the HDD light was blinking as it was downloading, then during the installation, PSP's memory stick light is blinking as well as the PS3 HDD light.

Its possible that the file is deleted from the PS3 HDD as its being installed, but I have no way of verifying that. And like i said before, there's no indication from the XMB on PS3 that Syphon Filter is installed.

hyp

Cloudy said:
Or he could buy it for cheaper with $20 off at buy.com :D

speaking of which... what's a decent price for a 4GB nowadays. i'm seriously thinking of flexing that google checkout coupon for this on buy.com but the price seems bloated.

theBishop said:
My only indication that its on the HDD is because the HDD light was blinking as it was downloading, then during the installation, PSP's memory stick light is blinking as well as the PS3 HDD light.

Its possible that the file is deleted from the PS3 HDD as its being installed, but I have no way of verifying that. And like i said before, there's no indication from the XMB on PS3 that Syphon Filter is installed.
Yeah, I noticed this too, it seems to download to the hard drive then install on the PSP with no sign of it on the PS3 after downloading. I wonder what will happen when/if these games become playable on PS3.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ignatz Mouse said:
I never played Siphon Filter. I may get that. How is Cool Boarders?

I'd probably re-play Crash Bandicoot 2, but not 1.

Now... Devil Dice! Make it happen!

I second devil dice, hell make it a psp while you are at it.

kenta

Has no PEINS
hyp said:
speaking of which... what's a decent price for a 4GB nowadays. i'm seriously thinking of flexing that google checkout coupon for this on buy.com but the price seems bloated.
$99 at NewEgg is an extremely decent price, the buy.com price is a complete steal. Any other discounts you can get make you a very lucky person

Pikelet

Virtual Console is strictly for Nintendo diehards, who cherish their 1st party titles above all other series and franchises.
Yeah, i cant wait to play more awesome Nintendo first party titles like Gunstar Heroes

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Whats the word on Symphony of the Night? I know its going to be on XBLA, but, it was also a fricken playstation game. Is it going to be released on Sony's service. Please say yes :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Oldschoolgamer said:
Whats the word on Symphony of the Night? I know its going to be on XBLA, but, it was also a fricken playstation game. Is it going to be released on Sony's service. Please say yes :(

Its a fricken KONAMI game, not owned by Sony. Hopefully we see SoTN on PSN.:D

Bebpo

Banned
Quick question:

Once you buy a game and it's on your PSP can you copy it to your computer hard drive and then copy it back at a later time?

Also if you delete it can you re-download it over and over again? Or is it just five times?

Basically the issue is that PS1 games are ****ing big and PSP memory sticks are going to be filled ultra fast (I only have a 1gig, which I got not too long ago). I'd hope I can keep all the games on my PC and just move them over when I want to play them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GreekWolf said:
I'm slowly beginning to notice a pattern emerging here. Each online service caters to a completely different demographic.

XBLA is for 30+ year old geezers. (primarily retro arcade titles from the 1980's and early 90's)

The PS3 store is for children of the 1990's, who grew up during the PS1/Saturn/N64 era.

your assessment of the first two are fairly accurate, though Nintendo VC is completely off considering the majority of real releases on the service are non-Nintendo (not counting the junk titles on there for NES).

But yeah, I see myself dropping at least $6 for Jumping Flash SONY. DO YOU HEAR THAT! JUMPING FLASH! IN CAS YOU MISSED IT I SAID JUMPING FLASH AND I LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Beat the hell out of that game back in 1996.

Bebpo

Banned
_leech_ said:
Oh, ok. I just think $6 for nearly decade old titles is a lot more fair than what the competition is offering, don't really see anything to complain about :p

Just to clarify, I think $6 is COMPLETELY WORTH IT.

It's just I don't like that they made it more expensive than Japan. It feels like someone thought they'd make an extra few thousand dollars by just raising the price a buck and no one would care. It's the attitude, not the cost.

Just bought Crash anyhow. Thought they were great platformers back in the day; let's see how it holds up!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I think we should support this effort. Prices are phenominal. I am get 4 of these right now. Come on Sony get Square into this party already.

(jerks off at the thought of Xenogears, FFVII, FFT, Einhender, Jumping Flash)

neojubei said:
Its a fricken KONAMI game, not owned by Sony. Hopefully we see SoTN on PSN.:D

Tekken is not a fricken Sony game either, either is Resident fricken evil.
It fricken doesnt matter who makes them if they were on the PS.
(Though some games I am sure are past their license and would have to be renewed by Sony)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Bebpo said:
Quick question:

Once you buy a game and it's on your PSP can you copy it to your computer hard drive and then copy it back at a later time?

Also if you delete it can you re-download it over and over again? Or is it just five times?

Basically the issue is that PS1 games are ****ing big and PSP memory sticks are going to be filled ultra fast (I only have a 1gig, which I got not too long ago). I'd hope I can keep all the games on my PC and just move them over when I want to play them.
Well thats the great part. This will cause a rise in memory card sales that should drop prices of thew 4GB and 8GB (when it's released). 2GB is dirt cheap nowadays anyway. If this happens Sony can distribute more real PSP games this way.

Being able to save them on your PC and PS3 is a must.

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
Quick question:

I'd buy a PSP revision if the only change was that it allowed for two memory sticks to be inserted and/or other cards too!

Pimpwerx

Tekken2 was a very good Tekken, and I'm not just saying that b/c it's the version I owned for the PS1. It had some great lighting for a PS1 fighter. It's no Tekken3, but it's still great. The first Tekken that could pass as a legit competitor to VF. Soul Edge would be awesome, though. PEACE.

EDIT: With a remastered intro, of course. The MDEC format is a bit too blocky. SE intro in MP4 ftw. :D

terrene

Banned
Bebpo said:
Quick question:

That's an interesting question. I bet so, as long as it's to/from the same PSP all the time. I imagine that 10-minute installation is actually encrypting the contents using the PSP's serial number or something as the key.

Top Bottom