• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS one titles now on North American PS Store

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yes, you need firmware 3.01 run the PSOne games legitimately on the PSP.

Someone in the Devhook thread mentioned that they couldn't get a PSOne game to run in the emulated 3.01 firmware.

bud

Bebpo said:
Just tried and everything works fine :)

Does this basically mean that you can dload it, put it on your pc and give it to all of your friends for free? Or is limited to one psp only?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Bud said:
Does this basically mean that you can dload it, put it on your pc and give it to all of your friends for free? Or is limited to one psp only?

...I think you missed the part about downloading the license piece.

Javaman

It's too bad Sony and EB/Gamestop isn't offering this download service in store. Hopefully we'll have direct to PSP downloads soon.

DarienA

Javaman said:
It's too bad Sony and EB/Gamestop isn't offering this download service in store. Hopefully we'll have direct to PSP downloads soon.

As soon as you true to add EB/Gamestop to the mix expect a price increase. No thanks, I'd rather Sony just finish up on enabling the PSP to access the store directly.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, there's a license but I don't think we have much info on just how restrictive it is - whether it's really as restrictive as only working on the PSP it's downloaded to hasn't been tested/reported yet.

DarienA

kaching said:
Yeah, there's a license but I don't think we have much info on just how restrictive it is - whether it's really as restrictive as only working on the PSP it's downloaded to hasn't been tested/reported yet.

The odds that you can copy the purchased licensed file and game from the PSP to your PC, and then to another PC are pretty low IMO.

I'll be surprised if you can pull the license file off at all.

I am curious to see the results of testing this though.

Wow...Hot Shots looks...horrible. Downloaded it yesterday and was all excited to play, then I realized the whole time I was thinking about the PS2 Hot Shots games that I liked and NOT the PS1 game I just bought.

Hazy memory FTL.

Andokuky

Banned
Destruction Derby Raw and Twisted Metal 2 to download and play on PS3 please :D I can never find them in any stores...

theBishop

Banned
kaching said:

I suspect this is the reason for the awkward License/Data separation. That way, you can back up the data to a CD-R and put it back on the PSP when you want to play without having to re-"bless" the system itself.

Is it an ideal solution? no.

But it works.

RuGalz

DarienA said:
The odds that you can copy the purchased licensed file and game from the PSP to your PC, and then to another PC are pretty low IMO.

I'll be surprised if you can pull the license file off at all.

I am curious to see the results of testing this though.

There's no reason why you can't copy the license file. The license file is most likely generated using unique identifier of the activated PSP so it would only work on that particular PSP much like licenses for Wii's VC and X360's XBLA. In addition, they may have encrypted the data file.

The fine prints in the EULA says you can download it to up to 5 PSPs suggests that the license is tied to the PSP system.

Bebpo

Banned
RuGalz said:
The fine prints in the EULA says you can download it to up to 5 PSPs suggests that the license is tied to the PSP system.

Btw, regarding the 5 PSP thing I think it's probably a smart idea not to give out more than 2-3 copies in case you have to replace your own PSP at some point. Would suck if your PSP broke and you get a new one but can't download all the games you've paid for ^^;

hyp

personally, i'm not looking forward to playing these on the PS3. both Wii and XBLA have showed me that playing retro games on an HDTV is an eyesore. i like that the image is scaled down on the PSP, in fact making it look a bit sharper and clean.

theBishop

Banned
hyp said:
personally, i'm not looking forward to playing these on the PS3. both Wii and XBLA have showed me that playing retro games on an HDTV is an eyesore. i like that the image is scaled down on the PSP, in fact making it look a bit sharper and clean.

Heh, well if that was the approach Sony wanted to take, then the PSP should've been able to access the store directly.

I think its cool that it'll be cross platform.

I'm looking forward to non-PSone downloads that are cross platform.

hyp

theBishop said:
Heh, well if that was the approach Sony wanted to take, then the PSP should've been able to access the store directly.

I think its cool that it'll be cross platform.

now THIS is gonna be hot if it really happens. in fact, it may help sell some PSPs.

i'll be honest, my interest in the PS3 was peaked when i heard you can download PS1 games from PSN and offload them to the PSP. if this feature was accessible from the PSP from the start, my interest wouldn't have been so high. nonetheless, i don't regret my PS3 purchase... it's a solid machine w/ promise and one hell of a Blu-Ray player :).

kenta

Has no PEINS
hyp said:
now THIS is gonna be hot if it really happens. in fact, it may help sell some PSPs.
Cash Guns Chaos or whatever it's called is like this. You download the game and you can play it on your PSP or PS3, and you can actually compete cross-platform and everything, it's really cool.

theBishop

Banned
kenta said:
Cash Guns Chaos or whatever it's called is like this. You download the game and you can play it on your PSP or PS3, and you can actually compete cross-platform and everything, it's really cool.

Is the PSP version a download or on UMD?

I thought there would be a UMD release for the PSP and (obviously) the PS3 download. If it is one download for both, I'd seriously consider buying it.

Chris_C

theBishop said:

Isn't that what Cash Guns Chaos/Cash Money Chaos/Cash Carnage Chaos (or whatever it's called now) is?

I really, really want to play Crash.

kenta

Has no PEINS
theBishop said:
Is the PSP version a download or on UMD?

I thought there would be a UMD release for the PSP and (obviously) the PS3 download. If it is one download for both, I'd seriously consider buying it.
It's a download. You essentially have the same binary on both the PSP and PS3 (just like what will happen with PSOne binaries), and play cross-platform

theBishop

Banned
kenta said:
It's a download. You essentially have the same binary on both the PSP and PS3 (just like what will happen with PSOne binaries), and play cross-platform

that's awesome! so I could do that with the download that's been on store since launch? Why didn't anyone tell me?!

hyp

kenta said:

sayyy what? did i hear this right? too bad blast factor isn't like this... i've already downloaded it.

what do you mean by compete cross-platform? do i need a 60gb wifi enabled PS3 for this?

Flo_Evans

heh I forgot how fun Tekken 2 was. I need to unlock the kangaroo :D

I am really impressed with the emulation - 60fps and it looks great on the PSP screen.

hyp

Flo_Evans said:
heh I forgot how fun Tekken 2 was. I need to unlock the kangaroo :D

best tekken ever! it was mind blowing to see how much better the graphics were compared to part 1 in the PS1 days -- it was like night and day.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, if Cash, Guns & Chaos really works on the PSP...you'd think they would ADVERTISE THAT FEATURE.

I mean on the PS3 it's just a meh Smash TV clone. But on the PSP Smash TV would actually be pretty fun to play on public transportation.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Well I am not sure if it works on the PSP as of this moment, I just know they were showcasing that cross-platform multiplayer aspect at the October Gamer's Day and it was really cool. People were of course complaining that it looked like a PSP game even when playing on the PS3 (which is to be expected since it's the same freaking binary), but yeah the concept is very cool.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
kenta said:
kenta, have you actually tried this or is this just the way you think it works? IGN just did a review of Cash Guns Chaos a few days ago and mentioned that this cross platform functionality wasn't available until they released the PSP version in 2007.

Edit: Sounds like it's just the PS3 version on the PS Store at the moment then.

theBishop

Banned
Bebpo said:
You know, if Cash, Guns & Chaos really works on the PSP...you'd think they would ADVERTISE THAT FEATURE.

I mean on the PS3 it's just a meh Smash TV clone. But on the PSP Smash TV would actually be pretty fun to play on public transportation.

Yeah, i wish we could get some confirmation on this. I honestly doubt it works as Kenta says, and i'm not going to drop $10 to find out.

hyp

jett said:
Oh crap, the games include the complete instruction manual too?

Nintendo fails, hard.

to be fair, all VC games come with an online manual as well. but pricewise, yea nintendo fails.

kenta

Has no PEINS
theBishop said:
Yeah, i wish we could get some confirmation on this. I honestly doubt it works as Kenta says, and i'm not going to drop $10 to find out.
What the heck, I'm just relaying what I saw at Gamer's Day. Like kaching said, IGN mentioned the cross-platform play would happen in 2007 when it's ready for the PSP so what more confirmation do you need

Gigglepoo

So there is no online manual for the PSX games? Seems pretty easy to provide something like that. They should allow you to "cheat" as well, Game Genie that shit up. Why not?

hyp

Gigglepoo said:
So there is no online manual for the PSX games? Seems pretty easy to provide something like that. They should allow you to "cheat" as well, Game Genie that shit up. Why not?

every game comes with a manual that is viewable on the PSP.

Pallaris

Can someone explain this 5 downloads thing once and for all?

Also might be a dumb question but can you re-download these games any number of times after they're removed from your PS3 (once the ps3-psp install happens)

Top Bottom