• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita 4GB 8GB 16GB & 32GB cards (picture)

Man

Aru said:
Maybe they'll include 1 GB, but I really doubt they include 4.
Game cartridges are currently at 4GB. Every consumer would have space for at least one AAA title that way directly from the PS Store. Also, 4GB is the lowest one on display here.

Omikaru

I've got about 23gb worth of downloaded content for my PSP, and I'm going to want to transfer it to PS Vita as soon as possible, whilst having enough space for a few years worth of Vita content.

I can tell you now that I'm going to need 64gb, so I'll probably wait for that and hold off on a memory card solution until I get that amount, unless the 4gb cards are cheap enough to justify having one for 9-12 months as I wait/save up for the 64gb one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Man said:
Game cartridges are currently at 4GB. Every consumer would have space for at least one AAA title that way directly from the PS Store. Also, 4GB is the lowest one on display here.

It's going to be a complete pain buying DD with a 4GB, even an 8GB card. If you get 3 2GB+ games w/ an 8GB, you're done, and have to delete/redownload and manage your games.

If 4GB cards are $20, and games you wanted were 2-2.5GB, you'd have to pay a $20 tax for every DD game you wanted if you bought 4GB cards.

So buy retail, problem solved! Right? Maybe not. What happens when the next PSP comes out, and you need to rebuy all your retail games again to play them on Sony's next system? Certainly a possibility, and point against retail. Sony has already shown any PSP titles purchased through PSN will carry over systems, so that's some incentive to buy DD, Vita games bought through PSN should also carry over.

Who cares. You know there will be dirt cheap Adapters down the line..
4wne9.jpg

(like this one)

Mr_Brit

Banned
Phantast2k said:
http://i.imgur.com/4wne9.jpg[/ IMG]
(like this one)[/QUOTE]
Don't count on it. Sony will probably be using DRM like MagicGate to ensure that only official memory cards work.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's been discussed. It won't save you any money (compare class 10 cards, same price) or wouldn't work (class 2/4 cards too slow) if Sony's new format reads in excess of 10MB/s.

Omikaru

Phantast2k said:
http://i.imgur.com/4wne9.jpg[IMG]
(like this one)[/QUOTE]Can you get these dual ones for two M2 cards? I have 2 from my PSP Go that I'd love to use as one in my PSP-1000, as I'm selling my Go shortly in preparation for the Vita.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't really care if it comes with 4GB or nothing as I will likely sell it or use it as an alt for backing up saves. I want that 32GB size at least.

Minsc said:
That's been discussed. It won't save you any money (compare class 10 cards, same price) or wouldn't work (class 2/4 cards too slow) if Sony's new format reads in excess of 10MB/s.
1) we still lack info on the specs (from what I see)
2) standard card prices always go down faster than propitiatory ones, right?

@Omikaru,
the only ones I found (on dealxtreme & ebay) are single slot m2->pro duo adapters, sorry.

Tobor

LiquidMetal14 said:
I don't really care if it comes with 4GB or nothing as I will likely sell it or use it as an alt for backing up saves. I want that 32GB size at least.
Yeah, 4GB thrown in the box is worthless to me as well. I'll need at bare minimum 16GB. I'm surprised they're even making 4GB cards.

They really need to confirm if these things are M2 Micro Memory Stick or not.

I'd like to hope my PSP Go and PS Vita can use the same cards.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
They really need to confirm if these things are M2 Micro Memory Stick or not.

I'd like to hope my PSP Go and PS Vita can use the same cards.
They already have, this is a new proprietary format, you can't use any other cards in your VITA.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd want a pouch or cleaning cloth more than a stick to be honest.

Or if they sold a premium pack for like 50-100 more with a 32GB stick and goodies I would so buy. Or how about a game, 32GB stick, cleaning cloth, pouch, and VITA for 349.nana-nine!?!?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Minsc said:

32gb micro sdhc class 10 is expensive but 16gb is only $25 and this format looks slightly more than twice the size of micro sdhc so it's not like they are running into the same limitations (also class 10 refers to write in 15-20MB/s. lower class cards can read more than 10MB/s easily)

Minsc said:

We dont know for sure, PSP was fine even with old class4 SD cards.

Shai-Tan said:
32gb micro sdhc class 10 is expensive but 16gb is only $25 and this format looks slightly more than twice the size of micro sdhc so it's not like they are running into the same limitations (also class 10 refers to write in 15-20MB/s. lower class cards can read more than 10MB/s easily)
http://droidupdate.net/kingston-delivers-32-gb-class-10-microsd-card.html

Nope.

Transfer rate is 10mb/s And when they first came out they were around $150.

nephilimdj said:
Yes, also remember you are talking about a 5 year old device. For higher end android phones of today anything under class 6 will actually cripple performance of apps saved on to it. Do you really think that for the sake of $50 sony should just keep using old tech memory cards and potentially cause a bottleneck in the system?

RavenFox

Banned
Minsc said:
I know you're being sarcastic, but people were saying suggesting they might sell the high end one (32GB) at $100 was fud, I really don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I definitely don't think they'd sell the largest memory card for over the price of the Vita itself, that'd be ridiculous. Probably why they aren't selling a 64GB model.

I think I'll go for a 32GB as that's what I have now for my PSP and it's basically full, shame they didn't put out a 64GB card.
Well they need to put out a 64gig. Even if two people buy it Ill be one of those two.

Minsc

Gold Member
nephilimdj said:

With the PSP we know for a fact developers targeted a 1.4MB/s UMD drive, so even class 2 cards were fine (2MB/s) as they are faster than the slow UMD drive. Though even that was a bit slow and developers realized this and allowed for installing data for better speeds. Cheaper class 4 mSD cards may even be class 2 speeds, but class 4 is only 4MB/s.

If these Sony cards use a new technology, or are just higher end existing speeds like 10-20MB/s, developers will then be targeting those speeds (as that is what all system will be expected to have), not the 1.4MB/s UMD drive. Using a 4MB/s card when the games are made to run at 10-20MB/s will cause all sorts of trouble.

This is to highlight Sony's new security plan. The idea is that after you turn off the Vita, you can eject your memory card, and carry it in your wallet. All your data in one safe offline place.

sphinx

the piano man
I just need a YES or NO.

So according to the pic in this thread page, sony is using cartridges for the sony vita retail games and the only media storage format the vita accepts is this new sony-owned memory sticks that are not the same as the normal pro-duo for the current PSP?

meaning, I can't use my memory stick in the next sony handhled???

Randomizer

outunderthestars said:
it's a variation on their M2 cards. The games use a custom media cart that is larger than these.

A cart larger than 32GB? I know flash memory has come down in price but won't they be insanely expensive how the hell could Sony or developers afford that?

StuBurns

Banned
sphinx said:
I just need a YES or NO.

So according to the pic in this thread page, sony is using cartridges for the sony vita retail games and the only media storage format the vita accepts is this new sony-owned memory sticks that are not the same as the normal pro-duo for the current PSP?

meaning, I can't use my memory stick in the next sony handhled???
YES

AndyD

aka andydumi
claviertekky said:
Sony could have taken the opportunity to use a standard card like SD Cards.

Sony being Sony.

I thought they are using proprietary to prevent piracy. Someone said that at one point.

Futureman

AndyD said:
I thought they are using proprietary to prevent piracy. Someone said that at one point.

That might be partially true, but there's no doubt they also went this way so they could offer the base system at $250.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Minsc said:
If these Sony cards use a new technology, or are just higher end existing speeds like 10-20MB/s, developers will then be targeting those speeds (as that is what all system will be expected to have), not the 1.4MB/s UMD drive. Using a 4MB/s card when the games are made to run at 10-20MB/s will cause all sorts of trouble.
Why would they even need that kind of speed? I mean, doesn't PS3 only read at like 9MB/s? And that can give us full HD streaming worlds depending on the game? Why would lower res assets as Vita is bound to use need more than twice that, sloppy development (like that PSP WWF game) aside?

Alextended said:
Why would they even need that kind of speed? I mean, doesn't PS3 only read at like 9MB/s? And that can give us full HD streaming worlds depending on the game? Why would lower res assets as Vita is bound to use need more than twice that, sloppy development (like that PSP WWF game) aside?
When you are making a 250$ handheld that is going to have a lifespan of more then 4 years you need to make sure that it won't be a dinosaur compared to it's competitors in a year or two, in this case cell phones. Cell phones are constantly coming out with better specs, So having an "unnecessary" amount of speed only means that 4 years later you will still be able to compete. Most people would like to call it "future proofing" and making sure that you get the most out of your investment rather than "unnecessary".

daegan

I forgot about the proprietary memory sticks when I preordered it. Hoping the details aren't too painful; I don't need another handheld that badly :eek:

Mr_Brit

Banned
Alextended said:
That could be said about anything. Why would you need 1GB of memory in Wii U, why use a blu ray drive instead of a dvd drive in Wii U, why use GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 in Wii U.

Having a guaranteed fast storage format will do a lot for games and will ease developers jobs as well as letting them get creative.

Huff

Banned
AndyD said:

Profit, Piracy, and to standard the cards so their wont be any compatibility issues.

SHAZOOM

StuBurns said:
I have two very different logical ideas of their approach. They stand to gain from making these cheap so people can buy from the PSN store more easily, so they should make them dirt cheap. However if they were dirt cheap there wouldn't be four options, there'd be one.

Seriously I expect the 32GB to be $70 - $80 range.

Ditto.

Meus Renaissance said:
Don't really see the need for anything more than 4GB unless you'll want to be carrying 720p videos and a gallery of 3MB .jpgs
What about games? Final Fantasy: Type-0 is probably around 4GB. It would be nice to have at least a few games installed simultaneously. Unless they're ridiculously overpriced, I'm planning to get a 16 or a 32GB card.

Somnid

pharmboy044 said:
Can someone explain to me why Nintendo does not use proprietary media cards? Are they not worried about piracy on the 3DS?

Dunno but they've been onboard with SD cards since the GCN days.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So just to clarify, there will be two memory slots on the Vita? One for a permanent card shown above and one for individual game cartridges? Same type, just two slots?

That's still unclear to me. If there are two, they should have made one propretary for games an an SD one for "extra".

Gravijah

AndyD said:
So just to clarify, there will be two memory slots on the Vita? One for a permanent card shown above and one for individual game cartridges? Same type, just two slots?

That's still unclear to me. If there are two, they should have made one propretary for games an an SD one for "extra".

Two slots, yes.

Top Bottom