• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Showcase Demonstrated Sony's Efforts to Offer 'Best and Most Varied Catalog of Games', Jim Ryan Claims

Godot25

Banned
His full quote reads: "Our fans expect and deserve a steady cadence of amazing content. Today’s presentation demonstrates our unwavering commitment to offering them the best and most varied catalog of games possible. It also highlights the tremendous popularity and power of the PS5 as the global development community rallies to push its advanced capabilities to the limit. We’re investing heavily in the future with innovative best-in-class hardware like PlayStation VR2 and the newly revealed Project Q, and our expansion into PC, Mobile, and Live Service gaming is transforming how and where our content can be enjoyed."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...-most-varied-catalog-of-games-jim-ryan-claims

feynoob

Banned
images

The criticism of the showcase is a little overblown.

All of big three set expectations sky high by having some ridiculous showcase prior to console launch that has like 3 years worth of exclusive content that they want you to believe is coming out within like 6 months or a year.

Later when the console has entered its stride they pull way back and want to sell you the games that are really coming out within a given 6 months or year and it looks pathetic by comparison.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As much as the show was underwhelming for me, Jim Ryan is right. The show had something for everyone: indies, AAA, multiplayer games, single-player games, MMORPGs, single-player RPGs, etc.

The content was definitely varied.

The problems with the show lie elsewhere: (1) missing games that many fans were expecting and (2) very little gameplay footage.

feynoob

Banned
As much as the show was underwhelming for me, Jim Ryan is right. The show had something for everyone: indies, AAA, multiplayer games, single-player games, MMORPGs, single-player RPGs, etc.

The problems with the show lie elsewhere: (1) missing games that many fans were expecting and (2) very little gameplay footage.
The show should have been mostly first party games, with little bit of 3rd party games.

That is why they have state of play for 3rd party games.

Between this and their last state of play, I would say that last one had more variety than this one.

XXL

It's was a good games showcase, as there are many games I will be most likely purchasing from it.

But as a PlayStation showcase (from a 1st party perspective) it was disappointing.

I can't stand CGI trailers and there was WAY too many of them.

It should have just been a SOP, it would have been a great SOP. But calling it a PS Showcase was a mistake.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's was a good games showcase, as there are many games I will be most likely purchasing from it.

But as a PlayStation showcase (from a 1st party perspective) it was disappointing.

I can't stand CGI trailers and there was WAY too many of them.
Exactly this.

Lots of very good games that will be talked about for years: Phantom Blade 0, AC Mirage, Alan Wake 2, Towers of Aghasba, Spider-Man 2, Marathon, etc.

Just not enough PS Studios games that people were expecting in some shape or form: TLOU Factions, Ghost of Tsushima 2, new games by Team Asobi, Bluepoint, Santa Monica, etc.

Show felt more like a preview to the stuff that'll be shown at a Geoff Keighly summer games fest than it did a Sony show, that's the problem.

For me it wasn't the lack of the usual sony first party titles, it's the fact that they focused so heavily on the Gaas/live service stuff...I walked away from the show feeling like they're more concerned about finding the next Fortnite or Genshin Impact(and i get why $$$, but it doesn't mean I like any of that bullshit) rather than building the types of titles i'm interested in. As someone whose been part of their ecosystem since launch day for the PS1-that also has a series x, switch oled, and more than capable pc-, I turned the show off feeling like my tastes simply aren't represented in Sonys first party offerings for the foreseeable future. I'll probably play spider-man with my nephew though. I got hope they have some fire coming somewhere down the pipeline, but at the moment it simply isn't for me.

If people liked some of that more power to them, we aren't all supposed to like the same things. Mostly wack to me tho

Last edited:

leo-j

Sure metal gear solid is on pc and Xbox, same for marathon….. but phantom blade, spidey 2, were def good looking….. haven and firewalk announced their games too.

consoul

There was something for everyone: Remakes, Ports, Sequels AND Knock-offs.

To be fair, there was the odd fresh game in there like The Plucky Squire. I don't blame Jim or Sony. Today's showcase reflects the current state of the industry where originality is in short supply.

Pakoe

Gold Member
I kinda liked not only seeing 8 digit budget triple-a cinematic blockbusters. There was allot of variety.

Foilz

Banned
I 100% agree with that statement. Sony is on a mission to be the everyone console and that's great. But, this was your "E3" and the showcase was terrible. Outside of phantom whatever and Alan wake everything was just meh including spiderman which was more cinematic than gameplay.

Jaybe

Makes sense that showcase was stuffed with third-party games. PlayStation is the de facto platform for third-parties that wish to sell full-priced games as a business model, versus those selected by Microsoft for their Game Pass payout.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’m starting to think that Sony knew this showcase was a turd and that’s why they put it out there so much ahead of everyone else. In two weeks everyone is going to forget about it and most of the stuff that other third party companies announce will be coming to PS5 anyway.

KXVXII9X

How are they going to go on about having a varied show when they pulled studios Like Japan Studios who offered some of the most diverse and interesting games for the PlayStation brand. All the unique games are being outsourced to third parties like Kena, Sifu, Stray, and Bugsnax. I wish there was more stuff like Astrobot.

I am really excited for games like The Plucky Squire, GranBlue Fantasy, and Dragon's Dogma 2, among others, but I don't need a PS5 to play any of these. These are multiplatform games. Of course anyone can assemble a variety of multiplatform games and act like your lineup is diverse.

Most of these trailers were CG so I don't even understand how I could be excited about the diversity of gameplay since I don't even know how most play.

Mr.Phoenix

The good and sad thing is, he is telling the truth.

They showed Single player games, MP (and/or live service) games, Indies, VR... hell even a fucking movie.

The sad thing though, is that very little of what the majority of people on GAF (myself included) actually wanted to see was on there.

Duchess

At the next showcase, I want to see Sony's first party offerings. There was a handful of nice surprises yesterday, but overall it was lacking and disappointing.

All I can assume is that Sony aren't showing their first party offerings because they're simply not ready yet.

Kusarigama

agreed , showcase had something for everyone

The problems with the show lie elsewhere: (2) very little gameplay footage.
Same feeling as these two gentlemen here. I was let down because the games i liked showed very short trailers. And the games that are not for me seemed to have very long trailers.

Instead of showing 33 games they should have shown 5-10mins demos of 4 games and cut out a few unremarkable games.

Intrigued by Dragon's Dogma 2
Phantom Blade 0
Alan Wake 2
Assassin's creed Mirage
Spider-Man 2

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well yeah it was quite varied, so if that was your mission then you succeeded.

If your mission was to get your most hardcore demographics hyped, then you failed.

yza8p5b4ig661.jpg

There's no point in doing that.

As I said to someone who claimed this needed to be a "comeback" show, its a comeback from what? Winning?

The plain fact is of the big 3, Sony are the only ones to have maintained a steady cadence of big first-party titles over the entire period of pandemic disruption. They also have already announced a bunch of big first-party titles for the future.

So why do they have so much to prove? And more to the point why should it all be loaded onto this one particular showcase, which was to all intents and purposes a super-sized State Of Play?

Its not like Sony have announced that they are stopping doing regular State Of Plays as their primary PR tool and going back to one or two big showcases a year, so it has to be looked at in the context of a marketing plan of spreading out content as they have been doing for the last few years.

I do not see the issue that some people are having.

Metnut

Showcase was disappointing but he’s not wrong. In close to a 18 month period, PS5 is going to have Horizon FW, Ragnarok, FF16 and Spider-Man all exclusive to PlayStation. No one else has that kind of output.

I’m bummed out that Naughty and Bluepoint were no shows yesterday, but not worried that 2024 is going to be lean for PS given the track record.

ungalo

This "a little something for everyone" is hypocritical.

They put MGS3 in between two random games. I'm sorry, this idea that everything has to be put on the same level is either idiotic or opportunistic.

This is also some strategy to dismiss any criticism for those who want big solo games, to pretend a certain kind of player are close-minded when we are harassed with multiplayer scam games and force fed very low budget titles to fill the gap 95% of the duration of all the showcases combined.

Top Bottom